Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 666

Thread: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

  1. #251
    Heroic Warrior manowar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,028
    Remember that Europe is much smaller than the United States. Italy is slightly smaller than California. So when you hear about "cases in the US are larger than..." you have to take in to account of the overall population of the US.

    However, we're in the early stages of the outbreak, and things are on the rise. It may be a while before we plateau and the confirmed cases are accurately measured. We're still not testing enough yet. We still don't know the actual number of people infected.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  2. #252
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    4,175
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    Remember that Europe is much smaller than the United States. Italy is slightly smaller than California. So when you hear about "cases in the US are larger than..." you have to take in to account of the overall population of the US.

    However, we're in the early stages of the outbreak, and things are on the rise. It may be a while before we plateau and the confirmed cases are accurately measured. We're still not testing enough yet. We still don't know the actual number of people infected.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Its pretty much a dead cert all over the world that the number of actual cases is far higher than confirmed cases. For example, two weeks ago in the UK, even though the confirmed cases were just over 1000 (could have been slightly lower, actually), it was said that the actual real number was probably more in the region of 55,000. Now we have over 11,000 confirmed cases over here, so god only knows how many actual overall cases there are now. Every country can pretty much say the same.

  3. #253
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    37,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Its pretty much a dead cert all over the world that the number of actual cases is far higher than confirmed cases. For example, two weeks ago in the UK, even though the confirmed cases were just over 1000 (could have been slightly lower, actually), it was said that the actual real number was probably more in the region of 55,000. Now we have over 11,000 confirmed cases over here, so god only knows how many actual overall cases there are now. Every country can pretty much say the same.
    That has to be a certainty. There's no telling how many people have not reported anything, as they are asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms. And these are people who are spreading it, unknowingly.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  4. #254
    Heroic Warrior moltak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Your opinion was solicited.
    Iím well aware! Always have been.

    Thereís a reason I addressed that response to people other than you. Some people thrive on trolling othersí comments, for no reason whatsoever, while having nothing substantive to add. Perhaps it fills a void in their social lives.

    Btw well played on the Spock references. Poignant and amusing.

  5. #255
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    6,309
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That has to be a certainty. There's no telling how many people have not reported anything, as they are asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms. And these are people who are spreading it, unknowingly.
    The more normalized we become to social-distancing, the more lackadaisical people become... they begin leaving the house more and putting themselves in contact with others.

    Now that the shock has somewhat worn off, more and more people are thinking that it's okay getting together again... but, it is not. As you stated, anyone could be a carrier and not be affected by the virus.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

  6. #256
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,751
    My work had strongly encouraged working from home and now it is being mandated. I kind of enjoyed working in the offices with about 5 percent of the people there. It is going to be harder to get stuff done with the kids around. My work computer set up only works decently in a couple places in the house.

    My birthday is this Sunday and my youngest kid's is this Tuesday. He was going to have his birthday party tomorrow, but that is of course canceled. I did manage to get him some presents before things got too crazy.

    I'm not into exercise videos, but I'm probably going to have to figure something out with the gyms closed. At the gym, I usually used the machines or free weights, but never went to classes. I have very little exercise stuff at home. I have gone to a trail a few times that isn't heavily used.

  7. #257
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,352
    I hope everyone's safe.

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

  8. #258
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Its pretty much a dead cert all over the world that the number of actual cases is far higher than confirmed cases. For example, two weeks ago in the UK, even though the confirmed cases were just over 1000 (could have been slightly lower, actually), it was said that the actual real number was probably more in the region of 55,000. Now we have over 11,000 confirmed cases over here, so god only knows how many actual overall cases there are now. Every country can pretty much say the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That has to be a certainty. There's no telling how many people have not reported anything, as they are asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms. And these are people who are spreading it, unknowingly.
    While I'll agree there probably are more cases than what are being tested, I find it hard to believe there's that many more out there that have it at any given time. My belief being based off the percentage of people willingly getting tested that turn out to be negative for the virus. If there really were 55,000 for every 1000 confirmed, I would HAVE to think the number of people being tested and confirmed would be higher.

    I'm just not big on speculating only on how bad something may be. I'm all for doing what's necessary to prevent what may be. But I don't want to give up hope that it may not.

    Edit: Never mind. Just read some local information that implies Alabama's nearly doubled cases in the last 2 days may be directly attributed to people attending church services together Sunday. We will suffer for the bad decisions of the world.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    My work had strongly encouraged working from home and now it is being mandated. I kind of enjoyed working in the offices with about 5 percent of the people there. It is going to be harder to get stuff done with the kids around. My work computer set up only works decently in a couple places in the house.

    My birthday is this Sunday and my youngest kid's is this Tuesday. He was going to have his birthday party tomorrow, but that is of course canceled. I did manage to get him some presents before things got too crazy.

    I'm not into exercise videos, but I'm probably going to have to figure something out with the gyms closed. At the gym, I usually used the machines or free weights, but never went to classes. I have very little exercise stuff at home. I have gone to a trail a few times that isn't heavily used.

    We're having to look into increasing our cable internet speed due to all the kids now being on online classes as well as the real possibility that my wife will soon be working from home more often. Sorry to hear about your son's birthday. Hopefully he'll enjoy whatever you guys end up doing just as much.

    Pushups and pullups are you're friends right now with no gym
    Last edited by Dice; March 27, 2020 at 08:55am.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

  9. #259
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    6,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    My work had strongly encouraged working from home and now it is being mandated. I kind of enjoyed working in the offices with about 5 percent of the people there. It is going to be harder to get stuff done with the kids around. My work computer set up only works decently in a couple places in the house.

    My birthday is this Sunday and my youngest kid's is this Tuesday. He was going to have his birthday party tomorrow, but that is of course canceled. I did manage to get him some presents before things got too crazy.

    I'm not into exercise videos, but I'm probably going to have to figure something out with the gyms closed. At the gym, I usually used the machines or free weights, but never went to classes. I have very little exercise stuff at home. I have gone to a trail a few times that isn't heavily used.

    Happy Birthday!
    (Or, are you just fooling us? )

    The gym being closed was a big downer for me too... I was going almost everyday after work, and after we were mandated to stay home, I was going almost twice daily!

    Now, I've been using what little equipment I have at home (cowbells, barbells, exercise weight ball, and resibands), but it's not the same thing.

    Check online for some good "at home exercise" resources. There are quite a few of them.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

  10. #260
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    37,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Edit: Never mind. Just read some local information that implies Alabama's nearly doubled cases in the last 2 days may be directly attributed to people attending church services together Sunday. We will suffer for the bad decisions of the world.
    It doesn't take much!
    All you need is one infected person who doesn't know it. And in a group setting like that where people refuse to self-isolate and insist on a big social gathering, it can spread to a LOT of people with ease.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  11. #261
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,863
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It doesn't take much!
    All you need is one infected person who doesn't know it. And in a group setting like that where people refuse to self-isolate and insist on a big social gathering, it can spread to a LOT of people with ease.
    At this point I believe many people will not heed the warnings and it will continue to spread. I forgot about how many willfully ignorant people there are out there making bad decisions every day. I trust they will continue to spread this virus to those of us trying to be careful.

    It sucks.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

  12. #262
    Ancient One zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    14,772
    It does.
    I stopped working as of this past Monday and have mixed feelings about it.
    On the one hand, I'm glad I'm not around the public because the past couple of weeks, as we adjusted our hours and streamlined our service model, we were seeing less and less of our regulars and more and more folks who were just meandering about, bored, who've never come into the shop before. And a majority of those folks, a lot in their 20s (some in the 60-70 range) were acting put off and flabbergasted about the whole affair, acting like our one little coffee shop in Austin, TX were the only place on the planet taking preventative measures to curb the spread of the virus by doing take-out only, blocking off our indoor seating, etc. These are the types of folks that were saying just as recently as Monday that "it's just the flu", "it only kills old people", and no doubt are the types still crowding churches, ramming a grocery cart up your butt while grocery shopping in the age of physical distancing, partying around the local swimming holes, going out in large groups on the hike and bike trails, still searching for brunch.
    On the other hand, while it's great (and rare in my profession) that my little independently owned shop has committed to paying us while we are closed through the month of April, the truth is- we don't know what's going to happen come May. Will we be out of business? Will we open with limited hours and still scaling back what we can do? Will the virus be even worse in our neck of the woods in a few weeks, ensuring we'll be locked down for even longer? Where is the money to pay bills going to come from a few weeks from now? And I don't mean just me, but the business itself that I work for. Is our relationship with the landlord THAT good that he's going to be lenient if my bosses can't pay May or June's rent on time? What happens when our local vendors are suddenly out of business because of this?
    So yes of course I would love to get back to work, but it doesn't seem safe to just yet, because a lot of people can't control themselves or curb their behavior in public.
    This is one of those things where you can confidently say that people's selfishness, ignorance and stupidity are actually causing rampant sickness and death.
    And not to sound like a parent, but "I'm not mad at you world, I'm just disappointed."
    Last edited by zodak74; March 27, 2020 at 03:27pm.

  13. #263
    Heroic Warrior Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    5,702
    Well as of today I am officially under a 14 day quarantine. It seems the dispatcher at my plant has tested positive for the virus and everybody in my building, all 25 of us, have been ordered to quarantine. The dispatcher came into work willingly despite the fact that she knew she was sick and wasn't feeling well.

    The worst part about this whole fiasco is that my 74 yo mother just returned to our home 3 days ago from the nursing home after suffering a stroke about a month ago. She also is under quarantine now with me since I could have infected her already. A few days ago I was ecstatic to have her home, now I'm ****** to say the least.

  14. #264
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    6,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Well as of today I am officially under a 14 day quarantine. It seems the dispatcher at my plant has tested positive for the virus and everybody in my building, all 25 of us, have been ordered to quarantine. The dispatcher came into work willingly despite the fact that she knew she was sick and wasn't feeling well.

    The worst part about this whole fiasco is that my 74 yo mother just returned to our home 3 days ago from the nursing home after suffering a stroke about a month ago. She also is under quarantine now with me since I could have infected her already. A few days ago I was ecstatic to have her home, now I'm ****** to say the least.
    How do you feel towards the female co-worker who knowingly came in despite her being sick?

  15. #265
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    10,124
    Quote Originally Posted by moltak View Post
    I’m well aware! Always have been.

    There’s a reason I addressed that response to people other than you. Some people thrive on trolling others’ comments, for no reason whatsoever, while having nothing substantive to add. Perhaps it fills a void in their social lives.

    Btw well played on the Spock references. Poignant and amusing.

    As are you.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

    Happy Birthday!
    (Or, are you just fooling us? )

    The gym being closed was a big downer for me too... I was going almost everyday after work, and after we were mandated to stay home, I was going almost twice daily!

    Now, I've been using what little equipment I have at home (cowbells, barbells, exercise weight ball, and resibands), but it's not the same thing.

    Check online for some good "at home exercise" resources. There are quite a few of them.

    I've never been a fan of anything but free weights. Have a ton in our home. But when Kim's Fit Body Boot Camp got closed about three weeks ago she ordered the Echelon Smart Connect Bike EX5S. She killed it and I decided to give it a try. One time and I was hooked. Now I'm doing the bike three times a week and heavy weights twice a week. I'm loving it. Btw, it's over a thousand dollars less than Peleton and nothing but 5 star reviews. Best of all, they offer no money down, full financing. (Can I say that? )

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    How do you feel towards the female co-worker who knowingly came in despite her being sick?

    Forced him into self-quarantine, put his beloved mother at risk. How do you think he feels, asking him to articulate something so painful?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Well as of today I am officially under a 14 day quarantine. It seems the dispatcher at my plant has tested positive for the virus and everybody in my building, all 25 of us, have been ordered to quarantine. The dispatcher came into work willingly despite the fact that she knew she was sick and wasn't feeling well.

    The worst part about this whole fiasco is that my 74 yo mother just returned to our home 3 days ago from the nursing home after suffering a stroke about a month ago. She also is under quarantine now with me since I could have infected her already. A few days ago I was ecstatic to have her home, now I'm ****** to say the least.
    So very sorry for what you and your precious mother are going through, Bonehead. Prayers offered...
    Last edited by Uki; March 28, 2020 at 06:00pm.

  16. #266
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It doesn't take much! All you need is one infected person who doesn't know it. And in a group setting like that where people refuse to self-isolate and insist on a big social gathering, it can spread to a LOT of people with ease.
    Agreed. I can completely see someone having to go out to shop, to work (if they can't or aren't allowed to work at home, and/or have jobs that require them to physically be on the job), to get gas, to the doctor/hospital in an emergency, etc. However, having completely unnecessary parties & potentially spreading the virus as a result is selfish, irresponsible, and just plain $#%#%@# stupid. No wonder the virus numbers are going up here in the U.S.

  17. #267
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    4,175
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    How do you feel towards the female co-worker who knowingly came in despite her being sick?
    What a ridiculous post. Is this parody or something?

  18. #268
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    6,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    What a ridiculous post. Is this parody or something?
    No. I don't see it as so black and white. I'm not assuming he hates the co-worker, before or after the incident. He may have had a relationship with the co-worker prior. Maybe a good one. If he did, (or I did in his position) I would be angry as he indicated. But I may also have mixed feelings toward the co-worker if I knew him/her. If it was someone I liked, and had worked with well and/or cared about, then the person made this mistake, does that not warrant some degree of mixed feelings?

    That's why I was asking.
    Last edited by RockinHard; March 27, 2020 at 09:04pm.

  19. #269
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    10,124
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    No. I don't see it as so black and white. I'm not assuming he hates the co-worker, before or after the incident. He may have had a relationship with the co-worker prior. Maybe a good one. If he did, (or I did in his position) I would be angry as he indicated. But I may also have mixed feelings toward the co-worker if I knew him/her. If it was someone I liked, and had worked with well and/or cared about, then the person made this mistake, does that not warrant some degree of mixed feelings?

    That's why I was asking.
    At best, poor timing considering what his mother is going through.

  20. #270
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    6,451
    It was a genuine question with no ill-will. And I meant no ill-will to Bonehead. If the two of us were in a car together and he shared this with me, as he did here for all of us, I would ask him that question, not knowing the background. It wouldn't be malevolent then, it's not now. It would be to talk about a topic he brought up with him, as people do to hear them out and let them express themselves.

    If I shared with you that a guy was playing me in a game of soccer and he broke my leg, shattering it, and it could cause irreparable harm, and I was angry about it, would you assume I hated him or had ill-will towards the person/player? Would it be inappropriate to ask me if I knew the guy and what our relationship was like since I'm willing to tell you about the incident (or what I had told you to that point)? Not to me. It would allow me to talk about it and express my feelings on it, which I surely wanted to do by sharing it with you in the first place.
    Last edited by RockinHard; March 27, 2020 at 10:13pm.

  21. #271
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    My work had strongly encouraged working from home and now it is being mandated. I kind of enjoyed working in the offices with about 5 percent of the people there. It is going to be harder to get stuff done with the kids around. My work computer set up only works decently in a couple places in the house.

    My birthday is this Sunday and my youngest kid's is this Tuesday. He was going to have his birthday party tomorrow, but that is of course canceled. I did manage to get him some presents before things got too crazy.

    I'm not into exercise videos, but I'm probably going to have to figure something out with the gyms closed. At the gym, I usually used the machines or free weights, but never went to classes. I have very little exercise stuff at home. I have gone to a trail a few times that isn't heavily used.
    I've been using Ring Fit Adventure and Beat Saber for like working out, and it's been great. Although, I've heard that Ring Fit's been hard to find.

  22. #272
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    327
    I've heard about some churches still being open during this pandemic. Any church that is still open for services is being irresponsible at best & suicidal at worst.

    The most egregious example of this is the nimrod pastor in Louisiana who recently bussed in 1,000+ people for services! This guy should be arrested for doing this. He's putting lives at risk! To make matters worse, he says that the coronavirus is politically motivated. As far as I'm concerned, pastors/preachers that do this are almost as bad as that Jim Jones.

    It's people like this that are the reason this virus is spreading. His congregation is just as bad, because they're following him & listening to him. What a bunch of sheep:

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...168501I've
    Last edited by man-e-faces; March 27, 2020 at 11:35pm.

  23. #273
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    4,175
    Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post
    I've heard about some churches still being open during this pandemic. Any church that is still open for services is being irresponsible at best & suicidal at worst. The most egregious example of this is the nimrod pastor in Louisiana who recently bussed in 1,000+ people for services! This guy should be arrested for doing this. He's putting lives at risk! To make matters worse, he says that the coronavirus is politically motivated. It's people like this that are the reason this virus is spreading. His congregation is just as bad, because they're following him & listening to him. What a bunch of sheep:

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...168501I've
    Utterly backwards and a complete danger. He should be stopped. Other countries are bringing in fines or even jail terms for people like this.

  24. #274
    Heroic Warrior manowar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,028
    There was a religious school here in Illinois that refused to close after being ordered to by our Govenor. The state police went out and blocked access and refused to let the school reopen until mandated.

    I understand in these unusual times, people are scared and turn to faith for comfort and direction, but no religious leader should use this desperate situation to fuel the fire of fear in people and take advantage of their misgivings.

    Churches are closing because people can no longer afford to donate when they're living check to check. People quit going when fear tactics are being used to make them conform to a doctrine of bigotry, exclusion, and outdated beliefs.

    It will be more apparent in situations like these when a parish like this becomes sick from a pandemic, and it loses its members from death and opens their eyes knowing they all prayed, practiced the same beliefs, attended the same services, and they still died. Some will see the folly of it, others will believe their righteousness saved them, and those who died did so because of the will of their God, when in reality, it couldn't be farther from the truth.

    Those who will be saved are the ones who stay home, help those who are isolated, stay connected without connecting in person, care enough to distance themselves without becoming distant. Welcoming back all your flock when the time is right instead of remembering them in a eulogy.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  25. #275
    Heroic Warrior Night Stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    766
    I heard a guy at work stating that his church was going to keep its doors open, even if they had to fight the government.

    "That's unbiblical," I said.

    "Excuse me?"

    "That's unbiblical. You got your bible on you?"

    "No."

    "When you get home, read chapters 13 and 14 of Leviticus. The infected have to remain outside of the congregation until they've been clean for seven days."

    "Yeah," he said, "but that's for leprosy."

    "They're both infectious diseases transmitted by human contact. COVID-19 actually will kill you, unlike leprosy. God's decree was in place to keep the disease from spreading. If God wanted everyone to meet in church and infect one another, he would have said 'at the first sign of infection, gather everyone together in close confines so that everyone is sure to catch the disease.' So your defiance of these containment procedures is unbiblical as well as dangerous."

    He didn't have much to say after that.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •