Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I work in retail. My store is like most.
    I've noticed most people are in a good mood in the store. Some customers even thank us for doing our jobs.

Heroic Warrior
    Im in Mass,

Closed schools, restaurants and bars.. I'm in construction, so its biz as usual for now.
    nope

One of my worries about coronavirus is the unknowns with regard to potential long-term effects of the virus in humans. Sure, it's encouraging to know that the majority of people will recover and only experience mild symptoms like a dry cough, runny nose, sore throat etc., but it doesn't necessarily mean that people who recover from those initial symptoms are in the clear. There are some viruses that can remain dormant in certain cells of the body and become active again in times when the immune system is weakened, either due to aging and/or future illnesses and/or diseases, thereby potentially causing a secondary wave of issues that can be nastier than what was experienced initially.

That's what's deceiving about this whole thing. There are a wide range of reactions to the virus. You can be generally unaffected, mild cold like symptoms, or it can be much worse when combined with existing conditions and require a hospital stay.

It's the people who are generally unaffected who carry the virus, interact with the public and spread it to those who are at risk. People feel that they can endure it even if exposed, so they continue their routine. Then then interact with multiple people through the day, and infect them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    There are some viruses that can remain dormant in certain cells of the body and become active again in times when the immune system is weakened, either due to aging and/or future illnesses and/or diseases, thereby potentially causing a secondary wave of issues that can be nastier than what was experienced initially.
    That's true, but that doesn't mean that's the case with COVID-19. There's no benefit to living in fear of the unknown. The stress you'll cause yourself will do more harm than good, and worsen your chance of contracting COVID-19 and increase the severity of its symptoms. The best we can do is take it a day at a time, and do what we can to take precautions. And if someone gets infected, please go see the doctor and try (which I know isn't easy) not to let worry increase its impact.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    It's the people who are generally unaffected who carry the virus, interact with the public and spread it to those who are at risk. People feel that they can endure it even if exposed, so they continue their routine. Then then interact with multiple people through the day, and infect them.
    It's very true. Quarantining and mitigating will help slow the spread. But when a virus has carriers like that, it may be next to impossible to stop the inevitable spread.
    Look at the centuries influenza has been around. Each year across the globe, millions contract it and a quarter to a half a million people die. It's become a common place risk, as are so many things in life. COVID-19 will probably stick around for years, or possibly forever, and will be lessened by people building natural immunity over the passing of time.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I'm mostly worried about the economic impact it's going to have on our country. The illness and the death's it will cause are awful but no one wants to re-live the 2008-2009 economic crisis.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    That's true, but that doesn't mean that's the case with COVID-19. There's no benefit to living in fear of the unknown. The stress you'll cause yourself will do more harm than good, and worsen your chance of contracting COVID-19 and increase the severity of its symptoms. The best we can do is take it a day at a time, and do what we can to take precautions. And if someone gets infected, please go see the doctor and try (which I know isn't easy) not to let worry increase its impact.

It's very true. Quarantining and mitigating will help slow the spread. But when a virus has carriers like that, it may be next to impossible to stop the inevitable spread.
    Look at the centuries influenza has been around. Each year across the globe, millions contract it and a quarter to a half a million people die. It's become a common place risk, as are so many things in life. COVID-19 will probably stick around for years, or possibly forever, and will be lessened by people building natural immunity over the passing of time.
    Oh, Covid-19 is here to stay. Thing is, in time, its impact will lesson and eventually it will just become yet another cold or flu-like illness floating around out there. Scientists are predicating that it will probably dip round about mid-to-late June. It will more than likely be back round about November. However, I highly doubt it will be anything like what it is now. I think a lot of people have definitely gotten carried away by this. Obviously a lot of that is to do with the fact that it’s a new virus, so there are a lot of unknowns. Yet an awful lot of people, even people who should really know better, are attributing some sort of supernatural or science-fiction-like quality to Covid-19. That is breeding panic and hysteria, and that's one of the reasons why you're seeing all this stupid behaviour. People need to get a grip, take a breather and get some perspective. Listen to the experts, visit the WHO website, and stop listening to nameless people on social media platforms or message boards who say we're all going to die. One of the most dangerous things you can do at a time like this.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I'm mostly worried about the economic impact it's going to have on our country. The illness and the death's it will cause are awful but no one wants to re-live the 2008-2009 economic crisis.
    Yes. This.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    It’s a Strange Time. We’re taking all precautions, following trusted, vetted news sources, taking care of one another, and maintaining positivity, but there is so much we don’t know about our work situations. I know our family will be alright, but as teachers, we spend so much time caring for, worrying about, and really loving other people’s kids; now, we are cut off from our work, and unsure of how to be THERE for our students when we’re asked to stay HERE.
    This.

I am feeling lost without my students. This situation is incredibly different from a planned, normal break during the school year.

It's quite uncomfortable...

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    I heard that my whole country going to shut down tonight, or tomorrow. I for one hate to live in a bunker-like situation.
    I too hate the feeling of being in quarantine...

Human beings are naturally very social creatures... isolation, even if you are with immediate family, can be devastating to one's psyche.

One of my worries about coronavirus is the unknowns with regard to potential long-term effects of the virus in humans. Sure, it's encouraging to know that the majority of people will recover and only experience mild symptoms like a dry cough, runny nose, sore throat etc., but it doesn't necessarily mean that people who recover from those initial symptoms are in the clear. There are some viruses that can remain dormant in certain cells of the body and become active again in times when the immune system is weakened, either due to aging and/or future illnesses and/or diseases, thereby potentially causing a secondary wave of issues that can be nastier than what was experienced initially.
    The early reports are stating that lungs are being affected the most after recovering from the virus. People are reporting burning, shortness of breath, and dryness in their breathing.

What this means for the long-term? Who knows... but, it is disconcerting.

Without a doubt, this is where the coronavirus will have the most impact.

NBA, NHL, holidays, air-travel, conventions, concerts, celebrations, cruises, and major theme parks all bring in billions of dollars and many jobs to the U.S. economy... now? It's all been cut off.

Most of it cannot recoup, and the rest will be a long time to recover.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Oh, Covid-19 is here to stay. Thing is, in time, its impact will lesson and eventually it will just become yet another cold or flu-like illness floating around out there. Scientists are predicating that it will probably dip round about mid-to-late June. It will more than likely be back round about November. However, I highly doubt it will be anything like what it is now. I think a lot of people have definitely gotten carried away by this. Obviously a lot of that is to do with the fact that it’s a new virus, so there are a lot of unknowns. Yet an awful lot of people, even people who should really know better, are attributing some sort of supernatural or science-fiction-like quality to Covid-19. That is breeding panic and hysteria, and that's one of the reasons why you're seeing all this stupid behaviour. People need to get a grip, take a breather and get some perspective. Listen to the experts, visit the WHO website, and stop listening to nameless people on social media platforms or message boards who say we're all going to die. One of the most dangerous things you can do at a time like this.

Ya think?

Tough to be a voice of reason. I empathize with you, my brother.

With everyone buying stuff parts of the economy shouldn't be bad. Small business might be destroyed though.

Stock market wise . . . why is it falling?
    Toilet Paper futures should be up

Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper View Post
    With everyone buying stuff parts of the economy shouldn't be bad. Small business might be destroyed though.

IMO a lot of it is US businesses dependency of Chinese manufacturing of goods that we use in, or need to produce, our products.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper View Post

My mom and I own a small business. We are fortunate in that we have resources to get us through in savings, et al. But there is no way a total shutdown is not going to have a major effect and cost us for the year. We will still be able to work when everything goes back to open, but it will definitely take a chunk out of savings that will not be able to be replaced quickly.

We work with a lot of small businesses and most cannot afford to pay people without work - especially for long periods of time. They don’t have the kind of resources large companies do. These are not work from home jobs.

We have to do our part, but it’s not just hourly employees and such that are going to be hurt by this.

It's going to be tough and I pray for small business owners and workers. That said, can anyone see a silver lining here after this all blows over?

I do hope Congress works quickly to provide funds for small business owners and hourly workers. This is not a bail-out; just a helping hand to get them through things.

IMO a lot of it is US businesses dependency of Chinese manufacturing of goods that we use in, or need to produce, our products.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

I too hate the feeling of being in quarantine...

Human beings are naturally very social creatures... isolation, even if you are with immediate family, can be devastating to one's psyche.
    Lockdown confirmed yesterday, looks like let's start a non productive day

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2...19-says-health

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

My parent's own a humble, small business. It is their livelihood. Its how they pay the bills and keep the lights on. They simply cannot afford to close it for too long, not to mention paying staff (which they won't be able to do with no money coming in). Going to be a real tough few months.

We are in the first stage, meeting the virus, so fear and psychosis are at the top, I hope as the weeks go by we can adapt ,taking all possible care.

The truth is there's a new virus, it also true there are 7 thousand victims over 7 billons of people around the world.

It seems that for some people who have had COVID-19 and recovered, they can get it again: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/n...15_13/amp.html

Personally, I'd like to get COVID-19 now just to get it over with. I realize it's not exactly like influenza, but it doesn't seem to be that far off based on everything I'm reading and watching. Some people didn't even realize they had it because their symptoms were so mild. In 4 (wishful) to 8 (likely) weeks, I am fairly confident things will all be back to the regular daily grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    That's what's deceiving about this whole thing. There are a wide range of reactions to the virus. You can be generally unaffected, mild cold like symptoms, or it can be much worse when combined with existing conditions and require a hospital stay.

That's a tricky influenza... there are various type of it.
    You can get the mild one or the real one.
    And the real one isn't somethin' like a normal influenza. Here in Italy we got a lot of people that got the real one and they needed to be hospitalized, and I ain't talkin' about elderly people only. You can't breath anymore without a breathing apparatus.
    And there's no way to undestand what you'll got.

And if someone gets infected, please go see the doctor and try (which I know isn't easy) not to let worry increase its impact.
    Please don't go to the doctor, call the doctor or you'll spread the disease to the doctor and his/her patients!

I repeat: stock food and water for 30 days (but don't hoarde and overstock!) and stay at home, if you can.
    Everytime you go out, you can help the spreading of the disease and the hospital beds and apparatuses aren't enough for everybody.
    Here in Italy cases have so overwhelmed the system that doctors had to make a very difficult choices about who gets potentially life-saving treatment and who doesn't.

This thing will not going away if you don't stay at home, there will be no magic or somethin' else. Stay at home!
    Our personal actions are really going to count here!

I especially agree about avoiding stress. Stress hormones can wreak havoc on one's immune system.
    It's a bad situation but, I agree, please keep your mind distracted, bad and sad feelings can wreck your body! Be positive!

#staysafe #stayathome
    Last edited by JoeyCruel; March 17, 2020 at 07:51am.
    I met 3 heroes: their names are Jedi_Kunle, Mikethedrummer and Miracle Max.
    And I also met an angel called David. Good journey, sit tibi terra levis.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Perspective is key here. According to the director general of WHO, Covid-19 spreads "less efficiently than flu, transmission does not appear to be driven by people who are not sick, it causes more severe illness than flu". So in short, they say that close to everyone who is confirmed to have it displays symptoms (although asymptomatic carriers can and do exist, I assume), it doesn't seem to spread as "well" as the flu, but it can cause more severe symptoms and, at least statistically speaking, it seems to be deadlier on the whole. So both good and bad stuff.

I really do recommend keeping check on the WHO website. The daily (or every other day) briefings offered by the director general are very helpful. Not like all the doom-mongering garbage you'll find on blogs, journals or, God forbid, on social media. Straight to the point, level-headed, helpful stuff, not driven by ideological or political agendas.

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/deta...--3-march-2020
    Excellent advice, Krueger. Thank you for sharing.

My wife is working on getting instruction out to her kids (though it's hard to say how many will actually be engaged with it). My district has yet to make a decision about shutting down beyond this week.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

I'd like to sincerely thank the folks who offered prayer and positive vibes my way. I'm happy to report I'm cleared to return to work tomorrow, and the virus has left my body completely.

I've had a couple of PMs with questions as to how I got it, how it felt, etc, so I figured I'd just sum up the chain of events as they happened here in this thread.

Background: I frequently travel to Seattle from Ohio for work. I have a disease that compromises my immune system, causing me to catch whatever virus is making the rounds at the time, but I'm able to recover quickly from flus, colds, etc.

°Last Monday I had a business meeting in Seattle. I limited my interaction with other humans due to the outbreak there.

°Tuesday morning in Ohio I woke up with mild flu symptoms. Runny nose, sore throat, mild cough. Went to the Doctor to get tested, was told to quarantine for six days. I was number 52 on the list of "under investigation" possible Ohio COVID-19 patients.

°Test results confirmed I had the virus. I contacted everyone I had intimate or semi-intimate contact with since Monday. One co-worker also came down with a fever, so she voluntarily self-quarantined until yesterday. No one else appeared to be infected.

°By Thursday night, all symptoms were gone.

°I went in for a follow-up appointment today and got cleared to return to work tomorrow. Coincidentally I also got a call from my county's health department informing me that I had COVID-19 and needed to come in for screening. I referred them to my Doctor.

So that's my experience in a nutshell.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Any insight on the testing process? I'm seeing all this noise in the news about a shortage of testing kits, but can't tell what's legit. It sounds like you got tested without much delay, if any.

I have an email from my primary care physician's office saying:

"The health of our patients remains our top priority and we are maintaining up-to-date knowledge of COVID-19.
    As of today, there is no outpatient testing available in
    Central Texas for this virus. We will provide an update when this testing becomes available.
    At this time, we recommend that you follow the
    Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines regarding COVID-19."

This was on March 12th.
    So far in my area, as of today, there's a drive-up testing station in the city that you have to make an advanced appointment to go to and... that's about it. My understanding is it's not as simple as just walking into a doctor's office and getting tested just because you feel a little off. I imagine this obviously varies based on where you live in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by moltak View Post
    Any insight on the testing process? I'm seeing all this noise in the news about a shortage of testing kits, but can't tell what's legit. It sounds like you got tested without much delay, if any.
    It was a 30 second affair. Hold the swab again your inner cheek, count to 10, doc puts it in a tube and seals it in a plastic bag.

I asked him about the supposed shortage of testing kits. His reply was "If you're unable to source plastic containers and cotton swabs, then you're probably not a very good medical facility." The actual testing is done by a third party like LabCorp. If they have some specialized kits they use, then maybe there's a shortage? I don't know. He made it seem like another media-driven panic that didn't actually exist.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.