Thread: eBay Selling / Buying Question

Court Magician

eBay Selling / Buying Question

I have been on eBay since 1998, and I started selling on the site this year...I'm not new to auctions antics!

I bought an item, paid for it and then received a message from the seller that the order/sale was being cancelled due to eBay telling him he had a problem with his account and he had to cancel and/or remove all listings and auctions....even ended ones that had been paid but not yet shipped.

I admit, I have never heard of this before....any ideas on what is up? Or if it's just a an excuse on his part to get out of the sale...?

Thanks!

Sounds odd. Especially for all his items. Did you get your money refunded?

Heroic Warrior
    Sounds odd, but you should get a refund.

If it's just a private message from the seller I would be very suspicious.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

Unless you're getting a full refund, I'd tell Ebay about it quickly because it sounds a bit like a scam. If you paid via PayPal, they can probably yank your money back for you if things come to worse.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Court Magician
    It was weird - it actually came from eBay first, then I received a private message from the seller. It says "cancel pending" on my eBay purchases list.....

Oh well. At worst case, I'll just get AmEx involved....!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerinivy View Post
    I have been on eBay since 1998, and I started selling on the site this year...I'm not new to auctions antics!

I bought an item, paid for it and then received a message from the seller that the order/sale was being cancelled due to eBay telling him he had a problem with his account and he had to cancel and/or remove all listings and auctions....even ended ones that had been paid but not yet shipped.

I admit, I have never heard of this before....any ideas on what is up? Or if it's just a an excuse on his part to get out of the sale...?

Thanks!
    Iíve been buying and selling since 2007 and have never heard of this. Like a previous poster said, if itís coming from EBay fine but if itís just from the seller he probably got a side offer of it and wants to sell it outside of eBay. Report him, if heís done nothing wrong he has nothing to worry about. Protect yourself.

Court Magician
    Currently waiting for refund....will report him. I thought it sounded bad, but now I pretty much know it does!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerinivy View Post
    Currently waiting for refund....will report him. I thought it sounded bad, but now I pretty much know it does!

Thanks!
    Before reporting, I would ask when to expect the refund. If it doesn't come through within a reasonable time, then report. Fishy things can happen to buyers and sellers.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I had this happen about a month ago. I bought some paint from a fairly long time member who sells hobby supplies. I got a refund at the same time the cancellation notice went through. All of his listings were cancelled and when I look at my purchase history, there's a big blank spot where the listing for Testors paint listing should be, with no vendor info, just refund information.

The vendor, on his personal web page, stated that eBay pulled all his listings because he shipped model glue and paint into California where it's apparently illegal to have hobbies. He made it seem as though California threatened legal action against eBay, so eBay killed his account.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I had this happen about a month ago. I bought some paint from a fairly long time member who sells hobby supplies. I got a refund at the same time the cancellation notice went through. All of his listings were cancelled and when I look at my purchase history, there's a big blank spot where the listing for Testors paint listing should be, with no vendor info, just refund information.

The vendor, on his personal web page, stated that eBay pulled all his listings because he shipped model glue and paint into California where it's apparently illegal to have hobbies. He made it seem as though California threatened legal action against eBay, so eBay killed his account.
    That seems like it would normally be an honest mistake. Who knows lately.

Mine keeps getting weirder. I only got my refund because of PayPal. The seller now said the cancellation was my fault - I had a bad address. Ummm. Lived here since 1987....