Thread: Cleaning original figures

Court Magician

Cleaning original figures

Iíve had my loose figures on display and used to be able to do minimal cleaning with soap and water. I have several that have now progressed into that icky sticky feeling - has anyone found what works best to eliminate the sticky feeling without damaging the paint? Thanks 😊

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerinivy View Post
    I’ve had my loose figures on display and used to be able to do minimal cleaning with soap and water. I have several that have now progressed into that icky sticky feeling - has anyone found what works best to eliminate the sticky feeling without damaging the paint? Thanks ��
    I just went through this a couple of weeks ago. I pulled my figures out of storage, and found that all of my rotoplast Classics (Cygor, Tytus, Megator) had developed the stickiness.

I was able to solve it thusly:

1. Soak figure overnight or longer in a sink. Liberal amounts of dish soap. (Dawn, my usual go-to, did nothing, but Palmolive did.)

2. After soaking, use a toothbrush covered in dish soap to scrub the figure. This took care of the Megator, but Tytus and Cy-gor were really bad and seemed even stickier.

3. For those two, I covered them in baking soda for a few days. This seemed to finally kill the stick. The trick is to allow enough time for the plastic to absorb the baking soda. I suspect the sodium bicarbonate neutralizes whatever plastic degradation is taking place.

4. I washed them in the sink once more and scrubbed them clean.

You can also do this if you ever receive a toy that comes from a smoking household, and it will effectively destroy the smoke odor. If you ever receive a moldy or mildewed book or magazine, you can cover it with baking soda in and out for a few days, and it will neutralize whatever fungus is causing the odor and therefore remove the smell.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad this popped up. I recently bought a vintage Jackalman that has that sticky feeling and I was wondering how in the heck he even got that way. Soap and water haven't seemed to help, so I'm -very- excited at the prospect of baking soda doing the trick.

Court Magician
    Thank you! Baking soda may be my new best friend. LOL. 😊

i put them in the dishwasher standing up then maybe scrub the not painted parts with a toothbrush and soap.

just be careful with the painted areas, some paints come off easy than others on the figure especially the rubber parts
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version