Thread: Why did TOP Toys produce the toys in the 80s?

Heroic Warrior

Why did TOP Toys produce the toys in the 80s?

Dont understand why this company produced the toys in argentina and not mattel itself ?

Can anyone explain me?

Sorry for my english

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    Dont understand why this company produced the toys in argentina and not mattel itself ?

Can anyone explain me?

Sorry for my english
    No need to apologize for your English. I'm sure you speak better English than most of us do German.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we're pleased to have you on the board, as all international orgers add a wonderful texture to he-man.org.

Heroic Warrior
    Ohh that is very nice. Thank you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post

Can anyone explain me?

Sorry for my english
    I know Mattel had a number of licensing agreements for other toy manufacturers to produce toys for foreign markets, not just top toys. Such agreements included toy companies in Mexico (Los Amos), India (LEO), and Venezuela (Rototplast). In other countries (like France) Mattel had a presence already, so they didn't contract it out. I think it was just a matter of convenience in getting the product out in markets where they were not already established.

Heroic Warrior
    Thank you leech

The Top Toys Argentina license exists for the same reason the Leo Toys license existed in India. In Argentina, a company must be owned by Argentinean nationals, and 70% of its shares must be held by Argintineans. (India, I think, was a similar percentage.)

As Mattel were basically prohibited from doing business in those countries by setting up Mattel Argentina or Mattel India, the only other option for them to sell their figures there was to license them to local manufacturers. Mattel contracted with Top Toys, who had previously done the Kenner Star Wars figures, and were of slightly better quality than the other Argentine toy manufacturers (still substandard to Mattel's own factories.)

Kenner on the other hand licensed their Super Powers line to Pacipa and PlayFul, and the quality was far inferior to the Kenner originals. Kenner could not contract with Top Toys, as they had done for Star Wars, because Top Toys had signed an exclusive contract with Mattel prohibiting them from making toys licensed from their competition.

India eventually changed their laws once they realized it was actually hurting trade, which is why there's now a Mattel India and no need to license out to companies like Leo. Argentina, however, still has this law, so North American toy manufacturers have basically abandoned that region, even though it's a significant market.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    The Top Toys Argentina license exists for the same reason the Leo Toys license existed in India. In Argentina, a company must be owned by Argentinean nationals, and 70% of its shares must be held by Argintineans. (India, I think, was a similar percentage.)

As Mattel were basically prohibited from doing business in those countries by setting up Mattel Argentina or Mattel India, the only other option for them to sell their figures there was to license them to local manufacturers. Mattel contracted with Top Toys, who had previously done the Kenner Star Wars figures, and were of slightly better quality than the other Argentine toy manufacturers (still substandard to Mattel's own factories.)

Kenner on the other hand licensed their Super Powers line to Pacipa and PlayFul, and the quality was far inferior to the Kenner originals. Kenner could not contract with Top Toys, as they had done for Star Wars, because Top Toys had signed an exclusive contract with Mattel prohibiting them from making toys licensed from their competition.

India eventually changed their laws once they realized it was actually hurting trade, which is why there's now a Mattel India and no need to license out to companies like Leo. Argentina, however, still has this law, so North American toy manufacturers have basically abandoned that region, even though it's a significant market.
    Thank you Night Stalker, I wasn't aware that there was a legal restriction behind it.

Heroic Warrior
    And when did this law change?

When did mattel Argentinien or mattel india happen?

- - - Updated - - -

Did top toys also produce vehicles or Castle grayskul?