Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 278

Thread: Do you think this show will have a lasting impact for MOTU?

  1. #226
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    I WANT to believe that, but one look at Tumblr and Twitter confirms that is not the case. People calling SPOP a huge success and demanding a movie and more merchandise, discounting any criticism, when we have it in black and white metrics that it was a failure.

    Clownfish TV are bad-faith actors that try to start from a half-decent point before going into a rant about ***'s, liberals, etc. That's the best way to describe their output.
    It's only natural for people to defend the properties they love and wish for more.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  2. #227
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    I WANT to believe that, but one look at Tumblr and Twitter confirms that is not the case. People calling SPOP a huge success and demanding a movie and more merchandise, discounting any criticism, when we have it in black and white metrics that it was a failure.

    Clownfish TV are bad-faith actors that try to start from a half-decent point before going into a rant about ***'s, liberals, etc. That's the best way to describe their output.
    I dunno dude the SPOP reddit is probably the best way to gauge the attitude of the fanbase, rather than a few idiots on twitter. About the only one of your descriptors I would say is accurate about them, is them wanting a movie.

    They don't even seem to particularly dislike Filmation She-Ra over there.

    My opinion on the idea of a movie, unless it involves Adora meeting this continuities version of her bro, I don't see the point. The story was pretty definitively finished, anything else would just be an artificial extension, that feels tacked on.

  3. #228
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,448
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I dunno dude the SPOP reddit is probably the best way to gauge the attitude of the fanbase, rather than a few idiots on twitter. About the only one of your descriptors I would say is accurate about them, is them wanting a movie.

    They don't even seem to particularly dislike Filmation She-Ra over there.

    My opinion on the idea of a movie, unless it involves Adora meeting this continuities version of her bro, I don't see the point. The story was pretty definitively finished, anything else would just be an artificial extension, that feels tacked on.

    Personally I would love a movie although I do love both Classic & New POP equally.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  4. #229
    Heroic Warrior AlexApprobation's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    248
    Whew, these 10 pages were a wild ride to read.

    I forgot what the original question was...

    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    What I mean by that is, do you think this show will have an effect on the fanbase and certain elements will stick in future incarnations (be it a Classics revival, future MOTU and POP media, etc.) similar to what happened with 200X.

    Personally, I feel that this show's incarnations of Shadow Weaver, Catra, and maybe Entrapta will probably survive, as well as certain costumes and weapons (specifically the new Sword of Protection, She-Ra's battle armor, Horde Trooper armor, and Catra's new costume). I also hope that Shadow Weaver's costume (or at the very least the mask) survives, but there's a lot of nostalgia for the hood that's too short look.
    ... ah, there we are.

    As a fan of the 200X and SPOP design and story changes, I hope so. We will just have to wait and see what the future creators the license holders choose will do.

  5. #230
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,448
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post
    Whew, these 10 pages were a wild ride to read.

    I forgot what the original question was...



    ... ah, there we are.

    As a fan of the 200X and SPOP design and story changes, I hope so. We will just have to wait and see what the future creators the license holders choose will do.
    I absolutely agree with you and welcome to the SPOP family!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  6. #231
    Heroic Warrior AlexApprobation's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I absolutely agree with you and welcome to the SPOP family!
    Thank you!

  7. #232
    Court Magician Deltavax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    38
    I'm not sure, but it's really hard to compare the 2018 show with the rest of the franchise as a whole. At least it was my understanding that this version of She-Ra had very little to do with the original. It was She-Ra in name only. I did like Catra a lot better in this version for the most part than I did in the original. To me (And I'm trying to throw shade at Melandy Britt who I believe was the original voice actress for both She-Ra/Adora and Catra.) the original Catra's voice sounded more like the classic versions of Catwoman, at least to me. I found that kind of annoying after a while, but I do think that her using her mask to turn into a panther is cool though, they should've kept that for the remake. But instead of possibly using the mask, whatever Catra's species is, it allows to shape shift into a feral cat form. That would've been cool. Didn't really dig the Melog character. I know she was a completely character in the original, but I don't know much more than that. But I think Mattel is going to focus more on Classic She-Ra because the fans like that and it sells, and they didn't really care for the Noelle Stevenson version. The 2018 show left a bad taste in a lot of their mouths because of how much they changed the show, and how they were treated when they tried telling DreamWorks that this wasn't She-Ra to them. I won't go into too much detail, but it got pretty bad from what I've heard. Me, personally I liked it, but as it's own thing, not really because it's a reboot. Compared to the 2002 Masters of the Universe show, it's not very good. Very inconsistent with it's world, focused way too much on the "shipping", especially towards the end. And it felt very silly and juvenile, it was hard to believe that they were actually fighting a war, unlike the original. Personally, I didn't really care for Adora because they didn't really do anything with her. I kept waiting for answers and I got bored. Even if she wasn't going to be Adam's sister I wanted to learn more about where she came from, who where First Ones (I was pretty sure they were the Eterinians, but they never said.) Not to mention, the original Adora was a competent solider and leader. In the remake she's kind of a klutzy buffoon that was competent in some things, but very incompetent in other things. I much preferred her predecessor Mara, because she had more personality, and was better fleshed out, even though she was hardly even in the show. And she had real potential. A lot of other 2018 fans want a follow up movie of what happens after Season 5 and how Catradora will work as a couple, I want a prequel series that tells Mara's story and what her life was like when she was She-Ra. Who the First One's were. What was their conflict with Horde Prime, etc, etc, but that's me.

  8. #233
    Heroic Warrior Cheshire Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    478
    It's weird, I don't really think of this show as having changed much. It hit all the nostalgia points for me. Sure characterization is different but a lot of the OG characterisation was really one note, and even that note wasn't consistent throughout. A lot of what Noelle incorporated is mentioned in the original show and support media; like the Brightmoon Moonstone, Catra being the primary antagonist (as featured in a lot of the books) until Hordak was brought on board, the names of places. I thought all in all it took everything I loved about the original franchises and wove it into a cohesive story. I think a lot of the fans didn't dig the overt gayness of it, possibly reading it as being 'not targeted at them'. I love the idea of a prequel miniseries or Movie exploring Mara, the possible Primus connections, where the word Grayskull originates, who the First Ones were etc. I think it could be fun.

  9. #234
    Court Magician Deltavax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    38
    Oh yeah, I forgot Mara was part of the New Adventures of He-Man show. I watched that a long time ago, but I didn't terribly care for it. It didn't feel like He-Man to me, so I stuck with the original or 2002 series. In terms of the show being very LBGTQ+ inclusive, I didn't really care about that. The only issue I had with Catradora was that it just seemed very unstable to toxic. I mean I know originally Adora had a thing going on with Sea Hawk, but since the reboot is a very different interpretation, and I didn't watch the original much until the reboot ended, I didn't really say anything. That and I didn't really feel that Catra's redemption arc was terribly believable. It had good ideas, but in the end, it just wasn't executed very well on-screen. Personally I would've liked to see more screen time with Glimmer and Bow with them developing romantic feelings of each other, but it didn't happen very much.

    Oh and a quick question, do you think Adam/He-Man should've made a guest appearance when the show still aired considering how different the 2018 lore is from the Classic?

  10. #235
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,322
    I would say the issue with Catra's redemption is that as Tv Tropes would put it, she had arguably, already crossed the moral event horizon and been beyond actualy deserving to be redeemed.

  11. #236
    Court Magician Deltavax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    38
    Good point. I mean she's tried killing Adora and her friends since the beginning, (Which considering Adora left Catra high and dry to hang out with Bow and Glimmer who she didn't know for very long, I wouldn't terribly blame her to an extent.), and then when she found out Shadow Weaver manipulated her yet again, and left for Bright Moon, I think that's when she began losing her sanity. I mean she did almost delete reality because if she couldn't have Adora, no one could, which costed Queen Angella to unfortunately be stuck between dimensions after she pulled the Sword out for eternity, if it didn't kill her. Then everything Catra did in Season 4, yeah, as much as I hate to say it since I do prefer this version of her over the original, she was probably beyond help. Adora gave her chance, after chance, after chance, but Catra basically blew her off. You can't help people who don't want to help themselves. I mean she didn't even apologize for everything she's done or face any kind of repercussions.

  12. #237
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,322
    There's also the fact that no matter how sympathetic or tragic ones backstory is, it can only go so far to excuse being a terrible person. For example there's a character called Cinder from a series called RWBY.

    Cinder does have a pretty horrible and traumatic past and one can view her in a somewhat tragic light. But none of that changes the fact she is an utterly vile person and the show makes that very clear. And none of that really makes her any less hateable.

    Catra for the bulk of She-Ra is a terrible person, not as bad as Cinder mind you but still beyond the point were her backstory makes her not a terrible person. It probably dosn't help that outside of the one moment of her saving Glimmer their isn't much dwelling on her feeling repentant or dealing with the guilt of what she did.

    I don't totally hate Catra's redemption of the things done with her after it, because it at least fit the themes of the show and their was some good stuff in their, but it has it's problems.

  13. #238
    Court Magician Deltavax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    38
    Oh yeah. I don't hate the show. Just I think they went a little too far with Catra's antagonistic and abusive behavior, and not enough in her redemption if she even deserved one. Also again, I would've preferred more story and lore instead of dumb comedy moments, or the characters constantly partying all the time for very little reason, etc, etc. I'm not even totally against a movie, but if it's all about the relationships or whatever, I'm not going to be very interested. I want to know more about DreamWork's version of how Adora came to be on Ethiera. We know Light Hope somehow bypassed the planetary portal interference that allowed Hordak to travel to the world (Possibly Eterina) that Adora was in as a baby. Though I think in a live stream, Noelle said that if DreamWorks green-lit a movie, she would focus on them saving Angella, which, again I'm not against either. As long as it tells an interesting and engaging story.

  14. #239
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,322
    I don't really mind the juxtaposition of wacky comedy antics, to darker more dramatic moments, but I already watched and liked a lot of shows that did that kind of of thing, so it probably gives me more of a tolerance/appreciation for that kind of thing.

  15. #240
    Court Magician Deltavax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    38
    I grew used to it. I guess maybe it's just because I saw a lot of potential in the story and I just thought it was going to waste.

  16. #241
    Heroic Warrior Cheshire Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    478
    I would have like a bit more of Adora's past and her family, even if it was just a silhouette of them through a portal to Eternia. I was holding thumbs right to the end to see Grayskull - mostly because I loved the backgrounds in this new series and would've loved to see this incarnation's take on the castle.
    Yeah the new series has issues and I do tend to agree that Catra was pretty far gone and that the redemption was slightly tough to swallow. I mean opening the portal was a huge deal - Catra was prepared to destroy the whole planet right there, and her actions resulted in Angella's death - while I don't think she's beyond redemption I do think it happened too quickly and conveniently, which it I get because at the end of the day it's a kid's show.
    I wasn't overly fond of Hordak's redemption - but that's just because I love him as a villain but I can kind of accept it because he was sort of brainwashed and reset lol.
    All in all I think this series had some fantastic ideas, not the least of which was spinning Mara into a fuller, more engaging character. New Adventures wasn't great but I'd be open to see more of the characters and lore from that era incorporated if it's given the same care Mara was in this new series.

  17. #242
    Court Magician Deltavax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    38
    Yeah, I'm all for a Mara series. I don't really remember much about New Adventures because it's been so long, and I couldn't stand it as a kid, but maybe the First Ones were more than just Eternia. Maybe Eternia was just a branch of them that finally broke off and after Horde Prime mostly eradicated them, they followed Mara's example and went into hiding, I don't know. Maybe I should give New Adventures another chance. Was that a sequel to the original Masters of the Universe series, or was it a full reboot like the 2002 series?

  18. #243
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltavax View Post
    Yeah, I'm all for a Mara series. I don't really remember much about New Adventures because it's been so long, and I couldn't stand it as a kid, but maybe the First Ones were more than just Eternia. Maybe Eternia was just a branch of them that finally broke off and after Horde Prime mostly eradicated them, they followed Mara's example and went into hiding, I don't know. Maybe I should give New Adventures another chance. Was that a sequel to the original Masters of the Universe series, or was it a full reboot like the 2002 series?
    I didn't grow up with New Adventures, it didn't air here, but when I did discover it, I loved it, especially Tuskador, Hydron, Flipshot, Sagitar, Critta, Mara and Drissi.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  19. #244
    Court Magician Deltavax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    38
    I didn't either. None of the series. My mom found them all on DVD at our local library. I'm currently re watching the 2002 reboot, and I get bummed out at the end, because I know that they will most likely never make anymore. Maybe after that I'll give New Adventures another try. It's on the Peacock streaming service.

  20. #245
    Heroic Warrior AlexApprobation's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Moon View Post
    It's weird, I don't really think of this show as having changed much. It hit all the nostalgia points for me. Sure characterization is different but a lot of the OG characterisation was really one note, and even that note wasn't consistent throughout. A lot of what Noelle incorporated is mentioned in the original show and support media; like the Brightmoon Moonstone, Catra being the primary antagonist (as featured in a lot of the books) until Hordak was brought on board, the names of places. I thought all in all it took everything I loved about the original franchises and wove it into a cohesive story. I think a lot of the fans didn't dig the overt gayness of it, possibly reading it as being 'not targeted at them'. I love the idea of a prequel miniseries or Movie exploring Mara, the possible Primus connections, where the word Grayskull originates, who the First Ones were etc. I think it could be fun.
    Agreed. I admit, I don't have any nostalgia invested in the old POP series. What I know of She-Ra and crew was whenever they crossed over to MOTU or the toys my neighbor had. After seeing the reboot, I read the mini comics and... I wasn't a fan. The reboot took all the concepts and characters and improved it all into something more cohesive and interesting IMHO. I was also a big fan of how the reboot made the characters visually interesting and recognizable by silhouette alone. The old versions were pretty much the same body cut and pasted with different colors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deltavax View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot Mara was part of the New Adventures of He-Man show. I watched that a long time ago, but I didn't terribly care for it. It didn't feel like He-Man to me, so I stuck with the original or 2002 series.
    Yeah, I couldn't get into New Adventures either. I tried a few episodes and had a few of the figures... I wasn't a fan. After watching the POP reboot and diving back into the MOTU lore overall, I discovered the Mara New Adventures connection. That was a pretty cool easter egg.

    I plan to revisit the old Filmation stuff for the first time in decades to see what I think of it all. Maybe I can gain a new appreciation.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

  21. #246
    Court Magician Deltavax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    38
    To be honest, I didn't really care for OG She-Ra either at first. I had nothing against her, but I just preferred He-Man. I only really watched the 2018 reboot because I figured that since it seemed like She-Ra was getting one, maybe they'll give He-Man another one, but it'll be a spin-off of hers. Well he is getting a reboot, and an anime continuation of the original, but DreamWorks won't be having anything to do with those. Honestly, I still have mixed feelings on if that was best. Now watching the original series, after watching the reboot, I'm taking a bit more of appreciation towards it. Sure it could get corny, and the voice acting may be a little hokey but it was an 80s action cartoon. That's part of the fun at least to me. Most of the issue I had with the reboot was the that the story had so much potential, but it felt kind of wasted on too much silly and juvenile humor, and the plot sort of contradicted itself and they rarely explained anything.

  22. #247
    Heroic Warrior AlexApprobation's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltavax View Post
    To be honest, I didn't really care for OG She-Ra either at first. I had nothing against her, but I just preferred He-Man. I only really watched the 2018 reboot because I figured that since it seemed like She-Ra was getting one, maybe they'll give He-Man another one, but it'll be a spin-off of hers. Well he is getting a reboot, and an anime continuation of the original, but DreamWorks won't be having anything to do with those. Honestly, I still have mixed feelings on if that was best. Now watching the original series, after watching the reboot, I'm taking a bit more of appreciation towards it. Sure it could get corny, and the voice acting may be a little hokey but it was an 80s action cartoon. That's part of the fun at least to me. Most of the issue I had with the reboot was the that the story had so much potential, but it felt kind of wasted on too much silly and juvenile humor, and the plot sort of contradicted itself and they rarely explained anything.
    I can totally dig that! I watched the POP reboot because I heard so many accolades for it over so many years. I expected it to be a slog, but I loved the show from the first episode.

    Usually I get pretty annoyed with silly or juvenile humor, but I didn't find any of that in the POP reboot. No over the top pratfalls and slapstick or gross out body humor. The very ending seemed a bit rushed and wrapped things up very neatly, but overall I found it well-written, strong in pacing, amazing with characterization, and so surprisingly charming.

    I will have to come back later to comment my thoughts on revisiting the older stuff. I hope I can start tomorrow.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

  23. #248
    Court Magician Deltavax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    38
    I don't know how related this is to the thread, but some friends and are doing a fanfiction crossover quadrilogy between the 2018 She-Ra, and my own superhero universe. We are going to put Adam/He-Man in it, but it won't be till much later. I was very reluctant to want to touch He-Man considering some of the outcry a lot of OG She-Ra fans had towards the reboot, but we're going to try and make it work, but still stay respectful towards OG Fans. Like Grayskull (The King) will have split his power into his children. One would be He-Man, protector of Castle Grayskull and Eterina, while his daughter would inherit the power of She-Ra and defend Ethiera. This is still a work in progress, but it's at least a start. We do know that Adam will not come in during the Horde Prime situation, he will come in later in that specific series where Adora would have to go on a quest with some of my characters, Catra, Bow, and Glimmer to discover who and what the First Ones are, and it be lead to Eternia, and finally find him. But again, he won't come in until the third series.

  24. #249
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,448
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post
    I can totally dig that! I watched the POP reboot because I heard so many accolades for it over so many years. I expected it to be a slog, but I loved the show from the first episode.

    Usually I get pretty annoyed with silly or juvenile humor, but I didn't find any of that in the POP reboot. No over the top pratfalls and slapstick or gross out body humor. The very ending seemed a bit rushed and wrapped things up very neatly, but overall I found it well-written, strong in pacing, amazing with characterization, and so surprisingly charming.

    I will have to come back later to comment my thoughts on revisiting the older stuff. I hope I can start tomorrow.
    I completely agree with you on all points!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  25. #250
    Heroic Warrior Cosmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    273
    Just saying hi to this thread to chime in about the original question- I do think that *some* aspects of it will show up in future incarnations. Maybe Depending what those incarnations will be.

    But PsoP gave us a lot more characterization, some back stories, new alliances and of course, relationships, where the original series didn’t showcase and elaborate some of the characters. Plus some interesting variations on the designs!
    It’s such wealth of material, and some of it is more “modern”, I can totally see how it would become part of future lore.

    I for my part really enjoyed the show.
    For my taste, the designs could have used a bit of... weight? Chunkiness? I dunno... And the Fright Zone could have been more unique and scarier. But the series looked very... Now! That’s what counts.

    And I loved the writing and characterization, the progress of the seasons... Adventure series that have a good sense of humor really strike a chord with me. The characters flowed natural, worked so well with the voice acting.

    Most importantly, it had love. So much love, towards it characters, and love pretty much saved the universe. Couldn’t be happier about that outcome.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •