Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 134

Thread: MOTU Origins revealed at Mattel's Toy Fair 2020 show room on Monday, Feb 24th

  1. #76
    Heroic Warrior sircory-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,514
    Not thrilled about the Walmart Exclusives to start. Hope it's not like trying to find the G1 Transformers reissues that have been Walmart Exclusives. They just never appeared around where I lived and I had to pay eBay prices.

  2. #77
    Heroic Warrior Night Stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    If you look at Toyark's pic, He-Man's colors look as vibrant as the 2019 SDCC's exclusive version. Probably the knife slot has been eliminated, but it's hard to tell from these photos alone!
    Attachment 122247
    If Mattel has nixed the knife and slot in the main Origins line, then it's down to one or two different reasons: money or safety regulation.

    Toys for children under 12 have to be safety tested by an impartial third party. Sometimes these groups assign rather arbitrary ratings. A knife that small could be viewed as a potential choking hazard, as it fits the standard windpipe blocking measurement of being under 1x2". Mattel would then have to market the line for ages 13+ instead of 8+.

    Hasbro is known to fight these arbitrary warnings. Usually they win. Mattel, on the other hand, is known for rolling over and playing dead. It wouldn't surprise me if they did this for Origins. You'll remember that almost a year ago to the day, they recalled 50,000 Barbie dolls because the pooper scooper accessory (heh) had a small magnet the size of He-Man's boot knife. This magnet could fall out and become a choking hazard.

    Or, it could be a simple cost cutting measure. I doubt this, as the mold already exists. The fact that we're seeing the knife and slot on con exclusives for adult collectors makes me think it's a safety issue rather than cost cutting.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

  3. #78
    Lord of Darkkbricks Darkkosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    1,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    If Mattel has nixed the knife and slot in the main Origins line, then it's down to one or two different reasons: money or safety regulation.

    Toys for children under 12 have to be safety tested by an impartial third party. Sometimes these groups assign rather arbitrary ratings. A knife that small could be viewed as a potential choking hazard, as it fits the standard windpipe blocking measurement of being under 1x2". Mattel would then have to market the line for ages 13+ instead of 8+.

    Hasbro is known to fight these arbitrary warnings. Usually they win. Mattel, on the other hand, is known for rolling over and playing dead. It wouldn't surprise me if they did this for Origins. You'll remember that almost a year ago to the day, they recalled 50,000 Barbie dolls because the pooper scooper accessory (heh) had a small magnet the size of He-Man's boot knife. This magnet could fall out and become a choking hazard.

    Or, it could be a simple cost cutting measure. I doubt this, as the mold already exists. The fact that we're seeing the knife and slot on con exclusives for adult collectors makes me think it's a safety issue rather than cost cutting.
    I really don't know how Mattel operates legally with their own properties, but toys like LEGO or Mega Construx for instance are full of minifigure accessories including weaponry and sharp shaped objects like swords and knives, not to mention the building pieces themselves!

    At least all they have to do is print on their packaging" Warning: Chocking Hazard, toy contains small parts. Not for children under 3 years", or something in that nature. Technically no need to eliminate a little accessory from He-Man's packaging, but again I'm not their legal department!

    Probably the choice was for a collectability reason, not a hazardous reason!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

  4. #79
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    80
    These are cool and all, and I will absolutely be buying them, but if these are "marketed for kids" then they're absolutely going to be duds. I just don't see it working. I thought they'd be more polished and marketable by now and what we saw earlier were rough cuts and concepts, but I was mistaken. Don't get me wrong, they look fun as heck to me, but they're also ugly in a way that skirts towards ReActions, and that's going to be an issue. What kid will be screaming for these in the toy aisle when there's video game tie-in lines that they're familiar with and that look just like the characters? And if these are secretly "marketed for adults" then they're going to fall well short of modern demands by the lion's share of collectors that are used to figures not looking so primitive. It'll basically be a line unto itself (doubly so with the Unobtainium-status of WWEMOTU), with no ability to mix and blend them with other lines as per the constant desire from adult buyers. So who exactly is going to be carrying the weight for these things in terms of purchases? I just don't know. It feels like there's gaps in the marketing logic behind creating this line and the direction it has taken.

    I think a lot of fans aren't being honest with themselves when they magically create scenarios in which kids will demand these. It's wishful thinking at best and spotlights a certain disconnect that runs common throughout the community where there's the tendency to transplant ones 1980s views and experiences and come away thinking kids of 2020 will be the same. Hope I'm wrong (REALLY wrong) because I love MOTU with all my heart, and time will ultimately tell.

  5. #80
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    109
    Well, you shouldn't forget the upcoming media presence for MOTU, including Netflix shows etc. So kids will be much more aware of the brand as these figures hit the shelves. Also, even the original MOTU line was designed specifically for the age group 5-8, which presumably has different demands on their toys than say, adults (or teens). Actually, I can see these working quite well - they seem sturdy enough to be thrown around the room, take a dive in a sandbox or whatever other abuse kids might think of

    But that is also why I am suspecting Mattel to secretly have something lined up for older age groups as well - maybe more along the lines of 6" with higher articulation and sculpting detail.

  6. #81
    Heroic Warrior Night Stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    I really don't know how Mattel operates legally with their own properties, but toys like LEGO or Mega Construx for instance are full of minifigure accessories including weaponry and sharp shaped objects like swords and knives, not to mention the building pieces themselves!

    At least all they have to do is print on their packaging" Warning: Chocking Hazard, toy contains small parts. Not for children under 3 years", or something in that nature. Technically no need to eliminate a little accessory from He-Man's packaging, but again I'm not their legal department!

    Probably the choice was for a collectability reason, not a hazardous reason!
    When the entire toy is a minifigure with miniature accessories, it's not an issue. When it's a large (over 3 and 3/4" ) scale, then the issue arises. You then have to get into creative ways of manufacturing accessories, like hollowing out the center so that air can still pass through if it gets lodged in a windpipe.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

  7. #82
    Heroic Warrior hlinhk128's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    KYOTO-HONG KONG-CHICAGO
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    I really don't know how Mattel operates legally with their own properties, but toys like LEGO or Mega Construx for instance are full of minifigure accessories including weaponry and sharp shaped objects like swords and knives, not to mention the building pieces themselves!

    At least all they have to do is print on their packaging" Warning: Chocking Hazard, toy contains small parts. Not for children under 3 years", or something in that nature. Technically no need to eliminate a little accessory from He-Man's packaging, but again I'm not their legal department!

    Probably the choice was for a collectability reason, not a hazardous reason!
    You could be right about that. It feels like their held hostage to exclusives which there’s only been 2 so far but something like a $200 box set won’t be purchased by little kids. And it’s probably dead on with Hasbro’s don’t care attitude. Look some of the 4” 50th Anniversary G.I. Joes and some of the 2 movie figures. They loaded those guys with about 50 accessories, all small. The Low Light sniper figure came with an actual single bullet!! 1/18th scale bullet!!! Others like Snake Eyes included knives that sheathed on him and others had arrows, darts etc. Toyguru always said Mattel has strict regulations and Mattel said they would only be tackling mini comic or Pre Filmation stuff with upscale exclusives so there’s that. Funny they pulled off the boot knife in the smaller scale and not in Classics.

    It would be nice to see if they did something like the WWE Ultimates on the side. These run 17.99-$22.99 depending where you go and these are a licensed product. We could use an extra head and maybe the extra hands. Maybe extra weapons too like Teela could get a sword to go along with the staff and shield. Mattel was pushing those Creative World dolls at Toy Fair so you can customise them how you want, even switch their genders. Since these figures are customizable, how cool would a figure with multiple heads, arms, boots etc be?

    Ooops forgot pics
    0648F0E7-92BF-4B4A-8DD2-CE51FDD4FE4B.jpeg
    Last edited by hlinhk128; February 26, 2020 at 11:31am.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Origins SDCC 2019 2 Pack, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

  8. #83
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    256
    I would love a customizable set of MOTU toys, but how exactly can you make this figure style androgynous? Like, it works for dolls, but I don't think there's a single twink in Eternia.

    But yeah, I absolutely would buy a parts pack. Maybe throw in some pieces that could be used to make obscure characters.

  9. #84
    Lord of Darkkbricks Darkkosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    1,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    When the entire toy is a minifigure with miniature accessories, it's not an issue. When it's a large (over 3 and 3/4" ) scale, then the issue arises. You then have to get into creative ways of manufacturing accessories, like hollowing out the center so that air can still pass through if it gets lodged in a windpipe.
    Is your argument based on a factual legal rule or a document, or just an assumption?

    The reason why I'm asking because I just don't know the company's rules when it comes to action figure based toys!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

  10. #85
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    Is your argument based on a factual legal rule or a document, or just an assumption?

    The reason why I'm asking because I just don't know the company's rules when it comes to action figure based toys!
    Judging by things Night Stalker says, I can only assume that they either know someone who works in the toy industry or work in it themselves.
    Anyway, I'll ask a friend of mine who worked for Mattel like a decade ago (he worked on UB Funkeys if anyone remembers that), he might know if this is like a legal thing or like some sort of internal policy.

  11. #86
    Lord of Darkkbricks Darkkosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    1,695
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Judging by things Night Stalker says, I can only assume that they either know someone who works in the toy industry or work in it themselves.
    Anyway, I'll ask a friend of mine who worked for Mattel like a decade ago (he worked on UB Funkeys if anyone remembers that), he might know if this is like a legal thing or like some sort of internal policy.
    I myself work in the industry as a subcontractor/freelancer related to a big international company, but don't know about much about the action figure legal claims and rules, specifically in the US.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

  12. #87
    Heroic Warrior Night Stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    Is your argument based on a factual legal rule or a document, or just an assumption?

    The reason why I'm asking because I just don't know the company's rules when it comes to action figure based toys!
    I'm tangentially involved in the industry, but have two very close associates who work for the two largest toy manufacturers in North America, in fairly "substantial" positions (ie, they're not the guy that delivers cases of Marvel Legends to Wal-Mart, then go on Twitter and pretend they're a Hasbro CEO). A lot of my info like this comes straight from them, but when I speculate on something I'm sure to point out that it's just speculation on my part.

    The choking hazard standards are part of the 2008 CPSIA regs, but there was additional verbiage that went into effect in 2011 that clarified some of the statutes on toy manufacturing. It's still a very nebulous law in many parts, which is what allows these third party groups to set arbitrary safety rules during testing. Think the MPAA during the 1980s.

    Things like the way Mattel views the safety testers vs the way Hasbro views them have come directly from my conversations with them. Hasbro views them as a government-mandated nuisance, one step above a meter maid, where Mattel seems legitimately afraid of them, as if they're the final authority on toy design. I'll give you an example:

    There was a Mattel figure that went off to the testing committee of a wrestler, who happened to have a PG-13 rated slogan on his shirt. The safety committee failed it on that merit alone, even though that's not criteria that's really graded. Mattel changed the slogan rather than telling the committee to kiss off and filing grievance, which they would've easily won.

    Mattel is a very cautious, very old-school company. The bureaucracy there compared to Hasbro is legendary. For a lower level manager to get a 20 minute meeting with a mid-level manager, he has to schedule 3 weeks in advance with the secretary. Hasbro, on the other hand, has a pretty open door policy. "Hey Mr. Goldner, this is Ben over in accounts payable. You got a few minutes we can talk?"

    There's a ton of stuff I wish I could say but don't want to ruffle any feathers. Let's say that this very bureaucratic, red tape-mired throwback to the sixties way of doing business is the reason we didn't have Origins on the shelf in Fall of 2019 instead of Fall 2020. It had nothing to do with the movie or tv series, it had everything to do with ego and stubbornly refusing to change with the times.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

  13. #88
    Lord of Darkkbricks Darkkosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    1,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I'm tangentially involved in the industry, but have two very close associates who work for the two largest toy manufacturers in North America, in fairly "substantial" positions (ie, they're not the guy that delivers cases of Marvel Legends to Wal-Mart, then go on Twitter and pretend they're a Hasbro CEO). A lot of my info like this comes straight from them, but when I speculate on something I'm sure to point out that it's just speculation on my part.

    The choking hazard standards are part of the 2008 CPSIA regs, but there was additional verbiage that went into effect in 2011 that clarified some of the statutes on toy manufacturing. It's still a very nebulous law in many parts, which is what allows these third party groups to set arbitrary safety rules during testing. Think the MPAA during the 1980s.

    Things like the way Mattel views the safety testers vs the way Hasbro views them have come directly from my conversations with them. Hasbro views them as a government-mandated nuisance, one step above a meter maid, where Mattel seems legitimately afraid of them, as if they're the final authority on toy design. I'll give you an example:

    There was a Mattel figure that went off to the testing committee of a wrestler, who happened to have a PG-13 rated slogan on his shirt. The safety committee failed it on that merit alone, even though that's not criteria that's really graded. Mattel changed the slogan rather than telling the committee to kiss off and filing grievance, which they would've easily won.

    Mattel is a very cautious, very old-school company. The bureaucracy there compared to Hasbro is legendary. For a lower level manager to get a 20 minute meeting with a mid-level manager, he has to schedule 3 weeks in advance with the secretary. Hasbro, on the other hand, has a pretty open door policy. "Hey Mr. Goldner, this is Ben over in accounts payable. You got a few minutes we can talk?"

    There's a ton of stuff I wish I could say but don't want to ruffle any feathers. Let's say that this very bureaucratic, red tape-mired throwback to the sixties way of doing business is the reason we didn't have Origins on the shelf in Fall of 2019 instead of Fall 2020. It had nothing to do with the movie or tv series, it had everything to do with ego and stubbornly refusing to change with the times.
    Thanks for your elaboration. Yeah I heard some eerily stuff about Mattel’s operations and how it’s structured even from some ex-managers who’ve worked there for many years, so now I can only imagine how frustrated some of their employees are if the stories are true, especially for those who work in their creative sector.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

  14. #89
    Widget
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    10
    gonna pick these up as soon as I can.

  15. #90
    Heroic Warrior AdultCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,393
    I'm hosting a "Toy Fair Discussion Series" on the Masters of the Universe Origins Fans group on Facebook, where we take a close look at the many changes being made to Mattel's Origins figures. It offers a lot of nice reference images that could be useful in the discussion here. A directory of threads for each character in this series can be found here:
    https://www.facebook.com/adultcollec...85788411573640

  16. #91
    Heroic Warrior IceyCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Castle Chill
    Posts
    3,079
    I showed the pictures on the first page to my kids and they are totally stoked. They both exclaimed 'These toys are AWESOME!'
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

  17. #92
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    435
    I am seeing already origins on sale on European online stores for may. They are not 15 bucks, am I missing something?

  18. #93
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by poderuniverso View Post
    I am seeing already origins on sale on European online stores for may. They are not 15 bucks, am I missing something?
    How much are they? In the US, the wrestling figures are $15, although idk if the pricing of the MOTU line will change because of the Coronavirus

  19. #94
    Heroic Warrior melkor23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bavaria, Germany
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    How much are they? In the US, the wrestling figures are $15, although idk if the pricing of the MOTU line will change because of the Coronavirus
    It's the usual scalper listings:

    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Masters-Of-T...l/223928952178
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Masters-Of-T...l/223928508313

    Why should the Corona virus change the price? Maybe it delays everything a bit.
    News editor on PlanetEternia.de, the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe website
    Part of "Das HE-MANische Quartett", the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe podcast

  20. #95
    Heroic Warrior Night Stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by melkor23 View Post
    It's the usual scalper listings:

    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Masters-Of-T...l/223928952178
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Masters-Of-T...l/223928508313

    Why should the Corona virus change the price? Maybe it delays everything a bit.
    The first batch of Wave II, and the second batch of Wave I were already on the boat, shipped, before the factory shut down for containment. So the Coronavirus strain shouldn't effect the initial distribution, but could slow down future production until folks stop eating bats and whatnot.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

  21. #96
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    The first batch of Wave II, and the second batch of Wave I were already on the boat, shipped, before the factory shut down for containment. So the Coronavirus strain shouldn't effect the initial distribution, but could slow down future production until folks stop eating bats and whatnot.
    Okay, that means it's time to break into the warehouse

  22. #97
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I'm tangentially involved in the industry, but have two very close associates who work for the two largest toy manufacturers in North America, in fairly "substantial" positions (ie, they're not the guy that delivers cases of Marvel Legends to Wal-Mart, then go on Twitter and pretend they're a Hasbro CEO). A lot of my info like this comes straight from them, but when I speculate on something I'm sure to point out that it's just speculation on my part.

    The choking hazard standards are part of the 2008 CPSIA regs, but there was additional verbiage that went into effect in 2011 that clarified some of the statutes on toy manufacturing. It's still a very nebulous law in many parts, which is what allows these third party groups to set arbitrary safety rules during testing. Think the MPAA during the 1980s.

    Things like the way Mattel views the safety testers vs the way Hasbro views them have come directly from my conversations with them. Hasbro views them as a government-mandated nuisance, one step above a meter maid, where Mattel seems legitimately afraid of them, as if they're the final authority on toy design. I'll give you an example:

    There was a Mattel figure that went off to the testing committee of a wrestler, who happened to have a PG-13 rated slogan on his shirt. The safety committee failed it on that merit alone, even though that's not criteria that's really graded. Mattel changed the slogan rather than telling the committee to kiss off and filing grievance, which they would've easily won.

    Mattel is a very cautious, very old-school company. The bureaucracy there compared to Hasbro is legendary. For a lower level manager to get a 20 minute meeting with a mid-level manager, he has to schedule 3 weeks in advance with the secretary. Hasbro, on the other hand, has a pretty open door policy. "Hey Mr. Goldner, this is Ben over in accounts payable. You got a few minutes we can talk?"

    There's a ton of stuff I wish I could say but don't want to ruffle any feathers. Let's say that this very bureaucratic, red tape-mired throwback to the sixties way of doing business is the reason we didn't have Origins on the shelf in Fall of 2019 instead of Fall 2020. It had nothing to do with the movie or tv series, it had everything to do with ego and stubbornly refusing to change with the times.
    I've kind of suspected IN PARTICULAR with Mattel that every time you'd hear someone say, "There are no He-Man fans left at the company!", it was actually that there were and they were all siloed in different areas making competing bids with management with very little communication between, say, the Mega team, the Imaginext team, DC, wrestling, etc. It's struck me that you could have a scenario where 5 different teams have pitches for 6-7 inch He-Man figures and they're going to be privately considered individually by management. And when one gets rejected, the designers think that was a judgment on MOTU when it was that a better proposal came in a day before. And Mattel strikes me as the kind of culture where they'd say, "We're not accepting MOTU pitches at this time" rather than "We have someone else working on that already."

    I'm curious if the Horsemen had any input into Origins at all or if their work was put in an archive somewhere.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    The first batch of Wave II, and the second batch of Wave I were already on the boat, shipped, before the factory shut down for containment. So the Coronavirus strain shouldn't effect the initial distribution, but could slow down future production until folks stop eating bats and whatnot.
    Mattel has been relocating production from China to Mexico anyway so this could just accelerate that, I'd think.

  23. #98
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    256
    Scareglow's artwork features Clamp Champ. I wonder if this means we'll get him soon.

    I really hope so, and I really hope he has his play feature. I think kids would love the clamp, and there really aren't enough black characters in the toy isle. When I was a kid, I would often project myself onto toys that look like me. I presume many others did/do the same. So this could be huge in selling these toys to kids, as there are very few black action figures. I mean, I live in a predominately black area, and like the only Star Wars toys that don't warm the pegs are Finn. And when Black Panther came out, the stores couldn't keep the toys in stock.

  24. #99
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    6,155
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I showed the pictures on the first page to my kids and they are totally stoked. They both exclaimed 'These toys are AWESOME!'
    That was my exact reaction to the images!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

  25. #100
    Heroic Warrior DC_WARLORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Skartaris, Inner Earth
    Posts
    2,522
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Scareglow's artwork features Clamp Champ. I wonder if this means we'll get him soon.
    I hope so. I've been a MOTU fan since '82, but I do not own a Clamp Champ figure.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    So this could be huge in selling these toys to kids, as there are very few black action figures. I mean, I live in a predominately black area, and like the only Star Wars toys that don't warm the pegs are Finn. And when Black Panther came out, the stores couldn't keep the toys in stock.
    I use the Black Guy head on my Royal Palace Guard.
    Odd Man Out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •