Thread: Marvel's New Warriors

Heroic Warrior

Marvel's New Warriors

The trailer has a disparity of dislikes versus likes that I've never seen.

What are your thoughts on this trailer?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post

I'm not impressed.

I was a huge fan of the New Warriors in the 90's, and this looks like trash. They're going to shove the traditional characters in roles they aren't suited for... and pack the team full of characters I don't care about. Just from the first glance it looks like what? 10 characters in this book? WAY too many to give any of the classics any real screen time. And that was my opinion before seeing the video. Finding out the writer never even read the originals or had any kind of interest in them... does not appease my fears. if anything it just reinforces that he'll focus entirely on his own special characters and ignore the ones I want to read about. It will be New Warriors in name only. Which sadly for the Warriors is business as usual.

It's the internet. People trash things on the internet. It's what they do. From what I've read the character names Snowflake and Safespace are upsetting one of the 'sides' in the ongoing 'disagreement' between 'sides' in comic fandom.

My personal thought is - why does Marvel keep re-badging the New Warriors? The only iteration that was successful was the original group. This is the second or third time they've put together a crew of new characters and called the team New Warriors and nothing in this pitch grabs me, personally, enough to think it'll work any better.

Heroic Warrior
    I saw this video a week or two back.

Good thing I'm a DC guy.

(insert large, bolded, font of WTF here)

Trailblazer looks Dora the explorer ate a Chevy Trailblazer.

It looks bad.

It's too forced for people not to think political correctness is being shoved into the comic world.

I personally have no interest. I believe most will have no interest.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I believe most will have no interest.
    I think the like to dislike ratio supports your claim.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    My personal thought is - why does Marvel keep re-badging the New Warriors? The only iteration that was successful was the original group. This is the second or third time they've put together a crew of new characters and called the team New Warriors and nothing in this pitch grabs me, personally, enough to think it'll work any better.
    They should get the original crew back together and just call them the Old Warriors.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    It's the internet. People trash things on the internet. It's what they do. From what I've read the character names Snowflake and Safespace are upsetting one of the 'sides' in the ongoing 'disagreement' between 'sides' in comic fandom.
    From what I've seen, both 'sides' don't really care for it. IMO, it's so blatant, I can't help but think theres going to be some kind of bait and switch in the actual comic (like Thunderbolts or Deadpool 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    They should get the original crew back together and just call them the Old Warriors.
    Didn't the original crew get kind of... exploded?
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Didn't the original crew get kind of... exploded?
    By some means or other... I beleive every one of them has found their way back to life. Not sure when/how Namorita did, but I know Speedball never died, and even Night Thrasher is back to being Dwayne again.

Namorita coming back was a time travel thing, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PCWUCv1rnU&t=13s
    I am one of those dislikes. And I’ll say no more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I saw this video a week or two back.

Good thing I'm a DC guy.

(insert large, bolded, font of WTF here)

Trailblazer looks Dora the explorer ate a Chevy Trailblazer.

It looks bad.
    Yeah? I guess you haven’t seen the equally off putting Gotham High video yet? LoL

Lol on the Trailblazer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9t4KzJ0qQA

Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    From what I've seen, both 'sides' don't really care for it. IMO, it's so blatant, I can't help but think theres going to be some kind of bait and switch in the actual comic (like Thunderbolts or Deadpool 2).
    Yes, I agree both 'sides' hate it. It looks like most people do, regardless of anything else- a unifying factor, if you will. I think they may come at it from different directions, but the underlying reason is it doesn't look very good regardless of any other baggage it has.

To be fair to the Gotham High thing - it is an OGN for the middle grades book market; an alternate universe/elseworlds take, if you will, like all the other stuff in the line.

I think my favorite part is how they describe Safespace as a "stereotypical jock" then dress him from head to toe in pink. You know, like stereotypical jocks do.

Also...experimental internet gas.

άber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    It's too forced for people not to think political correctness is being shoved into the comic world.
    I think that is the point. The creators have effectively said that they are trolling people who complain about politics in comics. A metaphorical middle-finger if you will. Unfortunately, it is done so poorly that people who might agree with that sentiment do not like it either. Real galaxy brain stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I think that is the point. The creators have effectively said that they are trolling people who complain about politics in comics. A metaphorical middle-finger if you will. Unfortunately, it is done so poorly that people who might agree with that sentiment do not like it either. Real galaxy brain stuff here.
    I mean, do they expect anything but negativity for their actions? Poor sales and a loss of fans?
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Wow. That's like Star Trek Picard. Creators are now making stuff out of SPITE, knowing the show is going to anger fans.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Wow. That's like Star Trek Picard. Creators are now making stuff out of SPITE, knowing the show is going to anger fans.
    Seems like that will certainly help their money-making and reputation.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Yeah? I guess you haven’t seen the equally off putting Gotham High video yet? LoL
    At least that's a one off graphic novel. I read it, and it was awful (which is a pity, because DC's been on a roll with these graphic novels for kids; most of them are really cute and are essentially comic book comfort food). Like, it was so cringe.

But yeah, at least it isn't in continuity and probably won't get a sequel (as far as I'm aware, only the Teen Titans graphic novels are getting sequels).

Ngl, I'm really hoping we get one of these kids graphic novels for MOTU, because you could really tell a cute story about a teenage Adam first getting his powers.