Thread: Looking for a smile in the midst of difficult times

Master of New Adventures!

Looking for a smile in the midst of difficult times

No question but that these are difficult times. But we try to make life go on, don't we?

What are the silver lining-things you are enjoying to help get through this all?

For me it's more time spent with Kim and our children. I get the joy of making a great breakfast for everyone each morning and then sitting around the dining room table to enjoy it. 2 on 2 basketball games with my sons and daughter are a joy, and Kim and I are belatedly totally hooked on and are binge watching Sex and the City.

For my eternally plugged in President & CEO wife, working at home, as is her staff, there's a bit more of an opportunity now for her to return to her love for knitting. She's on knitting a second pair of socks now and I'll confess there's something comforting about her doing this while I sit alongside her on a quiet night, sip a Guinness and enjoy a crackling fire in the fireplace.

Simple pleasures.

How about y'all?

Dude, I'm not going to lie: this certainly isn't a vacation, but as someone who's worked jobs since high school where I'm on my feet 40 hours a week busting my butt, there's something to be said for being forced to stay home and sit on the couch reading for a change. Mostly it's been a balancing act: keeping up on the news enough to know what is going on nationally and locally, but also unplugging by taking a short walk around the neighborhood, hanging out in the backyard with coffee and a book, playing with the cat, holing up in our guest room (let's be real... it's a MOTU display room) on a couch I bought years ago but barely used until now, finally finishing the MOTU Newspaper Comic Strips book, now diving into the Character Guide book... there's a lot of this that has been... dare I say it... NICE? Aside from Roast Gooble Dinner, I've never ever been a podcast person, but I've dived into that realm too. I'll take a bike ride now and again. And about twice a week we make a run for groceries/necessities- and THAT is really where the stress kicks in. I actually feel sketched out around crowds now, but I do love that once you get into the stores- it's practically empty and you can really just zip in and zip out in no time at all and be home (no traffic!) before you know it.

There's a boatload of uncertainty- my work is shut down for who knows how much longer (it's been two weeks, so far), and I haven't had no magical government check swoop into my mailbox to alleviate my fears of not being able to make the bills coming in May... so, yes- I'm stressed and depressed about what is happening all around, but frankly it hasn't been all bad either. I think it's important for folks to just be able to take some time out to just enjoy the moment (and that's as hippy-dippy as I'll get). For better or worse, once we pull out of this- for a lot of us? It's just going to be be back to the grind again. I've been half-joking that I'm in sort of reverse-retirement mode- I am one of those folks who probably is not going to be able to retire (work 'til you drop!), so right now I'm sort of looking at this horrible situation and going "this is my time"

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Dude, I'm not going to lie: this certainly isn't a vacation, but as someone who's worked jobs since high school where I'm on my feet 40 hours a week busting my butt, there's something to be said for being forced to stay home and sit on the couch reading for a change. Mostly it's been a balancing act: keeping up on the news enough to know what is going on nationally and locally, but also unplugging by taking a short walk around the neighborhood, hanging out in the backyard with coffee and a book, playing with the cat, holing up in our guest room (let's be real... it's a MOTU display room) on a couch I bought years ago but barely used until now, finally finishing the MOTU Newspaper Comic Strips book, now diving into the Character Guide book... there's a lot of this that has been... dare I say it... NICE? Aside from Roast Gooble Dinner, I've never ever been a podcast person, but I've dived into that realm too. I'll take a bike ride now and again. And about twice a week we make a run for groceries/necessities- and THAT is really where the stress kicks in. I actually feel sketched out around crowds now, but I do love that once you get into the stores- it's practically empty and you can really just zip in and zip out in no time at all and be home (no traffic!) before you know it.

There's a boatload of uncertainty- my work is shut down for who knows how much longer (it's been two weeks, so far), and I haven't had no magical government check swoop into my mailbox to alleviate my fears of not being able to make the bills coming in May... so, yes- I'm stressed and depressed about what is happening all around, but frankly it hasn't been all bad either. I think it's important for folks to just be able to take some time out to just enjoy the moment (and that's as hippy-dippy as I'll get). For better or worse, once we pull out of this- for a lot of us? It's just going to be be back to the grind again. I've been half-joking that I'm in sort of reverse-retirement mode- I am one of those folks who probably is not going to be able to retire (work 'til you drop!), so right now I'm sort of looking at this horrible situation and going "this is my time"
    What a wonderfully balanced point of view. Healthy as can be, my friend! Bravo.

Heroic Warrior
    For me it's the fact that I've spent the last three weeks as primary caregiver for my six month old daughter. I'm exhausted. iWork from home as well and have to drop everything to deal with her and then go back to working. But I'm so fortunate that I get to do that. I've been able to enjoy watching her try new foods, been able to play with her more, even got her playing with my transformers in car form... She's not about the robots. I'm going to be doing one to two months with my daughter like this and as much as I miss people.... What dad gets this chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    What are the silver lining-things you are enjoying to help get through this all?
    For me? Getting up in the morning, and logging into my google classroom meetings with all of my students.

As I stated earlier, seeing the smiles on their faces is encouraging and therapeutic for all of us.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Because of my work as support for frontline services, work in a way has gotten busier.

But I think it's important to always try to see the good in any situation - in this case, I take comfort in the fact that I am still employed, and on the days I am allowed to work from home I can have more time with family.

With the increased restrictions in place, it also means that during my spare time I am looking to spend more time with family, as well as put more effort into learning to draw and paint.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Getting an extra 90 minutes of sleep, because I work from home, and no longer have to commute.

Looking for a smile? I've been locked down nearly a month and I have no games to play with, I mean single player games.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.