Thread: Seasons 4 & 5 on DVD?

Seasons 4 & 5 on DVD?

I know seasons 1-3 were released in a single set on DVD but why hasn't seasons 4 & 5 been released on DVD as yet? Any news? rumors? gossip? ha ha
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

I imagine like almost any DVD release, if the previous season set didn't sell enough copies to make a profit, very few companies would release any more sets. The teens and twenty somethings that enjoyed this series the most aren't the physical media buying type. Plus, they tend to move on to the next thing or just rewatch it on Netflix. I think there would have been a season 4/5 release by now if it were going to come out.

My hope is down the road someone puts the whole thing out on blu-ray as one set. But, yeah- it's been annoying to have the first three but not the final two on physical media. Fingers crossed Revelation gets the dvd/blu-ray treatment and that everything is included!
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

I hope that they come out but that's unlikely. Blu-ray would be ideal but I don't even think they have even put the other series on Blu-ray yet. Hopefully at least Revelations gets some sort of home media release.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

That is crazy to release the first 3 seasons and not the final two. I am a Completionist so it drives me mad to not have the complete series on physical media. I always prefer to have my favourite shows and movies on physical media coz you never know when the streaming service will remove them or edit them.

I seriously hope the final two seasons will be released on DVD some time in the near future or even on Blu Ray which I'm guessing is less likely.

You can't release the first 3 seasons and not the final two, it is so stupid.

I also really hope Revelation is released on DVD/BLU Ray
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

Heroic Warrior
    Like Firefly stated, might not have been enough buyers of the first set to continue release further seasons on DVD, let alone BD.
    It's not the first time something like this has happened: Silverhawks and Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors had long gaps between volumes - 3/4 years if I'm not mistaken and a brief stint on MOD.
    The Conan animated series never got past the first 2 season on DVD, which bummed me out.

Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    Like Firefly stated, might not have been enough buyers of the first set to continue release further seasons on DVD, let alone BD.
    It's not the first time something like this has happened: Silverhawks and Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors had long gaps between volumes - 3/4 years if I'm not mistaken and a brief stint on MOD.
    The Conan animated series never got past the first 2 season on DVD, which bummed me out.
    SilverHawks' first release didn't do well for Warner Brothers, so its second volume was released on the Warner Archive DVD MOD program.

Some of the DiC/Cookie Jar/DHX Media library only got a release or two from Shout! Factory, didn't sell enough, but then Mill Creek Entertainment released them completely years later. While not DVD-Rs, Mill Creek is a budget company that crams a lot of episodes per disc and puts discs in paper sleeves in their cases. Jayce, C.O.P.S., Heathcliff, and a few others got completed this way.

Some shows, like Conan the Adventurer as you mention, never got completely released.

If a Netflix show does poorly on DVD or Blu-Ray, there really isn't much motivation to release it through cheaper means that won't make much (if any) money, since Netflix's primary goal is to get people to stream their shows, not buy physical media.

It would be nice to have all five seasons together in a physical media boxed set. If they make it, I'll buy it. But if not, I understand.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Quote Originally Posted by Xena-She-Ra View Post
    TI am a Completionist so it drives me mad to not have the complete series on physical media.
    Same here, this ends up happening with a lot of shows, the studios put out one collection, maybe two, depending on how many episodes per season, if it does well, out comes the next ones, if not, well, nothing else gets released... been waiting for the next set of Extreme Ghostbusters to get released, along with the Storm Hawks season 2 sets, however I see the chances of that happening as impossible to non-existent. I see the same happening for Netflix's She-Ra, the main issue is, physical releases aren't getting the advertisement that they once did and the focus is being shifted to streaming, which is quickly and essentially becoming the new Cable, so in order for new physical media releases to happen, they have to sell really really well and as you've probably guess, She-Ra obviously sold poorly.

No easy remedy of course, other than people just buying enough physical copies, which at this point, isn't going to happen!
    Demand quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Same here, this ends up happening with a lot of shows, the studios put out one collection, maybe two, depending on how many episodes per season, if it does well, out comes the next ones, if not, well, nothing else gets released... been waiting for the next set of Extreme Ghostbusters to get released, along with the Storm Hawks season 2 sets, however I see the chances of that happening as impossible to non-existent. I see the same happening for Netflix's She-Ra, the main issue is, physical releases aren't getting the advertisement that they once did and the focus is being shifted to streaming, which is quickly and essentially becoming the new Cable, so in order for new physical media releases to happen, they have to sell really really well and as you've probably guess, She-Ra obviously sold poorly.

No easy remedy of course, other than people just buying enough physical copies, which at this point, isn't going to happen!
    Such a shame, I hate not having the complete series on DVD/BluRay of any show. ALso its a shame coz I think the last 2 seasons were great and much better than the earlier seasons.
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

I would be highly interested in that Season 4,5 DVD as well. I didn't join the Netflix trend yet and was really happy to see Season 1,2,3 DVD realease. However I didn't buy it, because I expected there might be a problem with Season 4,5. Just like others here, I learned my lesson with 'Conan the Adventurer' DVD releases from Shout Factory. I really hate to do it but in the end I had to buy pirated DVD copies of the last Conan episodes.

... so I didn't watch the new She-Ra show yet. The same with MOTU Revelations. And I also have another problem with getting the New Adventures of He-Man DVDs. Either it is extremely expensive or the sellers do not ship to Europe. Aarrgh!

Btw. question for the Netflix users: does it offer download to own? I mean that I pay one time and download the new She-Ra series to my computer and then can watch it anytime without any internet connection?

No, here is what they have to say on their website https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

Screenshot 2021-08-14 065747.png
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    No, here is what they have to say on their website https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816
    Thanks for the info! But I think this is not for me for now. I do not like how these online services force the streaming videos and collect data about their users - what, when, how many times they watched ...
    I will try to stay with the DVDs for now. I know it might be only a question of time but if the new MOTUR/She-Ra animated series didn't make me join the online streaming services then I do not know what will. :-)

Now can we have those Season 4,5 She-Ra DVD please?

I came here wondering the same thing. Silly that the remainder has not been released. Seems like they did this to hook you and have you subscribe for the rest.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    I came here wondering the same thing. Silly that the remainder has not been released. Seems like they did this to hook you and have you subscribe for the rest.
    Thanks for posting this opinion. Actually I think the same, but did not write it in the previous post. Again, I don't like this at all. I am just surprised that all the Netflix/Amazon Prime/ ... users do not mind that various data is being collected about them. To me this is becoming quite personal.

I work in the Tech industry and I know that number of the factories that were producing the physical DVD media are rebuilt for different purpose. So in general it can be expected that DVDs will be only released for some special purpose in the future or completely removed from the market. And that is still fine, I do not mind to pay and download high quality video from an online service that I could play offline anytime. But I do mind if they force streaming and collect data about users. I wish fans would stop supporting this with their wallets.

This really does suck, they should release the last 2 seasons. It drives me crazy having an incomplete collection.
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

This really does suck, they should release the last 2 seasons. It drives me crazy having an incomplete collection.
    Maybe a Season 4,5 DVD support thread can be started here at He-Man.org (or this thread can be renamed to 'support' thread). Then somehow politely point Mattel to the thread to get their attention and show that online streaming is not the only way fans want to get MOTU/POP animated series.

Btw. what happened to the WTFWTK (What The Fans Want To Know) threads? There was series 4.1 answered and then 4.2 somehow disapeared? That could also be a way to ask Mattel regarding this Season 4,5 DVD.

You could request to one of the moderators of this She-Ra forum to retitle the thread to a support one, but unless you get hundreds upon hundreds of unique support responses, you would do more harm than good by trying to point this thread out to Mattel/DreamWorks/Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    You could request to one of the moderators of this She-Ra forum to retitle the thread to a support one, but unless you get hundreds upon hundreds of unique support responses, you would do more harm than good by trying to point this thread out to Mattel/DreamWorks/Netflix.
    It is very likely that you are right. This is not just a question of She-Ra DVD support.

As mentioned above: although I would like to have that Season4,5 DVD, I think that unfortunately, a DVD release at this point is not what a company like Mattel/DreamWorks/Netflix is likely to do. It goes against the whole trend of where technologies and entertainment go hand-in-hand. Even regular users must see that there are less and less DVDs offered, for example on Amazon.

Probably I do not need to explain this here because it is obvious that for the companies online streaming has important advantages:
    - a physical DVD medium production needs material and that has some cost. Nowadays, in the crisis, the materials get even more costly. With online streaming this cost is removed.
    - a physical DVD medium need to be delivered to the user - again a cost. With online streaming the user simply needs an internet connection.
    - with online streaming the companies collect data about their users behavior (who, when, where, how many times viewed a video)

I guess, there is one good thing: the fact that physical DVD mediums would not be produced and there would be only online download is enviromentaly friendly. Personally, I would not mind to download a digital picture (as if a packaging artwork) together with the video. I do not want to repeat myself - the problem for me is that the companies collect data about their users and that I can not simply view the video completely offline.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
    It is very likely that you are right. This is not just a question of She-Ra DVD support.

As mentioned above: although I would like to have that Season4,5 DVD, I think that unfortunately, a DVD release at this point is not what a company like Mattel/DreamWorks/Netflix is likely to do. It goes against the whole trend of where technologies and entertainment go hand-in-hand. Even regular users must see that there are less and less DVDs offered, for example on Amazon.

Probably I do not need to explain this here because it is obvious that for the companies online streaming has important advantages:
    - a physical DVD medium production needs material and that has some cost. Nowadays, in the crisis, the materials get even more costly. With online streaming this cost is removed.
    - a physical DVD medium need to be delivered to the user - again a cost. With online streaming the user simply needs an internet connection.
    - with online streaming the companies collect data about their users behavior (who, when, where, how many times viewed a video)

I guess, there is one good thing: the fact that physical DVD mediums would not be produced and there would be only online download is enviromentaly friendly. Personally, I would not mind to download a digital picture (as if a packaging artwork) together with the video. I do not want to repeat myself - the problem for me is that the companies collect data about their users and that I can not simply view the video completely offline.
    I always prefer the physical media, I like being able to hold it in my hand, look at the cover art, watch the special features if there are any and I I can view them anytime I like. Streaming is an issue coz depending on which country u live in u might not be able to even view the show on streaming, it's also a problem because if you are offline you cant view it as well and streaming companies also remove shows from time to time so that is another issue.
    That's why I prefer the physical media.
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

Yes, I want the last 2 seasons as well.....I would not mind a complete series collector set at some point as well!

I always prefer the physical media, I like being able to hold it in my hand, look at the cover art, watch the special features if there are any and I I can view them anytime I like. Streaming is an issue coz depending on which country u live in u might not be able to even view the show on streaming, it's also a problem because if you are offline you cant view it as well and streaming companies also remove shows from time to time so that is another issue.
    That's why I prefer the physical media.
    I think we basically agree, the Season4,5 DVDs have my support. I was just listing the reasons why companies in general prefer online streaming.

Btw. did you see the other thread posted by Tallstar in the "New Media ..." part of the forum? MOTU Revelation and MOTU CGI will be getting a DVD release at some point. I am surprised that She-Ra Season4,5 is not in the list. I am not an expert, is this again some licensing issue or they are simply not interested in She-Ra?

Or they will again follow the strategy and release MOTUR and MOTU CGI first seasons on DVDs and the rest will be online streaming only ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
    I think we basically agree, the Season4,5 DVDs have my support. I was just listing the reasons why companies in general prefer online streaming.

Btw. did you see the other thread posted by Tallstar in the "New Media ..." part of the forum? MOTU Revelation and MOTU CGI will be getting a DVD release at some point. I am surprised that She-Ra Season4,5 is not in the list. I am not an expert, is this again some licensing issue or they are simply not interested in She-Ra?

Or they will again follow the strategy and release MOTUR and MOTU CGI first seasons on DVDs and the rest will be online streaming only ...
    That's great news about Revelation, I didn't know about it getting a DVD release.
    I guess we can only hope for She-Ra seasons 4 n 5 but its looking more and more unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

Revelations is a short half season series, so it getting a DVD release is not surprising tbh, however I think the sales will be far less than Netflix She-Ra, probably end up costing them more to press and distribute to stores than what they get in sales revenue.

Which, brings us back to Netflix She-Ra, whilst they had ordered and paid for the production of 52 episodes right off the bat, releasing the 5 arcs on streaming was always going to happen. The DVDs however, are subject to demand, the first DVD release was probably done to test demand for the show beyond the service... obviously, fell far below any requirements justifying the final two arcs getting a physical media release. So in this instance, I say it's better to sell the current DVD if purchased, seeing as the show is available for streaming in it's entirety and there's clearly not going to be another DVD release!
    Demand quality.