Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1275

Thread: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Master of New Adventures!
    Thank you, DadStrong. I have good days and not so good days. It's been challenging and my docs tell me it will continue to be so this year. I guess I have a choice:

"Get busy living, or get busy dying..."

Andy Dufresne, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

Quote Originally Posted by DadStrong View Post
    I share that same trait.. once you¬’ve been used to going and pushing yourself for so long, it¬’s hard to stop. Some people are wired like that and I personally wouldn¬’t have it any other way. I¬’ve been on sleeping medication since I was in my early 20s (41 now) because my brain does not shut down, so I have to shut it down. My father was the same way and he had a massive stroke 3 years ago and passed away from it. I just hope I don¬’t head down that path.

Just make sure you take care of yourself and keep progressing to that goal!

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Thank you, DadStrong. I have good days and not so good days. It's been challenging and my docs tell me it will continue to be so this year. I guess I have a choice:

"Get busy living, or get busy dying..."

Andy Dufresne, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
    Great movie!!!!
    Instagram: dadhausen

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    I think my side effects from the second shot may have been more pronounced because I've lost a step physically/strength wise having gone through a mini-heart attack two months ago, a ministroke sixteen months ago and a medical setback issue recently.

Still, my docs approved my getting the second COVID-19 shot, I navigated it pretty well and am feeling fine now, returning to weightlifting and the treadmill for a total of six days a week. I'll confess I find it a little humiliating that I'm having to work out with 20 lbs. dumbbells for an hour, granted doing more reps, when pre-heart attack and pre-ministroke I was using 45 lbs. dumbbells. My doctors tell me I need to think of my recovery as a marathon rather than a sprint and that it will take me at least six months to twelve months of hard work to get back up to 45 lbs. dumbbells again. I intend to stay with whatever weight I'm using for a month, then move up five pounds in each dumbbell for the next month, so in two weeks I jump up to 25 lbs. dumbbells, which still sounds pathetically light to me. Kim always says I'm impatient. She's right and it's tough for me to go slow, but I don't have a choice. The reality is that I've already regained a good degree of muscle definition and am starting to feel stronger, but occasional fatigue is still a humiliating factor for me. I don't like that I sometimes have no choice but to doze off for a couple of hours in mid-afternoon. That's never been me before...

I'll get there. It'll just take a while and it helps so much that I have the support of an amazing medical team, my family and my friends on he-man.org.
    Jack I hope everything gets better soon and sorry about thje mini heart attack and mini stroke.
    Changed my blog Alexis' Treasures!/

I'm Bacccck!

Thank you, Alexis. The worst part is the numbing fatigue that lingers because of the physical damage that was done to me by the one-two punch combination of my ministroke and my 'minor' heart attack, although they were a year apart.

I count my heavenly stars that there was no lasting cognitive damage. I did have a period after the mini-stroke when I was occasionally stumbling over a word or two, but the nerve paths in my brain have rerouted things so I'm now fine now in that regard. But it's going to take me a while to get my strength back. It's a process. I'm spending a lot of time on the weight bench and the treadmill, but thank God I'm able to write with no impairment. Thank God for blood thinner, blood pressure and cholesterol meds, all of which I'll be on for the rest of my life. Fifty years ago my prognosis would be very different.

I was so reluctant initially to talk about it all here as I find it humiliating to have partially lost strength and energy, but I now feel better for having shared it. I'll get there, but it's definitely a journey.

Oops, I'm off topic, since this is the COVID-19 thread. Please forgive the recovering heart attack patient for the momentary lapse.

EDIT: I cut-and-pasted this exchange into the My Health Issues thread as that's the right place for it, so if the mods want to delete it here that's fine. My medical team says I absolutely have to reduce stress in my life, so the last thing I need right now is a reprimand from our moderators for going off topic! (Clutches his chest at the thought...)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisLasek View Post
    Jack I hope everything gets better soon and sorry about thje mini heart attack and mini stroke.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; March 12, 2021 at 02:26pm.

I just found out today that I can't get the vaccine because I have severe allergies.
    Formerly known as Granamyr on the Forum.

Author of Helen's Daughter, Knossos, Danae, and The Orestes Trilogy.

Heroic Warrior
    Just got my appointment for my vaccine next week. Canít say Iím lookin forward to. My dad, partner and sister all felt pretty rotten for 4-6 days after. But I guess as we are still in lockdown it means I can rest up in bed if itís too bad. But hereís hoping it goes smoothly and I feel no Ill effects

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    Just got my appointment for my vaccine next week. Can’t say I’m lookin forward to. My dad, partner and sister all felt pretty rotten for 4-6 days after. But I guess as we are still in lockdown it means I can rest up in bed if it’s too bad. But here’s hoping it goes smoothly and I feel no Ill effects
    So ironically I finally got my appointment to receive my first dose today, while my wife is getting her second dose today. I'll let you know how we do.

I'm not expecting anything much for myself but we've been hearing of other being a little ill (up to 4 days) after getting their second dose.

Update: So I got mine and have a small amount of soreness at the injection site but no other issues. My wife however with her second shot was having heavy body aches within 8 hours of receiving her shot. She did not sleep at all last night. I'm hoping the effects will settle today.
    Last edited by Dice; March 17, 2021 at 10:18am.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Gill View Post
    I just found out today that I can't get the vaccine because I have severe allergies.
    Sorry to hear that. Hope people around you are getting it to protect you then!
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

Heroic Warrior
    Got my oxfordAZ vaccine yesterday. Other than a sore arm for a few hours I have had no ill effects whatsoever. My family hates me as they were all quite poorly after.

Anyone in Indiana above 16 can now get vaccinated.

- - - Updated - - -

Got my oxfordAZ vaccine yesterday. Other than a sore arm for a few hours I have had no ill effects whatsoever. My family hates me as they were all quite poorly after.
    I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, but I think your family should be happy for you.

I got my second dose Wednesday afternoon. I felt fine most of the day yesterday other than some soreness in my arm at the site, but later in the day I was super-achy and tired. I went to bed around 8:30 and woke up feeling like my usual plucky ducky self.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    Anyone in Indiana above 16 can now get vaccinated.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, but I think your family should be happy for you.
    Ha yes I was being slightly sarcastic but they are reminding me how ill they were. I am hoping Iím as lucky when I get my second jab

I'm glad to hear you were being sarcastic, Dan. Family is very important. About five year before my father passed away we had a stupid argument. I don't even remember what it was about. We ended up not talking for over a year. I would give two fingers on my right hand to have that year back.

It seems the observations about the second shot, including my own, are very similar. I got my second (Pfizer) vaccination in the afternoon. I was fine when Kim and I went out for the evening. But I awoke at around 3 A.M. with convulsive chills. The next day was relatively miserable -- temperature, joint aches and shivers. The morning after that I awoke feeling 100%.

On balance imo was a small price to pay in return for the benefits, especially for older people like myself. As many on the board know, I suffered a minor heart attack in January (As I continue to work to recover, I'm still trying to figure out what was "minor" about it. ) People who have had a heart attack and contract COVID-19 are six times more likely to be hospitalized and twelve times more likely to die if they are hospitalized.

As I said, I think a day or so of discomfort is a small price to pay for being immunized...for myself and most others.

Good luck.

Ha yes I was being slightly sarcastic but they are reminding me how ill they were. I am hoping I’m as lucky when I get my second jab
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 1, 2021 at 02:19pm.

Chris here...

My parents, both 69, have had their first jab and my Dad has had his second. My Dad had Pfizer both times and was absolutely fine both times - my Mum had the OxfordAZ and was poorly for two or three days with aching joints, weak feeling and headache. Talking to family friends, it would appear that the OxfordAZ gives more side effects than the Pfizer - however, I hasten to add that when my time comes I will get the vaccine.

Here in the UK things are starting to look a bit better but really worried about friends & family I have in other parts of Europe.

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

My parents, both 69, have had their first jab and my Dad has had his second. My Dad had Pfizer both times and was absolutely fine both times - my Mum had the OxfordAZ and was poorly for two or three days with aching joints, weak feeling and headache. Talking to family friends, it would appear that the OxfordAZ gives more side effects than the Pfizer - however, I hasten to add that when my time comes I will get the vaccine.

Here in the UK things are starting to look a bit better but really worried about friends & family I have in other parts of Europe.

Take care...
    Small sample size but almost everyone I know that has had the moderna vaccine has had at least one side effect other than a sore arm. Phizer on the other hand has been significantly better.
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

So yesterday we got word that one of our thirteen-year old's classmates tested positive for COVID-19. As a result, Max's entire seventh-grade class is home for a two weeks mandatory quarantine until they all test negative.

Frankly, while I pray for a speedy recovery for the child who has COVID-19 and the safety of Max' classmates, I have to confess that I'm delighted to have my son home with me, joining my Kim who has had her entire staff of seventeen working remotely for over a year now. The Chinese have a saying: "Sometimes, out of something bad, something good can come." Having my angels with me 24/7 is certainly something good that's come out of something bad.

Well, hopefully he tests negative as well.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

I get my second Pfizer shot at the end of the month. Both of my kids have been in in-person school full time for the entire semester and no reported outbreaks. I've been working from home remotely since March of last year, but will probably be going back to the office some time this summer. My wife lost her job last summer, but got a new one recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    Small sample size but almost everyone I know that has had the moderna vaccine has had at least one side effect other than a sore arm. Phizer on the other hand has been significantly better.
    I've know of over 30 people who have received both doses of the Moderna vaccine. Most had a reaction (sickness) to the second shot. Some only had a reaction to the first. A few had both. I've been the only exception that I know of, not having a reaction to either (other than the sore arm).

We're surely making good and steady progress with vaccinations. But before we break out the champagne, I'm afraid The Beast is a long ways from done with us...

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...tries-n1263621

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/19/polit...ies/index.html

Gd help those in India:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...is-toll-mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I've know of over 30 people who have received both doses of the Moderna vaccine. Most had a reaction (sickness) to the second shot. Some only had a reaction to the first. A few had both. I've been the only exception that I know of, not having a reaction to either (other than the sore arm).
    Same here. I was also one of the few who showed up to work the day after my second shot
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

*Sigh*

One of my students tested positive for COVID... so now my whole class has to quarantine for ten days.

Back to virtual learning.... ugh.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Looking forward to the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    Same here. I was also one of the few who showed up to work the day after my second shot
    I anticipated being somewhat sick and slept in the next morning. Got up, showered, ate some breakfast and was like, I feel fine. So I went on in to work and bowled in my league that night.

Our thirteen-year old has a 101.9 temperature and a bad sore throat this morning. (Happy Mother's Day, Kim) His class seventh grade class just resumed school after two weeks of virtual learning because two of his classmates came down with COVID-19. He's getting the Rapid COVID-19 test as I write this. Kim, me and our two oldest have had both vaccinations and are past the two week period. Standing by...

Kim and I were so happy last night because it was the first time we were in a restaurant that didn't have masking. It's just all up and down and all around. I'm so sick of it all...

On the other hand, I'm a little ashamed for complaining when I see what's going on in India, where I was president of a motion picture and television studio. Overall I found everyone there -- and not just at the studio -- to be such kind and gentle people. I know it sounds like I'm stereotyping but I honestly never ran into one single person there who was nasty or even disagreeable. It's truly tragic what's going on there.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; Yesterday at 12:41pm.

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    Our thirteen-year old has a 101.9 temperature and a bad sore throat this morning. (Happy Mother's Day, Kim) His class seventh grade class just resumed school after two weeks of virtual learning because two of his classmates came down with COVID-19. He's getting the Rapid COVID-19 test as I write this. Kim, me and our two oldest have had both vaccinations and are past the two week period. Standing by...

Kim and I were so happy last night because it was the first time we were in a restaurant that didn't have masking. It's just all up and down and all around. I'm so sick of it all...

On the other hand, I'm a little ashamed for complaining when I see what's going on in India, where I was president of a motion picture and television studio. Overall I found everyone there -- and not just at the studio -- to be such kind and gentle people. I know it sounds like I'm stereotyping but I honestly never ran into one single person there who was nasty or even disagreeable. It's truly tragic what's going on there.
    Wishing a quick recovery for your 13 year old...I can empathize, my wife and I and our oldest are past the 2 week period as well with both Pfizer shots, but our youngest isn't old enough (hopefully that FDA approval comes through soon).

I can also relate to your comments on India, I used to have a work team over there and would travel over periodically. 100% agree with your comments, wonderful experiences interacting with folks over there. And I was worried about them right at the start of the outbreak...the population density and living standards make social distancing impossible for so many.