Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Do you think this show will have a lasting impact for MOTU?

Like Cosmic, in response to the original question, No.
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Just saying hi to this thread to chime in about the original question- I do think that *some* aspects of it will show up in future incarnations. Maybe Depending what those incarnations will be.

But PsoP gave us a lot more characterization, some back stories, new alliances and of course, relationships, where the original series didnít showcase and elaborate some of the characters. Plus some interesting variations on the designs!
    Itís such wealth of material, and some of it is more ďmodernĒ, I can totally see how it would become part of future lore.

I for my part really enjoyed the show.
    For my taste, the designs could have used a bit of... weight? Chunkiness? I dunno... And the Fright Zone could have been more unique and scarier. But the series looked very... Now! Thatís what counts.

And I loved the writing and characterization, the progress of the seasons... Adventure series that have a good sense of humor really strike a chord with me. The characters flowed natural, worked so well with the voice acting.

Most importantly, it had love. So much love, towards it characters, and love pretty much saved the universe. Couldnít be happier about that outcome.
    I absolutely agree with you Cosmic!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    And the Fright Zone could have been more unique and scarier....
    I agree with this. I also think the series designs could have been a bit more fantasy looking instead of so tech/sci-fi.

In the original question, probably not. The only character that I would like to see carry on in future MOTU projects, would be Catra. The only reason why I say that, is because she was the most developed character in the reboot other than the fact I don't agree with her redemption arc and how it handled. Pretty much everyone else should stay as their more classic counterparts, and Princesses of Power should just stay as its own one-and-done series. I would like to see a Mara prequel series, and perhaps a continuation if it's done right, but I'm more interested in what Netflix is doing with He-Man. Though I still have my concerns on Revelation, I'm still kind of excited to see it.

Heroic Warrior Horde Cadet Kyle's Avatar
    I really think it will. Despite what some toxic people say, the show is very popular. It won multiple awards, and I feel the relationships and characterizations will carry over into new media.

She Ra has a whole new generation of fans. I'm not sure how anybody could be against that. But for some, it's easy to find fault.

Will She Ra change further in the future? I have no doubt. What's important is the conflict, and the characters. But I know it will always move forward, not back.

Heroic Warrior
    I thought the show did a great job developing some of the lesser known characters, like Spinerella and Netossa. I also loved that it had a complete story arc from start to finish. I hope all future animated incarnations of both He-Man and She-Ra will follow those tactics. I think Netflix (or another streaming service) gives them a better environment to do that.

I agree that I hope for a complete story arc. From everything I've seen, that was the intent of the 2002 MYP series (my favorite version of ANYTHING HE-Man). However that's not always possible. Maybe one day we'll get lucky and get a real finale for the MYP series. I'm not holding my breath, but if Silent Bob can make a finale for Filmation, anything is theoretically possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Horde Cadet Kyle View Post
    I really think it will. Despite what some toxic people say, the show is very popular. It won multiple awards, and I feel the relationships and characterizations will carry over into new media.

She Ra has a whole new generation of fans. I'm not sure how anybody could be against that. But for some, it's easy to find fault.

Will She Ra change further in the future? I have no doubt. What's important is the conflict, and the characters. But I know it will always move forward, not back.
    I absolutely agree with you Horde Cadet Kyle, it's always awesome and amazing to meet new positive and forward-thinking people!

Here's the way I look at MOTU continuity: There are no fewer than TEN established continuities (and likely even more than that). You pick what you like, ignore what you don't and use your imagination to fill in the gaps.

It's like old oral stories of heroic myth. The details changed in the retellings, but the characters, and their amazing deeds are what resonate. So, some details change in the retelling. Like the version you like, and let others do likewise.

Here's the way I look at MOTU continuity: There are no fewer than TEN established continuities (and likely even more than that). You pick what you like, ignore what you don't and use your imagination to fill in the gaps.

It's like old oral stories of heroic myth. The details changed in the retellings, but the characters, and their amazing deeds are what resonate. So, some details change in the retelling. Like the version you like, and let others do likewise.
    I agree with you, even though I LOVE all things MOTU/POP/NA.

I do too. It is a rich tapestry, and there's room for all the different versions. I like some more than others, and I like a mishmash of different canons to form my own, but in the end, it's all fun.

Heroic Warrior
    I have a feeling it's a licensing/legal question more than anything else. I am not a lawyer, but my instincts tell me it's more expensive to use the DreamWorks She-Ra than the Classic one. Also, due to nostalgia, I can imagine third parties playing it safe (with sales) with the Classic design and storyline (see the Little Golden Book).

As for what ought to be carried from Dreamworks, I felt it was Hordak's best version, same with Catra and other villains, and the princesses were much more connected and had more distinct (or at least memorable) personalities than Classic She-Ra. The world-building, storyarcs, and character arcs were clearly planned out and storyboarded.

People can argue over the diversity, target audience, voice acting, "canon changes", or animation style, but they tend to be blind to things which were better.

yeah I know I'm late but I have started to binge watching the Netflix She-ra I only saw short clips, trailers and not a complete episode Well I can definately say that I'm starting to like this retelling of Etheria and the Horde, in particular I'm watching it by envisioning in my mind as if it was there the OG she-ra filmation characters pretending to live those stories that could work and fit within the POP mithology we already know and exist, I even liked the new redesign om Madame Razz but not sure why Kowl is not talking this time, or not? maybe later on? I'm just at season 1 right now

anyway my idea is ok I see their target demographic and like what they wanted to achieve with this show but now give me a darker and more serious take of the Adora's journey especially her past dramatic days as Despara in the Horde where she made terrible actions (I guess), that could be very interesting to tell in new media plus the Horde is cool and creepy, it would be fascinating to discover origin stories for Mantenna, Grizzlor, Leech, Modulok and many more to explore we never had the chance to get to know.

SPOP IS NOT ENOUGH for me, I want more from She-ra but in a PG 13 tv series, in other words just find a way to introduce Etheria and the Horde in REVELATION! such a bummer we never got to see the unproduced 3rd season from the MYP series which was supposely meant to introduce more stories about Hordak and the Horde Empire!!!

"The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

If you're trying to fit SPOP into the same continuity as the Filmation series, you WILL fail. They are totally different beasts, they follow different rules, different stories and have different sensibilities. Don't expect to see He-Man or Skeletor show up in this one. Or Leech or Mantenna, for that matter. Grizzlor makes a couple of cameos, but I don't think he's ever mentioned by name. I think there's something about tied up rights or something.

I will say that even without the He-Man connection I think SPOP is much better than the Filmation She-Ra. It's better written, better animated, better voice-acted and overall with better, more strongly characterized characters. I can see how it wouldn't appeal to hardcore MOTU fans, especially not those who think the Filmation cartoon was too soft and the heroes should just be more ruthless and kill off a few bad guys already... but for a filthy casual like me, SPOP was some of the most fun I've had with the franchise!
    Last edited by Dina M; June 28, 2021 at 03:15am. Reason: Typos!
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

Ok, Thank you so I'll keep in mind about your suggestions for season 2,3 etc

"The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

I love Classic POP as well as the Netflix series, and I would also love a new She-Ra series in the Revelation and CGI style, and perhaps a new version of New Adventures Of He-Man as well in the new styles.

With Netflix aggressively expanding the properties it'd be nice if they would actually do that third season of 200X. Does MYP still exist?

With Netflix aggressively expanding the properties it'd be nice if they would actually do that third season of 200X. Does MYP still exist?
    While I don't know if MYP still exists, I would absolutely LOVE more MYP MOTU and a third season at least!

It's pretty easy to google Mike Young Productions...
    It's now known as Splash Entertainment and still producing animated TV shows and movies.

I feel that way about the MOTU continuity, too. But then, i come from a background of reading superhero comics. If today, I don't like something in Batman's continuity, it doesn't matter, because there's another group of comics I can choose from where he was written in a way I l like better.

I like some of He-Man's comic stuff. Some of it I find to be terrible. I love almost all of the filmation stuff... and future endeavors have their pros and cons for me, too.

I imagine Kevin Smith and any future MOTU efforts will have the same results for me.