Thread: Three really sweet popcorn movies you'd recommend for these times

Master of New Adventures!

Three really sweet popcorn movies you'd recommend for these times

PLEASE no superhero films. We all know all about them. And please nothing violent. Yeah, I love the Kill Bill films and John Wick, but there's a time and a place for that.

Reach outside of your comfort zone and find something that's fun, touching and maybe even a little corny with a positive message for all of us to watch. And don't be afraid to reach back in time, for instance:

ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD -- The 1951 version

THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON

I promise you won't want your two hours back after watching any of these...

Cool topic!

Three fun movies that are touching and a little corny? OK:

READY PLAYER ONE

Transformers BUMBLEBEE

UNCLE BUCK

Reasons for my picks:

READY PLAYER ONE, the movie, is, in some ways, more uplifting that the book. I liked the book, and some of it was more logical than the movie (like how the High Five got together) but the movie had a FANTASTIC message: It's not the prize that matters, but the journey or the experience of playing the game. That applies to life: do not over-look the relationships around you when aiming for your life's goal. That and the plethora of pop culture references is like oxygen for an 80s kid like me. Oh, and it was directed by one Steven Speilberg. I think this movie gets a bad rap, but I love it so, so much. Yes, it's cheesey and cliche and predictable, but all the more reason why I love it.

Transformers BUMBLEBEE also is not as celebrated as much as it should. I know Jack said no violence, but there is not much violence after the first ten minutes and not until the final battle. At it's heart, this movie is like ET or IRON GIANT or OLD YELLER: and young person that is different and separated from other peers meets a non-human and forms a strong bond. It also takes place in the 80s and uses a LOT of 80s music which is fantastic. And as a G1 Transformer fan, the robot designs look more like their 80s cartoon versions and characterizations than the silly Michael Bay versions. Yes, it's sappy and silly, but that's why I love this movie. I also heard John Cena is in it, but I can't see him.

UNCLE BUCK is John Candy and John Hughes at the top of their game. Great, funny, and heart-warming movie.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Cool topic!

Three fun movies that are touching and a little corny? OK:

READY PLAYER ONE

Transformers BUMBLEBEE

UNCLE BUCK

Reasons for my picks:

READY PLAYER ONE, the movie, is, in some ways, more uplifting that the book. I liked the book, and some of it was more logical than the movie (like how the High Five got together) but the movie had a FANTASTIC message: It's not the prize that matters, but the journey or the experience of playing the game. That applies to life: do not over-look the relationships around you when aiming for your life's goal. That and the plethora of pop culture references is like oxygen for an 80s kid like me. Oh, and it was directed by one Steven Speilberg. I think this movie gets a bad rap, but I love it so, so much. Yes, it's cheesey and cliche and predictable, but all the more reason why I love it.

Transformers BUMBLEBEE also is not as celebrated as much as it should. I know Jack said no violence, but there is not much violence after the first ten minutes and not until the final battle. At it's heart, this movie is like ET or IRON GIANT or OLD YELLER: and young person that is different and separated from other peers meets a non-human and forms a strong bond. It also takes place in the 80s and uses a LOT of 80s music which is fantastic. And as a G1 Transformer fan, the robot designs look more like their 80s cartoon versions and characterizations than the silly Michael Bay versions. Yes, it's sappy and silly, but that's why I love this movie. I also heard John Cena is in it, but I can't see him.

UNCLE BUCK is John Candy and John Hughes at the top of their game. Great, funny, and heart-warming movie.

Thanks for your picks. Loved UNCLE BUCK and I'll put the other two on my list. That reminds me to add PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILE. And oh, oh!!! IRON GIANT! That was the very first film I watched together with my first born son, so it's very sentimental to me.

I also now recall that SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON was the first film I watched with Alex in a movie theater.

Please indulge me and let me also add BRAVE to the list. For orgers with daughters this film is a must!

At first glance I thought that said "The really sweet popcorn I'd recommend" and I was like "I'm listening...!"
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    At first glance I thought that said "The really sweet popcorn I'd recommend" and I was like "I'm listening...!"
    Had that been what I asked, the answer would be a no-brainer. Try Amish Country Baby Yellow Popcorn and you're ruined for any other popcorn.

https://amishcountrypopcorn.com/1lb-...RoC7IUQAvD_BwE

The Goonies...always a winner in our house

Onward....probably my favorite Pixar movie now

Hook...how can you not like Robin Williams spin on Peter Pan

The Mummy (1999 version)

Time Bandits

The Princess Bride

Lord of the Rings Extended edition - Hey, we got the time.

A Monster Calls - a very engaging drama, especially if you happen to have had a sick relative.

The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen - An old favorite, and very funny in my opinion.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Oscar (Stallone)

Empire of the sun

Mrs Doubtfire
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Legend of Tarzan (2016)

Time After Time (HG Wells pursuing Jack the Ripper in 1970s San Francisco)

About Time (sweet time traveler romantic dramedy)

Love this topic idea .

Batteries not included
    The invention of lying
    Big fish

Although they're all quite happy films, Each of these has at least one scene that genuinely makes me cry , I can't express how much I love them .

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davelove81; April 10, 2020 at 11:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    Love this topic idea .

Batteries not included
    The invention of lying
    Big fish

Although they're all quite happy films, Each of these has at least one scene that genuinely makes me cry , I can't express how much I love them .

My favorite kind of films! It's why I love Rudy, Rocky and The American President.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    My favorite kind of films! It's why I love Rudy, Rocky and The American President.
    I've only seen rocky , I'll definetely check the other two out though

Iíll put 3 sports films out there.

Hoosiers, Gene Hackman takes over managing a high school basketball team.

Mr Baseball, Tom Selleck plays a baseball player, gets traded to a japanese team.

Midnight Sting, James Woods and Louis Gossett Jr, scam a small town at boxing.

-When Harry Met Sally
    -The Rocketeer
    -Willow
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    I've only seen rocky , I'll definetely check the other two out though

Just have a box of Kleenex ready for the last scene. As an aside, the music during the training and game scenes are uplifting. You're gonna say, "Thank you, Jack."

The American President is, into, Michael Douglas finest film. Chemistry between him and Annette Bening is amazing. So many great moments in the film. The monologue he delivers toward the end about Democracy being tough should be inscribed on the side of the Capitol dome and as a Sticky in The Tar Swamp.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 11, 2020 at 04:29pm.

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    Airplane!

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

and the greatest movie ever committed to film: UHF

Because we could all use some laughs right now, and these movies deliver in spades.
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Heroic Warrior
    If your looking to laugh

The man who knew too little. (Bill Murray)

Multiplicity (Michael Keaton)

Better Off Dead (John Cusack)

Love these movies and always make me laugh no matter how many times I have seen them.

Trolls: World Tour

"I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Simon Birch

Wonder

The Lego Movie
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I got locked into watching the Harry Potter films all weekend.
    "...we can't defeat the most divisive President in modern American history by tearing down anybody who doesn't agree with us 100% of the time," - Pete Buttigieg