Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Classics issues VS today

All Classics issues VS today

So Iím sitting here in my basement looking at my toys. Iím looking at my Classics.
    Iím dusting off Castle Grayskull. Remember when everyone got all bent out of shape when it came out smaller than expected?
    How about those reversed shoulders?
    1 minute sell outs?
    All the threats to the BBB about King Hsss torso?
    She-Raís eyes/face?

Think about today. Think about what is going on in the world. Looking back, all those things just really donít matter in the big picture.
    Can you find toilet paper today? Water? I couldnít get bleach. Iím not too worried about when Snake Mountain comes out. Iím just making sure my neighbors have enough supplies.
    Just my two cents.
    Don't turn nothing down but your collar.

I've used all the shipping boxes to build a safe room in my basement until all this is over

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Panthor at Point Dread Old Bolty-Neck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChgoMarc View Post
    Just my two cents.
    I respectfully disagree with your two cents. I think your intention is good but I'm not on board.

You personally in 2020 have decided for a reason arising from current events that other people's opinions (be they complimentary or critical) that have been expressed over the years don't matter. Should they be made to regret or feel ashamed for having expressed a critique in (say) 2012 or 2015? I say no. I say this is a board expressly intended for people to speak up on such matters, so you're just "complaining about other people complaining", which has been done over and over: this isn't new. All that's new is your mention of present-day supermarket shortages.

If these opinions of other customers -- I might add, people whose discretionary-spending dollars have no less value than yours -- don't matter, then why was a putdown of them called for?

To address some of your particulars, let's say the King Hsss snake torso, I don't regret my response to that. I felt that Matty was signaling that they were willing to do business in bad faith at that time, and I voted with my pocketbook against their subsequent sales pitches (for Club Grayskull and Collector's Choice subs). While I'm not saying NOBODY should have bought those subs, I would also choose not to buy them today in that situation. Other customers felt that filing complaints (not "threats," whatever you mean by that) to BBB was the response that suited them, and I respect those judgments. That's why we have BBB, to at least hear what customers are saying when there's a matter they feel strongly on.

It's OK for you to not feel strongly today about something that was a topic back in a prior year, but that doesn't mean other people should not have ever had or expressed their opinions then.
    Of course there are more important things than toys, cartoons, movies, comics, and so forth. That's obviously true. I assume this is an understanding shared by everyone here, and that therefore my participation in a discussion thread is not interpreted as a sign that I am lacking in the aforementioned understanding. Thank you for observing that courtesy.

My Mega Construx gallery

Heroic Warrior
    Agree with bolt, for example, I am still annoyed at the trap door of CG classics and the size being smaller than promised.

Heroic Warrior
    I still wish Leech had a proportionate body like the vintage figure.

But it doesn't make me want to storm the offices of Mattel.

That stuff mattered then and it’s still wrong now. Just not as important today. I’m stocked up, so are my neighbors. My thoughts are with my parents whom are now bound to their home with no contact from me. My thoughts are now educating my 6 year old at home and my thoughts are with my wife whom manages clinics in a Niagara Falls and buffalo hospital. She leaves every day with a bag packed, in case she can’t come home. New York is rough right now. But we will get through this, we all will. And because of technology , a lot quicker. Until then, all the toys are serving their purpose, a great escape and great memories. But those mistakes are still there.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    That stuff mattered then and it’s still wrong now. Just not as important today. I’m stocked up, so are my neighbors. My thoughts are with my parents whom are now bound to their home with no contact from me. My thoughts are now educating my 6 year old at home and my thoughts are with my wife whom manages clinics in a Niagara Falls and buffalo hospital. She leaves every day with a bag packed, in case she can’t come home. New York is rough right now. But we will get through this, we all will. And because of technology , a lot quicker. Until then, all the toys are serving their purpose, a great escape and great memories. But those mistakes are still there.
    Well said! If we had more positively I think we’d all be in a much better spot. I mean still scary but a little hope can go a long way. Tell your wife thank you for all her hard work!
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

This is why Iím a go with the flow kind of guy. If you let yourself get all spun up over Stinkorís forearms being put on backwards, how are you going to react when something that actually matters goes wrong? Chill it out, keep a measured stance, assess and react to situations with the appropriate level of energy.

Iím sitting here in my basement looking at my toys. Iím looking at my Classics.
    Iím dusting off Castle Grayskull. Remember when everyone got all bent out of shape when it came out smaller than expected?
    1 minute sell outs?
    She-Raís eyes/face?

Think about today. Think about what is going on in the world. Looking back, all those things just really donít matter in the big picture.
    Can you find toilet paper today? Water? I couldnít get bleach. Iím not too worried about when Snake Mountain comes out. Iím just making sure my neighbors have enough supplies.
    Just my two cents.

Completely unrelated current events don't diminish errors made in the past. In the grand scheme of things, toys are always going to take a backseat to life's real woes. They did then, and they do now.

I'm glad that you had a moment of quiet introspection while admiring your collection, but that doesn't make the historical errors committed by Matty somehow trivial in retrospect, it just makes your post come off as pretentious and smug.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    I respectfully disagree with your two cents. I think your intention is good but I'm not on board.
    I agree with this. Some of the responses to Mattel's mistakes were overblown, however when you're selling a product and customers are committing blind to buy your product...mistakes matter.

The Mattel issues are smaller by comparison to today's world issues, but no less important.

Although, I probably feel this way because the Matty issues never really bugged me as much as some others... except for that weird red glow on He-Man 1.0's face... that always looked off.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

This is a toyforum. Everything since it was created is more important. What’s your point?
    cogito ergo doleo

I was only around for the Super 7 shipping delays (and the funky TF Teela head.) I've got all the figures except for Red Granamyr. They look fine to me.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    OP, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sorry if I ruffled anyone’s feathers.

No one is right or wrong. They are all just opinions.

But for me, after going to four different stores the other day trying to find bleach and TP, I looked around at all my comics and all my figures and just said to myself they aren’t that important to me anymore.
    Enjoy? Yes.
    Important? No.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.
    Don't turn nothing down but your collar.

But for me, after going to four different stores the other day trying to find bleach and TP, I looked around at all my comics and all my figures and just said to myself they aren’t that important to me anymore.
    Enjoy? Yes.
    Important? No.

It’s all context. I think you’re right in the context you were delivering your thoughts.

ChgoMarc, no sorry necessary. Your feelings are yours, you’re allowed to have them and share them. Just be choosey on which comics to use if your TP situation does not improve.

Brasco, thanks for the nice comments. My wife said that tents have now been erected at both of her hospitals in Niagara Falls and Buffalo. She said it feels like the calm before the storm. But she said though the staff are nervous they are ready and when the cases start flooding(hope they don’t) the brave in them all will win the day.

On my street only one car leaves, my wife. I’d trade every toy I own, to keep her with me one more day. The virus doesn’t scare me as much as out of hand people do. My son and I left our house for the first time in 8 days yesterday, just to drive my car so it doesn’t sit. We took a 10 minute drive, put on the guardians volume 2 soundtrack for my son. Man he has good taste for a 6 year old, and drove by Walmart. Man did I want to walk in. I work at home so this doesn’t change things for me, it’s just being told to stay is tough, but I know that is the one thing my son and I can do to help. My son face timed with his grandmother yesterday, over an hour, he was doing a puzzle and my mother was sewing masks for the local hospitals and any in need. They dint even talk most of the time, I guess just that contact was needed. We are ordering take-out every weekend to help local businesses, and I still buy things online with no notice. I don’t know why I even wrote all this, I guess I just wanted to say what’s on my mind. My wife doesn’t need to hear my concerns and I won’t put that on a 6 year old. So thanks for listening.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Horseman1981, you’re not bothering anyone airing your concerns. It’s funny how perspective hits us in the head every once in a while.

Sometimes my job and coworkers can drive me crazy, as I’m sure is the case for many people, but when we were all on conference this morning it was a shock to me how much I actually missed dealing with them in person. Every lousy one of them.

Widget
    I think what OP is saying is that the things people were complaining about seem so petty and trivial compared to what's happening today.

And he's absolutely right. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter if an action figure has messed up shoulders or the sculpt doesn't look right, not when potentially hundreds of thousands of people are in danger of getting sick and dying.

So anyway, OP I'm totally on board. Hopefully everything will go back to normal soon, then we can start complaining about action figures again.

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    I disagree as well. That was then and this is now. The OP is comparing apples to oranges.

Listening to Scott on Youtube gives a lot of context. It's amazing that Scott got as much done as he did with very little support from Mattel. At the time many were under the impression that Mattel was in full support of the classics line. We saw Scott as a mouth piece, but in reality if it wasn't for Scott pushing as hard as he did we would not have gotten much. Mattel was ready to dump the line as it was still to close to the failue of 200X and they wanted to create some distance before reimagining MOTU again. Were mistakes made of course but when it's a mostly 1 man show of course mistakes are bound to be made. I think if we had know more of the behind the scenes some guys would not have gone as extreme as they did. I know I would have been more understanding. But again that was then and this is now. Stay safe!
    Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Quote Originally Posted by thexxwatcherxx View Post
    I disagree as well. That was then and this is now. The OP is comparing apples to oranges.

Listening to Scott on Youtube gives a lot of context. It's amazing that Scott got as much done as he did with very little support from Mattel. At the time many were under the impression that Mattel was in full support of the classics line. We saw Scott as a mouth piece, but in reality if it wasn't for Scott pushing as hard as he did we would not have gotten much. Mattel was ready to dump the line as it was still to close to the failue of 200X and they wanted to create some distance before reimagining MOTU again. Were mistakes made of course but when it's a mostly 1 man show of course mistakes are bound to be made. I think if we had know more of the behind the scenes some guys would not have gone as extreme as they did. I know I would have been more understanding. But again that was then and this is now. Stay safe!
    Scott was always very vocal wit fans about how little internal support he got at Mattel, to the point where the line only existed because he ran it in his spare time without extra pay. Without his unyielding passion, Classics never would have existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Scott was always very vocal wit fans about how little internal support he got at Mattel, to the point where the line only existed because he ran it in his spare time without extra pay. Without his unyielding passion, Classics never would have existed.
    Yes, he completely martyred himself for the passion of the fans.

Scott was paid handsomely for his work. When his pay was cut due to his shortcomings as a brand manager, it was in direct response to the poor decisions he made.

This garbage about working for no pay "just to keep the line going, sigh, woe is me" is just that; garbage. Mattel has strict mandates about hourly employees working off the clock, as do all reputable companies. He would have been fired had that been the case. If he's insinuating that he worked for free when he was still under salary, then he is denser than he appears. (Newsflash: that's why you're paid a salary.)

Mattel gave Scott a shot at creating Mattycollector. Once again (because folks still don't seem to understand what this was all about) Mattel was interested in creating an online, direct to adult consumer webstore which a certain brand manager convinced them would make them rich. They didn't care what was being sold on this webstore, so long as it didn't impact their main product line. This is why two failed retail lines were shuffled in, because nobody could screw them up worse than they themselves had already screwed it up.

Mattel gave Scott parameters and resources to work within and with. It was clear from the outset that this venture either made it or it didn't; this was to prove the Mattycollector concept had legs. After endless negative consumer feedback and two straight years of losses, it was clear that this concept "didn't make it."

You can blame Mattel for not supporting the line (they were never supposed to), you can blame fans (like the brand manager did on numerous occasions), or you can blame the person who steered the ship. Regardless, that ship hit an iceberg that it saw coming years in advance.

Every fan that says "we only had this line thanks to Scott" is selling themself short. Scott only got his project off the ground thanks to MOTU and DC fans. We kept it going despite all the reprehensible things that occurred in the interim, and we kept it going long after he took his ball and went home.

The chilling effect that this had was that we'll never see another project like Mattycollector come out of Big Red ever again. On the other hand, had the line been a success insofar as Mattel having to acknowledge its existence, we may not have had Origins or this big Mattel-backed relaunch. It's easy for them to sweep Classics under the rug due to its relatively small sales footprint, ushering in an opportunity for a fresh line with full company support.

I'm not a Scott hater, a Classics hater, a Mattel apologist, or anything other than a MOTU fan that is sick of the narrative still being spun which has been proven to be demonstrably false for 10 years now. The fact that people still buy it is concerning.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

I thought that Mattycollector.com was created in addition to shop.mattel.com (Mattel Shop) in order to sell "Adult Collector" items...

And, whether Scott was the progenitor of MOTUC or not, you can't deny that he has a passion for Masters of the Universe.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I thought that Mattycollector.com was created in addition to shop.mattel.com (Mattel Shop) in order to sell "Adult Collector" items...

And, whether Scott was the progenitor of MOTUC or not, you can't deny that he has a passion for Masters of the Universe.
    The two were completely unrelated in both conception and administration.

I don't know if Scott has a passion for MOTU that extends beyond his own business and financial involvement. He began posting here to spread awareness of Classics, stopped posting when he left Mattel, and started posting again when he decided to become a professional Youtuber. One could easily mistake that "passion" for self-promotion.

So I’m sitting here in my basement looking at my toys. I’m looking at my Classics.
    I’m dusting off Castle Grayskull. Remember when everyone got all bent out of shape when it came out smaller than expected?
    1 minute sell outs?
    She-Ra’s eyes/face?

Think about today. Think about what is going on in the world. Looking back, all those things just really don’t matter in the big picture.
    Can you find toilet paper today? Water? I couldn’t get bleach. I’m not too worried about when Snake Mountain comes out. I’m just making sure my neighbors have enough supplies.
    Just my two cents.
    I look at my collection...maybe daily? All I see particularly now is the greatest action figure line ever. Oh sure, it will never replace the original line because the original line had all the vehicles, all the playsets. BUT as a figure line specifically it is demonstrably better.

There were a few things I had to fix back then (like I seem to remember I had to switch Frosta's forarms) but I can barely remember it now, or notice (or care) about the few things I could not fix (such as Stinkor's reversed forarms.)

This line was always way better than a few vocal, over-entitled, and bitterly nostalgic fans thought it was. The only thing I regret now is the things I missed (which I now get to hunt, which is a fun part of the hobby for me) and that Classics is evidently over.

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoy? Yes.
    Important? No.

Mine are still important. I agree however what I see as the more important point that I think you maybe were trying to make.

Being a fan is great, having passion is great, but you have to keep perspective or you poison yourself and your fandom.