Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Origins revealed at Mattel's Toy Fair 2020 show room on Monday, Feb 24th

I agree, Icey!

My wife and I met while working at TRU, so it's always been particularly magical for us. We still haven't trekked down to the new one in Houston's Galleria, but even when we do, I know it won't have that same whimsical magic we loved. Still, it would be great to make my way down there next year and (I hope!) be able to buy a MOTU figure as I did so often as a pup in the 80s.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Not having a dedicated toy store kind of sucks the magic out of toy buying.
    So, so true.

Back in the 90s, I was buying all the Toy Biz Marvel figures, and I was constantly going to KB and TRU. That's back when toy collecting was fun and easy. Now, it's often aggrivating, expensive, non-user friendly, and full of frustration.

That's why I hope that collecting Origins is different. It's aimed at kids, so it SHOULD be easy peasy.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 26, 2020 at 03:15pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    He is great, every time he goes to Target he takes a picture of all of the ponies there to see if I am missing any. Our Target is pretty awesome and I have gotten so friendly with the staff that we are on a first name basis. I call the store and they know who I am. Over the past few years they have given me some great deals. My hubby says it is just because I am friendly and I talk to everyone. I really do miss TRU though. We were there weekly and knew most of the staff too. Not having a dedicated toy store kind of sucks the magic out of toy buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I agree, Icey!

My wife and I met while working at TRU, so it's always been particularly magical for us. We still haven't trekked down to the new one in Houston's Galleria, but even when we do, I know it won't have that same whimsical magic we loved. Still, it would be great to make my way down there next year and (I hope!) be able to buy a MOTU figure as I did so often as a pup in the 80s.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    So, so true.

Back in the 90s, I was buying all the Toy Biz Marvel figures, and I was constantly going to KB and TRU. That's back when toy collecting was fun and easy. Now, it's often aggrivating, expensive, non-user friendly, and full of frustration.

That's why I hope that collecting Origins is different. It's aimed at kids, so it SHOULD be easy peasy.
    We are all of an age now that reminisces about the glory days of walking into a huge store dedicated to toys. It was such a magical time that can never be emulated.

In the next few years or so, children will not know the joy of walking up and down aisle after aisle of action figures, cosplay accessories, stuffed animals, boardgames, videogames, bicycles, and model kits.

Technology has done wonderful things for us, the .org is a great example of like-minded people sharing about something we love... but, it has also reshaped the toy industry. Amazon, Toy Wiz, Entertainment Earth, BBTS, eBay, etc. are the new toy stores... gone are the days of traveling from one TRU to another one across town in search of that one figure you can't wait to get. Now, it's just point and click... and, depending on how much money you want to spend, no hunting necessary.

I wonder what my 8 year old self would say about me paying $50+ for a Raphael figure for which he only payed $4.99?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    So, so true.

While I miss walking into a store and seeing shelves lined with action figures, I'm not going to go so far as to say things were easier, cheaper or more fun back then.

I remember being exhausted after working a full shift, and then driving to five or six different stores trying to piece together my 200X collection. It was frustrating, and the flipper/scalping industry was taking form even then. That was the first modern toyline I collected as an adult, and it sucked.

I rarely ever hit Toys R Us because the prices were high compared to everyone else. Yes, it was impressive to be in a store dedicated solely to toys, but as a teenager with limited income, it didn't make any sense to pay 4.25 at TRU for a figure I could get for 3.50 at Wal-Mart.

Tracking down the Masters of the WWE Universe figures at Wal-Mart this last few months gave me flashbacks to the 200X days. I vastly prefer clicking a button on a website, exchanging virtual cash and having a postal worker deliver my figures to my front door over driving from store to store hoping that they have what I want in a condition that looks acceptable.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Yeah, these days the last thing I want to be doing is flipping through figures in a crowded toy aisle at a Wal-Mart that a hundred other people have touched.
    I'd be down for pre-ordering these by the case, which is also something I got hip to back in the 200X days. I think there was a site called Action Figure Express, maybe? I used to just get cases of certain waves and sell off the extras here. I still went into brick & mortar stores, but online was how I managed to get Whiplash, Two Bad, Ice Armor He-Man, Fire Armor Skeletor, etc.
    I don't want to have a monthly figure subscription like Mattycollector (shipping turned into such a waste of money), but I'd love to see distribution be a case of six a few times a year. And yeah, sure... the kids can order them this way too

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I'm not going to go so far as to say things were easier, cheaper or more fun back then.
    I suppose I made a blanket statement, but that was my personal experience in the 90s with Toy Biz Marvel figures.

I remember having a little difficulty finding Poison Ivy from Batman TAS, but it was nothing compared to what it's been like in the 2000's.

I remember being exhausted after working a full shift, and then driving to five or six different stores trying to piece together my 200X collection. It was frustrating, and the flipper/scalping industry was taking form even then. That was the first modern toyline I collected as an adult, and it sucked.
    I hear ya, brother. 200x was a completely different animal! I frigging hated 'The Hunt'!! I wouldn't have half of my 200x figures if not for the help of internet friends. To this day, I still don't know if Mattel screwed up the case ratios, or Wal-Mart. I've heard many stories.

I'm all for online shopping if you can find stuff at a decent price. It does us no good if Wal-Mart stocks Origins if Scalpers snatch up all the short packed figures!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 27, 2020 at 01:16pm.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Do we know if the first few waves will be rereleased at other stores? I mean, we know He-Man and Skeletor will be, but what about the others? Like, I'm really hoping it isn't one and done for a lot of these before the line hits like Amazon. Like, I'm really hoping we see Teela and Evil-Lyn hit Amazon since they're likely to be impossible to find.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Do we know if the first few waves will be rereleased at other stores? I mean, we know He-Man and Skeletor will be, but what about the others? Like, I'm really hoping it isn't one and done for a lot of these before the line hits like Amazon. Like, I'm really hoping we see Teela and Evil-Lyn hit Amazon since they're likely to be impossible to find.
    The official word is currently: MotU Origins will launch in USA exclusively at Walmart in Fall 2020 and then be released at every offline and online retailer in 2021: https://twitter.com/pixeldan/status/1231946842461626369
    News editor on PlanetEternia.de, the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe website
    Part of "Das HE-MANische Quartett", the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe podcast

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by toyhandle View Post
    If [hands] are not available in the mass retail release, I hope they are in some way available. I hate introducing the idea of more exclusives, but, maybe an online store like BBTS gets their release with extra hands for a couple bucks more, more like Storm's Mortal Kombat line's exclusive accessories.

I hope I'm fearing for the worst, and these figures DO come with hands. Maybe we are being shown these alternate heads with He-man, Skeletor, and Beastman as a hint that those will come included as well?

The control art of Adam and the Sky Sled has me thinking otherwise.
    I hadn't watched to the end of the Powercon 2019 Q&A, but one of the final questions was regarding the inclusion of alternate hands, and they answered that alternate SKU's was a possibility, maybe a higher price, but featuring alt weapons, heads, hands, etc. I'm happy about that!

Now to get Battlecat's paws moving.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Thanks. Ok a milestone.

Origins Release Date & Location of Purchase?

Do we know when in 2020 these will begin releasing?

And are they going to be available for sale at Target, Amazon, etc?

I believe they'll be exclusive to Walmart for 2020, then available at other stores after the holidays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Fall 2020 Walmart exclusive launch
    2021 all retailers. Nothing more concrete and pre-corona. Nobody knows if and how the crisis will delay something.

https://twitter.com/pixeldan/status/1231946842461626369
    News editor on PlanetEternia.de, the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe website
    Part of "Das HE-MANische Quartett", the No. 1 German Masters of the Universe podcast

Ah, damn. So for the first year... it's going to be a slash-someone's-throat-hunt. Because you know people are going to horde them, comic shops will buy en-mass and gouge prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Ah, damn. So for the first year... it's going to be a slash-someone's-throat-hunt. Because you know people are going to horde them, comic shops will buy en-mass and gouge prices.
    Yeah, have little to zero luck at finding anything "exclusive" at Walmart, especially in a big city.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

10/01/20 for Wal-Mart (US/Can), 1/1/21 for everyone and everywhere else.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

10/01/20 for Wal-Mart (US/Can), 1/1/21 for everyone and everywhere else.
    From where are these exact dates?

Quote Originally Posted by melkor23 View Post
    From where are these exact dates?
    An email from Mattel that made the rounds on social media late last year.

I somehow doubt the launch of these toys is going to go as planned since we're still in the grip of a worldwide pandemic and all. I'm expecting things to be pushed back a year at this point (this goes for the toys, the planned cartoons & movie, Power-Con, etc).

I have a feeling that Mattel will do a better job with making sure all characters hit major retailers when the line moves past its exclusivity at WM.

I have to say, I am most excited at this point by these more "toy-ish" lines such as MOTUO and MOTWWE, Galaxy of Adventures, and (though I haven't actually bought any) (yet!), Spin master's DC stuff. They've given me that old feeling of finding toys in an actual store, and my daughter enjoys not having to treat them with the gentle touch she's always known to use with our higher-end stuff like MOTUC. She's never been a kid to bang action figures together like a nut, but she likes that these things are durable and intended for play.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I somehow doubt the launch of these toys is going to go as planned since we're still in the grip of a worldwide pandemic and all. I'm expecting things to be pushed back a year at this point (this goes for the toys, the planned cartoons & movie, Power-Con, etc).
    Maybe not a whole year (at least for the Origins line), bet yes, I'm expecting delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I have to say, I am most excited at this point by these more "toy-ish" lines such as MOTUO and MOTWWE, Galaxy of Adventures, and (though I haven't actually bought any) (yet!), Spin master's DC stuff. They've given me that old feeling of finding toys in an actual store....
    I totally agree, Uki.

Highly detailed, Collector oriented figures are great, but the prices keep going up and up. You either have to pay a ridiculous price when they first come out, or pay quadruple that later on the secondary market. It's fine if you have an American Express black card, but not everybody does.

My point is this: I think a lot of people dislike Origins because they actually look like toys. It's a couple of steps backwards after Classics. But I'm OK with that. I'm OK with them being extremely durable, relatively cheap, and meant to be played with. They might actually be fun to collect, whereas 'adult toys' are a totally different ballgame.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 31, 2020 at 12:04am.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Maybe not a whole year (at least for the Origins line), bet yes, I'm expecting delays.
    I'm not. I think we'll be seeing retailers go back to somewhat normal by October.

U.S. Covid spread (not cases but spread) should start to level by the end of May barring a mutation.

We're going to be hand sanitizing heavy for the next year. Smaller retailers are going to have it rough. At worst, we may be looking at 1,000 deaths a day for awhile and it won't all be older people. But by October, it will be a handful a week dying and I think those of us still here will be buying toys and talking pop culture.

But I think an October holiday themed launch at a big box will be unaffected. It may be more heavily sold online. But I think we'll be -- however sad or scarred -- on the other side of this by October and so long as the government provides stimulus to average folks, average folks will be spending like normal. Honestly, if we're all a little extra sentimental, we might spend more per person than usual over the holidays.

Hmm... I might be a pessimist... lol... but I doubt there's going to be a whole lot of holiday shopping at the end of this year. Fingers crossed "we all pull through this!", but it seems like a pretty big unknown right now.
    You know hell has frozen over and the end times are truly here when one thinks "Man, if only I could get these on Mattycollector instead of having to go out". But, realistically and joking aside, I doubt I'm going to be in good enough financial shape to be snatching these up like the olden days.

I think the action figure market has plateaued once again. It was on that trajectory for awhile already, but the economic shutdown helped exacerbate the situation even sooner.

Costs were getting incrementally higher and higher. Companies have been jacking prices up to the point where the buyer just accepts that their "premium adult collector" figure is going to cost $50. Yet, quality is at an all-time low. In all honesty, the typical Ultimate or MOTUC should run no more than $20, but with all the QC of a brittle, 40 year old Mego toy, should it even cost that much?

I'm glad that Origins is $15 per figure, but objectively they should be priced at 9.99. This is where the market is heading. Economic downturns like the present one show that when it comes to frivolous buys like action figures, companies like Super7 are feeling the burn, as they're completely unwilling to price their figures reasonably.

It's hard to justify a toy buy in the first place to most people that are hurting right now, but when you can buy three Origins figures for less than the price of one Ultimates figure, that premium adult collector figure is an easy pass. Lines like Reaction are breathing their last breaths; who in their right mind (besides the obligatory toy hipster) is going to spend $18 for a Reaction figure sitting side by side with something like an Origins figure?

Don't get me wrong; there will always be a market for deluxe adult figures, but that market is shrinking daily. As the industry is largely cyclical, I foresee lines like Origins, Star Wars Retro and the upcoming 3 & 3/4 GI Joe line will be the norm rather than the exception, for probably around the next 10 years.