Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Talespin 30th anniversary

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,373

    Talespin 30th anniversary

    Happy 30th anniversary to one of Disney's best programs and animated shows!

    Loved this since i was 9 years old taping every episode and have this on DVD.

    It has a world of furries (aka animal humanoid people) and regular feral lower animals that co-exist in a world set in 1940 or somewhere like that with Balloo and other Jungle Book characters have been anthrofied and Balloo is a pilot with a sidekick named Kit Cloudkicker as they go on adventures together even fighting Don Karnage.

    I love that unique timeless art deco quality to it as it has an Indiana Jones vibe to it at times and predates the Porco Russo movie Good writing and every boy wanted to be like Kit Cloudkicker.

    Not to mention Rebecca Cunningham was a babe and so was Kittain Kaboodle, Myra, Lotta and Katie, LOL.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,077
    Ah the Disney Afternoon. Where would a whole generation of kids have spent their time after getting home from afterschool clubs if not for you?

    Talespin was a fantastic look at turn of the century set fiction, especially with some of the inventions Baloo and company got a first hand look at the creation of. Got to admit, if you're going to reimagine characters of another property, Talespin is a great how to example. Liked their version of Shere Kahn much better than Jungle Book. (Of course well before Aiki, we know Disney was farming Baloo out to new roles themselves.)
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    727
    A great Disney animated show and one of the few that got completely released on DVD.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,752
    Honestly I never really cared for Tailspin. It was just too different from the source material. Ducktales felt like a natural extenstion of the Ducks adventures with everyone acting like themselves... Rescue Rangers felt like it was 'the next act' to what Chip and Dale were doing when they weren't terrorizing Donald and Pluto... It was 'different' but the COULD have been the same characters, just in different situations...

    Tailspin had more of a muppet thing going on. where it was a completely different world, setting, and story and Baloo and Shere Khan were just legitimate 'actors' hired to play a role. The same way Kermit the Frog is hired to play Bob Cratchett.

    Wasn't really a fan of that concept. even as a kid it had kind of 'reboot' feel of 'what you knew was old and dumb, so here's a NEW version that will be rad!"
    That said... even my least favorite Disney Afternoon show had a lot to love about it. I also always wanted to do that Cloud Surfing bit. That just looked like SOOOO MUCH FUN!!!!

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Triklops 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eternos
    Posts
    4,269
    Already yet? Now that makes me feeld old

    I used to watch this on re-runs on saturdays afternoon but my favorite still
    1st spot . Ducktales
    2nd. Darkwing Duck
    3rd. Talespin

    I also really liked the Disney's Hercules and Aladdin animated tv series,
    those were so well done for kids of all ages
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Honestly I never really cared for Tailspin. It was just too different from the source material. Ducktales felt like a natural extenstion of the Ducks adventures with everyone acting like themselves... Rescue Rangers felt like it was 'the next act' to what Chip and Dale were doing when they weren't terrorizing Donald and Pluto... It was 'different' but the COULD have been the same characters, just in different situations...

    Tailspin had more of a muppet thing going on. where it was a completely different world, setting, and story and Baloo and Shere Khan were just legitimate 'actors' hired to play a role. The same way Kermit the Frog is hired to play Bob Cratchett.

    Wasn't really a fan of that concept. even as a kid it had kind of 'reboot' feel of 'what you knew was old and dumb, so here's a NEW version that will be rad!"
    That said... even my least favorite Disney Afternoon show had a lot to love about it. I also always wanted to do that Cloud Surfing bit. That just looked like SOOOO MUCH FUN!!!!
    If I recall correctly, Rescue Rangers was originally set to star Benard and Bianca from the Rescuers movie. But when Rescuers Downunder went into production, they opted to use Chip and Dale as the stars.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    5,702
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Honestly I never really cared for Tailspin. It was just too different from the source material.
    It's definitely not my favorite DA series. It wasn't horrible but I did really enjoy some episodes. I've been binge watching all the DA series on Disney+ including Talespin and I will admit, it's not as bad as I used to think it was.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    Already yet? Now that makes me feeld old

    I used to watch this on re-runs on saturdays afternoon but my favorite still
    1st spot . Ducktales
    2nd. Darkwing Duck
    3rd. Talespin

    I also really liked the Disney's Hercules and Aladdin animated tv series,
    those were so well done for kids of all ages
    I enjoy those too even Rescue Rangers and Gargoyles.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  9. #9
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    8,355
    I wish this was on Disney+ in the UK, it is in the US. Hopefully it will be soon.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    5,702
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I wish this was on Disney+ in the UK, it is in the US. Hopefully it will be soon.
    Really? I didn't know that D+ was different for other countries. Weird.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,513
    I loved Tailspin, Gummibears and Rescue Rangers.
    Hard to place in order, but probably Gummibears 1, Rescue Rangers 2 and Tailspin 3.
    I liked Duck Tales but not as much as the others.

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I loved Tailspin, Gummibears and Rescue Rangers.
    Hard to place in order, but probably Gummibears 1, Rescue Rangers 2 and Tailspin 3.
    I liked Duck Tales but not as much as the others.
    I also like Gargoyles, Goof Troop, Mighty Ducks and Aladdin
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  13. #13
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    8,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Really? I didn't know that D+ was different for other countries. Weird.
    There's several 80s/90s cartoons that I've found aren't on D+ UK but I have US friends tell me they are on D+ US:
    Talespin
    Bonkers
    101 Dalmatians the series
    Hercules the series
    X-Men Evolution
    Wolverine and the X-Men

    I hope these all get added to D+ UK soon, especially Talespin and Bonkers.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    727
    All the animated Disney shows from the 80's/90's I like.

    Ducktales
    Gummi Bears
    Gargoyles
    Talespin
    Darkwing Duck
    Chip N' Dale's Rescue Rangers

    I also remember the Aladdin and The Little Mermaid series as well.

  15. #15
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,748
    I liked it, but I like DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears, and Gargoyles much more. It obviously ripped off the Sam and Rebecca relationship in Cheers. They didn't even bother to change the name of the female.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I also like Gargoyles, Goof Troop, Mighty Ducks and Aladdin
    Goof Troop, Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck were also good but I didn't watch them very much compared to the others.

  17. #17
    Outlaw Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    6,255
    Wow. Hard to believe it was that long ago. I actually enjoyed Talespin quite a bit, I was never that big a fan of Disney's Jungle Book series but I thought that this was fun.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

    "All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Wow. Hard to believe it was that long ago. I actually enjoyed Talespin quite a bit, I was never that big a fan of Disney's Jungle Book series but I thought that this was fun.
    I used to have two of the action figures. Baloo and Don Carnage.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,077
    Kinda glad the new Ducktales series is making an effort to include the old properties like Talespin and Rescue Rangers under a universe. Even if they're only bit players or background fluff, it's nice to see again
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  20. #20
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    20,304
    Huge fan!! I loved it and I loved Don Karnage. My friend and I wrote fan fiction before we knew what it was. I also have an animation cel w hand painted background of Baloo and Rebecca.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

    Smile like you mean it.

  21. #21
    Master of Voice Overs! JohnnyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,717
    It sure is a shame that The Wuzzles never gets any mention when it comes to the Disney Afternoon. It was very short lived, but very creative with some great voice actors.

    Oh and the theme song kicked butt!!


  22. #22
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    8,355
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    It sure is a shame that The Wuzzles never gets any mention when it comes to the Disney Afternoon. It was very short lived, but very creative with some great voice actors.

    Oh and the theme song kicked butt!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkwRzy_TLSw
    Wuzzles was a great show and hope it gets added to Disney+ soon.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •