Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    People will slowly stop doing this stocking-up thing they are doing right now, and grocery stores will start becoming more and more normal in time. We just need to wait it out.
    In the mean time, my advice is get what you can for your immediate needs and don't drift into panic mode. Maybe stop in to the store once a day and buy a little of this, and a little of that, and do it each day until you have what you need, if that's an option for you.
    Yeah, most of the stuff stores are low on there isn't really a shortage of. It's the fact they can only ship out so much. The store system I work for has eliminated a lot of the less basic stuff so that we can focus on the things that is having trouble staying at the store level. Working in produce this means we have gone to just carrying russets, no sweets etc on the potatoes. At least for the ordering purposes, warehouse still has some to get out and may still get some as farmers have to move product somewhere but it will be more passed on to the stores.

Most of this stuff is psychological, someone tells you there is a shortage with no proof, you go to your local store see none on the shelf you buy into the image. So you go and buy up what you can furthering the situation.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised this is part of the reason some of the states etc are going into lockdown is to keep people from overbuying.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    All the toilet paper companies (or most of them) are in the USA. They're all producing and delivering toilet paper. But because of what happened in Japan and Australia and people panicking, people in the USA just started panicking and buying toilet paper despite being in really good shape when it comes to getting toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    All the toilet paper companies (or most of them) are in the USA. They're all producing and delivering toilet paper. But because of what happened in Japan and Australia and people panicking, people in the USA just started panicking and buying toilet paper despite being in really good shape when it comes to getting toilet paper.
    Agreed. And these companies will keep on making it. If people buy it, they'll make more. It may take a bit longer to get stuff restocked, but it's coming.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    The thing that gets me most, the "economic impact".
    As someone who worked, for 6 years, in a volunteer organization after Hurricane Katrina...
    Try having NO house, NO grocery store, NO utilities, NO car, NO clothes.
    People are out here worrying about a new tv, a new computer, a new phone, meaningless JUNK!
    I hear what you are saying, and I agree completely. But I do not think it is accurate to associate the phrase "economic impact" with those discretionary consumer goods you mentioned. Not without a heavy implication by context.

I use terms like "economic impact" frequently, and I am talking precisely about people losing their homes, jobs, and basic amenities...not consumer junk or investor ROI or any of those first world problems. As Dice said, if the economy truly goes down the toilet and a lack of trade activity shockwaves through all industries, then businesses will fail, prices will collapse, and no one will have a safe job, or home, etc.

Having said that, I want to reiterate once again that I do not expect this to happen. I believe in human creativity and ingenuity, especially when under pressure, and this situation is no exception. Our species has certainly faced bigger threats than this.

- - - Updated - - -

People will slowly stop doing this stocking-up thing they are doing right now, and grocery stores will start becoming more and more normal in time. We just need to wait it out.
    In the mean time, my advice is get what you can for your immediate needs and don't drift into panic mode. Maybe stop in to the store once a day and buy a little of this, and a little of that, and do it each day until you have what you need, if that's an option for you.
    That's exactly what I am doing for ordinary perishables, which I eat more often than non-perishables. I go every day or two, sometimes without carrying a basket, so that I limit any hoarding urges that bubble up.

The good news is, people can hardly hoard perishables. Freezers are only so large and so numerous. They'll run out of places to put them eventually, and they'll return to the shelves.

Agreed. And these companies will keep on making it. If people buy it, they'll make more. It may take a bit longer to get stuff restocked, but it's coming.
    Indeed, the panic buying served as a consumer-driven stimulus for these companies. They made money; now they're going to produce more in order to make even more money.

So here in the UK, if the government did nothing it’s said that the death toll could be upwards of 250,000. Because measures are now in place, they think they can get that down quite considerably. Apparently, a body count of 20,000 would be a "good" outcome. It would basically be likened to a really bad flu season. Obviously I can see what they mean, but that's 20,000 human beings snuffed out just like that. We'll see what happens. I assume the UK will be in complete lockdown within a couple of weeks, give or take.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    So here in the UK, if the government did nothing it’s said that the death toll could be upwards of 250,000. Because measures are now in place, they think they can get that down quite considerably. Apparently, a body count of 20,000 would be a "good" outcome. It would basically be likened to a really bad flu season. Obviously I can see what they mean, but that's 20,000 human beings snuffed out just like that. We'll see what happens. I assume the UK will be in complete lockdown within a couple of weeks, give or take.
    Please provide more details.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Please provide more details.
    This is for the UK, not world wide: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...EPLo14tsr42ygs

I'm not a huge fan of the Huffington Post, regardless.... that is a frightening article.

I can't help but feel like a lot of "news" is getting put out there without it being properly vetted... talking heads on television are freaking people out with "worst case scenario" type reporting, and social media has exploded in a cacophony of doomsday posts on every. single. platform.

For the first few days, I didn't let it bother me... but, now I am feeling the weight of imposed isolation and every single article, report, email, message, note, and podcast focusing on COVID-19...

My wife and I went for a nice, long walk all throughout our neighborhood this evening. The weather was beautiful and the sunset was gorgeous. We saw a huge number of folks walking dogs, playing at the park and taking a stroll like us... it really made me feel better seeing others who weren't in the "Walking Dead" mentality.

Like many others, our governor has closed any business that serves multiple people at once, i.e. restaurants, theaters, bars, etc. Including many of the local businesses... and those are the people I feel the worst for. They will most likely lose their livelihood and close up shop because they can't afford to be "closed" for the next 8 weeks - minimum!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Anyone who doesn't take this COVID-19 seriously is a piece of garbage. These people need to pay attention to the news. People are getting seriously ill & dying from this, and they're not all older people/people with compromised immune systems.

Plus, these *******s partying are potentially spreading the virus, and this is very avoidable. I saw a news clips of these nimrods in Miami Beach upset that their Spring Break plans are affected. People are getting seriously ill & dying of this virus and you're upset that this puts a crimp in your having a good time? Morons.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...g-break-party/
    Last edited by man-e-faces; March 19, 2020 at 08:12am.

Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post
    Anyone who doesn't take this COVID-19 seriously is a piece of garbage. These people need to pay attention to the news. People are getting seriously ill & dying from this, and they're not all older people/people with compromised immune systems.

Plus, these *******s partying are potentially spreading the virus, and this is very avoidable. I saw a news clips of these nimrods in Miami Beach upset that their Spring Break plans are affected. People are getting seriously ill & dying of this virus and you're upset that this puts a crimp in your having a good time? Morons.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/aint-seri...074801407.html
    Your link isn't working.

So today, some of the people at my facility that had been on self quarantine are coming back to work. I can't decide if this is a good thing but they seem to think that leadership showing their face will boost moral to the rest of the workforce.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

I Got This email

A Note From Our Founder Brian Flynn On Coronavirus
    Friends & Family of Super7,

At Super7, we care deeply about the health and safety of our customers, clients, and colleagues, which is why I spent yesterday and today talking with our team and reflecting about what our role can and should be in response to COVID-19. As an independent local business, we know that we must prioritize the safety of our community, customers and employees and do our part as we all face the impact of this virus.

First, we are closely monitoring and following all directives from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and our local and state officials. We remain committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment while also ensuring we are doing our part to serve our customers and communities. We know it’s important to be transparent about how our entire Super7 family will be affected and what steps we have already taken.

We’re doing our part

We have implemented a work from home policy for all office staff to ensure our team stays healthy and safe.
    Based on guidance from San Francisco County, we will be closing our San Francisco Super7 retail store through April 7th and will continue to follow the guidance of state and local officials in relation to reopening.
    Out of an abundance of caution and in support of social distancing, we will also be closing our San Diego retail store at the end of the day today (Tuesday March 17th) until further notice.
    Despite these closures, we remain committed to all our hourly employees, ensuring they will continue to be paid during this uncertain time.
    For those practicing safe social distancing, we are proud to be able to serve our customers via our online store www.super7.com
    We have postponed all events held by our retail stores and will continue to follow CDC guidance to avoid public gatherings.
    We have deferred all non-essential domestic and all international travel.

A Note on Ordering Online, Shipping and Delivery Times

Currently, we have a full set of stock available on our online store and we are continuing to fulfill orders. These orders are shipped through our partner shipping carriers, who we are actively working with them to minimize transit delays. However, customers in regions heavily impacted by COVID-19 may experience shipping delays and we have been advised by our partner shipping carriers that customers should plan for added shipping days due to impacts on their workforce staffing. We will continue to update our website and social media with updates if changes occur.

A Final Thought: Keep Calm & Stay Happy

We are all in this together. As we look to readjust our daily schedules and routines to keep our loved ones, family members, friends, and colleagues safe, we are here to support each other. During this uncertain time, it is more important than ever to continue to have joy and happiness in our daily lives, something we at Super7 hope to continue to be a part of for you and your families.

Thank you for your support and for your loyalty to Super7.

Sincerely,
    Brian Flynn
    Founder, Super7
    So Glad Super7 has the Thundercats Lic. Looking forward to all they have to offer.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Your link isn't working.
    Fixed. Yahoo must have taken down the page for some reason. The new link is related to the same story.

There is a difference in taking it seriously and panicking though. People buying hundredS of pounds of potatoes are making the situation worse for people who might just want to buy an extra bag of potatoes just in case.

Most people are taking it seriously, just so many are panicking which cause those who are taking it seriously to tell them to chill out which is picked up by those who aren't taking it as seriously.

I have told many people, the time to panic is when there is something like a 30% fatality rate, last I heard worst case scenario we are looking at 3% (not breaking into demographics). But taking it seriously does mean we should adjust how we behave.

Years ago we had an event at our church one of the members went to shake my hand I offered him an elbow bump. I have seasonal allergies, was feeling their affects but just in case I still adjust what I do in case it isn't. He came up to me later and apologized he said at first we was a bit angry and put out but the more he thought about it he appreciated it especially considering he's the father of three young children.

Yes, right now I am experiencing those allergies someone did go to question me about my cough and someone who I have worked with for years cut them off and said he gets like this every year around this time.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...g-break-party/
    I agree, but I think that goes to show ya "It wont happen to me" syndrome. That and what do they care because they aren't in the demographic to get it, though now it seems they are the demographic.

And while I think we should all be viglent. I am weary from the 24/7 news coverage on how we are all going to die. I mean, yes I am taking precautions, and I am trying to stay at home, but I have to get my license renewed and that is gonna make me go out because I need to prove who I am with three forms of ID. Anyway, yesterday I took a long walk in the woods and turned off the TV.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    There is a difference in taking it seriously and panicking though. People buying hundredS of pounds of potatoes are making the situation worse for people who might just want to buy an extra bag of potatoes just in case.
    Agreed, and in addition to the short-term shortage, that kind of panic buying will likely push prices up. Doubtful by a big margin, but it is still annoying.

Most of the people hoarding food will likely not use half of it before it goes bad, perishable or not. Even vegetable oil (which I don't know why anyone would eat willingly) expires eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    last I heard worst case scenario we are looking at 3%
    Yes. The latest numbers I have seen say 3.9% mortality rate, by dividing deaths by total confirmed cases.

The problem with that calculus is, we do not know how many people have this thing. Some positive cases have had very mild & short lived symptoms, or none at all. We truly have no idea how many people this describes, so when some of these epidemiologists and the news media throw these numbers around, they are almost worthless due to being wholly speculative.

The actual mortality rate is very likely much lower. Potentially worse than flu, but I doubt it's that much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    And while I think we should all be viglent. I am weary from the 24/7 news coverage on how we are all going to die.
    Yes, I had to get out yesterday. I managed to get on the work schedule, despite them keeping most of us home, and that did wonders on my mood and optimism --- being able to focus on a mission, rather than having nothing to do but sit in the house and consume hysterical news & social media all day.

The excessively dramatic and hysteria-fueled fake news media seems to make every crisis worse than it otherwise would be, and turns potential crises into real ones.

I would never advocate for a ban or controls on the media, but I think as a people we need to get desensitized to the news and get smarter and more independent-minded. It's too easy for greedy, unscrupulous profiteers to take advantage of sensitive emotions and fear, and that is is happening here to a large extent, for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by moltak View Post
    Yes. The latest numbers I have seen say 3.9% mortality rate, by dividing deaths by total confirmed cases.

The problem with that calculus is, we do not know how many people have this thing. Some positive cases have had very mild & short lived symptoms, or none at all. We truly have no idea how many people this describes, so when some of these epidemiologists and the news media throw these numbers around, they are almost worthless due to being wholly speculative.

The actual mortality rate is very likely much lower. Potentially worse than flu, but I doubt it's that much worse.
    My own personal prediction is at some point they'll throw in the towel on the mitigation efforts, move forward with accepting that many of us will get the virus, push that the vast majority will recover, and shift focus towards doing what we can to help protect and be mindful of the health of those more vulnerable to the virus.

COVID-19 is here to stay. And treating it like the plague is throwing the world into chaos. It's going to keep on spreading. Maybe not as much as before, but, you can't stop people coming into contact with one another. Especially with a virus where it may not show its face for a few days.

Death sucks. I don't want anyone to die. I doubt anyone else here does either. Still, at some point we have to come to terms with the effects of the virus, learning to cope with it, building natural immunity over time, and looking out for one another.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    My own personal prediction is at some point they'll throw in the towel on the mitigation efforts, move forward with accepting that many of us will get the virus, push that the vast majority will recover, and shift focus towards doing what we can to help protect and be mindful of the health of those more vulnerable to the virus.

COVID-19 is here to stay. And treating it like the plague is throwing the world into chaos. It's going to keep on spreading. Maybe not as much as before, but, you can't stop people coming into contact with one another. Especially with a virus where it may not show its face for a few days.

Death sucks. I don't want anyone to die. I doubt anyone else here does either. Still, at some point we have to come to terms with the effects of the virus, learning to cope with it, building natural immunity over time, and looking out for one another.
    This is 100% how I feel. The floodgates are open and we're gonna have to continue to live in a world where this illness exists. It will continue to spread because people are doers and social creatures.

Yeah, see, when all is said and done, I really don't think the mortality rate will be as high as they are saying now. Mortality rates tend to go through the roof at first. Higher than the flu is a dead cert I think, but certainly not into 3% territory. There are seven billion and a bit people on this planet. An awful lot of people are going to get this thing, but the vast majority are either going to get over it pretty quickly (yes, even old people), or have such few symptoms that they may not even have realised they had it, or have no symptoms at all. So the mortality rate will no doubt be lowered in time. I believe this is what happened with Swine Flu, or at least something similar.

There's also a little confusion here. The Chief Medical Advisor to the UK government made clear the other night that just because you're old and contract Covid-19, it is not a foregone conclusion that you will get a serious illness and die. More risk than a younger person, yes, but no way near a guarantee. I think there's a worry out there, particularly amongst older people, that if they get this thing, then that's it, they're dead. Not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the Huffington Post, regardless.... that is a frightening article.
    They're just reporting on what was on BBC News the other night. Basically, the old UK government's model risked about 250,000 deaths in the UK. Now with the new measures, they're confident they can get that down to 20,000 or lower. Still a horribly high amount of deaths, but not a quarter of a million.
    Last edited by Krueger; March 19, 2020 at 12:16pm.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I work for a company that sells glasses. We have 1 on 1 contract with customers. The stupid thing is, I tell the associates that they have to clean any frame a customer tries on, they just can't put it back. Everything needs to be disinfected every day. The Dr.s office is upset because of the amount of exposure they're getting servicing the patients.

They've reduced our hours, but we're still open.

I had a regional manager visiting me, he brought bleach and cleaning supplies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    I feel ya', I feel ya'

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    The big difference between what you're describing and people's concerns now is that, if the whole country experiences an economic meltdown, there's no one to help you when you lose everything.

Right now it's just a cautious worry. But if the economy continues to suffer, it could have a devastating impact on hundreds of millions of US citizens alone. Not to mention the impact on the rest of the world.

I'm at work right now. People who CAN work from home here are doing so. We were having an awesome month up until a few days ago when numbers tanked. Sure it could turn around at any time. But if it doesn't? Heck, even if it does it will still have long term effects.
    I can understand what you're saying as I did not go into great detail.
    As an Alabama resident, TBH, I am surprised I would have to.
    Prior to any outside Federal or private donations it was a community that came together.
    I guess all those people in the Great Depression just folded up and packed it in?
    They did without,. Did they suffer, 100%.
    Is what they went through worse than the sacrifices we may have to make
    At out age not having a cell phone or new toys or a new car or more clothes isn't, IMO, a sacrifice.
    I'd rather live poor and healthy than die being rich.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by moltak View Post
    I hear what you are saying, and I agree completely. But I do not think it is accurate to associate the phrase "economic impact" with those discretionary consumer goods you mentioned. Not without a heavy implication by context.

I use terms like "economic impact" frequently, and I am talking precisely about people losing their homes, jobs, and basic amenities...not consumer junk or investor ROI or any of those first world problems. As Dice said, if the economy truly goes down the toilet and a lack of trade activity shockwaves through all industries, then businesses will fail, prices will collapse, and no one will have a safe job, or home, etc.

Having said that, I want to reiterate once again that I do not expect this to happen. I believe in human creativity and ingenuity, especially when under pressure, and this situation is no exception. Our species has certainly faced bigger threats than this.

- - - Updated - - -

That's exactly what I am doing for ordinary perishables, which I eat more often than non-perishables. I go every day or two, sometimes without carrying a basket, so that I limit any hoarding urges that bubble up.

The good news is, people can hardly hoard perishables. Freezers are only so large and so numerous. They'll run out of places to put them eventually, and they'll return to the shelves.

Indeed, the panic buying served as a consumer-driven stimulus for these companies. They made money; now they're going to produce more in order to make even more money.
    I guess you can use the term how you want; however, economically speaking a DVD and house are both consumer goods. While they are further subdivided, both do actually fall under the economic category of "durable goods".
    Both, do tie directly into economic impact...
    Additionally, as I'm sure you know?, the economy is considered a cyclical environment. i.e. a lack of purchase for products = economic impact which does result in a loss of jobs driven by a lack of purchase.

Irregardless, while I think, you are sympathetic to what I'm saying, I don't think you're understanding it.

Bottom line, during the Great Depression extraordinary sacrifice was made by individuals and as a nation.
    It is through those sacrifices/lack of buying power for goods that drove it further.
    Remember it was the production of goods during WWII that put money back in the hands of citizens so they could have buying power, i.e. tvs and houses included.
    Additionally it is, what many economic scholars argue equates to national debt as we did not, as a country have the money it was barrowed...
    Finally the houses we live in, by many standards...the majority of the world does not live by American standards. Us "losing" our houses is the everyday life of millions of humans who walk, on foot, 2 hours to get cleanish water...
    Last edited by Stratos*Major; March 19, 2020 at 04:08pm.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    This is 100% how I feel. The floodgates are open and we're gonna have to continue to live in a world where this illness exists. It will continue to spread because people are doers and social creatures.
    I agree with this.

I noted in another thread that when I likely contracted COVID-19 on one side of the country, I had come into contact with probably 350 people by the time I flew back to my home on the other side of the country and showed my first symptoms. That was in less than 48 hours. I hope that I didn't infect anyone, but statistically I probably did. That's the world that we live in today.

Epidemiologists can't reach a consensus on what the actual mortality rate is, because we don't know how many people have it or have had it. It's suspected now that the "super flu" that everyone I know seems to have come down with in December and January may have been the first rounds of COVID-19 hitting the US. If that's the case, then the mortality rate of COVID-19 may be lower than that of the most severe strains of conventional flu.

But one thing almost all epidemiologists are agreeing on is that the majority of the world will have contracted COVID-19 by the end of this summer. I don't think it's anything to fear, because we see what fear has given us in return. The people wiping out grocery stores are what needs to be feared, along with the salivating media stoking the flames and driving non-critical thinkers into a panicked frenzy.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    ... along with the salivating media stoking the flames and driving non-critical thinkers into a panicked frenzy.
    And this type of reporting is coming from EVERY major news outlet. One agency doesn't want to let another get a one-up on them, so they continue to report possible outcomes of the pandemic... and this cycle continues over and over until viewers/listeners are shell-shocked.

No definitive answers are available, so instead fear-mongering takes its place. This is yet another example of when social media can do more harm than good...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar

It is not fear-mongering or hysteria, it is math and science.

I went to the store last night to buy regular necessities. Just food and the like. The place was wrecked. I had seen photos on social media of stores all over, but I had no idea it was this bad. I didn't realize how badly the president declaring a national emergency would make things. I should have known better, though.

I chatted with one of the stock guys, and we joked back and forth about the insanity of it. He told me I should have been there earlier in the day because people were acting crazy.

So I asked him what I should do, because the basics I needed weren't there. He said to come back near close at 1am, or at 6am when they opened, as they would be re-stocking through the night.

I came back at 6am. There was already a lot of people waiting to get in. When I got inside, there wasn't a lot re-stocked. I saw the same guy on the floor and asked him how it went? He said people shopped all the way until 1am and were grabbing stuff as soon as they put it out. He looked exhausted.

I was able to get most of what I wanted, but things like frozen vegetables (which I needed the most) were depleted at 6am. It's weird to see the store like this.

Just like with influenza, the elderly and people with respiratory conditions need to be careful. And we should all check in on people we know who might be at more risk. And for ourselves, we should exercise the same precautions we would to protect ourselves from the flu. Night Stalker here on the forums has COVID-19 and has been posting about it over in the Power-Con discussion thread. He's doing fine.

Personally, I'd like to get COVID-19 now just to get it over with. I realize it's not exactly like influenza, but it doesn't seem to be that far off based on everything I'm reading and watching. Some people didn't even realize they had it because their symptoms were so mild. In 4 (wishful) to 8 (likely) weeks, I am fairly confident things will all be back to the regular daily grind.
    It's crazy Val. I'm not passing judgement on anyone who is elderly, living with an elderly person, or someone with an underlying condition that could be at great risk, but I have lived through more than a few calamities and have never seen anything like the level of panic that I am seeing now. The 1970s blackouts in NYC (pretty much day to day life in NYC in the 70s and 80s to be frank), riots, blizzards, MTA strikes, 9/11, the major blackout of 2003, I'm only a block from Jamaica Bay and my beach community was devastated in the wake of hurricane Sandy, and yet the situation has never felt this, elevated to say the least. better safe than sorry of course but I don't know what to make of all this.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; March 19, 2020 at 06:04pm.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    It's crazy Val. I'm not passing judgement on anyone who is elderly, living with an elderly person, or someone with an underlying condition that could be at great risk, but I have lived through more than a few calamities and have never seen anything like the level of panic that I am seeing now. The 1970s blackouts in NYC, riots, 9/11, the major blackout of 2003, I'm only a block from Jamaica Bay and my beach community was devastated in the wake of hurricane Sandy, and yet the situation has never felt this, elevated to say the least. better safe than sorry of course but I don't know what to make of all this.

Regrettably, those of us in the world who are at an advanced age and have underlying health conditions, as I do in both cases, do not have the luxury of hoping we get it to just get it over with. For us it can be life threatening or at the least very serious, making it difficult to get back to the daily grind. I'm just recovering from having gone through a major medical situation over the holiday season and now this...

And yes, I know I was one of those who pooh-poohed Coronavirus in the beginning. I was wrong. My apologizes and gratitude to all those, but especially to GP Legend, who have been gracious enough to not post, "I told you so."

I pray all stay safe and healthy.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; March 19, 2020 at 06:09pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Regrettably, those of us in the world who are at an advanced age and have underlying health conditions, as I do in both cases, do not have the luxury of hoping we get it to just get it over with. For us it can be life threatening or at the least very serious, making it difficult to get back to the daily grind. I'm just recovering from having gone through a major medical situation over the holiday season and now this...

And yes, I know I was one of those who pooh-poohed Coronavirus in the beginning. I was wrong. My gratitude to those who haven't posted "I told you so."

I pray all stay safe and healthy.
    Aye, well met Olesker. It's wise to keep in mind not everyone is in the same situation that I am in. I'm just not used to seeing the country act like this. Hopefully it will all be behind us soon.