Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 278

Thread: Do you think this show will have a lasting impact for MOTU?

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The new She-Ra series is brilliant and will never be forgotten, especially by the fans who are loyal to the series. Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean you're right.
    Not saying it because 'I' don't like it, but from the basics up, the show is a mess, the vast majority is wasted on side tangents that didn't need to be, as they didn't progress the story or plot, the 52 eps can easily be whittled down to 13 or 16 eps, cut out some characters and it wouldn't make a difference in regards to the story or result.

    As for it being forgotten or not forgotten, only time will tell, though given how things are going, probably won't have to wait too long... but that's just my observation! Again, just look at how few replies this forum is getting now.

    I wish I could be singing this show praises from the rooftops, I really do, but I can't because there's nothing to praise. 200X, was it perfect? No, of course it wasn't, but it was a well produced show overall, so it deserved its praises, but also its critisms over the way certain characters were portrayed... and 'that' episode. There is nothing to praise the Netflix She-Ra show about, other than 'never produce a show like this', saying that, I do say that some of the background art looked amazing, but that's it.
    Last edited by Zentron; July 18, 2020 at 10:43am.
    Demand quality.

  2. #27
    Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,353
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    I have to rewatched some episodes of original POP since I can't seem to remember Bow as a regular "lad in distress". He is quite a capable fighter (rebel if you may) on most episodes.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    You should watch some of the documentary interviews with the creators in which they specifically state this.

  3. #28
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Not saying it because 'I' don't like it, but from the basics up, the show is a mess, the vast majority is wasted on side tangents that didn't need to be, as they didn't progress the story or plot, the 52 eps can easily be whittled down to 13 or 16 eps, cut out some characters and it wouldn't make a difference in regards to the story or result.

    As for it being forgotten or not forgotten, only time will tell, though given how things are going, probably won't have to wait too long... but that's just my observation! Again, just look at how few replies this forum is getting now.

    I wish I could be singing this show praises from the rooftops, I really do, but I can't because there's nothing to praise. 200X, was it perfect? No, of course it wasn't, but it was a well produced show overall, so it deserved its praises, but also its critisms over the way certain characters were portrayed... and 'that' episode. There is nothing to praise the Netflix She-Ra show about, other than 'never produce a show like this', saying that, I do say that some of the background art looked amazing, but that's it.
    I completely disagree with everything you say, the new She-Ra series is full of beautiful animation, wonderful characters who are essential to the ongoing storyline, and brilliant story ideas, plus it is equalitarian, inclusive and diverse, all of which are inspirational and commendable.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  4. #29
    Heroic MI-6 Agent He-Manis007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,973
    Mikey, is there anything critical you can say of the series? Bearing in mind that it doesn't mean you love them less for acknowledging their points of criticism.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

    The name is Bond.... James Bond.

  5. #30
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,448
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Manis007 View Post
    Mikey, is there anything critical you can say of the series? Bearing in mind that it doesn't mean you love them less for acknowledging their points of criticism.
    For me, there's nothing to criticise about the new POP series. Although I would have loved to have seen the true Flutterina and Peekablue, and to know where Sweet Bee was since she was mentioned but never seen.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,461
    It had quite a bit to recommend it. Particularly in the fourth and fifth seasons when they actually made Etheria feel like a planet under siege. I also think they're rendition of Horde Prime was far superior to Filmation's version, and Eldritch Abomination is intimidating, but there's just so little you can do with such a character beyond making them the greater scope villain. And I did like the character development they gave to the characters they paid attention to.

    That being said, there was a great deal of missed opportunity. And yes I count Imp being punted out the door in the final season as part of that. There's also the fact of how quickly they dropped the idea of Etheria's natural state being suppressed by the Ancients' technology on us. Quite frankly when those megafauna started waking up, I was caught completely off guard. If part of the mystery surrounding Etheria's colonization was what it was like before, especially with Razz as one of the few who remember, they should have devoted a mini-arc to that.

    I do hope it will have a lasting effect on the franchise, especially since there are things that can be built on from it.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  7. #32
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,448
    I agree about the missed opportunities, I would have loved to have had some elaboration as to how Double Trouble was able to morph into Flutterina and Peekablue. In most shapeshifter legends, the shapeshifter usually has to have had come into contact with the person or thing they morph into in order to access their looks, skills and powers or DNA, whatever. I would have loved to have had She-Ra and friends try and track down the real Flutterina and Peekablue, perhaps Double Trouble imprisoned them or something else dire happened.

    I also wish they had done more than merely mentioned Sweet Bee in an episode, only to not follow through on bringing her into the series.

    I would have loved to have seen Kowl or Loo-Kee introduced somehow, along with General Sunder and The Rock People.

    Other than that, I pretty much loved the series as was presented.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,322
    In regards to Horde Prime, I think it could be possible to have it both ways and have the eldritch abomination be revealed as his true form or go the opposite way and have the eldritch abomination be a smoke screen for the real Horde Prime.

    Anyway I think some stuff, like Adora and Catra's relationship being much more personal will influence future stuff, even versions that are predominantly based the classic series.

    For the most part i think any other characterisation from this show, that carries over will be for characters who were kind of blank slates before hand.

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    You should watch some of the documentary interviews with the creators in which they specifically state this.
    Good advice.

    But i rather rewatch episodes, i can judge Bow's "lad in distress" status by myself, it is quite simple to do.

    The SOS equivalent episodes shows Bow as capable fighter and not some distressed guy.
    I will be rewatching more.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  10. #35
    UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    3,615
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Good advice.

    But i rather rewatch episodes, i can judge Bow's "lad in distress" status by myself, it is quite simple to do.

    The SOS equivalent episodes shows Bow as capable fighter and not some distressed guy.
    I will be rewatching more.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Plus the cast and crew of the Netflix show are hardly authorities on the Filmation original. In fact, it's a lot more like them to be disrespectful and dismissive of the original show, so their shallow and unfounded criticism here is hardly a surprise.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Not saying it because 'I' don't like it, but from the basics up, the show is a mess, the vast majority is wasted on side tangents that didn't need to be, as they didn't progress the story or plot, the 52 eps can easily be whittled down to 13 or 16 eps, cut out some characters and it wouldn't make a difference in regards to the story or result.

    As for it being forgotten or not forgotten, only time will tell, though given how things are going, probably won't have to wait too long... but that's just my observation! Again, just look at how few replies this forum is getting now.

    I wish I could be singing this show praises from the rooftops, I really do, but I can't because there's nothing to praise. 200X, was it perfect? No, of course it wasn't, but it was a well produced show overall, so it deserved its praises, but also its critisms over the way certain characters were portrayed... and 'that' episode. There is nothing to praise the Netflix She-Ra show about, other than 'never produce a show like this', saying that, I do say that some of the background art looked amazing, but that's it.
    Spot on. I was commending the show highly during the first few seasons and felt the writing gave it significant strengths over the original show, but by the time of the final season the quality of the writing had all but fizzled out and the entire conflict between good and evil came across as nothing more than a gimmicky backdrop for the various characters' love stories.
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

    The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

  11. #36
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    Plus the cast and crew of the Netflix show are hardly authorities on the Filmation original. In fact, it's a lot more like them to be disrespectful and dismissive of the original show, so their shallow and unfounded criticism here is hardly a surprise.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Spot on. I was commending the show highly during the first few seasons and felt the writing gave it significant strengths over the original show, but by the time of the final season the quality of the writing had all but fizzled out and the entire conflict between good and evil came across as nothing more than a gimmicky backdrop for the various characters' love stories.
    I wouldn't go that far. While the relationships were clearly the core of the show, the good vs evil part was still the primary driving conflict. While the relationship aspect is ultimately what gave Adora the strength to win the day in the ends, I don't think it really overshadowed the battle against Horde Prime in the final season.

    There is also the fact that the last few episodes clearly take more than a few cues from, Revolutionary Girl Utena (the Catradora scene is very clearly modelled one similar scene from Utena's finale), which also very much took a similar approach to it's story telling.

    As I've said elsewhere a much more valid criticisms of the show is that it dosn't truly do anything, the shows that influenced it didn't do better and while it is a solid show, it is one that ultimately dosn't say or do anything original. And while originality is a tad bit overrated, the lack of it still limits how much of an identity the show has of it's own.

    And that is how you actualy critique the show.

  12. #37
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    it is equalitarian, inclusive and diverse
    Plenty of shows and movies are these days...and they don't always make anything automatically better.

  13. #38
    Friend of fox Rhanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eternian Pampas
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    What I mean by that is, do you think this show will have an effect on the fanbase and certain elements will stick in future incarnations (be it a Classics revival, future MOTU and POP media, etc.) similar to what happened with 200X.

    Personally, I feel that this show's incarnations of Shadow Weaver, Catra, and maybe Entrapta will probably survive, as well as certain costumes and weapons (specifically the new Sword of Protection, She-Ra's battle armor, Horde Trooper armor, and Catra's new costume). I also hope that Shadow Weaver's costume (or at the very least the mask) survives, but there's a lot of nostalgia for the hood that's too short look.
    No, it won't. It was barely mentioned this past weekend at Power Con and Mattel is not launching any toys for now even though it has already ended.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

    My feedback thread

  14. #39
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Plenty of shows and movies are these days...and they don't always make anything automatically better.

    Actually, equality, diversity and inclusiveness make everything better.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior Stratos88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    482
    My wife and I actually had a conversation about this last night, amusing to see a forum topic pertaining to the discussion. It'll be a bit of a read, but I'll put down our collective thoughts for any who care to read.

    When Netflix She-Ra was announced I was really excited, but my wife didn't know anything about the series. I explained the plot to her and we were there day one to watch the show, but we both agreed to bail part way through the second episode. I believe "best friend squad" was the final nail in the coffin for us. The show just wasn't for us, but I'm glad that there are old fans that can appreciate this interpretation.

    That being said, I sincerely hope any She-Ra property in the future does not borrow heavily from this adaptation. From everything I've read about the remainder of the series, the creators planted their flags in "diversity and inclusiveness" and thought that'd be more than enough to float the show because anyone who doesn't embrace that is just a hater or a troll right? You can be as diverse or inclusive as you want, but if you don't back that up with compelling characters and an interesting story then what is the point? For this show and an unfortunate number of other series these days, the answer seems to be shipping. This is the key point in why I don't want the series to be considered in the future, it focused way too heavily on shipping which is just unnecessary for a show aimed at children.

    And with shipping comes the other unfortunate thing regarding this series - toxic shippers joining the fandom. My wife has shown me a ton of really toxic tweets from these new She-Ra fans that is really disheartening to see entering the MotU/POP fandom. Every Masters/POP fan I've met have all been lovely people, but these particular new She-Ra fans are a far cry from that standard.

    In closing, I hope any new She-Ra series ditches the crutch of "inclusivity and diversity" and just focuses on making an entertaining show that drives the property forward in a way that is meaningful, which isn't done with shipping and toxicity.

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    My wife and I actually had a conversation about this last night, amusing to see a forum topic pertaining to the discussion. It'll be a bit of a read, but I'll put down our collective thoughts for any who care to read.

    When Netflix She-Ra was announced I was really excited, but my wife didn't know anything about the series. I explained the plot to her and we were there day one to watch the show, but we both agreed to bail part way through the second episode. I believe "best friend squad" was the final nail in the coffin for us. The show just wasn't for us, but I'm glad that there are old fans that can appreciate this interpretation.

    That being said, I sincerely hope any She-Ra property in the future does not borrow heavily from this adaptation. From everything I've read about the remainder of the series, the creators planted their flags in "diversity and inclusiveness" and thought that'd be more than enough to float the show because anyone who doesn't embrace that is just a hater or a troll right? You can be as diverse or inclusive as you want, but if you don't back that up with compelling characters and an interesting story then what is the point? For this show and an unfortunate number of other series these days, the answer seems to be shipping. This is the key point in why I don't want the series to be considered in the future, it focused way too heavily on shipping which is just unnecessary for a show aimed at children.

    And with shipping comes the other unfortunate thing regarding this series - toxic shippers joining the fandom. My wife has shown me a ton of really toxic tweets from these new She-Ra fans that is really disheartening to see entering the MotU/POP fandom. Every Masters/POP fan I've met have all been lovely people, but these particular new She-Ra fans are a far cry from that standard.

    In closing, I hope any new She-Ra series ditches the crutch of "inclusivity and diversity" and just focuses on making an entertaining show that drives the property forward in a way that is meaningful, which isn't done with shipping and toxicity.
    Agree on all points.

    But some won't see this very objectively.
    Glad you worded it very politely.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Actually, equality, diversity and inclusiveness make everything better.
    Not for everything.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Not for everything.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    I don't think it automatically makes a story better, but I don't think it really detracts from a story either.

  19. #44
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    7,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    No, it won't. It was barely mentioned this past weekend at Power Con and Mattel is not launching any toys for now even though it has already ended.
    Mattel never really cared about this version of She-Ra. They have very, very little to do with it. Mentioned it only in passing or a few times.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    Plus the cast and crew of the Netflix show are hardly authorities on the Filmation original. In fact, it's a lot more like them to be disrespectful and dismissive of the original show, so their shallow and unfounded criticism here is hardly a surprise.
    Their dismissal and disrespect of the original series, and the "fans" who got behind this motion, was/is disgusting. Melendy Britt herself spoke on this.

  20. #45
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Actually, equality, diversity and inclusiveness make everything better.
    Actually NO changing something to suit one's own agenda is and always will be WRONG!

    People tend to forget this..........

  21. #46
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    7,209
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I don't think it automatically makes a story better, but I don't think it really detracts from a story either.
    This isn't distracting at all:


  22. #47
    Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    STL Metro East
    Posts
    1,427
    I don't understand how even the most liberal of TRUE She-ra fans don't think that this show was ridiculous. Essentially, changing nearly every character. Changing over half the core female cast's sexual orientation becomes less demonstrating diversity and somewhere on the border of comical and sad.

    I hate it when any established character is changed for diversity's sake. Create NEW characters!

    This show was lousy for MANY reasons, but the biggest was the agenda pushing using established characters over 30 years old.

    I hope they bury this show deeper than the Star Wars Christmas Special and the Ewoks cartoon.

  23. #48
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    I hate it when any established character is changed for diversity's sake. Create NEW characters!
    See that's the problem they either won't do it or they would rather change existing character's to suit their needs...

    Example Northstar in Marvel comics came out as gay so instead of using an already established character they would rather change like Captain America and make him gay...which serves no purpose and was NOT how the creators wanted that character portrayed...

  24. #49
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    This isn't distracting at all:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PCWUCv1rnU
    The fact it's trying to be diverse isn't the problem, the fact that it's hamfisted and badly written is the problem. Take the diverstitycentric stuff out and it would still be terrible.

  25. #50
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    I don't understand how even the most liberal of TRUE She-ra fans don't think that this show was ridiculous. Essentially, changing nearly every character. Changing over half the core female cast's sexual orientation becomes less demonstrating diversity and somewhere on the border of comical and sad.

    I hate it when any established character is changed for diversity's sake. Create NEW characters!

    This show was lousy for MANY reasons, but the biggest was the agenda pushing using established characters over 30 years old.

    I hope they bury this show deeper than the Star Wars Christmas Special and the Ewoks cartoon.
    I absolutely DISAGREE with everything you say. The new She-Ra series is fantastic and amazing, and striving for equality and diversity is one of the most important things for anyone to do in life and art.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •