Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think this show will have a lasting impact for MOTU?

Heroic Warrior

Do you think this show will have a lasting impact for MOTU?

What I mean by that is, do you think this show will have an effect on the fanbase and certain elements will stick in future incarnations (be it a Classics revival, future MOTU and POP media, etc.) similar to what happened with 200X.

Personally, I feel that this show's incarnations of Shadow Weaver, Catra, and maybe Entrapta will probably survive, as well as certain costumes and weapons (specifically the new Sword of Protection, She-Ra's battle armor, Horde Trooper armor, and Catra's new costume). I also hope that Shadow Weaver's costume (or at the very least the mask) survives, but there's a lot of nostalgia for the hood that's too short look.

I mean yeah, I think it will. We haven't seen a second reboot for any of the MOTU or POP properties yet - shows like My Little Pony and Thundercats have seen at least 3 incarnations now and they seem to keep what works and build on it.

Classic She-Ra can't be beaten but I've really enjoyed this incarnation - I certainly think Noelle tied a lot of the elements from the original show into a more cohesive lore - I think what she did with Horde Prime, Hordak and Imp works particularly well tying all of the previous threads of their origins and relationships together.

Similarly by tying Brightmoon's moonstone to the gem in She-Ra's sword makes sense - I hope they keep a lot of these elements.

Also dug Mara being an incarnation of She-Ra, I'd be open to that being included as canon in the larger MOTU-verse. I was never a tremendous fan of New Adventures but when I saw Mara appear in this new series I was actually thrilled to see a familiar face, I really think they elevated her character.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    What I mean by that is, do you think this show will have an effect on the fanbase and certain elements will stick in future incarnations (be it a Classics revival, future MOTU and POP media, etc.) similar to what happened with 200X.

Personally, I feel that this show's incarnations of Shadow Weaver, Catra, and maybe Entrapta will probably survive, as well as certain costumes and weapons (specifically the new Sword of Protection, She-Ra's battle armor, Horde Trooper armor, and Catra's new costume). I also hope that Shadow Weaver's costume (or at the very least the mask) survives, but there's a lot of nostalgia for the hood that's too short look.
    I think certain elements will survive, while the animation style, character designs and overall tone will change from one PoP incarnation to the next (how this show will impact actual MOTU, I don't think it will at all- unless He-Man and co. actually play a role in these final episodes somehow. It's very much it's own thing, this new She-Ra). One way that I do see this newer show having an impact on both properties going forward (and maybe this is more because of the nature of streaming in general): I don't think we'll ever see a return to stand-along episode seasons consisting of 12 or whatever unconnected stories. She-Ra and the Princesses Of Power was the first in MOTU/Pop-dom to feature an actual fulfilled story arc.
    I would expect to see that in any incarnation of either property going forward.

Other things introduced here that I think will "stick": the characters actually using their intended powers? That will be a thing from now on going forward (whereas Filmation didn't really make good - or should I say consistent- use of Glimmer's abilities). The idea of Etheria being in Despondos could stick. The relationship between Castaspella, Angella, Micah was a new element that I think works. The various kingdoms of each princess being established and represented. Hordak being an "imperfect" clone of Horde Prime is actually so much cooler than him being Horde Prime's brother, son, whatever- and so I wouldn't mind if this was kept. Shadow Weaver has had a great relationship with both Adora and Catra (and now, Glimmer) that I like this very dark maternal thing she has going on that wasn't really fleshed out in Filmation. Entrapta basically being the brainy Man-At-Arms of Etheria is very cool- while I know this was originated in Filmation (albeit in a very diet cola kind of way), they really took the ball and ran with it this time and she's basically stole the show as a result. Double Trouble should also definitely be a part of any new series (criminally left out of Filmation).

Stuff that I think will drop off (and this isn't because I didn't like these elements, it's just that they seem to be VERY specific to this version of She-Ra): all of the First Ones tech stuff. I think they'll keep the concept of First Ones, but I don't imagine the science/technology angle, She-Ra being a weapon, there having been more than one She-Ra for that matter, etc. is something that's going to be inherently "Princess Of Power" from here on out. The characters being quite so young (I think we'd go back to seeing more "adult" versions of these characters). I also think a new She-Ra series will be slightly more heteronormative in it's angle. Not because I don't think this show's inherent queerness didn't work (it does what it does extremely well and I absolutely love it), but because from a creative standpoint- I could see the next showrunners simply being "Well, we tried that. Let's go this way with it now". And I don't think it would be anything drastic or jarring- I just think it would be a return to what Filmation established: "Adora and Sea Hawk are a thing, Bow has a crush on She-Ra, etc". I'm a gay man, and I still wanted to see that sort of thing develop between these characters in Princesses Of Power because I think the dynamic would be entertaining, given how these characters are in the new show.
    I also think we would see a return of certain characters that were sidelined or left out altogether: Twiggets, Kowl, Loo-Kee, Spirit, more screen time for Swift Wind. So far we haven't seen Sweet Bee, Peekablue, or more than one second of The Star Sisters... so I'd like to see the entire cast of characters show up in another show. And, obviously I have no idea how the rights are tangled up at this moment, but I would love to see PoP and MOTU more intrinsically linked in a new series.

Thats a double edged sword question .
    Last edited by Lokus; May 6, 2020 at 07:00pm.

Other things introduced here that I think will "stick": the characters actually using their intended powers? That will be a thing from now on going forward (whereas Filmation didn't really make good - or should I say consistent- use of Glimmer's abilities). The idea of Etheria being in Despondos could stick. The relationship between Castaspella, Angella, Micah was a new element that I think works. The various kingdoms of each princess being established and represented. Hordak being an "imperfect" clone of Horde Prime is actually so much cooler than him being Horde Prime's brother, son, whatever- and so I wouldn't mind if this was kept. Shadow Weaver has had a great relationship with both Adora and Catra (and now, Glimmer) that I like this very dark maternal thing she has going on that wasn't really fleshed out in Filmation. Entrapta basically being the brainy Man-At-Arms of Etheria is very cool- while I know this was originated in Filmation (albeit in a very diet cola kind of way), they really took the ball and ran with it this time and she's basically stole the show as a result. Double Trouble should also definitely be a part of any new series (criminally left out of Filmation).
    You bring up alot of great points hear Zodak, in terms of what i think will stick as. The greatest thing about this version of She-ra is the uniting of all the Princesses of Power. Im 50/50 on the whole runestone granting them their powers and if they are united, they become a stronger force, because they only utilized 4 princess's really (Perfuma, Glimmer, Frosta, and Mermista). I mean the Power Pearl and the Moonstone did exist in the original show so it started to play into that as well as that scene with Lighthope. Attachment 122672 If they were to do this right, they should have used the first season (or two) as establishing Adora breaking away from Horde and establishing the princess alliance, all of them. Attachment 122674 They all had unique powers ,they should have showcased them and highlighted them. This show did a great job establishing powers for each of them, but there are more princesses and they should all have a hand in this as well as uniting their individual kingdoms in order to oust the horde.
    Attachment 122673 I wasnt into the imperfect clone idea, sorry it just didnt work for, i thought most of the Horde villians they used were weak (kyle ,Lohni ,Regalio), shadow weaver defecting didnt work either, just dont see here turning good anymore, she chose here side. Entrapta character was great in this, and i kinda like the wavering from side to side, plays along with the original idea for the toyline/minicomics. Double trouble i didnt like just didnt work for m, for the first time of animating this character they should have had her a a rebel spy, not a horde spy and stuck to what she originally looked like.

Stuff that I think will drop off (and this isn't because I didn't like these elements, it's just that they seem to be VERY specific to this version of She-Ra): all of the First Ones tech stuff. I think they'll keep the concept of First Ones, but I don't imagine the science/technology angle, She-Ra being a weapon, there having been more than one She-Ra for that matter, etc. is something that's going to be inherently "Princess Of Power" from here on out. The characters being quite so young (I think we'd go back to seeing more "adult" versions of these characters). I also think a new She-Ra series will be slightly more heteronormative in it's angle. Not because I don't think this show's inherent queerness didn't work (it does what it does extremely well and I absolutely love it), but because from a creative standpoint- I could see the next showrunners simply being "Well, we tried that. Let's go this way with it now". And I don't think it would be anything drastic or jarring- I just think it would be a return to what Filmation established: "Adora and Sea Hawk are a thing, Bow has a crush on She-Ra, etc". I'm a gay man, and I still wanted to see that sort of thing develop between these characters in Princesses Of Power because I think the dynamic would be entertaining, given how these characters are in the new show.
    I also think we would see a return of certain characters that were sidelined or left out altogether: Twiggets, Kowl, Loo-Kee, Spirit, more screen time for Swift Wind. So far we haven't seen Sweet Bee, Peekablue, or more than one second of The Star Sisters... so I'd like to see the entire cast of characters show up in another show. And, obviously I have no idea how the rights are tangled up at this moment, but I would love to see PoP and MOTU more intrinsically linked in a new series.
    The first ones tech and shera being a weapon and Mara being a Shera before, non of that has any meaning to me outside of this series, and doubt that has any lasting effect, to far outside what made etheria, etheria. The redesign of some characters just didn't work, and i dont mean the main character, admiral scurvey ****** me off the most, that character they showed in the show shared noting in come with that awesome character, save his name, why even bother! At least pay some homage to what to established the show you were are creating by making something recognizable of the old character.

Totally Dyslexic
    After finishing watching season 5 I donīt think a lot of what we have seen in this show will have a lasting effect on POP fans who were fans before this show and Iīm equally unsure if fans of that show will become lasting POP fans or MOTU and NA fans in general.

Catra as a lovesick lonely anti hero who is just misunderstood and rescued by true love might be romantic but has a touch of "Fan fiction" as another member on here already said.
    An artist on devianter.com called Catra fittingly the lesbian version of Inuyasha, he is a dog demon/human hybrid anime character and that anime was aimed at teenage girls.

Maybe Glimmer and Bow ending up as a pair could stick.

Micah returning to his family could be kept.

Entrapta becoming a more neutral character than full on villain could be okay-ish but than again in POP mini comic canon she had been the only ally Catra had so loosing her again would be devastating for Catras plans again.

She-Ras season 5 outfit is way better than her original outfit and is one of the best redesigns but not even that outfit is that great to be kept.
    Last edited by Niki; May 17, 2020 at 11:21am. Reason: Typos
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    After finishing watching season 5 I donīt think a lot of what we have seen in this show will have a lasting effect on POP fans who were fans before this show and Iīm equally unsure if fans of that show will become lasting POP fans or MOTU and NA fans in general.
    I'm pretty sure Inuyahsa was a shounen series.

Anyway, while I don't thin everything about this version of Catra will influence new versions. I do think the angel that she and Adora were friends, leading to their rivalry being more intense and bitter. Could end up being an angel that previous versions went with.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    One way that I do see this newer show having an impact on both properties going forward (and maybe this is more because of the nature of streaming in general): I don't think we'll ever see a return to stand-along episode seasons consisting of 12 or whatever unconnected stories. She-Ra and the Princesses Of Power was the first in MOTU/Pop-dom to feature an actual fulfilled story arc.
    I would expect to see that in any incarnation of either property going.
    You made a lot of good points, but donít want to repost your whole post and reply to all of it, so sorry if the next bit seems confrontational, but itís the only bit I disagreed with

As regards the above, I donít agree itís the first part of the property to have a fulfilled story arc. NA has several multi part stories, that had effects in the stories following it (it wasnít a full linear story, there were a lot of filmation like stories, but the last 15 or so episodes all had an impact on the net ones

Same with MYP, season 1 did seem quite standalone, yet still had the continuous story of Randor building an alliance of all kingdoms of Eternia, and the 2nd series seemed to all follow on from each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I think that the series, as a whole, is quite polarizing in the fan community.

It seems like there are people who claim this show was agenda driven, those who are original She-Ra diehards, and still more who genuinely enjoyed how this show stepped out from the shadow of the past and became it's own thing.

And therein lies my response: I think that the divide between fans and the controversy will end up being this show's lasting legacy.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Widget
    I don't think it will because it always feels like Mattel tries to market Masters of the Universe based on what they think it's pop culture legacy should have been rather than on the legacy it actually has.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I think the representations of Horde Prime, Hordak, and Imp will probably stick. As well as the Hordak-Entrapta relationship, and possibly the Bow-Glimmer relationship as well.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I think the representations of Horde Prime, Hordak, and Imp will probably stick. As well as the Hordak-Entrapta relationship, and possibly the Bow-Glimmer relationship as well.
    I agree with everything you said. Horde Prime was great in this series. I also think this concept of the Princess Alliance can be carried forward to, as this gave much needed characterization to all of the princesses that I think the original series lacked.

The lack of use of Leech, Mantenna, Modulock, and a majority of the MOTU toyline Horde members tells me there might be very different things in store for the Horde in the future when it comes to MOTU. It would not surprise me if the big bad in the next She-Ra reboot will be Catra as she was originally meant to be. I don't think the show will have a big impact on MOTU, but maybe POP to a degree. I think POP will be more diverse again in the future like this show, but maybe not so divisive of changes and less focus on shipping. I don't really see the new younger fans of this She-Ra who never watched the original sticking around unless a reboot is very similar to this one. They will move on to different new shows. They did not really support the merchandise out there, so there will be a need to try to bring more people in with a new reboot.

I wonder if future use of Hordak and The Evil Horde on the CGI Netflix He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe show (if they appear at all) will more closely mirror what 200X/MYP was trying to do with them. Set them up as an ancient force that's been trapped in Despondos - without any connection or mention of Etheria and the Princess(es) Of Power universe.

Whereas if Kevin Smith's Revelations show really IS a continuation of Filmation/classic lore, IF the Evil Horde is utilized at all, I imagine it will be the version we saw in Filmation PoP (even if they bypass mention of She-Ra and Etheria due to rights or whatever).

Hopefully the next incarnation will remember the excellent quality storyline .

Also people automatically switch off when politics is rears its ugly face . And if you really must at least try to emulate Dark Crystal and be more subtle about it .

Do you want to make a profit or not ? Good story makes money and politics loses money .

I hope not. I know this incarnation has its fans and I'm happy they enjoy it, but I haven't seen anything which has been an improvement on previous versions of She-Ra, Hordak, etc. Not the characterization, character designs, or the world building. Most of it has actually been a step backwards, with competent heroes like Bow being replaced with parodies that seem to have wandered onto Etheria from Teen Titans Go! or Steven Universe.

I personally LOVE the New She-Ra series and I am sure to love the two new MOTU series coming to Netflix (hopefully soon). I think every incarnation of these shows and characters will leave a long and lasting impact on the overall phenomenon of MOTU and POP.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I've watched to about midway through season 4, and I've generally enjoyed the show for what it is.

That being said, I honestly can't think of anything inherent to this show that warrants becoming standardized into the overall POP/She-ra lore. Something like Micah and Castaspella being siblings is interesting and fine, but that's pretty small potatoes. Other people have mentioned Hordak/Horde Prime/Imp: as I said, I haven't seen the last season and a half, but I've hated Hordak so far. Hordak's connection to Horde Prime has always kind of been a sticking point that I don't think has truly been nailed in any story as of yet. For me, the idea of him being an imperfect clone is far worse than him being a brother, son, 2nd cousin thrice removed, butler, etc.

Some people have mentioned serialized story telling and cohesiveness/consistency: I really think that has more to do with the times than anything attributable to this show. As others have pointed out, cartoons had pretty much already moved in this direction during 200x, and that was pre-streaming.

One more personal critique I have before I move onto the main and final point: I feel the new show leaned far too heavy on drama and feelings to the point that literally everything else suffered. When the main conflict of the show is more about Catra's angst than the galaxy sprawling conquering Horde army that's in your backyard and on the verge of enslaving you and effectively destroying the planet, I think something is dramatically out of balance. Sometimes this show felt like Conan the Barbarian as written by a child psychologist.

Ultimately, She-ra's greatest strength is also her greatest weakness: she is and always should be intrinsically tied to He-man. I think the true question moving forward is the only one that matters: is that connection going to remain or not? I think this show tests the absolute limits of that. I think if they pursue separating PoP from Motu further in future iterations, She-ra will almost start to be a different thing entirely. In that case, maybe some of this show's lore would stick, but they would be losing far more than they would gain.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I hope not. I know this incarnation has its fans and I'm happy they enjoy it, but I haven't seen anything which has been an improvement on previous versions of She-Ra, Hordak, etc. Not the characterization, character designs, or the world building. Most of it has actually been a step backwards, with competent heroes like Bow being replaced with parodies that seem to have wandered onto Etheria from Teen Titans Go! or Steven Universe.
    Bow is frequently nothing more than a lad in distress in the original series. The creators intentionally inverted the trope, and made him someone who trips and needs to be rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Quite agree, whilst there is still some out there going on like it's the best thing since the invention of the flushing toilet, it's becoming quite apparent that most are moving on to the next thing. The shill media is still intent on shilling, but even they are losing interest, though that's normal for them, the show is no longer current, so there's not much point in keeping the shilling going.

And you can even just look around this section of the forum, the conversations have really begun to dry up!
    Demand quality.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Quite agree, whilst there is still some out there going on like it's the best thing since the invention of the flushing toilet, it's becoming quite apparent that most are moving on to the next thing. The shill media is still intent on shilling, but even they are losing interest, though that's normal for them, the show is no longer current, so there's not much point in keeping the shilling going.

And you can even just look around this section of the forum, the conversations have really begun to dry up!
    Everything you've said is so patently untrue, as any cursory look at Twitter proves, that it merits no further comment.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior

The fandom on Twitter, Reddit, and Instagram are still surprisingly active. Sure not as active as it was back before the show ended, but the same can be said for every show that ends. You don't see anyone talk about Big Bang Theory anymore, and if I remember correctly, that was the most viewed sitcom of all time or something.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Everything you've said is so patently untrue, as any cursory look at Twitter proves, that it merits no further comment.
    I know about Twitter, I'm there quite regularly, there is some, but if you've been paying attention to everything, you can see how much it has dropped off. All that needs to happen is for a new She-Ra show to come along that's halfway decent, this one will be forgotten in a heartbeat!
    Demand quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Bow is frequently nothing more than a lad in distress in the original series. The creators intentionally inverted the trope, and made him someone who trips and needs to be rescued.
    I have to rewatched some episodes of original POP since I can't seem to remember Bow as a regular "lad in distress". He is quite a capable fighter (rebel if you may) on most episodes.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I know about Twitter, I'm there quite regularly, there is some, but if you've been paying attention to everything, you can see how much it has dropped off. All that needs to happen is for a new She-Ra show to come along that's halfway decent, this one will be forgotten in a heartbeat!
    The new She-Ra series is brilliant and will never be forgotten, especially by the fans who are loyal to the series. Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean you're right.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)