Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think this show will have a lasting impact for MOTU?

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    I don't understand how even the most liberal of TRUE She-ra fans don't think that this show was ridiculous. Essentially, changing nearly every character. Changing over half the core female cast's sexual orientation becomes less demonstrating diversity and somewhere on the border of comical and sad.

I hate it when any established character is changed for diversity's sake. Create NEW characters!

This show was lousy for MANY reasons, but the biggest was the agenda pushing using established characters over 30 years old.

I hope they bury this show deeper than the Star Wars Christmas Special and the Ewoks cartoon.
    Well to be frank I don't like the original, so not being like it is a plus in my book. And even if I did like the original, I wouldn't mind them doing being different cause that's the whole point of a reboot, in the first place.

So I can look at the quality of the show as a whole and say I liked it. I think a lot of it's fans around here greatly overate it, it is far from a truly great show, but overall a solid 7 or 8 out of 10. Certainly better than the original at any rate, but that's not exactly a high hurdle to clear.
    Last edited by A Dalek; August 15, 2020 at 07:53pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    The fact it's trying to be diverse isn't the problem, the fact that it's hamfisted and badly written is the problem.
    You just cancelled your own argument. The diversity is hamfisted, which hurts the production/story. This thing is as organic in diversity as an all-black college.

- - - Updated - - -

Well to be frank I don't like the original, so not being like it is a plus in my book. And even if I did like the original, I wouldn't mind them doing being different cause that's the whole point of a reboot, in the first place.

So I can look at the quality of the show as a whole and say I liked it. I think a lot of it's fans around here greatly overate it, it is far from a truly great show, but overall a solid 7 or 8 out of 10. Certainly better than the original at any rate, but that's not exactly a high hurdle to clear.
    This show is far from original. It takes everything from the original as a base and then not only dishonors much of what came before, but the makers of this thing dishonor the makers of the original. They could have easily made a different show and done whatever they wanted. But instead they knew damn well they could get attention with the She-Ra name, and THEN do what they wanted. There is a reason Mattel has distanced itself from this thing, and it has divided the fan base on its merit as a She-Ra narrative/show.

The new She-Ra series has not dishonoured anything. Diversity and equality make a property rich and opens up new worlds for exciting and heartfelt stories. I LOVE the original series and the new series has built on something that was already wonderful and has made it even more wonderful. The 80's series were limited to the ideologies of the time and although the stories were brilliant, being able to explore humanity through characters in their most liberal form in current times has made the series more real and reflective of life as it is and how it should be.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    You just cancelled your own argument. The diversity is hamfisted, which hurts the production/story. This thing is as organic in diversity as an all-black college.

- - - Updated - - -

This show is far from original. It takes everything from the original as a base and then not only dishonors much of what came before, but the makers of this thing dishonor the makers of the original. They could have easily made a different show and done whatever they wanted. But instead they knew damn well they could get attention with the She-Ra name, and THEN do what they wanted. There is a reason Mattel has distanced itself from this thing, and it has divided the fan base on its merit as a She-Ra narrative/show.
    Diversity does not automatically make something hamfisted. Pretending as if that is the case is a grouse oversimplification of things.

" They could have easily made a different show and done whatever they wanted. But instead they knew damn well they could get attention with the She-Ra name".

This argument in particular is dumb for two reasons.

1: Most the attention this show got was from millennials and gen zers, who don't care about the original, so I doubt the name got them much attention on that front.

2: They didn't decide on day to make a She-Ra reboot, Mattel hired them to make one.
    Last edited by A Dalek; August 15, 2020 at 08:16pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Diversity does not automatically make something hamfisted. Pretending as if that is the case is a grouse oversimplification of things.

" They could have easily made a different show and done whatever they wanted. But instead they knew damn well they could get attention with the She-Ra name".

This argument in particular is dumb for two reasons.

1: Most the attention this show got was from millennials and gen zers, who don't care about the original, so I doubt the name got them much attention on that front.

2: They didn't decide on day to make a She-Ra reboot, Mattel hired them to make one.
    The diversity isn't hamfisted in the new "She-Ra"? You just stated it was in the above quote. But okay.

And Mattel really pushed this show, didn't they? Okay.

All the attention it got? It got a lot of attention by a young crowd, huh? And it has clearly lasted, huh? Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The new She-Ra series has not dishonoured anything. Diversity and equality make a property rich and opens up new worlds for exciting and heartfelt stories. I LOVE the original series and the new series has built on something that was already wonderful and has made it even more wonderful. The 80's series were limited to the ideologies of the time and although the stories were brilliant, being able to explore humanity through characters in their most liberal form in current times has made the series more real and reflective of life as it is and how it should be.
    To anyone still defending it here's Melendy Britt stating the obvious:

Attached Images Attached Images

I've always been an outspoken and devoted fan of BOTH She-Ra series.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    I don't understand how even the most liberal of TRUE She-ra fans don't think that this show was ridiculous. Essentially, changing nearly every character. Changing over half the core female cast's sexual orientation becomes less demonstrating diversity and somewhere on the border of comical and sad.

I hate it when any established character is changed for diversity's sake. Create NEW characters!

This show was lousy for MANY reasons, but the biggest was the agenda pushing using established characters over 30 years old.

I hope they bury this show deeper than the Star Wars Christmas Special and the Ewoks cartoon.
    I am as supportive to any motu and pop endeavors and i really wished this netflix show to be great and encompassing to all fans. But I just cannot recognize that She-Ra and it's cast, it felt it is only them by name and somehow it felt disrespectful.

For those who like the Netflix show, well good for you.

But I prefer the original She-Ra for me is the one true She-Ra.Any future iteration of her should take a lot of cues on that original She-Ra while adding development on her character and her story.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; August 15, 2020 at 10:54pm.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I personally don't see any disrespect, intentional or otherwise. The original POP will be beloved forever, and the New POP just takes the mythos one step further into current times and the need for equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Times have changed since the 80's and there are aspects of the mythos that need to be upgraded to reflect that fact. Admittedly, I do miss characters like Peekablue, Flutterina and Sweet Bee and the new designs and personalities of characters took a little getting used to I'll admit, but I grew to love the changes as much as the original.

At least we got to see Double Trouble who was an awesome character.

To be honest what DON'T you like?? I don't know of anyone that loves every single thing from a certain genre there is good and bad in EVERYTHING.

It's like a sport's team I don't think fans "love" their team when they loose with so disappointment..

I like alot of genre's but within those genre's there are things I think that are good,bad etc. I don't love EVERYTHING (Even if it's bad) that's just my reality or blind following....

- - - Updated - - -

I personally don't see any disrespect, intentional or otherwise. The original POP will be beloved forever, and the New POP just takes the mythos one step further into current times and the need for equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Times have changed since the 80's and there are aspects of the mythos that need to be upgraded to reflect that fact. Admittedly, I do miss characters like Peekablue, Flutterina and Sweet Bee and the new designs and personalities of characters took a little getting used to I'll admit, but I grew to love the changes as much as the original.

At least we got to see Double Trouble who was an awesome character.
    So what Melendy Britt say's should be thrown away as a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    To be honest what DON'T you like?? I don't know of anyone that loves every single thing from a certain genre there is good and bad in EVERYTHING.

It's like a sport's team I don't think fans "love" their team when they loose with so disappointment..

I like alot of genre's but within those genre's there are things I think that are good,bad etc. I don't love EVERYTHING (Even if it's bad) that's just my reality or blind following....

- - - Updated - - -

So what Melendy Britt say's should be thrown away as a joke?
    Melendy Britt has every right to her opinion and I respect her, I always have and always will. However, I have a different opinion of the series. You can still respect someone and not feel the same way they do as long as you take care to be respectful about it, which I am.

There are lots of people who love every aspect of a property, I am always honest, and this is how I genuinely feel. I did say I wish we had gotten to see Peekablue, Flutterina and Sweet Bee, and yes, I was disappointed in that area, but that doesn't make me dislike the new series in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    To anyone still defending it here's Melendy Britt stating the obvious:

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...7&d=1597540553
    This opinion of Melendy Britt has more weight to me than any others opinion.
    When the Netflix show is announced and I read somewhere that James Eatock thinks it a good series so at first that makes me excited and continue to be supportive of it because of James reputation with regards to Filmation cartoons. But in the end i just cannot recognize Netflix She-Ra, her world of Etheria, that Hordak and that Shadow Weaver and that humanoid cat lady.

Again IMHO.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

The diversity isn't hamfisted in the new "She-Ra"? You just stated it was in the above quote. But okay.

And Mattel really pushed this show, didn't they? Okay.

All the attention it got? It got a lot of attention by a young crowd, huh? And it has clearly lasted, huh? Okay.
    I said it was hamfisted in that crappy version of New Warriors.

Actually that attention has lasted going by the fact that demands for a season six have been trending on twitter lately, it still has a pretty populous sub Reddit and there is still fan art of it all over the place ect.

For God's sake pal I'm meant to be the autistic one, you shouldn't have worse reading comprehension than me.
    Last edited by A Dalek; August 16, 2020 at 07:04am.

Seems like Melendy Britt is being less critical of the new show so much as the attitude that people who prefer the old show to the new one have somehow formed a defective opinion and must be ridiculed for it. Of course "preference" does not equate as "dislike."
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    I said it was hamfisted in that crappy version of New Warriors.

Actually that attention has lasted going by the fact that demands for a season six have been trending on twitter lately, it still has a pretty populous sub Reddit and there is still fan art of it all over the place ect.

For God's sake pal I'm meant to be the autistic one, you shouldn't have worse reading comprehension than me.
    I well understood what you wrote. I get that you will defend this show no matter what and are an activist for it, and will insult the original show and those who like it, “pal.” This thing wouldn’t have breath if it weren’t for the original. Maybe you and this new thing’s creators should take some of Melendy Britt’s advice.

But you seem to miss what I stated in my other posts that DOES play into how things in this world change to appease certain people ONLY or changing ESTABLISHED things up to please certain people ONLY...Maybe you should re-check my posts...Ignoring FACTS will not change what is TRUTH...
    Last edited by Megalodon; August 16, 2020 at 02:47pm.

I well understood what you wrote. I get that you will defend this show no matter what and are an activist for it, and will insult the original show and those who like it, “pal.” This thing wouldn’t have breath if it weren’t for the original. Maybe you and this new thing’s creators should take some of Melendy Britt’s advice.
    Well one I'm pretty sure if I was activist for the show I would be calling it the best thing ever (like Mikey does), as oppose to what I've actualy said about it, you know a solid 7 out of 10 but nothing special and does nothing that it's inspirations (ATLA, Utena ect) didn't do better. Hell I wrote a pretty wordy paragraph criticising the show for that on the previous page.

And while I have made it clear that I think the original is pretty bad, I have never insulted the fanbase of the original or said they are wrong for liking it. I also find it pretty hypocritical of you to say those things, when you have constantly belittled and insulted the fanbase of the new show.

Heroic Warrior
    Well one I'm pretty sure if I was activist for the show I would be calling it the best thing ever (like Mikey does), as oppose to what I've actualy said about it, you know a solid 7 out of 10 but nothing special and does nothing that it's inspirations (ATLA, Utena ect) didn't do better. Hell I wrote a pretty wordy paragraph criticising the show for that on the previous page.

And while I have made it clear that I think the original is pretty bad, I have never insulted the fanbase of the original or said they are wrong for liking it. I also find it pretty hypocritical of you to say those things, when you have constantly belittled and insulted the fanbase of the new show.
    The fan base and creators of this thing who insult the old one are the biggest hypocrites. I won’t insult anyone for liking this show. It’s those who indulge in the same disrespectful behavior its creators have that is utterly hypocritical and worth every bit of rightful criticism. Otherwise, I can state how disrespectful this new thing is and how much it sucks all I want. That’s not a personal attack on any fan ....”pal.”

The fan base and creators of this thing who insult the old one are the biggest hypocrites. I won’t insult anyone for liking this show. It’s those who indulge in the same disrespectful behavior its creators have that is utterly hypocritical and worth every bit of rightful criticism. Otherwise, I can state how disrespectful this new thing is and how much it sucks all I want. That’s not a personal attack on any fan ....”pal.”
    You and a lot of of other people have been insisting that those who like, only like it for *** reasons and rather than just accept that they genuinely like the show.

At the end of the day I see way more of fans of the original indulging in disrespectful behaviour than I do new fans.Hell the majority of the new fans don't really seem to care about the original one way or the other.

I do feel that the old school fans very much seem to resent the idea of there being new blood in the MoTU PoP fandom and would rather have the fandom remain their exclusive little club.

Everything you post is a hypocritical and personal attack of some kind.

I LOVE both the original series and the new one equally, both bring amazing things into the mythos.

Heroic Warrior
    You and a lot of of other people have been insisting that those who like, only like it for *** reasons and rather than just accept that they genuinely like the show.

At the end of the day I see way more of fans of the original indulging in disrespectful behaviour than I do new fans.Hell the majority of the new fans don't really seem to care about the original one way or the other.

I do feel that the old school fans very much seem to resent the idea of there being new blood in the MoTU PoP fandom and would rather have the fandom remain their exclusive little club.
    I see it the other way around. You're in this thread all the time. You're a huge fan of this thing, it's quite obvious. It's also obvious this thing has a niche audience, nowhere near the levels the original reached, with the same 1,000 or so people voicing their love of it, retweeting, posting, and making it trend on Twitter. Cool, you like it. But many don't for the reasons stated. And that includes fans who also liked the 200x version of He-Man (and She-Ra in what little was shown), the "old school fans", as you stated, because most people who have issue with this new thing, also liked 2000x. And if these upcoming new MOTU/She-Ra shows and creators are respectful to the source material and creators, "old school" fans will like them as well. It's easier to pigeon-hole people you don't agree with over what is untrue - fans of all ages will like it if done right. If not, we get this thing, or the new Disney Star Wars, which shattered the fandom in half (or more than half). In neither case, were they targeting the fandom at large.

- - - Updated - - -

Everything you post is a hypocritical and personal attack of some kind.
    Kind of like when someone or multiple people disagrees with you and it's always a "personal attack" or "coordinated attack." There have been multiple times when multiple people try to explain things to you in an overly respectful way, providing evidence, and practically most everyone in the thread doing this, but you refuse to listen to other point-of-views aside from your own, chalking it up to "personal attacks" or "coordinated attacks" when everyone (or most) were actually trying to reason with you.
    Last edited by RockinHard; August 16, 2020 at 04:15pm.

Kind of like when someone or multiple people disagrees with you and it's always a "personal attack" or "coordinated attack." There have been multiple times when multiple people try to explain things to you in an overly respectful way, providing evidence, and practically most everyone in the thread doing this, but you refuse to listen to other point-of-views aside from your own, chalking it up to "personal attacks" or "coordinated attacks" when everyone (or most) were actually trying to reason with you.
    That's because with that particular group it IS a coordinated and personal attack and we both know it. I would hardly call that respectful or reasonable in any way.

Heroic Warrior
    That's because with that particular group it IS a coordinated and personal attack and we both know it. I would hardly call that respectful or reasonable in any way.
    No, people disagreed with you. You chalked it up to "personal attack" or "coordinated attack." Are they all meeting at Starbucks or on Zoom, wringing their hands together, then saying, "You know what we got to do, guys and gals - we got to target Mikey on the He-Man.org forms! Yes, that's it! No one else. Just him!"

Maybe, just maybe, when you inexplicably bash male-led movies, calling them misogynistic, a large demographic of people who love good male-lead movies are going to take issue or question you.

Or worse, when you state Disney does not bend to the Chinese Communist Party's desires (who oppress minorities in actual concentration camps) and call those who provide you with easily-found evidence "bigoted," people are going to take issue with that, and when you double down and call that a "coordinated attack" against you, it makes your claims all the more absurd and unbelievable.

No, people disagreed with you. You chalked it up to "personal attack" or "coordinated attack." Are they all meeting at Starbucks or on Zoom, wringing their hands together, then saying, "You know what we got to do, guys and gals - we got to target Mikey on the He-Man.org forms! Yes, that's it! No one else. Just him!"

Maybe, just maybe, when you inexplicably bash male-led movies, calling them misogynistic, a large demographic of people who love good male-lead movies are going to take issue or question you.

Or worse, when you state Disney does not bend to the Chinese Communist Party's desires (who oppress minorities in actual concentration camps) and call those who provide you with easily-found evidence "bigoted," people are going to take issue with that, and when you double down and call that a "coordinated attack" against you, it makes your claims all the more absurd and unbelievable.
    You can say whatever you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the same people attacking me over and over again IS a coordinated attack. I stand by everything I say.

Heroic Warrior
    You can say whatever you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the same people attacking me over and over again IS a coordinated attack. I stand by everything I say.
    I know. You won't regard anyone's point-of-view who disagrees with you but your own.