Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think this show will have a lasting impact for MOTU?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Heroic Warrior

Do you think this show will have a lasting impact for MOTU?

What I mean by that is, do you think this show will have an effect on the fanbase and certain elements will stick in future incarnations (be it a Classics revival, future MOTU and POP media, etc.) similar to what happened with 200X.

Personally, I feel that this show's incarnations of Shadow Weaver, Catra, and maybe Entrapta will probably survive, as well as certain costumes and weapons (specifically the new Sword of Protection, She-Ra's battle armor, Horde Trooper armor, and Catra's new costume). I also hope that Shadow Weaver's costume (or at the very least the mask) survives, but there's a lot of nostalgia for the hood that's too short look.

I mean yeah, I think it will. We haven't seen a second reboot for any of the MOTU or POP properties yet - shows like My Little Pony and Thundercats have seen at least 3 incarnations now and they seem to keep what works and build on it.

Classic She-Ra can't be beaten but I've really enjoyed this incarnation - I certainly think Noelle tied a lot of the elements from the original show into a more cohesive lore - I think what she did with Horde Prime, Hordak and Imp works particularly well tying all of the previous threads of their origins and relationships together.

Similarly by tying Brightmoon's moonstone to the gem in She-Ra's sword makes sense - I hope they keep a lot of these elements.

Also dug Mara being an incarnation of She-Ra, I'd be open to that being included as canon in the larger MOTU-verse. I was never a tremendous fan of New Adventures but when I saw Mara appear in this new series I was actually thrilled to see a familiar face, I really think they elevated her character.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    What I mean by that is, do you think this show will have an effect on the fanbase and certain elements will stick in future incarnations (be it a Classics revival, future MOTU and POP media, etc.) similar to what happened with 200X.

Personally, I feel that this show's incarnations of Shadow Weaver, Catra, and maybe Entrapta will probably survive, as well as certain costumes and weapons (specifically the new Sword of Protection, She-Ra's battle armor, Horde Trooper armor, and Catra's new costume). I also hope that Shadow Weaver's costume (or at the very least the mask) survives, but there's a lot of nostalgia for the hood that's too short look.
    I think certain elements will survive, while the animation style, character designs and overall tone will change from one PoP incarnation to the next (how this show will impact actual MOTU, I don't think it will at all- unless He-Man and co. actually play a role in these final episodes somehow. It's very much it's own thing, this new She-Ra). One way that I do see this newer show having an impact on both properties going forward (and maybe this is more because of the nature of streaming in general): I don't think we'll ever see a return to stand-along episode seasons consisting of 12 or whatever unconnected stories. She-Ra and the Princesses Of Power was the first in MOTU/Pop-dom to feature an actual fulfilled story arc.
    I would expect to see that in any incarnation of either property going forward.

Other things introduced here that I think will "stick": the characters actually using their intended powers? That will be a thing from now on going forward (whereas Filmation didn't really make good - or should I say consistent- use of Glimmer's abilities). The idea of Etheria being in Despondos could stick. The relationship between Castaspella, Angella, Micah was a new element that I think works. The various kingdoms of each princess being established and represented. Hordak being an "imperfect" clone of Horde Prime is actually so much cooler than him being Horde Prime's brother, son, whatever- and so I wouldn't mind if this was kept. Shadow Weaver has had a great relationship with both Adora and Catra (and now, Glimmer) that I like this very dark maternal thing she has going on that wasn't really fleshed out in Filmation. Entrapta basically being the brainy Man-At-Arms of Etheria is very cool- while I know this was originated in Filmation (albeit in a very diet cola kind of way), they really took the ball and ran with it this time and she's basically stole the show as a result. Double Trouble should also definitely be a part of any new series (criminally left out of Filmation).

Stuff that I think will drop off (and this isn't because I didn't like these elements, it's just that they seem to be VERY specific to this version of She-Ra): all of the First Ones tech stuff. I think they'll keep the concept of First Ones, but I don't imagine the science/technology angle, She-Ra being a weapon, there having been more than one She-Ra for that matter, etc. is something that's going to be inherently "Princess Of Power" from here on out. The characters being quite so young (I think we'd go back to seeing more "adult" versions of these characters). I also think a new She-Ra series will be slightly more heteronormative in it's angle. Not because I don't think this show's inherent queerness didn't work (it does what it does extremely well and I absolutely love it), but because from a creative standpoint- I could see the next showrunners simply being "Well, we tried that. Let's go this way with it now". And I don't think it would be anything drastic or jarring- I just think it would be a return to what Filmation established: "Adora and Sea Hawk are a thing, Bow has a crush on She-Ra, etc". I'm a gay man, and I still wanted to see that sort of thing develop between these characters in Princesses Of Power because I think the dynamic would be entertaining, given how these characters are in the new show.
    I also think we would see a return of certain characters that were sidelined or left out altogether: Twiggets, Kowl, Loo-Kee, Spirit, more screen time for Swift Wind. So far we haven't seen Sweet Bee, Peekablue, or more than one second of The Star Sisters... so I'd like to see the entire cast of characters show up in another show. And, obviously I have no idea how the rights are tangled up at this moment, but I would love to see PoP and MOTU more intrinsically linked in a new series.

Thats a double edged sword question .
    Last edited by Lokus; May 6, 2020 at 07:00pm.

Other things introduced here that I think will "stick": the characters actually using their intended powers? That will be a thing from now on going forward (whereas Filmation didn't really make good - or should I say consistent- use of Glimmer's abilities). The idea of Etheria being in Despondos could stick. The relationship between Castaspella, Angella, Micah was a new element that I think works. The various kingdoms of each princess being established and represented. Hordak being an "imperfect" clone of Horde Prime is actually so much cooler than him being Horde Prime's brother, son, whatever- and so I wouldn't mind if this was kept. Shadow Weaver has had a great relationship with both Adora and Catra (and now, Glimmer) that I like this very dark maternal thing she has going on that wasn't really fleshed out in Filmation. Entrapta basically being the brainy Man-At-Arms of Etheria is very cool- while I know this was originated in Filmation (albeit in a very diet cola kind of way), they really took the ball and ran with it this time and she's basically stole the show as a result. Double Trouble should also definitely be a part of any new series (criminally left out of Filmation).
    You bring up alot of great points hear Zodak, in terms of what i think will stick as. The greatest thing about this version of She-ra is the uniting of all the Princesses of Power. Im 50/50 on the whole runestone granting them their powers and if they are united, they become a stronger force, because they only utilized 4 princess's really (Perfuma, Glimmer, Frosta, and Mermista). I mean the Power Pearl and the Moonstone did exist in the original show so it started to play into that as well as that scene with Lighthope. Attachment 122672 If they were to do this right, they should have used the first season (or two) as establishing Adora breaking away from Horde and establishing the princess alliance, all of them. Attachment 122674 They all had unique powers ,they should have showcased them and highlighted them. This show did a great job establishing powers for each of them, but there are more princesses and they should all have a hand in this as well as uniting their individual kingdoms in order to oust the horde.
    Attachment 122673 I wasnt into the imperfect clone idea, sorry it just didnt work for, i thought most of the Horde villians they used were weak (kyle ,Lohni ,Regalio), shadow weaver defecting didnt work either, just dont see here turning good anymore, she chose here side. Entrapta character was great in this, and i kinda like the wavering from side to side, plays along with the original idea for the toyline/minicomics. Double trouble i didnt like just didnt work for m, for the first time of animating this character they should have had her a a rebel spy, not a horde spy and stuck to what she originally looked like.

Stuff that I think will drop off (and this isn't because I didn't like these elements, it's just that they seem to be VERY specific to this version of She-Ra): all of the First Ones tech stuff. I think they'll keep the concept of First Ones, but I don't imagine the science/technology angle, She-Ra being a weapon, there having been more than one She-Ra for that matter, etc. is something that's going to be inherently "Princess Of Power" from here on out. The characters being quite so young (I think we'd go back to seeing more "adult" versions of these characters). I also think a new She-Ra series will be slightly more heteronormative in it's angle. Not because I don't think this show's inherent queerness didn't work (it does what it does extremely well and I absolutely love it), but because from a creative standpoint- I could see the next showrunners simply being "Well, we tried that. Let's go this way with it now". And I don't think it would be anything drastic or jarring- I just think it would be a return to what Filmation established: "Adora and Sea Hawk are a thing, Bow has a crush on She-Ra, etc". I'm a gay man, and I still wanted to see that sort of thing develop between these characters in Princesses Of Power because I think the dynamic would be entertaining, given how these characters are in the new show.
    I also think we would see a return of certain characters that were sidelined or left out altogether: Twiggets, Kowl, Loo-Kee, Spirit, more screen time for Swift Wind. So far we haven't seen Sweet Bee, Peekablue, or more than one second of The Star Sisters... so I'd like to see the entire cast of characters show up in another show. And, obviously I have no idea how the rights are tangled up at this moment, but I would love to see PoP and MOTU more intrinsically linked in a new series.
    The first ones tech and shera being a weapon and Mara being a Shera before, non of that has any meaning to me outside of this series, and doubt that has any lasting effect, to far outside what made etheria, etheria. The redesign of some characters just didn't work, and i dont mean the main character, admiral scurvey ****** me off the most, that character they showed in the show shared noting in come with that awesome character, save his name, why even bother! At least pay some homage to what to established the show you were are creating by making something recognizable of the old character.

Totally Dyslexic
    After finishing watching season 5 I donīt think a lot of what we have seen in this show will have a lasting effect on POP fans who were fans before this show and Iīm equally unsure if fans of that show will become lasting POP fans or MOTU and NA fans in general.

Catra as a lovesick lonely anti hero who is just misunderstood and rescued by true love might be romantic but has a touch of "Fan fiction" as another member on here already said.
    An artist on devianter.com called Catra fittingly the lesbian version of Inuyasha, he is a dog demon/human hybrid anime character and that anime was aimed at teenage girls.

Maybe Glimmer and Bow ending up as a pair could stick.

Micah returning to his family could be kept.

Entrapta becoming a more neutral character than full on villain could be okay-ish but than again in POP mini comic canon she had been the only ally Catra had so loosing her again would be devastating for Catras plans again.

She-Ras season 5 outfit is way better than her original outfit and is one of the best redesigns but not even that outfit is that great to be kept.
    Last edited by Niki; May 17, 2020 at 11:21am. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    After finishing watching season 5 I donīt think a lot of what we have seen in this show will have a lasting effect on POP fans who were fans before this show and Iīm equally unsure if fans of that show will become lasting POP fans or MOTU and NA fans in general.
    I'm pretty sure Inuyahsa was a shounen series.

Anyway, while I don't thin everything about this version of Catra will influence new versions. I do think the angel that she and Adora were friends, leading to their rivalry being more intense and bitter. Could end up being an angel that previous versions went with.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    One way that I do see this newer show having an impact on both properties going forward (and maybe this is more because of the nature of streaming in general): I don't think we'll ever see a return to stand-along episode seasons consisting of 12 or whatever unconnected stories. She-Ra and the Princesses Of Power was the first in MOTU/Pop-dom to feature an actual fulfilled story arc.
    I would expect to see that in any incarnation of either property going.
    You made a lot of good points, but donít want to repost your whole post and reply to all of it, so sorry if the next bit seems confrontational, but itís the only bit I disagreed with

As regards the above, I donít agree itís the first part of the property to have a fulfilled story arc. NA has several multi part stories, that had effects in the stories following it (it wasnít a full linear story, there were a lot of filmation like stories, but the last 15 or so episodes all had an impact on the net ones

Same with MYP, season 1 did seem quite standalone, yet still had the continuous story of Randor building an alliance of all kingdoms of Eternia, and the 2nd series seemed to all follow on from each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I think that the series, as a whole, is quite polarizing in the fan community.

It seems like there are people who claim this show was agenda driven, those who are original She-Ra diehards, and still more who genuinely enjoyed how this show stepped out from the shadow of the past and became it's own thing.

And therein lies my response: I think that the divide between fans and the controversy will end up being this show's lasting legacy.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Widget
    I don't think it will because it always feels like Mattel tries to market Masters of the Universe based on what they think it's pop culture legacy should have been rather than on the legacy it actually has.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I think the representations of Horde Prime, Hordak, and Imp will probably stick. As well as the Hordak-Entrapta relationship, and possibly the Bow-Glimmer relationship as well.

No, it won't. It was barely mentioned this past weekend at Power Con and Mattel is not launching any toys for now even though it has already ended.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    No, it won't. It was barely mentioned this past weekend at Power Con and Mattel is not launching any toys for now even though it has already ended.
    Mattel never really cared about this version of She-Ra. They have very, very little to do with it. Mentioned it only in passing or a few times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    Plus the cast and crew of the Netflix show are hardly authorities on the Filmation original. In fact, it's a lot more like them to be disrespectful and dismissive of the original show, so their shallow and unfounded criticism here is hardly a surprise.
    Their dismissal and disrespect of the original series, and the "fans" who got behind this motion, was/is disgusting. Melendy Britt herself spoke on this.

On topic. Everything has an impact. Netflix She-Ra might have to some and none to others.

But a "lasting" impact? I doubt it, if we look at the very little attention this thread has, it has very little.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    On topic. Everything has an impact. Netflix She-Ra might have to some and none to others.

But a "lasting" impact? I doubt it, if we look at the very little attention this thread has, it has very little.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    I think that depends on what you define as Impact. For example Transformers Animated portrayed Ratchet as a grumpy old man similar to Kup and series that came after that (Transformers Prime) also went with that kind of depiction of him. This rolled back around to IDW's comics that were more G1 inspired. While they maintained Ratchet's affable personality from G1, the idea of him being an old guy who had seen it all got incorporated into his character and ever since then it has pretty much become a recurring trait in Ratchet's portrayals from then on.

So while not necessarily their overall characterisation, I certainly see certain aspects being incorporated into future versions, in similar vain to the example I just gave. Even ones that are predominantly based on the Filmation version.

Also Netflix She-Ra leaned a bit more into the magical girl, aspect of She-Ra, so depending how far things go, I could actualy see a future show (more specifically one aimed at a current audience rather than fans of the original), going even further with those aspects.

Whew, these 10 pages were a wild ride to read.

I forgot what the original question was...

... ah, there we are.

As a fan of the 200X and SPOP design and story changes, I hope so. We will just have to wait and see what the future creators the license holders choose will do.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post
    Whew, these 10 pages were a wild ride to read.

I forgot what the original question was...

... ah, there we are.

As a fan of the 200X and SPOP design and story changes, I hope so. We will just have to wait and see what the future creators the license holders choose will do.
    I absolutely agree with you and welcome to the SPOP family!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I absolutely agree with you and welcome to the SPOP family!
    Thank you!

I'm not sure, but it's really hard to compare the 2018 show with the rest of the franchise as a whole. At least it was my understanding that this version of She-Ra had very little to do with the original. It was She-Ra in name only. I did like Catra a lot better in this version for the most part than I did in the original. To me (And I'm trying to throw shade at Melandy Britt who I believe was the original voice actress for both She-Ra/Adora and Catra.) the original Catra's voice sounded more like the classic versions of Catwoman, at least to me. I found that kind of annoying after a while, but I do think that her using her mask to turn into a panther is cool though, they should've kept that for the remake. But instead of possibly using the mask, whatever Catra's species is, it allows to shape shift into a feral cat form. That would've been cool. Didn't really dig the Melog character. I know she was a completely character in the original, but I don't know much more than that. But I think Mattel is going to focus more on Classic She-Ra because the fans like that and it sells, and they didn't really care for the Noelle Stevenson version. The 2018 show left a bad taste in a lot of their mouths because of how much they changed the show, and how they were treated when they tried telling DreamWorks that this wasn't She-Ra to them. I won't go into too much detail, but it got pretty bad from what I've heard. Me, personally I liked it, but as it's own thing, not really because it's a reboot. Compared to the 2002 Masters of the Universe show, it's not very good. Very inconsistent with it's world, focused way too much on the "shipping", especially towards the end. And it felt very silly and juvenile, it was hard to believe that they were actually fighting a war, unlike the original. Personally, I didn't really care for Adora because they didn't really do anything with her. I kept waiting for answers and I got bored. Even if she wasn't going to be Adam's sister I wanted to learn more about where she came from, who where First Ones (I was pretty sure they were the Eterinians, but they never said.) Not to mention, the original Adora was a competent solider and leader. In the remake she's kind of a klutzy buffoon that was competent in some things, but very incompetent in other things. I much preferred her predecessor Mara, because she had more personality, and was better fleshed out, even though she was hardly even in the show. And she had real potential. A lot of other 2018 fans want a follow up movie of what happens after Season 5 and how Catradora will work as a couple, I want a prequel series that tells Mara's story and what her life was like when she was She-Ra. Who the First One's were. What was their conflict with Horde Prime, etc, etc, but that's me.

It's weird, I don't really think of this show as having changed much. It hit all the nostalgia points for me. Sure characterization is different but a lot of the OG characterisation was really one note, and even that note wasn't consistent throughout. A lot of what Noelle incorporated is mentioned in the original show and support media; like the Brightmoon Moonstone, Catra being the primary antagonist (as featured in a lot of the books) until Hordak was brought on board, the names of places. I thought all in all it took everything I loved about the original franchises and wove it into a cohesive story. I think a lot of the fans didn't dig the overt gayness of it, possibly reading it as being 'not targeted at them'. I love the idea of a prequel miniseries or Movie exploring Mara, the possible Primus connections, where the word Grayskull originates, who the First Ones were etc. I think it could be fun.

Oh yeah, I forgot Mara was part of the New Adventures of He-Man show. I watched that a long time ago, but I didn't terribly care for it. It didn't feel like He-Man to me, so I stuck with the original or 2002 series. In terms of the show being very LBGTQ+ inclusive, I didn't really care about that. The only issue I had with Catradora was that it just seemed very unstable to toxic. I mean I know originally Adora had a thing going on with Sea Hawk, but since the reboot is a very different interpretation, and I didn't watch the original much until the reboot ended, I didn't really say anything. That and I didn't really feel that Catra's redemption arc was terribly believable. It had good ideas, but in the end, it just wasn't executed very well on-screen. Personally I would've liked to see more screen time with Glimmer and Bow with them developing romantic feelings of each other, but it didn't happen very much.

Oh and a quick question, do you think Adam/He-Man should've made a guest appearance when the show still aired considering how different the 2018 lore is from the Classic?

I would say the issue with Catra's redemption is that as Tv Tropes would put it, she had arguably, already crossed the moral event horizon and been beyond actualy deserving to be redeemed.

Good point. I mean she's tried killing Adora and her friends since the beginning, (Which considering Adora left Catra high and dry to hang out with Bow and Glimmer who she didn't know for very long, I wouldn't terribly blame her to an extent.), and then when she found out Shadow Weaver manipulated her yet again, and left for Bright Moon, I think that's when she began losing her sanity. I mean she did almost delete reality because if she couldn't have Adora, no one could, which costed Queen Angella to unfortunately be stuck between dimensions after she pulled the Sword out for eternity, if it didn't kill her. Then everything Catra did in Season 4, yeah, as much as I hate to say it since I do prefer this version of her over the original, she was probably beyond help. Adora gave her chance, after chance, after chance, but Catra basically blew her off. You can't help people who don't want to help themselves. I mean she didn't even apologize for everything she's done or face any kind of repercussions.

There's also the fact that no matter how sympathetic or tragic ones backstory is, it can only go so far to excuse being a terrible person. For example there's a character called Cinder from a series called RWBY.

Cinder does have a pretty horrible and traumatic past and one can view her in a somewhat tragic light. But none of that changes the fact she is an utterly vile person and the show makes that very clear. And none of that really makes her any less hateable.

Catra for the bulk of She-Ra is a terrible person, not as bad as Cinder mind you but still beyond the point were her backstory makes her not a terrible person. It probably dosn't help that outside of the one moment of her saving Glimmer their isn't much dwelling on her feeling repentant or dealing with the guilt of what she did.

I don't totally hate Catra's redemption of the things done with her after it, because it at least fit the themes of the show and their was some good stuff in their, but it has it's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Moon View Post
    It's weird, I don't really think of this show as having changed much. It hit all the nostalgia points for me. Sure characterization is different but a lot of the OG characterisation was really one note, and even that note wasn't consistent throughout. A lot of what Noelle incorporated is mentioned in the original show and support media; like the Brightmoon Moonstone, Catra being the primary antagonist (as featured in a lot of the books) until Hordak was brought on board, the names of places. I thought all in all it took everything I loved about the original franchises and wove it into a cohesive story. I think a lot of the fans didn't dig the overt gayness of it, possibly reading it as being 'not targeted at them'. I love the idea of a prequel miniseries or Movie exploring Mara, the possible Primus connections, where the word Grayskull originates, who the First Ones were etc. I think it could be fun.
    Agreed. I admit, I don't have any nostalgia invested in the old POP series. What I know of She-Ra and crew was whenever they crossed over to MOTU or the toys my neighbor had. After seeing the reboot, I read the mini comics and... I wasn't a fan. The reboot took all the concepts and characters and improved it all into something more cohesive and interesting IMHO. I was also a big fan of how the reboot made the characters visually interesting and recognizable by silhouette alone. The old versions were pretty much the same body cut and pasted with different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Deltavax View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot Mara was part of the New Adventures of He-Man show. I watched that a long time ago, but I didn't terribly care for it. It didn't feel like He-Man to me, so I stuck with the original or 2002 series.
    Yeah, I couldn't get into New Adventures either. I tried a few episodes and had a few of the figures... I wasn't a fan. After watching the POP reboot and diving back into the MOTU lore overall, I discovered the Mara New Adventures connection. That was a pretty cool easter egg.

I plan to revisit the old Filmation stuff for the first time in decades to see what I think of it all. Maybe I can gain a new appreciation.
    Tweeterhead 1/5 Legends Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow