Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silverhawks - Why No Love?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    The cartoon was terrible. Some of the character designs were cool but the cartoon show was terrible...but better than Tigersharks.
    Rankin Bass struck gold with Thundercats and just couldn't repeat the success.
    Did Silverhawks and Tigersharks actually even air in the UK? I have zero memory of them.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Did Silverhawks and Tigersharks actually even air in the UK? I have zero memory of them.
    Only place I remember seeing Tigersharks was on the Cartoon Cavalcade alongside Karate Kat.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I don't think it was shown in the UK. I don't recall ever seeing it on TV or ever seeing any of the toys in the shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    I had and have quite a few of the original toys. I can see how the arms would bother people but-playing with them as a kid-I was just pretending they were flying around anyway. And with that said, the lack of face plates actually bothered me more lol.

Also the Mon-Star figure was pretty frustrating cause the figure was really cool looking and pretty accurate to the cartoon but the head switch gimmick was just terrible. I really wish they made a separate figure for his other form.
    That’s how I felt too. The articulation wasn’t much worse than TC nor MOTU at the time. It was noticeable, but not a big deal.

But the missing face plates killed me as a kid. I used to stick play dough over their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Creedog View Post
    That’s how I felt too. The articulation wasn’t much worse than TC nor MOTU at the time. It was noticeable, but not a big deal.

But the missing face plates killed me as a kid. I used to stick play dough over their faces.
    HAHA! SAME!! I didn't give a crap about the articulation. In fact, I loved that they could "Fly" and pose that way... hell, I even had Silverhawks pajamas with wings under the arms and I used to "fly" all over the place!! BUT.... the face plates were the thing that bothered me. When Moonstryker came out, he had a face plate that would flip down and I remember wishing the other toys had that feature.

I just started collecting these again on ebay... very slow process (these things are not cheap!).

-Johnny C

Brian Flynn said this at Powercon 2019:

Silverhawks is a brand that Super7 is asked about the most. MOTU is more popular in Mexico than in the US. If Silverhawks figures are going to be made, it will likely happen after ThunderCats.
    So, S7 has definitely heard us. And they know that there is demand out there. But it sounds like they may be waiting to see how well Thundercats does before they go down that road.

Plus, Ultimates Silverhawks will be a tough toy to pull off. They will require two heads (masked/unmasked), articulated/removable wings, as well as articulated companion bird figures.

But the biggest hurdle will be VAC metal. S7 was able to pull it off with He-Ro, but that had limited articulation, with low rubbing potential, and only applied to part of the toy. Full Vac metal plating (except for face and forearm), may be impossible to pull off, at least cost effectively. My guess is S7 would rather not do them at all, than do them with paint and hear the backlash from us about “no vac metal” Silverhawks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    HAHA! SAME!! I didn't give a crap about the articulation. In fact, I loved that they could "Fly" and pose that way... hell, I even had Silverhawks pajamas with wings under the arms and I used to "fly" all over the place!! BUT.... the face plates were the thing that bothered me. When Moonstryker came out, he had a face plate that would flip down and I remember wishing the other toys had that feature.

I just started collecting these again on ebay... very slow process (these things are not cheap!).

-Johnny C
    I had those pajamas too! I have a pic of me in them on Christmas morning.

I currently display the Silverhawks team on my main shelf, at the very top. I even have Quicksliver MOC displayed next to them. Talk about a figure that wasn’t cheap!

4FD32B07-3507-417C-90EC-A72B29C7D598.jpg
    Last edited by Creedog; March 12, 2020 at 03:29pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Creedog View Post
    Brian Flynn said this at Powercon 2019:

So, S7 has definitely heard us. And they know that there is demand out there. But it sounds like they may be waiting to see how well Thundercats does before they go down that road.

Plus, Ultimates Silverhawks will be a tough toy to pull off. They will require two heads (masked/unmasked), articulated/removable wings, as well as articulated companion bird figures.

But the biggest hurdle will be VAC metal. S7 was able to pull it off with He-Ro, but that limited articulation, with low rubbing potential, and only applied to part of the toy. Full Vac metal plating (except for face and forearm), may be impossible to pull off, at least cost effectively. My guess is S7 would rather not do them at all, than do them with paint and hear the backlash from us about “no vac metal” Silverhawks.

- - - Updated - - -

I had those pajamas too! I have a pic of me in them on Christmas morning.

I currently display the Silverhawks team on my main shelf, at the very top. I even have Quicksliver MOC displayed next to them. Talk about a figure that wasn’t cheap!

4FD32B07-3507-417C-90EC-A72B29C7D598.jpg
    I had no idea Brian at Super7 had commented on this. That's good info and I'm glad it's on the radar. I'm in agreement with you on the vac-metal sentiments, however, I'd be inclined to not care abut rub off, simply because I don't play with my figures like that. They're posed once and displayed. However, I do realize that a lot of collectors out there don't treat their figures the same as I do, so I'm sure it would be an issue. The cartoon doesn't show these guys as super shiny, so maybe they could get away with a less shiny finish... but that vac-metal is just too pretty, it's almost a necessity.

Good to hear I wasn't the only one with those pajamas! HA! They were pretty sweet!

-Johnny C

I have a lot of love for Silverhawks. But I'm at a point now where I just don't want any more 80's properties getting remakes.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Vac metal doesn't bother me one way or another. If S7 painted the 'hawks in a nice, bright metallic color, and hell, even gave smaller details vac metal highlights that weren't near moving joint pieces, I'd be happy. Just don't use dull silver colors, or even worse, unpainted colored plastic, and the figures would be awesome, imo

I love the song and the character designs are neat, but the cartoon wasn't as memorable when it comes to the story.

That's probably why there's less nostalgia for the toys. Plus I think the Retroblasting YouTube channel mentioned something about the toys not available right away or something.

Silverhawks would be the perfect thing to remake because even if it's not accurate to the cartoon it won't be ti disappointing. But movie people only do the guarantied profit figuring even if it's bad a big brand will still rake in the cash.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'm a big SilverHawks fan. I STILL have my figures and vehicles. The Maraj, Sprinthawk and Skyrunner! I'm STILL missing MoonStryker and Windhammer! The last wave of figures were incredibly hard to find, even back in the day! And they came out without warning! Ultrasonic suit variants, some more Mob members and the two final SilverHawks. I thought the line died with Condor and Hardware. Years later, I discover Windhammer and MoonStryker came out!

You can translate the SilverHawks' main "wing it" feature to modern toys. Maybe having them to be normal figures with attachable wings, but not have spring loaded arms? The visors can be alternate heads. No vac metal painting though. That flaked like crazy back in the day!

There's a definite hierarchy. ThunderCats is known best, SilverHawks is more obscure and TigerSharks is damn near unknown. (And I still have all of mine...just missing Dolph!)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Only place I remember seeing Tigersharks was on the Cartoon Cavalcade alongside Karate Kat.
    The Comic Strip in the US. TigerSharks, Mini Monsters, Street Frogs and Karate Kat were aired in this two hour block on Sunday mornings! All RankinBass cartoons!

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'm a big SilverHawks fan. I STILL have my figures and vehicles. The Maraj, Sprinthawk and Skyrunner! I'm STILL missing MoonStryker and Windhammer! The last wave of figures were incredibly hard to find, even back in the day! And they came out without warning! Ultrasonic suit variants, some more Mob members and the two final SilverHawks. I thought the line died with Condor and Hardware. Years later, I discover Windhammer and MoonStryker came out!
    Would love to see a pic of this collection if you get time.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    The last wave of figures were incredibly hard to find, even back in the day!
    I got the last series of both New Adventures of He-Man and SilverHawks at KBToys for a deep discount.

You can translate the SilverHawks' main "wing it" feature to modern toys. Maybe having them to be normal figures with attachable wings, but not have spring loaded arms? The visors can be alternate heads. No vac metal painting though. That flaked like crazy back in the day!
    You are basically describing the series two figures, which had select vacmetal parts, flippable visors, and detachable wings.

My brother and I used to love Silver Hawks. I shared the show with my kids and they really dug it too.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Would love to see a pic of this collection if you get time.
    DITTO!!

-Johnny C

Heroic Warrior
    The one thing is that for me silverhawks demands vac metal. I'd be willing to sacrifice some articulation to get them in ultimates scale but with vac metal

I knew I had some Silverhawks, but I recently looked them up and we had a lot more than I realized. Mainly villains. I had the big Tally Hawk, which was super memorable and was played with for years as we moved on to Turtles. But we had Quicksilver, Backlash, Stargazer, Monstar, Molecular, Mumbo Jumbo, and Buzzsaw. That’s a pretty respectable set!

So when Brian hinted that there might be hope for them in the future, I was pretty excited. I’m not too fussed about Vac Metal. I like how Classics He-Ro came out with his matte, almost mustard gold. They’ve got to be in the established Classics/Ultimates form factor or articulation scheme for me to be into them, though. Need that visual continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I knew I had some Silverhawks, but I recently looked them up and we had a lot more than I realized. Mainly villains. I had the big Tally Hawk, which was super memorable and was played with for years as we moved on to Turtles. But we had Quicksilver, Backlash, Stargazer, Monstar, Molecular, Mumbo Jumbo, and Buzzsaw. That’s a pretty respectable set!

So when Brian hinted that there might be hope for them in the future, I was pretty excited. I’m not too fussed about Vac Metal. I like how Classics He-Ro came out with his matte, almost mustard gold. They’ve got to be in the established Classics/Ultimates form factor or articulation scheme for me to be into them, though. Need that visual continuity.
    Oh! When and where did Brian mention that?? I hadn’t heard!

-Johnny C

Heroic Warrior
    I have always preferred Thundercats to Silverhawks, though at least Silverhawks gets more love then Tigersharks.

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    Oh! When and where did Brian mention that?? I hadn’t heard!

-Johnny C
    In his interview with Pixel Dan that was just released recently. He said it'll be awhile but they are thinking about it as a possibility.
    Changed my blog Alexis' Treasures!/

I'm Bacccck!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisLasek View Post
    In his interview with Pixel Dan that was just released recently. He said it'll be awhile but they are thinking about it as a possibility.
    Yeah, I went back and saw that. I'm really glad it's on the radar, at least. It deserves to be! If Thundercats does well for them, I am certain that Silverhawks will at least have SOME characters thrown in there, if not a spin-off line entirely. A glimmer of hope anyway!

-Johnny C

Yeah, I went back and saw that. I'm really glad it's on the radar, at least. It deserves to be! If Thundercats does well for them, I am certain that Silverhawks will at least have SOME characters thrown in there, if not a spin-off line entirely. A glimmer of hope anyway!

-Johnny C
    I mean, Brian basically said that S7 is going to do them, but not till later, potentially after Thundercats. If that is true, then we have at LEAST 2 years before we see Silverhawks Ultimates prototypes, 3’years before we get them in hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I’m not too fussed about Vac Metal. I like how Classics He-Ro came out with his matte, almost mustard gold. They’ve got to be in the established Classics/Ultimates form factor or articulation scheme for me to be into them, though. Need that visual continuity.
    I would certainly buy Silverhawks Ultimates without vac metal, but would prefer it. They would look amazing! But whatever it takes to get these figures, I’m in.

Brian/S7 is doing a multi part “ask me anything” currently, but they said they wouldn’t discuss future IPs, and they had over 700 questions the first round.

Pixel Dan is also doing (potentially weekly?) interviews with Brian Flynn during the quarantine (mentioned above). He answered my Silverhawks question I posted on Dans Patreon, despite stating they wouldn’t answer future IP questions.

I’ll make sure to keep the Silverhawks questions coming for Dans interview series. I think I’ll ask about S7’s thoughts on vac metal for Silverhawks Ultimates next time. He may provide insight into their thought process currently, which would be great.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd want S7 Silverhawks to be vac metal but if that wasn't possible, I think I'd be content with the approach Hasbro seem to be doing with their upcoming 6 inch Destro.

I Think they were totally cool, actually I discovered them before Thundercats being premeried on TV.
    I'd be in for MOTUC-style Silverhawks for the main characters, well not that there were that many (just like in Bravestarr or Blackstarr series) but count me in, possibly not in vac metal
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    I'd want S7 Silverhawks to be vac metal but if that wasn't possible, I think I'd be content with the approach Hasbro seem to be doing with their upcoming 6 inch Destro.
    That’s a great point. Destro’s head paint looks fantastic, and would be a nice fall back if vac metal isn’t viable.