11 78.57%
  • Sonic!

3 21.43%
  • Neither!!

0 0%

Thread: Mario or Sonic?

Mario or Sonic?

Whoo-boy!

This very question occupied many a recess back in my elementary school days!

Before Sega stopped developing hardware, they were a force to be reckoned with... and I stoutly believe that the Dreamcast is the most underappreciated console ever!

But, we're not here to talk about that. We're here to discuss the age-old '90's debate: Who is better, Mario or Sonic?

Which did you prefer growing up? And who do you appreciate more? Did your choice change over the years?

To celebrate the release of the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, I pose the above question!

Tell us about it in the thread below!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I had NES, SNES and Genesis... so I played all the 3 original marios and Super Mario world and I guess Mario 64, though that was a friends... and I played Sonic 1 and 2... I liked them all to varying degrees... but I got a lot more enjoyment from Mario. Sonic's levels (if played right) got so fast you couldn't really appreciate the wolrd designs... and Mario started getting cooler power ups and fancy suits that gave him powers. Sonic... not so much. Never watched his cartoon and ddnt' care for Mario's cartoons either... but as far as games go, I gotta go Mario.

My view of Sonic is slightly tainted. It's because, even as a kid, I recognized SEGA's attempt to create a "Mario like" mascot. IMO he felt a little forced while Mario was a character that many of us kids would take a minute to realize he was the same little guy from Donkey Kong and that "Mario Bros." game from the arcade (just hadn't paid enough attention to it up till that point).

We would already be playing Super Mario Bros 3 before Sonic made his appearance. So again, I felt like he was a forced flagship character for SEGA.

These days, I have a ton of nostalgia towards Mario and the crew, but almost none for Sonic. I imagine if you're a handful of years younger than me it might be the opposite.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    My view of Sonic is slightly tainted. It's because, even as a kid, I recognized SEGA's attempt to create a "Mario like" mascot. IMO he felt a little forced while Mario was a character that many of us kids would take a minute to realize he was the same little guy from Donkey Kong and that "Mario Bros." game from the arcade (just hadn't paid enough attention to it up till that point).

We would already be playing Super Mario Bros 3 before Sonic made his appearance. So again, I felt like he was a forced flagship character for SEGA.

These days, I have a ton of nostalgia towards Mario and the crew, but almost none for Sonic. I imagine if you're a handful of years younger than me it might be the opposite.
    I’m in your boat too. Grew up with Mario. Sonic came later and here it was the more expensive console that we couldn’t afford. So Sonic seemed to be the rich kid version of Mario. I only played it once at a friend’s. It was cool but it certainly was not Mario. I’m not even bothered to watch the movie but still love the ‘93 version of SMB (even if it was called crap back then). But I was a bit biased because it had a Roxette song in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post

And you didn't think Sega need a flagship character when Mario was already king of game flagship character?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Court Magician
    I loved them both - even though I loved Yoshi more! - but I’ll vote Sonic because I’m just an animal person!

And the fact that I could never finish Sonic 2 after my Sega died. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    And you didn't think Sega need a flagship character when Mario was already king of game flagship character?
    It just felt forced.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

Who is better, Mario or Sonic?

Mario

I like how the game plays more.
    I have more nostalgia for it too. The 1983 arcade game, Mario Bros., came out when I was around 5 years old. I watched the Mario cartoon way more than the Sonic cartoon.

Did your choice change over the years?

Not really, but even with out watching either Movie I'm sure the Sonic movie is better than the weird Mario movie.

Edit: Have people been discussing Lego Mario on the board?

Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper View Post
    Who is better, Mario or Sonic?

Mario

I like how the game plays more.
    I have more nostalgia for it too. The 1983 arcade game, Mario Bros., came out when I was around 5 years old. I watched the Mario cartoon way more than the Sonic cartoon.

Did your choice change over the years?

Not really, but even with out watching either Movie I'm sure the Sonic movie is better than the weird Mario movie.
    By design, Sega wanted their Sonic games to feel faster than the Mario games. Yuji Naka, one of the creators of Sonic, expressed his dislike for how slowly Mario and Luigi went from point A to point B...

So, not better and not worse, both Nintendo and Sega had mascots that were cool in different ways.

BTW, you are correct... the Sonic movie is gold compared to the miserable live-action Mario affair.

Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper View Post
    Edit: Have people been discussing Lego Mario on the board?
    Yes! Check it out here:

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...per-Mario-Lego
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!