Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filmation Differences

Heroic Warrior

Filmation Differences

Always wondered about why Filmation created so many discrepancies between the original toys and how they appeared in the cartoon.

Some of the cartoon versions that looked nothing like the toys were:

Snake Mountain
    Fright Zone
    Tung Lashor
    Kobra Khan
    Clawful
    ...and likely many more

But how about all of the smaller differences in the cartoon:

Man-At-Arms grew a moustache - why?
    Tri-Klops had red hair and red boots
    Evil-Lyn had pale skin color
    Faker looked exactly like He-Man except for the eyes - what happened to the blue skin??
    Trap jaw's arm became red
    Clawful was missing his larger claw and had red skin (and also looked nothing like his toy)

there's lot more

Even the smallest of things - like Tri-Klops's armour differed from the toy version even if it was a tiny difference - but why though? Why did Filmation need to make that small difference instead of just drawing it the way it was? Little changes like this weren't affecting the animation or making it any more complicated. I just always wondered why they did these things. They were kind of in their own little bubbles and carried on doing things their way instead of making these character designs actually look like the action figures.

But the smaller things - Tri Klops red boots, red hair, and Trap Jaw's red arm - always had me asking why.

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpi View Post
    Always wondered about why Filmation created so many discrepancies between the original toys and how they appeared in the cartoon.

Snake Mountain
    Fright Zone
    Tung Lashor
    Kobra Khan
    Clawful
    ...and likely many more

Faker looked exactly like He-Man except for the eyes - what happened to the blue skin??
    Clawful was missing his larger claw and had red skin (and also looked nothing like his toy)

there's lot more

Even the smallest of things - like Tri-Klops's armour differed from the toy version even if it was a tiny difference - but why though? Why did Filmation need to make that small difference instead of just drawing it the way it was? Little changes like this weren't affecting the animation or making it any more complicated. I just always wondered why they did these things. They were kind of in their own little bubbles and carried on doing things their way instead of making these character designs actually look like the action figures.

But the smaller things - Tri Klops red boots, red hair, and Trap Jaw's red arm - always had me asking why.
    I have some idea why certain things were different in the cartoon...

Regarding Snake Mountain and the Fright Zone, I believe the Filmation designs actually came first - not as sure about the latter, but definitely Snake Mountain - Mattel had an idea for a jungle playset, which they adapted into the Snake Mountain playset that was released.

As for Tung Lashor, his appearance in the series was based on an early prototype design by Mattel. By the time they got round to releasing the action figure his design had been altered almost beyond recognition.

I believe the reason MAA was given a moustache was because it better conveyed age and wisdom, as opposed to his clean-shaven look which may have caused him to appear younger.

Evil-Lyn I'm not so sure about as her whole colour scheme was changed quite drastically. I believe her skin was more of a yellowish tint in earlier episodes but took on a more caucasian tone as the series progressed.

Faker I know was originally supposed to look like the toy - he is described as such in Paul Dini's script for "The Shaping staff". But the animators chose to just reuse He-Man's model sheet to save money by avoiding producing a separate model sheet/animation cels for Faker.

Trap Jaw's arm gun I'm not sure about but it was likely because the artists felt that kids like lots of colour, so they probably felt a colourful design would work better on screen than black.

As for Clawful - there are actually a couple of lines in his early episodes that imply he was originally meant to have his toy's appearance - in Dree Elle's Return he says "My claw will get you" (as opposed to 'claws') and in Castle of Heroes Skeletor describes him as "my right-hand man" (likely intended as a pun on his large right claw). But it was the tendency for characters in the cartoon to be symmetrical in design so that their animation cels could be flipped around easily without causing them to appear wrong - so a Clawful with two equal-sized claws would save them the trouble and prevent him from occasionally appearing the wrong way round (notice how it's not that uncommon for Trap Jaw's gun to suddenly switch sides, or Two Bad's heads to swap round). As for why they changed Clawful's design so radically I don't know, but I suspect they wanted him to appear more like a sea creature now that his crab-like claws were less obvious.
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

Heroic Warrior
    cool! thanks for the reply

yeah I knew that it was easier for Filmation to create symmetrical character designs so they could just flip the cels throughout an episode. I can just imagine an animation company doing that nowadays, imagine the slack they'd get for being so lazy and cheap

Tri-Klops' original armour strip from the center of his chest down to his groin is orange on the action figure. But Filmation said 'nah, let's make it green', even though they made his belt orange which was proper. Go figure.

And then there's the whole voice-acting issues, where Mekanek sounds like two or three different people throughout his few appearances - compare his tone in Disappearing Dragons vs. Here, There, Skeletors Everywhere - they sound like two different people, and not to mention where Modulok 'squaks' like a bird in that very same episode... Same goes for Clawful - he has drastically differenet voices each time he appears across the series. Trap-Jaw's voice was totally different in Diamond Ray Of Disappearance as opposed to the rest of his appearances where his voice finally settled in. Tri-Klops' voice waivers during all of his appearances although not as noticeably. Hordak also had a slow, methodical voice in Secret Of The Sword but it changed to a more grainy and hoarse/rough voice for the rest of the series. Queen Marlena's voice changed drastically in at least one episode, and Dylamug's change in voice in his couple of She-Ra episodes might take the cake I'm sure there's many more to add to this as well.

I just always found it fun to point out these things even though I am a #1 fan of that cartoon as a whole. I totally love watching all the episodes and strolling down memory lane but the older I get the more these oddities stand right out at me and it re-inforces just how tight this company was on their budgets and all these small things they would do to cut corners as if the kids watching wouldn't notice lol.

hey, thanks again for the input!! Always nice chatting with someone else with similar interests in the original cartoon
    Last edited by tpi; March 28, 2020 at 05:38pm.

Filmation would save any buck if it could . This was targeted at young children . They are just kids , they won't know or care and forget the differences speech probably happened .

The Evil Lynn toy kinda looked Asian and had yellow skin . Filmation was racially sensitive to this as they did with Huntara , who was obviously a Grace Jones . Evil Lynn is pink and Huntara is purple , no lawsuits Yay

Fright zone toy is mislabeled . It is a Beast Island Playset . Hordak toy needs a steed and a lair just like Skeletor and Heman
    Fright zone is more familiar in the toons and its hordaks lair so beast island toy became fright zone toy.

Fakor is supposed to be a robot infiltrator . Filmation both saved money and got it right .

There is a father daughter relationship between Teela and Man at arms not found in the toys . Man at arms needs to seem older than Teela . Face hair is all you need for that .

Tri Klops and Trap Jaws red coloring contrasts the usually dark environmental backgrounds . Black coloring would probably look invisible .

The snake mountain came after the cartoon . The toon was just a mountain with a snake head popping out and red waterfall on the side . A poor toy translation .

Castle GraySkull toy was originally intended to be Skeletors evil lair . Teela toy was the originally intended toy version of sorceress . Zoar was an armored falcon toy .

I think part of the problem was filmation needed more girls in the toon .

Filmation was comparing HeMan to Superman . Heman had no fortress of solitude nor a disguise and Castle Grayskull was too big of a toy icon to belong to Skeletor .

The Teela toy is split into two girls . Heman gets his Clark Kent persona . Zoar and sorceress are fused as one . Castle Grayskull becomes a fortress of solitude .
    If anything Snake mountain owes its existence to Teela,s snake armour and Sorceress owes her new falcon outfit look to Zoar .
    Last edited by Lokus; March 29, 2020 at 04:08am.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Fakor is supposed to be a robot infiltrator . Filmation both saved money and got it right .
    I agree. Why Skeletor would think anyone would be fooled by a bright blue version of He-Man is beyond me.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

I knew that it was easier for Filmation to create symmetrical character designs so they could just flip the cels throughout an episode.
    Technically, they couldn't physically flip the cels over and use them again, because the back of the cel does not have the line work on it that the front side does. When you paint the cel, you paint it from the back so that the colors show through below the line work. What they would do is take the drawings that would be photocopied on to the cels and reverse those drawings. Then, once they were copied onto acetates, they would paint them from behind, only this time the character would appear to be moving in the opposite way that they did in the original series of cels.

...this is just to dispel any notion that it was as simple as flipping a pillow for them LOL. It would still take them time to make the acetates and then paint them. But it saved them the time of having to draw original movements for the characters. Once they had a pair of cells, one with He-man running towards the left and then the mirror image of him running towards the right, they could use either one depending on the needs of a shot, for the duration of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    I agree. Why Skeletor would think anyone would be fooled by a bright blue version of He-Man is beyond me.
    I forget what piece of media explained that during the creation process, Skeletor's evil infected Faker and turned him blue. That made sense to me.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I forget what piece of media explained that during the creation process, Skeletor's evil infected Faker and turned him blue. That made sense to me.
    It's as good an explanation as any, I suppose!
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

I always thought it would have been nice if a spell or something turned Faker blue at the end of the episode and he had a few more appearances on the show as a regular minion. It kind of disappointed a bit like having Stridor go free at the end of his episode instead of being used as a steed for Fisto or another character, so they never had to use him again. They seemed like opportunity misses.

Clawful I always figured was a prototype thing. The claw makes sense why it could maybe be an animation choice, but his armor differences and overall body color being totally red I think would be because of an early prototype. It isn't as extreme as Tung Lashor, but he looks almost entirely like a new character to me compared to his figure.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Filmation would save any buck if it could . This was targeted at young children . They are just kids , they won't know or care and forget the differences speech probably happened .
    There are storyboard notes where the animators take great care in some details, where they acknowledge that if in story He-Man's sword is missing, it needs to remain as such rest of the episode, kids will notice otherwise.

There is a father daughter relationship between Teela and Man at arms not found in the toys .
    It came in Texeira minicomics. So yes found in the toys before cartoon.

Castle GraySkull toy was originally intended to be Skeletors evil lair .
    No it wasn't. It was the place of power both good and evil wanted. In Grayskull boxart yes the artist was not given enough info and he personally thought it was Skeletor's place.

Teela toy was the originally intended toy version of sorceress .
    Teela was not originally intended as toy version of Sorceress. They planned for both Teela and Sorceress figures. But when Mattel was under impression that boys wouldn't buy female figures, they bumped Sorceress figure and replaced Zodac with her place. Teela the toy then was intended to have different buck underneath, where you could swap out parts to make either figure. But even those plans didn't translate into final figure, which was simply Teela figure. And it had Cobra armor. So hindsight result that "no armor it's one character, with armor its different". But no, that was not original plans.

I think part of the problem was filmation needed more girls in the toon .
    Teela, Sorceress, Evil-Lyn, Queen Marlena all came from toyline and minicomics (and DC Comics). Those core characters were not invented or added by Filmation. Sure they changed Sorceress visually to be more distinct and solidified the mother-daughter aspect that was in minicomics.

Filmation was comparing HeMan to Superman . Heman had no fortress of solitude nor a disguise and Castle Grayskull was too big of a toy icon to belong to Skeletor .
    No. See above my reply.

Also good guys got Royal Palace in minicomics and DC Comics, which translated into cartoon.
    Cartoon made Snake Mountain a prominent base for Skeletor, before that he didn't have anything. Stories show him lurking around volcanoes, barren wastelands or inside a "honeycomb mountain".

Filmation gave humongous spiked evil fortress with giant Snake head, blood falls, multiple layers, corridors filled with secrets and weapons.

Not sure where you've gotten some of this info. We have currently multiple documentaries, interviews and books where lot of proper info is available.
    Last edited by Jukka; March 30, 2020 at 01:28pm.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

you forgot to disagree over my beast island , fright zone conclusion.

Castle Grayskull toy has a revolving throne that opens a trapdoor that leads to a monster infested sticker . Are you sure only the box artist was mistaken ?
    Did you notice whose face is carved on the front of that castle ?

I spent 30 plus years of my life trying to understand my childhood confusion . I trust my basic logic over ex employee spending his last 5 mins of fame trying to make his boring job seem as rose coloured as possible in front of a camera .

Yes of course all my doodling here is just a small opinion .
    Last edited by Lokus; March 30, 2020 at 04:16pm.

you forgot to disagree over my beast island , fright zone conclusion.

Castle Grayskull toy has a revolving throne that opens a trapdoor that leads to a monster infested sticker . Are you sure only the box artist was mistaken ?
    Did you notice whose face is carved on the front of that castle ?

I spent 30 plus years of my life trying to understand my childhood confusion . I trust my basic logic over ex employee spending his last 5 mins of fame trying to make his boring job seem as rose coloured as possible in front of a camera .

Yes of course all my doodling here is just a small opinion .
    You're espousing your opinions as historical fact, and you're wrong. Your "basic logic" is faulty. No need to insult the people who created these figures just because you were called out on your ignorance.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

What insult ? Are you talking about reality ? I apologize for reminding you that this beloved franchise was Just another JOB for many people .

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    As frustrating as that may be for you, Jukka is correct.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    You are referring to Well of Souls. Which; again has proper info out there.
    It is not a mistake. Mark Taylor depicted Castle Grayskull with many ideas, that were present as stickers (it was not in budget to do tooling for them). He has talked about these ideas and concepts like Well of Souls having creatures and Monsters that were locked away. These ideas didn’t carry into minicomics or cartoon sadly. But even so; it was not about ”Grayskull is main lair for Skeletor to use”.
    But I do recommend you look into the ideas and concepts Taylor had. They are quite fascinating.

I trust my basic logic over ex employee spending his last 5 mins of fame trying to make his boring job seem as rose coloured as possible in front of a camera .
    I can assure you, based on all interviews, Panel attendancies, wealth of material he worked on and has to show even today; Mark Taylor is none of that.

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    You are referring to Well of Souls. Which; again has proper info out there.
    It is not a mistake. Mark Taylor depicted Castle Grayskull with many ideas, that were present as stickers (it was not in budget to do tooling for them). He has talked about these ideas and concepts like Well of Souls having creatures and Monsters that were locked away. These ideas didn’t carry into minicomics or cartoon sadly. But even so; it was not about ”Grayskull is main lair for Skeletor to use”.
    But I do recommend you look into the ideas and concepts Taylor had. They are quite fascinating.

I can assure you, based on all interviews, Panel attendancies, wealth of material he worked on and has to show even today; Mark Taylor is none of that.
    Yup. It was "just a job" for a lot of people, but it was Mark Taylor's passion project. Grayskull didn't belong to either faction in his idea, it was kind of the McGuffin for the story. Anyone who controlled it would have tremendous power.

https://battleramblog.com/mark-rebec...s-of-he-man-2/

Snake Mountain
    Fright Zone
    Tung Lashor
    Kobra Khan
    Clawful
    ...and likely many more

there's lot more

Filmation Snake Mountain came first, playset later.
    Fright Zone, benefits of the animation medium is that you can do much larger stuff.
    Tung Lashor's look was based on the toy concept art:

Kobra Khan's not all that different.
    Clawful was likely based on a toy concept art.

Man-At-Arms has a mustache to help convey his age. Though interestingly enough, early toy concept by Mark Taylor has facial hair too.
    Tri-Klops - Probably to make him stand out from the dark background paintings.
    Evil-Lyn - Pure yellow skin could've been seen as racism.
    Faker - Script specified him as blue, but likely kept the same colour as a cost cutting measure.
    Trap-Jaw - See Tri-Klops.
    Clawful - again, likely based on a toy concept art.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    I believe her skin was more of a yellowish tint in earlier episodes but took on a more caucasian tone as the series progressed.
    Her colour scheme was same throughout the show. What you see on the DVD's is product of faulty film transfer and remaster.

It came in Texeira minicomics. So yes found in the toys before cartoon.
    Earlier than that. The relationship was established in the 1st Superman crossover.

There are storyboard notes where the animators take great care in some details, where they acknowledge that if in story He-Man's sword is missing, it needs to remain as such rest of the episode, kids will notice otherwise.
    Last edited by Grimbot; April 5, 2020 at 09:07pm.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

:
    Agree Jukka and Grimbot
    My daughter does notice when Swiftwind hair suddenly is missing, TWICE. And when He-Man has his sword in the back when the story is that it is currently not in his possession. Also the reversed arm of Trap Jaw... Kids do notice this things.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    yeah I knew that it was easier for Filmation to create symmetrical character designs so they could just flip the cels throughout an episode. I can just imagine an animation company doing that nowadays, imagine the slack they'd get for being so lazy and cheap

honestly, I MISS the 'lazy and cheap' method. For all it's flaws of reused animation... They cranked out 66 episodes directly into syndication for the first season. Voltron Legendary defender got 78 episodes over EIGHT seasons. Netflix She-ra is on it's FIFTH season and has around 40 episodes...

Filmation cut a lot of corners... but they produced a LOT more entertainment value for their buck than 'modern' cartoons can come close to producing.

Heroic Warrior
    just to clarify again: He-Man and She-Ra by Filmation was my #1 favourite show as a kid. I was a fan of other cartoons as well but these ones will always be my #1. I purhased all the BCI DVD video sets over 10 years ago (i think BCI is the name?) and still have them on my shelf. So I'm a huge fan with (hopefully) decent knowledge on the shows. 35 years later and I still watch all of these episodes on my own and with my own kids

However it's just that my kids (who are still young) often ask me all kinds of questions, like "why is He-Man's sword still in his backpack holster when he's not supposed have it right now?" , or "hey, why is Trap-Jaw's arm on the other side?" And countless questions about all of the colouring errors (someone's foot was the wrong color in a scene, or someone's armour changed colors for a brief scene, etc)

Someone had mentioned that kids wouldn't have noticed these things but man, it sure seems like all the kid noticed all of these mistakes right away!!

And as much as I continue to love and watch the shows, I do admit to feeling a little irritated when seeing all of the shortcuts being taken or just the simple errors (or being too lazy to fix those simple errors) that were prevalent in so many episodes right through the series, thinking that kids wouldn't notice.

On the flip side though they had a lot of work to get done in a short amount of time in order to get us all those episodes quickly. So I love them for that.

I really, really hope this new cartoon that's coming out soon resembles the Filmation series.

And wow, wouldn't it be so cool if it could even feature some of the background music as well!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    just to clarify again: He-Man and She-Ra by Filmation was my #1 favourite show as a kid. I was a fan of other cartoons as well but these ones will always be my #1. I purhased all the BCI DVD video sets over 10 years ago (i think BCI is the name?) and still have them on my shelf. So I'm a huge fan with (hopefully) decent knowledge on the shows. 35 years later and I still watch all of these episodes on my own and with my own kids

However it's just that my kids (who are still young) often ask me all kinds of questions, like "why is He-Man's sword still in his backpack holster when he's not supposed have it right now?" , or "hey, why is Trap-Jaw's arm on the other side?" And countless questions about all of the colouring errors (someone's foot was the wrong color in a scene, or someone's armour changed colors for a brief scene, etc)

Someone had mentioned that kids wouldn't have noticed these things but man, it sure seems like all the kid noticed all of these mistakes right away!!

And as much as I continue to love and watch the shows, I do admit to feeling a little irritated when seeing all of the shortcuts being taken or just the simple errors (or being too lazy to fix those simple errors) that were prevalent in so many episodes right through the series, thinking that kids wouldn't notice.

On the flip side though they had a lot of work to get done in a short amount of time in order to get us all those episodes quickly. So I love them for that.

I really, really hope this new cartoon that's coming out soon resembles the Filmation series.

And wow, wouldn't it be so cool if it could even feature some of the background music as well!!!!
    It wasn't something I noticed too often with He-man... I'm sure they were there, but it's been 35 years ;P I will say i distinctly remember superfriends being terrible with coloring errors. Batman with his Yellow bat on the black oval... or Robin with his R symbol reversed. Superman getting the yellow and red on his shield backward.....

Honestly, the mistakes didn't bother me too much even then. I enjoyed pointing them out and getting a laugh. It was the 7 year olds version of a drinking game

At least, Flimation was able to keep everything in the US by taking some shortcuts and its not like animated shows that went overseas didn't have their fair share of mistakes. There were plenty of times a seeker was colored wrong or a line came out of the wrong robot's mouth in Transformers. I honestly rarely noticed errors in He-Man compared to other cartoon shows in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    At least, Flimation was able to keep everything in the US by taking some shortcuts and its not like animated shows that went overseas didn't have their fair share of mistakes. There were plenty of times a seeker was colored wrong or a line came out of the wrong robot's mouth in Transformers. I honestly rarely noticed errors in He-Man compared to other cartoon shows in the 80s.
    Thr most outrageous for me in Transformers is when Devastator face changes from one episodes to other.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    It wasn't something I noticed too often with He-man... I'm sure they were there, but it's been 35 years ;P I will say i distinctly remember superfriends being terrible with coloring errors. Batman with his Yellow bat on the black oval... or Robin with his R symbol reversed. Superman getting the yellow and red on his shield backward.....

Honestly, the mistakes didn't bother me too much even then. I enjoyed pointing them out and getting a laugh. It was the 7 year olds version of a drinking game
    And someone on a group scene suddenly went missing until the episode ends.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

The biggest thing that challenged my suspension of disbelief as a kid was not the stock sequences or occasional gaffes, but the obviously limited number of voice actors doing multiple characters.

Now, I never realized that Skeletor and Man at Arms were the same actor, but I knew that whoever was doing Man at Arms was doing a dozen other characters throughout the course of an episode. And whoever was doing Ram Man was also Webstor and Beast Man. (I didn't know it was also John Erwin, voice of He-Man).

But yes, it was a stunning feat that Filmation was able to produce that many episodes in such a short period. I was amazed later on to find out that there were only two seasons. Those 131 episodes are equivalent to 10 seasons of any non-syndicated animated series. If you count the two seasons of She-Ra as seasons three and four (as I do) and add those 93 episodes, that's like 15 seasons of a modern cartoon.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I was amazed later on to find out that there were only two seasons. Those 131 episodes are equivalent to 10 seasons of any non-syndicated animated series.
    There's only 130 MOTU Episodes.