Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I will refrain from posting ANY of my 'controversial' thoughts on the subject. Here in NYS everyone has gone mad, but we are already pretty removed from things being homeschoolers. My hubby's employer closed their offices and require that everyone works from home. We are grateful for that. I had a scare because I was having what I thought was pain in my lungs and when I would get worked up I was having shortness of breathe. Went to the doctor and it turns out I screwed up one of the tendons in my back again. My lungs are clear (I didn't have any other symptoms). I didn't think I had coronavirus, but I was concerned about whether or not I had something that would require meds to clear up. You have no clue how excited I was to get that diagnosis (even though it hurts still). Praying everyone stays safe and healthy!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I don't know. He made it seem like another media-driven panic that didn't actually exist.
    The media already has lost all credibility and the way they are handling this situation should make ANYONE rethink watching it. I think the country would benefit from a three-week mainstream media quarantine.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

I'm in NY. Its kinda a **** show here.
    Our schools closed Monday but faculty and staff reported. We were able to get materials ready for students and then were ordered to come back until Wed. Then we got a call today informing us that we could not come in. I took all my plants yesterday cause I had a feeling. I looked around my library and thought to myself, I may not see it again until Sept. I just have to leave it all as it was...so eerie.

I believe we have the most cases in the country. All restaurants, bars, theaters, and schools are shut down in NY. You cannot visit a nursing home or hospital unless its end of life. Gorcery stores have modified their hours and now have set limits on food. Who would have thought we would live in such chaos. I keep reading about the Spanish Flu of 1918. As a history nerd it helps me. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy. Please be mindful of the elderly and those in need.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Our schools closed Monday but faculty and staff reported. We were able to get materials ready for students and then were ordered to come back until Wed. Then we got a call today informing us that we could not come in. I took all my plants yesterday cause I had a feeling. I looked around my library and thought to myself, I may not see it again until Sept. I just have to leave it all as it was...so eerie.

I believe we have the most cases in the country. All restaurants, bars, theaters, and schools are shut down in NY. You cannot visit a nursing home or hospital unless its end of life. Gorcery stores have modified their hours and now have set limits on food. Who would have thought we would live in such chaos. I keep reading about the Spanish Flu of 1918. As a history nerd it helps me. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy. Please be mindful of the elderly and those in need.
    I didn't know you were in NY too.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither!"

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post

On behalf of my fellow elderly citizens, "Thank you."

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    I work in Shipping & Logistics for a massive Gaming Manufacturing Company in Las Vegas, and we are All still here, lol! The Execs are all working from home though! I'm not worried though, as I'm immune to conventional ailments! My only issues are blood-pressure.
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!

As someone who works in the service industry in a big city, it's all "wait and see" at this point. Today may or may not have been my last day at work for the next six weeks. We are currently scrambling to figure out if we should A) modify to a strictly to-go business model (which we demonstrated the past two days, we can) or B) even keep our doors open at all if everybody is supposed to be practicing social distancing and staying home in order to quell the spread of the virus. Balancing being there for the community and keeping the staff employed vs. taking us entirely out of the equation, because people shouldn't really be coming in to get stuff at this point anyways. Luckily my employers are able to take care of us for at least a month (after that... no one really knows. Unemployment? Is the government going to step in and help out? Will we simply be able to open after just two weeks? Four?). And we are definitely a small mom & pop business with a staff of six, including the store manager.
    Meanwhile, all restaurants are shutting their dining rooms and are strictly take-out only. Bars and music venues have been shuttered for AT LEAST six weeks. So bartenders, wait staff, etc... all out of jobs as of noon today. Movie theaters are closed. Slowly, local retail shops are closing up (bike shops, clothing stores, record shops). And to think, just one week ago the entire city was freaking out because they pulled the plug on South By Southwest and it's like... well, we've got BIGGER problems now. And I'm sure it's just the tip of the iceberg. And definitely happening (or about to happen) to every person on earth. If you personally are not currently affected by this, trust me- you're going to be in a short amount of time. I can't even count the amount of people I know who are in some serious deep **** right now because of sudden loss of jobs.

I sure as heck hope companies are going to show some flex on paying bills the next couple of months. So many people who work wage jobs are getting kicked square in the pants, and will have no way to make ends meet if companies don't ease up on payments for rent / mortgage, utilities, etc.
    Even buying food is going to be hard for a number of people.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Fingers crossed. So far, my local movie theatre's "Season Pass" is the only "monthly expense" to send out an email saying that since the theatres are closed, they are suspending the monthly fee and it will kick back on once they are open again.
    I was like "well, that's nice... now where's Verizon, the gas company, the electric company, water, credit cards, mortgage payment, etc etc etc with similar emails?" ... LOL! (Except more like I'm crying instead of laughing).
    One thing's for sure. This virus has become the great equalizer. We are in this together, across the entire planet.

It was a 30 second affair. Hold the swab again your inner cheek, count to 10, doc puts it in a tube and seals it in a plastic bag.

I asked him about the supposed shortage of testing kits. His reply was "If you're unable to source plastic containers and cotton swabs, then you're probably not a very good medical facility." The actual testing is done by a third party like LabCorp. If they have some specialized kits they use, then maybe there's a shortage? I don't know. He made it seem like another media-driven panic that didn't actually exist.
    This.

This is where the actual shortage of supply is.

My wife is a microbiologist at the Children's Hospital, and she says that they are waiting on shipments of swabs...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    We now have a curfew here. And food is depleted at grocery stores. There is also no school, no restaurants open (aside from drive-thru). People are buying guns.

"There are just 3,000 intensive care beds in New York, while the home government expects up to 40,000 people will be needing intensive care soon. This explains the reasons why the authorities are discreetly discussing a general quarantine to be announced perhaps in the next 48 hours."

"Apparently the situation is going to get VERY much worse in Florida within a week according to internal predictions, because the rules are not being followed and the Florida government is not taking the appropriate measures."

Here is a link in french with many informations about the virus spread in the world not yet (or just yet) disclosed publicly, I just have no idea who is the guy relaying all of the informations but all of them
    turn out to be true days after days...
    https://t.me/s/coronalive
    Because only in french try the google automatic translate, sometimes you will have a hard time understanding because he talks about French territory without specifying mixed with other countries informations.

Guys please take this virus extremly seriously, in Europe it starts to do big damages in many places and the military forces are now gradually being deployed.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    My wife and I are relatively lucky, all things considered.

She works for the local public library, which is essentially a government funded job. Starting this week, they are closed until at least April 6th (if the don't extend it further). Employees are still getting their full pay and benefits, so she effectively is getting 3 weeks off with pay.

My job started mandatory work from home this week through April 10th, so about the next 4 weeks (if they don't extend it further). For my department, it's actually going to mean things will likely be relatively quiet for the next few weeks as a decent chunk of what we do is more hands-on in the office. But there is still other stuff to work on remotely. It will be a good time to get to the things that we often put off due to other priorities taking precedent.

Both my wife and I have already been home for the better part of the last 2 weeks. We both had the flu (I got it first, then she started a couple of days later... we think I likely caught it at the C2E2 convention at the end of February). I used some sick time for while I was really feeling bad, and worked from home the rest of the time, as my company was already advising people to stay home if they had any illness symptoms at all, regardless of whether or not it is the virus. I was about to finally go back to the office this week, then the mandatory work from home started. Likewise, my wife (who can't work from home, so she was using sick/vacation time while ill) was going to go back this week but then they closed the library.

Not to go too far into tar swamp territory, but while we are in relatively good shape under the circumstances, I do worry about the larger impact this will have on the economy overall, and those who are being told not to go to work but don't get paid time off, etc. In Illinois, where we are, sit down restaurants are closed for dine-in and can only offer take out. So while their businesses are still running to an extent, that still means a lot of wait staff, etc. is likely not working.

I know the government has extended some special unemployment benefits to deal with this, but that will likely only go so far.

I have mixed feelings since, as others have said, in some respects this all does seem rather excessive for something that essentially may not be much more than a somewhat stronger flu virus.

At the same time, since this is something that there is currently no vaccine for, I do understand the precautions on some level. My immune system is also technically compromised due to some medication that I'm on, so I do have some concern there (even though my recovery time for most other illnesses like my recent flu doesn't ever seem to be any longer on average than that of most other people while she is offset by a couple of days from me since she started a bit later, my wife and my respective recovery times have been about the same, with her basically feeling roughly how I felt (in terms of getting worse initially and later improving) two days prior at any given time).

I hope everything goes as well as it can for everyone negatively impacted by this in some way, shape, or form.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    We now have a curfew here. And food is depleted at grocery stores. There is also no school, no restaurants open (aside from drive-thru). People are buying guns.
    Same, but I would equate soft-lockdown as Emergency over here in Malaysia. weird that we have 2 confirmed death over the virus roughly 18 hours after the lockdown announcement. I wish I could give y'all videos but it mostly Reddit based videos so I have no idea how to embed it.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

I'd like to sincerely thank the folks who offered prayer and positive vibes my way. I'm happy to report I'm cleared to return to work tomorrow, and the virus has left my body completely.
    Yes! That's great!

Meanwhile....
    I met 3 heroes: their names are Jedi_Kunle, Mikethedrummer and Miracle Max.
    And I also met an angel called David. Good journey, sit tibi terra levis.

Huuuuu...guys, I gotta vent.
    As a retail manager, who works in a mall, it is SO frustrating!!
    The mall says it's the company's decision to close. The company says it's the mall's decision.
    Not to mention we are 1 of 5 stores open, with all the "anchor" stores closed.
    Meanwhile people still come in, with babies, and I mean under 1 year old, and; I've seen several pregnant women.
    I do everything they tell us, my hands are SO dried out they are cracking.
    Staples has canceled our hand sanitizer and lysol wipes because they are so out of inventory and not expecting them in again anytime soon.
    I have had to reduce hours of operation to the point of only 2 people working in total, me and my assistant.
    I spent 30 minutes yesterday calming her down on the phone because she is terrified.
    All-in we made $110 over 9 hours.
    I keep trying to just keep my head down and keep it moving, but, it's like anyone in a position to be a leader has failed to do anything.
    Money, money,money.
    I just keep thinking that all the people out acting like "no big deal" are the ones you have to stay away from the most, and here I am out with them.
    I mean hell the "it's just a bad flu"...fool...I don't want the flu let alone a "bad" case of it, that they don't have definitive treatment for.

- - - Updated - - -

The thing that gets me most, the "economic impact".
    As someone who worked, for 6 years, in a volunteer organization after Hurricane Katrina...
    Try having NO house, NO grocery store, NO utilities, NO car, NO clothes.
    People are out here worrying about a new tv, a new computer, a new phone, meaningless JUNK!
    The communities of MS & LA are stronger than EVER before!
    They are still standing!

Yesterday, Kansas joined the rest of the states that have shut down school for the rest of the school year. I work in education as a para, which is basically like a teacher assistant who works with students with learning disabilities. Neither the school system I live in, nor the one I work for have made any announcements as to how they are going to go forward. I'm sure they will do some kind of online learning. But I have no idea where that leaves me. My job is to assist students with disabilities. I help them with clarification on work instructions. Help them with strategies to complete assignments. Read for students who have trouble reading. Stuff like that. I have no idea how I can do that remotely. Especially considering that one of the most common things my students need help with is how to operate their Macbooks.

Right now I'm just chilling at home with my kids. I guess I can finally finish the fence for my wife's garden to keep out those pesky rabbits. I'm sure at some point, my kids will have online learning and I'll have to oversee my kids and make sure they're doing their work. If my work has something for me to do online, that'll be hard for me to juggle doing what I need to do and make sure my own kids are doing their work. But I honestly don't see how I can possibly do what I do remotely. For now, I've got a fence to build.

Monetarily, I'll be alright. At most, I guess there's the possibility of losing 1/4 of my yearly pay given that there is an entire quarter of school left. But really, what I make is minuscule compared to what my wife makes. She brings home the bacon. One of the main reasons I have the job I have is so I can be on my kids schedule and have off when they have off. My wife works for FEMA and can be deployed at any moment. In fact, she's currently away on a 1 month deployment.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I started seeing leaked videos coming out of China in early January (I think) on alternative media. We have a large college population of Chinese folks that had just came back from China (including Wuhan) and there were rumors of cases much earlier than it was being reported. Our good for nothing Health Department said they would NOT report if there were any cases and they forced a local fire department to remove a warning post on their FB wall. It was then I started social distancing with my family. We stopped going to all of our homeschool groups, clubs and hosting play dates. We also started getting a few extra supplies every store run. My hubby canceled all of his trips/speaking engagements. Back then people thought he was being overtly cautious. I have a weakened immune system, so I cannot be too cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Huuuuu...guys, I gotta vent.
    As a retail manager, who works in a mall, it is SO frustrating!!
    The mall says it's the company's decision to close. The company says it's the mall's decision.
    Not to mention we are 1 of 5 stores open, with all the "anchor" stores closed.
    Meanwhile people still come in, with babies, and I mean under 1 year old, and; I've seen several pregnant women.
    I do everything they tell us, my hands are SO dried out they are cracking.
    Staples has canceled our hand sanitizer and lysol wipes because they are so out of inventory and not expecting them in again anytime soon.
    I have had to reduce hours of operation to the point of only 2 people working in total, me and my assistant.
    I spent 30 minutes yesterday calming her down on the phone because she is terrified.
    All-in we made $110 over 9 hours.
    I keep trying to just keep my head down and keep it moving, but, it's like anyone in a position to be a leader has failed to do anything.
    Money, money,money.
    I just keep thinking that all the people out acting like "no big deal" are the ones you have to stay away from the most, and here I am out with them.
    I mean hell the "it's just a bad flu"...fool...I don't want the flu let alone a "bad" case of it, that they don't have definitive treatment for.

- - - Updated - - -

As someone who worked, for 6 years, in a volunteer organization after Hurricane Katrina...
    People are out here worrying about a new tv, a new computer, a new phone, meaningless JUNK!
    They are still standing!
    I'm in the same boat. I work for a company that sells glasses. We have 1 on 1 contract with customers. The stupid thing is, I tell the associates that they have to clean any frame a customer tries on, they just can't put it back. Everything needs to be disinfected every day. The Dr.s office is upset because of the amount of exposure they're getting servicing the patients.

They've reduced our hours, but we're still open.

I had a regional manager visiting me, he brought bleach and cleaning supplies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    They are still standing!
    The big difference between what you're describing and people's concerns now is that, if the whole country experiences an economic meltdown, there's no one to help you when you lose everything.

Right now it's just a cautious worry. But if the economy continues to suffer, it could have a devastating impact on hundreds of millions of US citizens alone. Not to mention the impact on the rest of the world.

I'm at work right now. People who CAN work from home here are doing so. We were having an awesome month up until a few days ago when numbers tanked. Sure it could turn around at any time. But if it doesn't? Heck, even if it does it will still have long term effects.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

Master of New Adventures!
    As one of the elderly, I've been very careful. But when a FedEx package arrived an hour ago I cut my thumb ripping it open. I've read that the virus can live on plastic wrapping for at three days. I feel like Renee Russo in Outbreak when she cuts her hand and Dustin Hoffman asks if she put betadine on it. Really?

I'm hoping I don't get it from this and end up like her...

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...d-on-packages/

Postie delivered some packages on saturday, one of which needed signing for, he said he couldn’t give me the scanner to sign it so he had to do it himself, fair enough, then he handed me my packages, so wait, I can’t touch your stuff but you can touch mine Went to the supermarket about an hour ago, it had been destroyed, I’ve no desire to panic buy but does that make me the foolish one or everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    Postie delivered some packages on saturday, one of which needed signing for, he said he couldn’t give me the scanner to sign it so he had to do it himself, fair enough, then he handed me my packages, so wait, I can’t touch your stuff but you can touch mine Went to the supermarket about an hour ago, it had been destroyed, I’ve no desire to panic buy but does that make me the foolish one or everyone else?
    People will slowly stop doing this stocking-up thing they are doing right now, and grocery stores will start becoming more and more normal in time. We just need to wait it out.
    In the mean time, my advice is get what you can for your immediate needs and don't drift into panic mode. Maybe stop in to the store once a day and buy a little of this, and a little of that, and do it each day until you have what you need, if that's an option for you.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I didn't know you were in NY too.
    Yep. Always cloudy Central New York.

Our Governor said that non-essentail businesses must send 50% of its workforce home. It's maddening to me because my husband CAN work from home but they WON"T let him. I do not see the logic in this, but now it appears he won't have a choice. Today, our county closed the malls.

my parents refuse to stay home, but I saw a very interesting article about Gen X and how the forgotten generation has been waiting for this moment all their lives. We were the latchkey kids. We know all about hunkering down and long times in isolation. They are seeing now that the young may not be immune and that cases of younger people are on the rise. We had a 20 year old in our county that is sick.

I am very concerned about the people that had a job one day and now do not.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

My school district finally made the call that we are closed through April 3rd. My wife and daughter's district will open after Easter (as of now). I just constructed some curriculum for my 11th Grade English Classes, though we haven't actually had any of our meetings about low-tech options yet. (They'll happen via Zoom in the next few days.)

This is a strange time. I miss my students. I am a bit worried we might not actually get to reconvene before the end of the school year.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy