Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 155

Thread: Do you think this show will have a lasting impact for MOTU?

  1. #126
    Heroic Warrior Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,163
    When it is done well and by people who know what they are doing, then sure, progressive themes etc do help (She-Ra 1985), but here (2018) it was neither done well, or by people who knew what they were doing, so it only ended up making a mockery out of those values.

    Also, back on subject, it's clearly going end up as nothing more than a blip on the landscape, as even here, it's going really quiet in regards to the show, as there are often many many day where there are no posts, plus, most topics that do pop up on the odd occasion, almost nobody replies in them, so in comparison to the other show's forums, this one is nearly dead!
    Last edited by Zentron; October 10, 2020 at 09:27am.
    Demand quality.

  2. #127
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    When it is done well and by people who know what they are doing, then sure, progressive themes etc do help (She-Ra 1985), but here (2018) it was neither done well, or by people who knew what they were doing, so it only ended up making a mockery out of those values.

    Also, back on subject, it's clearly going end up as nothing more than a blip on the landscape, as even here, it's going really quiet in regards to the show, as there are often many many day where there are no posts, plus, most topics that do pop up on the odd occasion, almost nobody replies in them, so in comparison to the other show's forums, this one is nearly dead!
    The subreddit still seems pretty active.

  3. #128
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    6,708
    Many subreddits on many topics are still quite active. Many.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    When it is done well and by people who know what they are doing, then sure, progressive themes etc do help (She-Ra 1985), but here (2018) it was neither done well, or by people who knew what they were doing, so it only ended up making a mockery out of those values.

    Also, back on subject, it's clearly going end up as nothing more than a blip on the landscape, as even here, it's going really quiet in regards to the show, as there are often many many day where there are no posts, plus, most topics that do pop up on the odd occasion, almost nobody replies in them, so in comparison to the other show's forums, this one is nearly dead!
    How dare you be right.

  4. #129
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    835
    Strange I thought you blocked me. Or at the very least blanked me.

    Anyway whatever legacy the show has will probably mostly be with it's own fanbase, rather than with the fanbase. Much like how the bulk of Legendary Defenders fans and those who will continue to be fans into the future, weren't and likely never will be fans of the original Voltron. I foresee a similar situation with Netflix Sher-Ra.

    As I said I can still see some elements making their way into future versions, but the overall portrayal of the show.

    Of course this is Mattel, so judging by their track record it will probably be back to nothing but nostalgia bate for a good while.
    Last edited by A Dalek; October 10, 2020 at 03:35pm.

  5. #130
    Heroic Warrior Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    Strange I thought you blocked me. Or at the very least blanked me.

    Anyway whatever legacy the show has will probably mostly be with it's own fanbase, rather than with the fanbase. Much like how the bulk of Legendary Defenders fans and those who will continue to be fans into the future, weren't and likely never will be fans of the original Voltron. I foresee a similar situation with Netflix Sher-Ra.

    As I said I can still see some elements making their way into future versions, but the overall portrayal of the show.

    Of course this is Mattel, so judging by their track record it will probably be back to nothing but nostalgia bate for a good while.
    I have two peeps blocked, I don't see a third option. As for the fanbase, it's clear from the other month that the so-called 'fanbase' isn't actually there for the show, they are just there to score woke points on social media, as it took only one supposed racially charged joke to be repeated by Noelle for a sizable chunk of 'fans' to up and leave.

    I can also see them doing that, it is of course about money, one sells, the other, gets dumped into the bargain bins couple weeks after they get launched and collect dust and spiders
    Demand quality.

  6. #131
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    6,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    I have two peeps blocked, I don't see a third option. As for the fanbase, it's clear from the other month that the so-called 'fanbase' isn't actually there for the show, they are just there to score woke points on social media, as it took only one supposed racially charged joke to be repeated by Noelle for a sizable chunk of 'fans' to up and leave.

    I can also see them doing that, it is of course about money, one sells, the other, gets dumped into the bargain bins couple weeks after they get launched and collect dust and spiders
    You are going to trigger people. Stop it.

  7. #132
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    I have two peeps blocked, I don't see a third option. As for the fanbase, it's clear from the other month that the so-called 'fanbase' isn't actually there for the show, they are just there to score woke points on social media, as it took only one supposed racially charged joke to be repeated by Noelle for a sizable chunk of 'fans' to up and leave.

    I can also see them doing that, it is of course about money, one sells, the other, gets dumped into the bargain bins couple weeks after they get launched and collect dust and spiders
    I was actualy talking to Rockinhard. As for the fanbase, I've seen plenty of people who still talk about it these days. Also I think that's, pretty weak strawman to claim that no one ever genuinely liked the show and only liked it for woke/*** reasons. That's frankly very insulting to people who do like it, to dismiss there reasons or them liking it in such a manor. You can discuss the show with out talking down to the people who like it you know.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    You are going to trigger people. Stop it.
    Are you still doing this stich? I already told you that it wasn't funny quite a while ago and still isn't funny now. If you want criticise the show then criticise the show, but please cut this kind of stuff out.

    Then again given that you consistently troll an autistic person whenever you come to this section of the forum, I doubt you care.
    Last edited by A Dalek; October 11, 2020 at 06:38am.

  8. #133
    Heroic Warrior Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I was actualy talking to Rockinhard.
    Ah, I see, my error!
    Demand quality.

  9. #134
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    If pedophilia, bestiality and incest is your idea of progressive, diverse and inclusive.


    That's all I have to say to that.

    I also completely disagree with all the negative remarks. This series has been brilliant.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  10. #135
    Heroic Warrior Lokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    If pedophilia, bestiality and incest is your idea of progressive, diverse and inclusive.
    Are you serious ?

    Was feelings acted upon ? Was it consensual ? And most important do you have a web page with details on Etherian Law ?
    Last edited by Lokus; October 15, 2020 at 12:49am.

  11. #136
    Heroic Warrior Durendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,788
    The strong backlash to this show will ensure that a future reboot of POP will be more sympathetic to the original, much like how 200x was a return to form and utter repudiation of the awful NA misstep.

  12. #137
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    6,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    The strong backlash to this show will ensure that a future reboot of POP will be more sympathetic to the original, much like how 200x was a return to form and utter repudiation of the awful NA misstep.
    100 percent correct. This show was made for a particular demographic.

  13. #138
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    The strong backlash to this show will ensure that a future reboot of POP will be more sympathetic to the original, much like how 200x was a return to form and utter repudiation of the awful NA misstep.
    I don't know about that, focussing on the older demographic over the younger one is the main reason MoTU was never really able to regain it's relevence.
    Last edited by A Dalek; October 17, 2020 at 07:52pm.

  14. #139
    Heroic Warrior Durendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,788
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I don't know about that, focussing on the older demographic over the younger one is the main reason MoTU was never really able to regain it's relevence.
    With that logic, NA should have been a roaring success then.

  15. #140
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    6,550
    I actually LOVED all the mythos, including NA, MYP MOTU, the 1987 MOTU movie and Dreamworks POP. They are just as amazing as Classic MOTU and POP in their own unique way. I also look forward to Revelation and the other New MOTU series.

    Also you don't have to be part of a "particular demographic" to be awed and entranced by the series, it is made for EVERYONE.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  16. #141
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    With that logic, NA should have been a roaring success then.
    With that logic Beast Wars and Armada would have never have got a new generation of kids into Transformers and Kamen Rider Kuuga wouldn't have revitalised the Kamen Rider franchise in the early 2000's and W wouldn't have been the most successful Rider series ever. Also buy you're logic the 03 series should have been a roaring success.

    The fact is that MoTU as a franchise is pretty irrelevant today and has been so ever since it's original run ended. And a big part of the reason why is that Mattel cater more or less exclusively to niche collection of older fans and didn't even try to create the next generation of fans, until recently.

    That approach is a bad idea because if you don't try to create a new generation of fans than the franchise will die with it's original generation.

  17. #142
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    6,550
    I don't think MOTU, POP and even NA (which I am a fan of too) will "die", there will always be a way to resurrect the mythos and the fanbase for each generation as is the case with every franchise. I'm not guaranteeing the success of such a phenomenon (as much I do wish all the best), but where there is hope there is a way.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  18. #143
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,290
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    With that logic Beast Wars and Armada would have never have got a new generation of kids into Transformers and Kamen Rider Kuuga wouldn't have revitalised the Kamen Rider franchise in the early 2000's and W wouldn't have been the most successful Rider series ever. Also buy you're logic the 03 series should have been a roaring success.

    The fact is that MoTU as a franchise is pretty irrelevant today and has been so ever since it's original run ended. And a big part of the reason why is that Mattel cater more or less exclusively to niche collection of older fans and didn't even try to create the next generation of fans, until recently.

    That approach is a bad idea because if you don't try to create a new generation of fans than the franchise will die with it's original generation.
    See that's the problem if you try and bring in "New" fans by alienating the other fans THAT will kill the franchise....Sorry but I and alot of other people are not "Sheep" that like something JUST because it's there even if it's horrible...That would be weak..

  19. #144
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    With that logic Beast Wars and Armada would have never have got a new generation of kids into Transformers and Kamen Rider Kuuga wouldn't have revitalised the Kamen Rider franchise in the early 2000's and W wouldn't have been the most successful Rider series ever. Also buy you're logic the 03 series should have been a roaring success.

    The fact is that MoTU as a franchise is pretty irrelevant today and has been so ever since it's original run ended. And a big part of the reason why is that Mattel cater more or less exclusively to niche collection of older fans and didn't even try to create the next generation of fans, until recently.

    That approach is a bad idea because if you don't try to create a new generation of fans than the franchise will die with it's original generation.
    I think the bigger problem with He-Man and She-Ra is that sci-fi, fantasy barbarian genre just doesnt have the lasting appeal of Transformers etc.
    Also even with their failures Transformers, TMNT, MLP, Kamen Rider, Power Rangers etc have never been afraid to try something new but have for the most part still tried to make sure they appeal to new and original fans rather than exclude any fans.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See that's the problem if you try and bring in "New" fans by alienating the other fans THAT will kill the franchise....Sorry but I and alot of other people are not "Sheep" that like something JUST because it's there even if it's horrible...That would be weak..
    I think it is a very fine line between keeping original fans happy but also appealing to new fans.

  20. #145
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I think the bigger problem with He-Man and She-Ra is that sci-fi, fantasy barbarian genre just doesnt have the lasting appeal of Transformers etc.
    Also even with their failures Transformers, TMNT, MLP, Kamen Rider, Power Rangers etc have never been afraid to try something new but have for the most part still tried to make sure they appeal to new and original fans rather than exclude any fans.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I think it is a very fine line between keeping original fans happy but also appealing to new fans.
    I'm not saying they should abandon the old fans. But after 30 years of revolving the franchise around older fans, I don't think there is anything wrong with making a show predominantly aimed at newer fans. Besides it's not like Netlix She-Ra or the upcoming MoTU reboot have magically put a stop to the more nostalgia centric stuff the franchise does.

    As for what for Sci-fi, fantasy, barbarian genre, not having lasting appeal. I would imagine that' at least partially why Netflix She-Ra leaned away from that and more into the magical aspects of She-Ra. It will be interesting to see how the MoTU reboot handles that problem, since unlike She-Ra, He-Man dosn't quite have another genre that it can so seamlessly move from sci-fi barbarian into.

  21. #146
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I'm not saying they should abandon the old fans. But after 30 years of revolving the franchise around older fans, I don't think there is anything wrong with making a show predominantly aimed at newer fans. Besides it's not like Netlix She-Ra or the upcoming MoTU reboot have magically put a stop to the more nostalgia centric stuff the franchise does.

    As for what for Sci-fi, fantasy, barbarian genre, not having lasting appeal. I would imagine that' at least partially why Netflix She-Ra leaned away from that and more into the magical aspects of She-Ra. It will be interesting to see how the MoTU reboot handles that problem, since unlike She-Ra, He-Man dosn't quite have another genre that it can so seamlessly move from sci-fi barbarian into.
    The scifi barbarian genre can still work if done correctly and the writer's know what audience they are targeting and marketing to.
    Last edited by Mark M; October 18, 2020 at 10:46pm.

  22. #147
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See that's the problem if you try and bring in "New" fans by alienating the other fans THAT will kill the franchise....Sorry but I and alot of other people are not "Sheep" that like something JUST because it's there even if it's horrible...That would be weak..
    Just because someone loves every part of a particular franchise, it doesn't mean they are "sheep", it just means they are passionate which is not a negative thing.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  23. #148
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Just because someone loves every part of a particular franchise, it doesn't mean they are "sheep", it just means they are passionate which is not a negative thing.
    No it really doesn't ALOT of people let's say love He-Man but HATED the New Adventures and they are fans that love everything but that's not realistic...Fans don't have to "love" everything just because it's out there...that you will have to let people have a CHOICE..

  24. #149
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    No it really doesn't ALOT of people let's say love He-Man but HATED the New Adventures and they are fans that love everything but that's not realistic...Fans don't have to "love" everything just because it's out there...that you will have to let people have a CHOICE..
    What you describe is in fact the opposite of loving everything (which means being open-minded, open-hearted and being unconditional). I choose to love every part of the franchises I am a fan of, there is always something good and positive in everything.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  25. #150
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    What you describe is in fact the opposite of loving everything (which means being open-minded, open-hearted and being unconditional). I choose to love every part of the franchises I am a fan of, there is always something good and positive in everything.
    That's YOU and you can't get mad if someone thinks the opposite of you (God Forbid)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •