Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I heard a guy at work stating that his church was going to keep its doors open, even if they had to fight the government.

"That's unbiblical," I said.

"Excuse me?"

"That's unbiblical. You got your bible on you?"

"No."

"When you get home, read chapters 13 and 14 of Leviticus. The infected have to remain outside of the congregation until they've been clean for seven days."

"Yeah," he said, "but that's for leprosy."

"They're both infectious diseases transmitted by human contact. COVID-19 actually will kill you, unlike leprosy. God's decree was in place to keep the disease from spreading. If God wanted everyone to meet in church and infect one another, he would have said 'at the first sign of infection, gather everyone together in close confines so that everyone is sure to catch the disease.' So your defiance of these containment procedures is unbiblical as well as dangerous."

He didn't have much to say after that.
    I never thought of it that way, but good call. I would have just gone with Romans 13 to make the point that Christians are not exempt from following directions from authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    How do you feel towards the female co-worker who knowingly came in despite her being sick?
    I'm upset at her to say the least. My employer notified people to stay home if they felt any kind of sick weeks before the government started the mandates. They even said they would waive any kind of punishment for calling in sick. The dispatcher just ignored the warnings and still decided to come into work.

I'm lucky though cause I don't really interact with her or the receiving office that much. I was in the office like once over the last 7 days and that was only to send a fax. Some people at my plant go in there several times in a day just to access their email or get new orders.

At least this has given me time to catch up with several shows I have been putting off like GOT. I never got past season 2.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I'm upset at her to say the least. My employer notified people to stay home if they felt any kind of sick weeks before the government started the mandates. They even said they would waive any kind of punishment for calling in sick. The dispatcher just ignored the warnings and still decided to come into work.

I'm lucky though cause I don't really interact with her or the receiving office that much. I was in the office like once over the last 7 days and that was only to send a fax. Some people at my plant go in there several times in a day just to access their email or get new orders.

At least this has given me time to catch up with several shows I have been putting off like GOT. I never got past season 2.
    That's certainly understandable. I haven't braved GOT yet - everyone seems so angry at the last season or so.

Goddess and ancestors...I am going on three weeks come Tuesday.
    I can't wait to eat out again. I miss it so much! I hate cooking every day. It sucks.

We had some people tailgating here. Why? I have no clue. People are dumb. I'm not sure why people feel they are so entitled to do whatever they want. Yeah, cause the rest of us don't want to go out and do things too.

The only thing I can think of...is that people want to catch it to get it overwithin. Ya know how they used to have chickenpox parties? Maybe thats what people are doing...get it overwith now cause well in another 20 days who the hell knows if you are gonna make it out alive in NY.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Guys, let's remember to keep things civil, assume the best of our fellow members, and also work at not getting offended by what might be a miscommunication.

That said, we also need to remember to keep ALL religious and political discussion in the Tar Swamp, where it belongs. I know it may be difficult considering the topic, but the rules are in place for a reason.

On a personal note, send your positive vibes: my mother-in-law has taken over the Toy Room as a remote work space while she cannot go to her office. She's staying at my sister-in-law's house on the weekends, but will be invading our place M-F. (We have her on strict house-to-house guidelines to limit any other contact.)
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Read the books.

They are 100X better.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    On a personal note, send your positive vibes: my mother-in-law has taken over the Toy Room as a remote work space while she cannot go to her office. She's staying at my sister-in-law's house on the weekends, but will be invading our place M-F. (We have her on strict house-to-house guidelines to limit any other contact.)
    Positive vibes are on their way!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    my mother-in-law has taken over the Toy Room as a remote work space while she cannot go to her office.
    Being able to work from a toy room is like my ultimate dream job.

Master of New Adventures!
    To say the number of Coronavirus cases rose by X-amount in the U.S. in the last two days makes for a good lead story for the news media, but it's not accurate. The rising death rate is accurate, but not the number of cases. While the number of cases is unquestionably rising, it's not at the rate being quoted. Any reasonable and rational person will grant that the rate of rise of actual cases is partly because we now have much better and faster testing and exponentially more testing is being done -- hence the seemingly explosive rise in cases. That's why the rate of infection seemed small in the beginning -- because we weren't doing a lot of testing.

As even more testing will be done in the coming weeks, the rate of infection will appear to soar. It's not the rate of infection. It's the rate of detection. The rate of infection is increasing, just not at the rate many would have us believe.

If you want to really see how the disease is progressing, the most accurate measure will be the rate of declining detection -- i.e., declining confirmed cases -- as more tests are given and the curve flattens.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    To say the number of Coronavirus cases rose by X-amount in the U.S. in the last two days makes for a good lead story for the news media, but it's not accurate. The rising death rate is accurate, but not the number of cases. While the number of cases is unquestionably rising, it's not at the rate being quoted. Any reasonable and rational person will grant that the rate of rise of actual cases is partly because we now have much better and faster testing and exponentially more testing is being done -- hence the seemingly explosive rise in cases. That's why the rate of infection seemed small in the beginning -- because we weren't doing a lot of testing.

As even more testing will be done in the coming weeks, the rate of infection will appear to soar. It's not the rate of infection. It's the rate of detection. The rate of infection is increasing, just not at the rate many would have us believe.

If you want to really see how the disease is progressing, the most accurate measure will be the rate of declining detection -- i.e., declining confirmed cases -- as more tests are given and the curve flattens.
    If you think the exponential growth of new cases is due to testing, then how do you explain the correlation with the exponential growth in mortality? From the first confirmed case in the U.S., it took about 30 days to reach 1,000 deaths, but only about 3 days for the number of deaths to double.

Master of New Adventures!
    It's not entirely because of testing, but logic would dictate that a much higher rate of testing will yield results of a much higher rate of infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    If you think the exponential growth of new cases is due to testing, then how do you explain the correlation with the exponential growth in mortality? From the first confirmed case in the U.S., it took about 30 days to reach 1,000 deaths, but only about 3 days for the number of deaths to double.

An interesting article on coronavirus death rates:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...n-be-deceiving

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    An interesting article on coronavirus death rates:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...n-be-deceiving
    Yeah. The BBC have some good articles about the death rates and how it is far too early to know for sure just how deadly Covid-19 actually is. All new viruses that have the potential to kill appear to have high death rates at first. However, it does appear to have a higher death rate than flu: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51674743

The general rule is that viruses tend to mutate to become less deadly over time. Let's hope that's the case here!
    Last edited by Krueger; March 30, 2020 at 11:51am.

I have several family members and friends in the medical field. My Mom said a patient of hers died of complications from a different strain of corona virus and they changed his cause of death on her paper work to COVID-19. A friend of mine who works in a medical examiner's office said that deaths from suicide and murder are being included in COVID-19 deaths. Same goes with anyone terminally ill who may have also been exposed. Call me what you want, but I do not trust ANY of these numbers (knowing that). When a local woman died her family tried to get the news media to change the story because they claim she died from something other than COVID-19 and her death was all over the news as being another COVID-19 death. They removed all of the family's social media posts from local news pages. Shady! That does not mean I do not think people are dying from it, but I do think they are inflating the numbers by including ANY deaths in the total.
    Last edited by IceyCat; April 2, 2020 at 10:12am. Reason: Edited to add the number to COVID :)
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Heroic Warrior
    One of the many things that is making me very angry re: this virus are these rich, entitled NY-based people that are fleeing to their second homes in other areas & very possibly bringing the virus with them. They should stay at home & shelter in place like the rest of us have to do. Selfish pricks.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we...als-2020-03-25

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...sym-story.html

I don't live on the East Coast, but this type of thing affects everyone - since this is a world-wide pandemic. In any case, I'm glad that they're cracking down on this. Apparently in some areas those who come from out of town are being forced into a 14-day quarantine. Good!!

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I have several family members and friends in the medical field. My Mom said a patient of hers died of complications from a different strain of corona virus and they changed his cause of death on her paper work to COVID. A friend of mine who works in a medical examiner's office said that deaths from suicide and murder are being included in COVID deaths. Same goes with anyone terminally ill who may have also been exposed. Call me what you want, but I do not trust ANY of these numbers (knowing that). When a local woman died her family tried to get the news media to change the story because they claim she died from something other than COVID and her death was all over the news as being another COVID death. They removed all of the family's social media posts from local news pages. Shady! That does not mean I do not think people are dying from it, but I do think they are inflating the numbers by including ANY deaths in the total.
    Good points. However, I still think the death toll is very high from COVID-19, and will just get much, much worse - unfortunately.

Passed the 780,000 worldwide infected cases, with more than 37,000 dead. Spain got hit hard again, 849 dead in a single day.
    Demand quality.

We had a staff meeting via Zoom yesterday afternoon, and while no one is officially saying it, the subtleties imply we won't be returning to our campuses before May at the earliest, and I have a feeling it might be next August before we start school on-site once again. I do not disagree with this, but I miss my kiddos.

I love how this situation is bringing out the best in some people, but I can't stand how it is also allowing others to show their true ugliness.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post
    One of the many things that is making me very angry re: this virus are these rich, entitled NY-based people that are fleeing to their second homes in other areas & very possibly bringing the virus with them. They should stay at home & shelter in place like the rest of us have to do. Selfish pricks.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we...als-2020-03-25

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...sym-story.html

I don't live on the East Coast, but this type of thing affects everyone - since this is a world-wide pandemic. In any case, I'm glad that they're cracking down on this. Apparently in some areas those who come from out of town are being forced into a 14-day quarantine. Good!!

Good points. However, I still think the death toll is very high from COVID-19, and will just get much, much worse - unfortunately.

We had a car accident last week and the people were from NYC. They didn't want to stay down there so decided to come upstate. Someone they knew had Covid but they decided eh why stay put. Lets spread the love.

Also, while I understand that FL wants to close down its state boarder, lets be realistic here. Ya let everyone come down and party and now you are throwing a temper tantrum because people may be bringing it down to you. Guess what, its already down there.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    . My Mom said a patient of hers died of complications from a different strain of corona virus and they changed his cause of death on her paper work to COVID.
    I'm not discounting the story, but COVID is an abbreviation for COronaVIrus DIsease. The current strain is abbreviated COVID 19 to distinguish it from SARS-COVID and theoretically COVID-12 (AKA MERS-COVID). These are also distinct from the 4 major strains of the common cold, which are also coronaviruses.

Assuming the person didnt die of SARS (which I guess would be COVID with no distinction), it could be sloppy paperwork too, which is bad in it's own right. or a push to use COVID nomenclature (but that's worthless without a way to distinguish between COVIDs).

Supposedly 10 cruise ships are stranded offshore right now.

Cannot even imagine how those passengers and crew are feeling. Have no idea if they're getting restocked with food (anecdotes from the Grand Princess story two weeks ago suggested they did not).

I just got back from a cruise myself on March 1. That was a little too close. Hope they can get back on shore soon, and we can figure out how to transition them into quarantine.........not leave them stuck on a ship, likely ordered to stay in their rooms, many with no ability to open a door or window.

Heroic Warrior
    Anyone who didn't/doesn't halt their vacation plans - knowing that this virus is going on - gets 0 sympathy from me. Even if you made them way ahead of time, if you were travelling from mid-February - anytime in March, you should have cancelled your plans, given what's happening. These people need to pay attention to the news & get their heads out of their collective rear-ends. People are getting permanently sick & dying of this. This probably started to hit the U.S. in January, but didn't start to get that bad until February.

The most egregious example is these selfish people, who just recently went on Spring Break to Mexico (about 1 1/2 weeks ago), and when they came back to TX many tested positive for the virus.

https://news.yahoo.com/almost-30-spr...205058278.html

On a lighter note, once COVID-19 started to blow up in the U.S., this iconic R.E.M. song (1987) is one of the first things that came to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OyBtMPqpNY
    Last edited by man-e-faces; April 1, 2020 at 12:19am.

With you on the vacationers. Still seeing several RVs and campers rolling their way through where I work, or camping out in our parking lot for the night. I shudder to think how many lingering cases this is going to lead to.

Also starting to get people trying to use this whole "6 feet away social distance" rule as a means to break rules by feigning ignorance. On the plus side, a lot of customers have expressed gratitude for the steps being taken to sterilize and maintain a lot of the surfaces they don't often think about touching.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Today on my way home, I pass a small grocery store called Trader Joe's. They had people lined up outside because they were only allowing a small number of people to shop at the same time.

In my area, there may be people out and about, but the business, like the grocery stores are trying to enforce social distancing as much as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    Completely understand about the grocery stores & other essential businesses being open. People still need to eat/shop for essentials. I've also always had a hell of a lot of respect for anyone who works in the retail/restaurant/customer service industry (since I myself had a job like that when I was younger), but with this pandemic raging I appreciate these employees more than I normally did in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    Today on my way home, I pass a small grocery store called Trader Joe's. They had people lined up outside because they were only allowing a small number of people to shop at the same time.

In my area, there may be people out and about, but the business, like the grocery stores are trying to enforce social distancing as much as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    They're doing that because some of the workers are afraid to come to work and be exposed to this virus. So the stores are doing things such as putting up physical barriers like plexiglass shields and taping floors at six foot intervals at registers to keep their employees healthy and present. That's been the case at the restaurant I work at and at the local stores in my area, because even though the vast majority of our customers have been great through all this, a small percentage of them are the other term for the endpoint of the digestive tract and have been acting as such.

They're saying there's a chance of possible immunity after catching and having the virus go through your system. That would be very encouraging news, especially for the future.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...mmune-n1171976
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg