Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1230

Thread: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Every time I've been stuck in hospital over the last two years, I'm terrified of catching something like coronavirus.

Master of New Adventures!
    I understand your concern, Mikey. I hope, being a medical professional, that Thrawn29, our resident medical professional , will weigh in on this.

I will tell you that from my personal perspective three weeks ago I was in the hospital for two days ago with a serious medical issue. I started out in the ER and was moved to a hospital room later that afternoon. There were plenty of COVID-19 patients on the ER floor and certainly on the floor where my regular hospital room was located.

I spoke with a number of hospital staff and physicians during my stay and they told me of the elaborate and comprehensive safety and isolation measure taken. I came away with the impression that there's more risk of contracting COVID-19 at a bar or restaurant than there is for incoming patients at a hospital. I could be wrong about this and, again, hopefully Thrawn29 will weigh in.

These articles may be helpful and comforting:

https://www.healthpartners.com/blog/...ring-covid-19/

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/11/...w-study-shows/

I hope this gives you a degree of comfort. Wishing you a good and speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Every time I've been stuck in hospital over the last two years, I'm terrified of catching something like coronavirus.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 24, 2021 at 03:50pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I understand your concern, Mikey. I hope, being a medical professional, that Thrawn29, our resident medical professional , will weigh in on this.

I will tell you that from my personal perspective three weeks ago I was in the hospital for two days ago with a serious medical issue. I started out in the ER and was moved to a hospital room later that afternoon. There were plenty of COVID-19 patients on the ER floor and certainly on the floor where my regular hospital room was located.

I spoke with a number of hospital staff and physicians during my stay and they told me of the elaborate and comprehensive safety and isolation measure taken. I came away with the impression that there's more risk of contracting COVID-19 at a bar or restaurant than there is for incoming patients at a hospital. I could be wrong about this and, again, hopefully Thrawn29 will weigh in.
    You have roughly less risk since you will receive COVID testing so you usually know which patients have or don't have COVID. The surgical centers and operating rooms receive special attention in terms of testing patients to assure they are negative before going to surgery.

Every patient who goes for any kind of procedure (Cath Lab, EGD, Surgery) in my hospital gets a rapid COVID test done the night before their procedure.

So that's relatively safe. If you need help, go to the hospital regardless of COVID is the bottom line.

However, the longer you are in a hospital the higher your risks of contracting a super infection - MRSA, VRE, COVID, etc. There's decades of literature on this particular topic.

The goal for any one is to ultimately spend as little time as possible in a hospital.

-----------------

I could be wrong about this and, again, hopefully Thrawn29 will weigh in.
    I'd say your right, Jack.

Agreed, and I certainly went through rapid testing prior to my procedure.

My understanding is that one of the biggest threats of infection while in a hospital comes from C. diff, which my mother-in-law contracted eight years ago, and succumbed to, while she was in the hospital.

I think a lot of people have a concern that, as in the scene from hospital scene in OUTBREAK when Dustin Hoffman looks at a ceiling air vent and declares, "It's airborne!" the virus can move along the corridors and venting systems in the hospital. I believe that that's not a concern...yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    You have roughly less risk since you will receive COVID testing so you usually know which patients have or don't have COVID. The surgical centers and operating rooms receive special attention in terms of testing patients to assure they are negative before going to surgery.

Every patient who goes for any kind of procedure (Cath Lab, EGD, Surgery) in my hospital gets a rapid COVID test done the night before their procedure.

So that's relatively safe. If you need help, go to the hospital regardless of COVID is the bottom line.

However, the longer you are in a hospital the higher your risks of contracting a super infection - MRSA, VRE, COVID, etc. There's decades of literature on this particular topic.

The goal for any one is to ultimately spend as little time as possible in a hospital.

-----------------

I'd say your right, Jack.

My understanding is that one of the biggest threats of infection while in a hospital comes from C. diff, which my mother-in-law contracted eight years ago, and succumbed to, while she was in the hospital.
    Correct.

Primarily you'll get CDIFF in the hospital from extensive IV antibiotics. Antibiotics kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut unfortunately, placing you at risk for CDIFF. Certain IV antibiotics place you at a higher risk - clindamycin in particular.

Cross contamination between patients (patient to patient or nurse to patient) also spreads CDIFF, but primarily it should be medication related.

I think a lot of people have a concern that, as in the scene from hospital scene in OUTBREAK when Dustin Hoffman looks at a ceiling air vent and declares, "It's airborne!" the virus can move along the corridors and venting systems in the hospital. I believe that that's not a concern...yet.
    In order for a med surg floor or critical care unit to accept COVID patients they have to be set up for negative air flow.

My home unit doesn't accept COVID patients because we're not set up for negative air flow. We only have one room set up for negative air flow.

It's not quite as dramatic as in the movies. Outbreak was a fun one though.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; January 24, 2021 at 09:40pm.

This is very true. I've contracted MRSA and a different, very serious staph infection from prolonged hospital stays. My physician does everything he can to insure that I stay out of the hospital whenever possible.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

I know we don't have to worry (yet) about COVID-19 been airborne in the way it was in OUTBREAK, but can air flow between vents and rooms in ER actually be sealed off/controlled? Seems to me that the heating or cooling systems in hospitals would allow for some flow between rooms?

As an aside, OUTBREAK is one of my favorite films. My dear friend, Dale Dye, was the Military Technical Advisor for the film. Dale has an amazing company named Warriors Inc. that has served as Military Technical Advisors on countless war films, including Platoon, Casualties of War, Born on the Fourth of July, Saving Private Ryan and Starship Troopers to name just a few. As he demands absolute authenticity on all the films he works on, Dale asked me, as a former USAF search-and-rescue--and-Rescue Combat Medic to serve as the Medical Technical Advisor for the film's hospital scenes but regrettably I ws occupied with another project.

Here's Dale's website:

https://warriorsinc.website

I thought, as medical professional, you might also enjoy some background on my former Air Force career field:

https://www.airforce.com/careers/det...edical-service

Correct.

Primarily you'll get CDIFF in the hospital from extensive IV antibiotics. Antibiotics kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut unfortunately, placing you at risk for CDIFF. Certain IV antibiotics place you at a higher risk - clindamycin in particular.

Cross contamination between patients (patient to patient or nurse to patient) also spreads CDIFF, but primarily it should be medication related.

In order for a med surg floor or critical care unit to accept COVID patients they have to be set up for negative air flow.

My home unit doesn't accept COVID patients because we're not set up for negative air flow. We only have one room set up for negative air flow.

It's not quite as dramatic as in the movies. Outbreak was a fun one though.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 24, 2021 at 11:59pm.

I know we don't have to worry (yet) about COVID-19 been airborne in the way it was in OUTBREAK, but can air flow between vents and rooms in ER actually be sealed off/controlled? Seems to me that the heating or cooling systems in hospitals would allow for some flow between rooms?
    Yeah. Each ER is different, but in general they're set up for negative air flow precisely because of air-born illnesses - TB and bacterial meningitis to name the two most common.
    It may not look like it, but they're usually set up for it.

Take my unit, it's a critical care unit but the rooms - all save one - are not set up for negative air flow, whereas the two med surg floors we use for non-critical COVID patients are just regular rooms, but the ventilation system is all set up for negative airflow patients.

At least that's what Plant Ops has told me.

As an aside, OUTBREAK is one of my favorite films. My dear friend, Dale Dye, was the Military Technical Advisor for the film. Dale has an amazing company named Warriors Inc. that has served as Military Technical Advisors on countless war films, including Platoon, Casualties of War, Born on the Fourth of July, Saving Private Ryan and Starship Troopers to name just a few. As he demands absolute authenticity on all the films he works on, Dale asked me, as a former USAF search-and-rescue--and-Rescue Combat Medic to serve as the Medical Technical Advisor for the film's hospital scenes but regrettably I ws occupied with another project.

Here's Dale's website:

https://warriorsinc.website

I thought, as medical professional, you might also enjoy some background on my former Air Force career field:

https://www.airforce.com/careers/det...edical-service
    Nice. I'll read it later today while I'm waiting on new tires for my truck. I appreciate it.

I guess I am still ****** about everything in lockdown in my country at the moment. My mom passed away, her documentation of Pension, her leftover provident fund, final will and testament will definitely slow down the progress of our procedure. But a lot of people went to the wake and there's zero cases from it as we got sanitizer, checking temperature and mask policy. She just want everyone safe, calm and simplify everything that she left for her children.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...iants-n2583654

Reportedly the Moderna vaccine protects against the South Africa and UK variants of COVID.
    If true, this is very good news.

So here in Montgomery they finally held a press conference today concerning the deaths of teachers within the school system. We were hearing about the deaths, but no causes were being given. Turns out we've had 10 teachers pass away due to the Corona virus since November with 4 of those in the last week.

The decision was made to put the entire Montgomery Public school system on virtual for the rest of the year. Now we're waiting to see if the other systems and surrounding counties will follow.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

These articles may be helpful and comforting:

https://www.healthpartners.com/blog/...ring-covid-19/

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/11/...w-study-shows/

I hope this gives you a degree of comfort. Wishing you a good and speedy recovery.
    Thanks for reassuring me, but I still worry, I can't afford to catch any infection with my recent medical history. The staff have been lovely and try their best, but I still have an aversion to hospitals and any potential further surgeries.

Stay safe and stay healthy. Take the precautions we all know about. You have a large support system here of orgers who care about you and are praying for you.

Thanks for reassuring me, but I still worry, I can't afford to catch any infection with my recent medical history. The staff have been lovely and try their best, but I still have an aversion to hospitals and any potential further surgeries.

Stay safe and stay healthy. Take the precautions we all know about. You have a large support system here of orgers who care about you and are praying for you.
    Thanks Jack, I just hope you don't dislike me as so many others here seem to. I've always tried to be good and fair to everyone, although others seem to not be able to reciprocate that.

This is a new year. Imo you need to put all of that behind you and move on to a brighter time.

Thanks Jack, I just hope you don't dislike me as so many others here seem to. I've always tried to be good and fair to everyone, although others seem to not be able to reciprocate that.

Just when you thought things were getting better, scary stuff from our good friends at NPR and Columbia University...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...than-you-think

Just when you thought things were getting better, scary stuff from our good friends at NPR and Columbia University...
    Haha NPR is no friend of mine.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar

npr. org/sections/health-shots/2021/02/06/964527835/why-the-pandemic-is-10-times-worse-than-you-think
    "The model has not been published or peer-reviewed "
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Happy to say I got my first COVID-19 vaccination this afternoon. No side effects; not even soreness in my arm at the injection site. I received the Pfizer vaccination. Second one in three weeks. From what I read, two or three weeks after that I'll have 96.1% immunity. I was surprised to find only four or five people at the hospital. Everything was very calm, organized and professional. A pretty nice pre-birthday present, my birthday being just an hour and a half away...
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 14, 2021 at 12:42am.

Happy to say I got my first COVID-19 vaccination this afternoon. No side effects; not even soreness in my arm at the injection site. I received the Pfizer vaccination. Second one in three weeks. From what I read, two or three weeks after that I'll have 96.1% immunity. I was surprised to find only four or five people at the hospital. Everything was very calm, organized and professional. A pretty nice pre-birthday present, my birthday being just an hour and a half away...

Happy Birthday
    , Jack!!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...than-you-think
    That seemed like a lot of fear mongering to me.

We've just survived a second surge, hospitalizations are dropping and people are being vaccinated.

I'm not seeing any reason for the Doom and Gloom that article seemed to be spreading.

Happy to say I got my first COVID-19 vaccination this afternoon. No side effects; not even soreness in my arm at the injection site. I received the Pfizer vaccination. Second one in three weeks. From what I read, two or three weeks after that I'll have 96.1% immunity.
    Nice.

I will say the soreness in the arm seems to occur 16-24 hours later.

The second shot is the one most people (doctors, nurses, patients, and respiratory therapists I personally know) have issues with.

Fevers up to 104, severe flu like aches. I'd keep Tylenol or Ibuprofen handy.

I received my second shot of the Moderna Wednesday. I took 500mg of Tylenol every 8 hours with some Ibuprofen in between for about 24 hours.

I felt real achey in my lower back for 24 hours.

Other than that, I had no issues.

Just clear your schedule for one or two days after the second shot.

---------------

My mother is scheduled to received the 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Monday as well. Hopefully all goes well with her too.

------------

Happy Belated Birthday, Jack.

Thanks for that advice. I always have time release Tylenol on hand. Yep, woke up with soreness at the injection site this morning. Definitely manageable and don't need Tylenol. I'll be glad to get the second shot out of the way.

That seemed like a lot of fear mongering to me.

We've just survived a second surge, hospitalizations are dropping and people are being vaccinated.

I'm not seeing any reason for the Doom and Gloom that article seemed to be spreading.

Nice.

I will say the soreness in the arm seems to occur 16-24 hours later.

The second shot is the one most people (doctors, nurses, patients, and respiratory therapists I personally know) have issues with.

Fevers up to 104, severe flu like aches. I'd keep Tylenol or Ibuprofen handy.

I received my second shot of the Moderna Wednesday. I took 500mg of Tylenol every 8 hours with some Ibuprofen in between for about 24 hours.

I felt real achey in my lower back for 24 hours.

Other than that, I had no issues.

Just clear your schedule for one or two days after the second shot.

---------------

My mother is scheduled to received the 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Monday as well. Hopefully all goes well with her too.

------------

Happy Belated Birthday, Jack.
    - - - Updated - - -

Thank you, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

Happy Birthday
    , Jack!!!

I hope everyone is OK and doing well, I've had a raging earache and headache for days, but that's not COVID-related. I'll probably get my vaccine when I feel a bit better.

The UK updated the list of people who should be shielding earlier in the week, I got put on the list and had my vaccine yesterday afternoon, I donít know if itís coincidental or not but iíve felt absolutely battered since then, my dad said he felt the same after he had his though.

All's well after my first shot. No side effects and just one day of mild pain at the injection site.

Also recovering well from my major medical event just before Christmas. Kim got me a treadmill for Valentine's Day and with our frigid weather here on the shores of Lake Michigan it's been a welcome change from thirty-minute daily walks outside.

March 6th is my second Pfizer injection. I understand that the second injection can have a more aftereffects than the first, but I tolerate this sort of thing well. Our daughter comes home from Ball State University for five days on the 19th and by then I should be able to finally start going out on the weekends, so we're planning on evenings out with her to celebrate her straight A's first semester and directing her first stage play. I'm also looking forward to being able to go with Kim to (non-smoking) pubs, actually sit at a real bar and have someone serve me a couple of Guninnesses!