Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Happy anniversary, Jack!
    Yes, Happy Anniversary Jack. Next year is silver.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    Yes, Happy Anniversary Jack. Next year is silver.
    Absolutely! Hard to believe. We're both very fortunate.

Thank you.

Happy Anniversary Uncle Jack.

Is it me or this whole Covid situation we're having right now is just a tip of the iceberg or end of a beginning?

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post

Is it me or this whole Covid situation we're having right now is just a tip of the iceberg or end of a beginning?
    ooooh.. its just getting going..
    FREAK OUT!!!!!! FREAK OUT!!!! YEAHHHH!

Better lock yourself in a bunker then. We'll tell you when it’s safe to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post

Depends. Are you talking about the effects of the virus itself on the physical health of people, or the government's reaction to the virus?

Two different icebergs. One much bigger and more terrifying than the other.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Depends. Are you talking about the effects of the virus itself on the physical health of people, or the government's reaction to the virus?

Two different icebergs. One much bigger and more terrifying than the other.
    The government responses here are adequate, but the health minister say there's a big probability that the lockdown going to restart again.

Yeah, two actually, the effect on the virus and what if the lockdown and restricted movement failed against the virus.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

The virus definitely isn't going anywhere and the "normalcy" everyone is clamoring for has set with the sun. It's all adapting and going forward from here.

The latest numbers from the CDC show that the virus has a .26% mortality rate. Meaning, if you catch it, you have a 99.74% chance of recovery.

There are studies now showing that the longer shutdowns continue in response to COVID-19, the higher the death toll is going to be worldwide, not due to the virus, but due to famine, drug/alcohol abuse, and suicide. In other words, more people may die from the reaction to the virus than from the virus itself.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    The latest numbers from the CDC show that the virus has a .26% mortality rate. Meaning, if you catch it, you have a 99.74% chance of recovery.

There are studies now showing that the longer shutdowns continue in response to COVID-19, the higher the death toll is going to be worldwide, not due to the virus, but due to famine, drug/alcohol abuse, and suicide. In other words, more people may die from the reaction to the virus than from the virus itself.
    We had 30 people overdose here the other day. That's a shocking number. Our mayor said its mental health that is now his biggest concern.

My friend works at a hospital. It's not COVID patients that are walking through those doors its people with mental health issues. People are at their breaking point. Look at the food lines we see that are miles long. The majority of these people had jobs. Now they do not. People are angry, they are hungry, and they are jobless.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    We had 30 people overdose here the other day. That's a shocking number. Our mayor said its mental health that is now his biggest concern.

My friend works at a hospital. It's not COVID patients that are walking through those doors its people with mental health issues. People are at their breaking point. Look at the food lines we see that are miles long. The majority of these people had jobs. Now they do not. People are angry, they are hungry, and they are jobless.
    Imagine how all these people would have to cope with a real crisis like WWII!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post

If we had a functioning unemployment system that worked properly people wouldn't have to worry. Here in Florida people are STILL waiting to get their unemployment benefits…our governor has blamed the people for not filling out their information correctly and local media have easily proven that claim wrong. Walt Disney World's employees were automatically enrolled into the unemployment system and some of those 77,000 employees are STILL waiting for their unemployment. Clearly, the unemployment system in general is set up to work against the public…and specifically in Florida it's downright hostile toward the public.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    If we had a functioning unemployment system that worked properly people wouldn't have to worry. Here in Florida people are STILL waiting to get their unemployment benefits…our governor has blamed the people for not filling out their information correctly and local media have easily proven that claim wrong. Walt Disney World's employees were automatically enrolled into the unemployment system and some of those 77,000 employees are STILL waiting for their unemployment. Clearly, the unemployment system in general is set up to work against the public…and specifically in Florida it's downright hostile toward the public.
    This is absolutely terrible.

Any business, that was forced to lay their employees off, should have been able to automatically enroll every one of them in unemployment benefits due to the unprecedented situation. AND the people should have started seeing checks come in shortly thereafter.

This just goes to show how broken the system is and, more so, how much it needs to be fixed.

We are the richest nation on the planet for goodness sakes!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This is absolutely terrible.

Any business, that was forced to lay their employees off, should have been able to automatically enroll every one of them in unemployment benefits due to the unprecedented situation. AND the people should have started seeing checks come in shortly thereafter.

This just goes to show how broken the system is and, more so, how much it needs to be fixed.

We are the richest nation on the planet for goodness sakes!!
    Here in Florida, it's optional for businesses to automatically enroll their employees for unemployment benefits. The state of Florida seemingly held off for nearly a month before paying out any of the "enhanced benefits" of $600 a week. The state made somewhere around $24 million in interest by holding on to it's share of the unemployment money. Accidental? I don't think so. Florida's unemployment system is the worst in the country by design. Luckily for all the Disney employees…the company has continued to cover all their cast member's health benefits at no cost to the employees. Unfortunately not all companies are neither that generous nor can afford to.

I think a lot of this boils down to a society that's taught to have debt as if it's just part of being an adult. People live beyond their means and then when something unexpected like a pandemic happens…people's lives are destroyed financially because they're living paycheck to paycheck no matter what level of income they're at.

Here in Florida, it's optional for businesses to automatically enroll their employees for unemployment benefits. The state of Florida seemingly held off for nearly a month before paying out any of the "enhanced benefits" of $600 a week. The state made somewhere around $24 million in interest by holding on to it's share of the unemployment money. Accidental? I don't think so. Florida's unemployment system is the worst in the country by design. Luckily for all the Disney employees…the company has continued to cover all their cast member's health benefits at no cost to the employees. Unfortunately not all companies are neither that generous nor can afford to.

I think a lot of this boils down to a society that's taught to have debt as if it's just part of being an adult. People live beyond their means and then when something unexpected like a pandemic happens…people's lives are destroyed financially because they're living paycheck to paycheck no matter what level of income they're at.
    Spot on. Nice insight.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Well, my students are officially out for summer...

I am sad knowing that we did not get to spend the end of the school year together in-person, but I am so proud of how they all acclimated to the sudden change in learning and rose to the occasion. For my 6th years, we had a big distance-gathering at the school on the soccer field and at 3:00pm on Saturday, we celebrated the beginning of summer with drums, noise makers, bells, whistles, you name it... it was a well-earned exhale of noise, emotion, grief, excitement and relief.

I am going to miss them.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Don't think you are alone on that one. NY state thinks they are the beaken of greatness when in reality people were also struggling to get their unemployment. Those that were self-employed were the hardest hit. TThe system was busy, was alway down, wasn't working...people wouldn't get back to ya. Trust me, NY isn't all that and a bag of chips despite what our gov. says.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Illinois is leading the country in testing, and the only state that has met the federal requirements for reopening.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Illinois is leading the country in testing, and the only state that has met the federal requirements for reopening.
    I had read that Kentucky and North Dakota were the only states to meet the requirements. But that was mid-May. Haven't heard any updates since.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

Having spent the majority of this year in and out of hospital with infected feet (illness) and septic shock (I very nearly lost my life), being hooked up to machines and IV tubes for over a month, I am definitely not eager to go back.

It's been a miserable year so far for me, at least until the last few days, where I feel like I'm starting to live again, I am in no hurry to regress.

I will GLADLY take any vaccine offered, or do the social distancing routine, not just for my own health and safety, but for the health and safety of others. Helping my friends on Twitter campaign against racism, misogyny, homophobia, and certain hateful politicians, as well as advocating for coronavirus prevention has given me a greater sense of purpose. I feel like I'm part of a team, and I love that feeling. I don't want ANYONE to get sick, so living for others makes me happy and I'm happy to do it.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Today is the first time since it hit that we've had our cleaning crew come to do the house. I don't mind telling you we're pretty worried, especially with WHO ping ponging back and forth on whether or not asytmptomatics are a risk. Our cleaning crew probably does twenty or thirty homes besides our so they're all over town, and now all over our home. Our children are plenty nervous about this. Shuffling everyone in our family from room to room so the crew can work is a pain, and even with that I'm worried things will be on surfaces because the crew doesn't use gloves or masks.

I'm going to text them later to thank them for their services but tell them this is not working out. It's sad, because they've been with us for over five years and I know money is tight for them with so many people canceling. The new normal...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Today is the first time since it hit that we've had our cleaning crew come to do the house. I don't mind telling you we're pretty worried, especially with WHO ping ponging back and forth on whether or not asytmptomatics are a risk. Our cleaning crew probably does twenty or thirty homes besides our so they're all over town, and now all over our home. Our children are plenty nervous about this. Shuffling everyone in our family from room to room so the crew can work is a pain, and even with that I'm worried things will be on surfaces because the crew doesn't use gloves or masks.

I'm going to text them later to thank them for their services but tell them this is not working out. It's sad, because they've been with us for over five years and I know money is tight for them with so many people canceling. The new normal...
    It's your home. If they want your business they should adapt and wear masks and gloves. It's your property and your money.

It's your home. If they want your business they should adapt and wear masks and gloves. It's your property and your money.
    Well said. But I'm empathetic. After five years, they're like family. During the three months they weren't here, Kim and I covered part of what they would have made at our home as I can only begin to imagine the hit they took. These three ladies work very hard and professionally. They handle three different homes during each day -- almost twenty a week -- and the idea of doing that kind of work behind a mask for nine or ten hours a day is hard for me to get my hands around. So we decided that on the day they come each week -- they're here for three hours -- we'll take the children out for nine holes of golf so we're not in contact.

That said, after the way they turned our home into Valhalla after a three month hiatus, I can't imagine going back a time time without them, especially since Kim and I are both based out of our home for the foreseeable future, so I'm taking back what I said about not using them after today. Our housekeepers are one of the few splurges Kim and I indulge in. Kim works for very hard and long hours as a United Way President & CEO as I do in my role as President & CEO of a production company, so I feel we've earned it.

And yes, I added a significant one-time uptick to their pay today because I knew getting our home back into shape would be a lot of work after their long absence.

Guys, Malaysia are currently in the last phase of the lockdown, Recovery Movement Order just announced on 8th so hopefully road to recovery is doing great and such.

I know some folks were curious how Texas was going to fare being one of the first states to rush to reopen, well... here we go.

And this all seems to be stemming from Memorial Day Weekend party people. It'll be another week or so before we see what all of these mass protests have done in terms of infection. That ought to be fun.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...ond-day-in-row

Locally, I'm already seeing social distancing and mask wearing falling away in the grocery stores. The service industry is suffering from "Hey, we're open! Oh wait an employee tested positive, so we have to shut down for a few days again..." syndrome, and some bars in the area just do not give a F about capacity limits, CDC guidelines, etc.

I'd love for all of this to result in... nothing. But I worry that we're going to be in such worse shape come August, September... and that we will have just done it to ourselves at that point, because everybody knew the risks- they just stopped caring.