Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think this show will have a lasting impact for MOTU?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    It's nice to see someone else appreciate the diversity, equality and inclusiveness of the series. Not all millenials are toxic, any more than all pre-millenials are bigoted. You get good and bad in every group.
    4 females who all have the same sexual orientation ? Where is this mythical diversity ?

The Horde Prime clones is a much better example of diversity , equality and inclusiveness when they let little sister join their cool club .

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    4 females who all have the same sexual orientation ? Where is this mythical diversity ?

The Horde Prime clones is a much better example of diversity , equality and inclusiveness when they let little sister join their cool club .
    Uh, there is a clear mix of gay and straight characters, that is DIVERSITY...obviously.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Uh, there is a clear mix of gay and straight characters, that is DIVERSITY...obviously.

Well okay if we are switching to everyone of importance . Its a girls club with 3 token guys . Still no diversity . Poor Bow has to cover his breasts when he baths with his friends , thats oppression .

The Hordak evil horde is a better example of diversity equality and inclusiveness.

Well okay if we are switching to everyone of importance . Its a girls club with 3 token guys . Still no diversity . Poor Bow has to cover his breasts when he baths with his friends , thats oppression .

The Hordak evil horde is a better example of diversity equality and inclusiveness.
    I would hardly call Bow oppressed when he is treated as an equal by the Princesses, and there are still Sea Hawk and Swift Wind who aren't oppressed either. The females may outnumber the males, but they don't oppress them.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

The females may outnumber the males, but they don't oppress them.
    That's called the opposite of diversity .

An extreme number of one group does lead to negative situations for the smaller group of different folk living in close quarters such as ritual public humiliation to remind them of their second class status .
    An example of this would be forcing male members to cover their chests during unisex bathing .

#Its okay to be topless .

That's called the opposite of diversity .

An extreme number of one group does lead to negative situations for the smaller group of different folk living in close quarters such as ritual public humiliation to remind them of their second class status .
    An example of this would be forcing male members to cover their chests during unisex bathing .

#Its okay to be topless .
    None of this is even explored in this series, you're reading too much into this hypothesis.

Umm random speculation is sort of the point of wasting our time on fan forums

On topic. Everything has an impact. Netflix She-Ra might have to some and none to others.

But a "lasting" impact? I doubt it, if we look at the very little attention this thread has, it has very little.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    On topic. Everything has an impact. Netflix She-Ra might have to some and none to others.

But a "lasting" impact? I doubt it, if we look at the very little attention this thread has, it has very little.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I think that depends on what you define as Impact. For example Transformers Animated portrayed Ratchet as a grumpy old man similar to Kup and series that came after that (Transformers Prime) also went with that kind of depiction of him. This rolled back around to IDW's comics that were more G1 inspired. While they maintained Ratchet's affable personality from G1, the idea of him being an old guy who had seen it all got incorporated into his character and ever since then it has pretty much become a recurring trait in Ratchet's portrayals from then on.

So while not necessarily their overall characterisation, I certainly see certain aspects being incorporated into future versions, in similar vain to the example I just gave. Even ones that are predominantly based on the Filmation version.

Also Netflix She-Ra leaned a bit more into the magical girl, aspect of She-Ra, so depending how far things go, I could actualy see a future show (more specifically one aimed at a current audience rather than fans of the original), going even further with those aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    To people who grew up with the original MoTU no, but to people in general absolutely.

The Karate is one of those classics that every generation knows and loves.

MoTU by contrast fell into relative obscurity after it's initial run and was never really able to regain cultural relevancy. As I said beyond it's initial generation of fans, it was either forgotten about or remembered as the punchline gay line gay jokes.

You can talk about something being beloved by the MoTU fanbase, but at the end of the day the MoTU fanbase is a niche thing and arguably has been since the mid 80's.

I don't think MoTU fans are a bad crowd overall, but I do think there is a problem with refusing to accept, that the franchise isn't the phenomenon it was in the early 80's.

A big part of the issue of MoTU not gaining much traction seems to be the fault Mattel themselves because they seem contemptuous of the idea of even trying. It's taken them nearly 20 years to give it another shot after the 03 series. I don't know if it's the stigma the franchise has among the younger generation or them being scared off by the two times they tried not working out or weather they just couldn't be bothered and went with the easy route of it being a nostalgia brand. But one way or another their near exclusive focus on MoTU being a nostalgia brand probably did more harm than good for the brand.
    No disrespect to Miyagi and Daniel San, I just think comparing it in a He-Man forum with MOTU having the advantage of home territory is gutsy.

My sisters and I love the movie,the overall story and the song and main stars of that movie, we even have posters on our small house. But we got over them quite quickly with all those karate like themed movies that eventually made on that decade. Both are great recognizable aspect of the 80's though.

IMHO I still think MOTU stands the test of time better than the Karate Kid, well at least for me, MOTU still brings the nostalgia back unlike the Karate Kid.

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    No disrespect to Miyagi and Daniel San, I just think comparing it in a He-Man forum with MOTU having the advantage of home territory is gutsy.

My sisters and I love the movie,the overall story and the song and main stars of that movie, we even have posters on our small house. But we got over them quite quickly with all those karate like themed movies that eventually made on that decade. Both are great recognizable aspect of the 80's though.

IMHO I still think MOTU stands the test of time better than the Karate Kid, well at least for me, MOTU still brings the nostalgia back unlike the Karate Kid.

The problem there is that you are looking at it purely from a nostalgic perspective. As someone who is in my early 30's I can say that just about everyone from my generation knows about and has seen the Karate Kid, while certainly can't say the same for MoTU.

If one wants to compare similar franchises to MoT, then I would say Transformers withstood the test of time better, it was certainly able to maintain cross generational success longer (and no I'm just talking about Bay's crappy films). One could even argue Power Rangers did so, especially considering it's technically older than MoTU (depending on if you consider Power Rangers and Super Sentai the same thing).

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    The problem there is that you are looking at it purely from a nostalgic perspective. As someone who is in my early 30's I can say that just about everyone from my generation knows about and has seen the Karate Kid, while certainly can't say the same for MoTU.

If one wants to compare similar franchises to MoT, then I would say Transformers withstood the test of time better, it was certainly able to maintain cross generational success longer (and no I'm just talking about Bay's crappy films). One could even argue Power Rangers did so, especially considering it's technically older than MoTU (depending on if you consider Power Rangers and Super Sentai the same thing).
    Ok

Transformers withstood the test of time better, it was certainly able to maintain cross generational success longer
    I disagree , Transformers brand Like My Little Pony was fortunate enough to have HASBRO keep chugging out toys and media content regardless of weather or not it was a success .

I disagree , Transformers brand Like My Little Pony was fortunate enough to have HASBRO keep chugging out toys and media content regardless of weather or not it was a success .
    The thing there is. Beast Wars was a big success with kids of the 90's, the Unicron Trilogy was a big success with 2000's era kids, Bayformers as dumb as they are were a hit with with their intended demographic of horney teens, while TF Animated and Prime were also quite successful. In fact I don't think it was until recent years that TF started to peter out when it came to gaining younger fans.

And while you bring MLP, it did ultimately catch on with the millennial generation to the point were FiM ultimately ended up eclipsing the rest of the franchise.

Also as I mentioned Super Sentai/Power Rangers was able to be a success from the mid 70's through to the mid 2010's when it finally started to peter out and even then it's sister franchises Kamen Rider and Pretty Cure are still going strong and are popular with each successive generation.

By contrast with the possible acceptation of Netlfix She-Ra, MoTU and PoP have consistently flopped with the intended next generation of fans.

The Transformer success stories you mentioned ? There is like at least 10-15 other transformer series that were horrible failures . When you toss out 20 or 30 versions , a couple of them will be popular , making transformers a generational success and a house name brand despite all its failures . Thats a nice story of never give up . Its a story of dont avoid risks , manage them .

2 She Ra toons . 80,s She Ra and Brokeback Mountain She Ra is not a failure . Its abandonment .

There is a market for this . I recall explaining HeMan riding a giant armoured tiger to a 7 year old karate student whose jaw dropped just imagining that awesome image .

Its a crying shame that living alien robots that can disguise as a pizza and mutant turtles that eat pizza are given more love and attention and are as famous as Mickey Mouse .
    Last edited by Lokus; September 27, 2020 at 07:12am.

The Transformer success stories you mentioned ? There is like at least 10-15 other transformer series that were horrible failures . When you toss out 20 or 30 versions , a couple of them will be popular , making transformers a generational success and a house name brand despite all its failures . Thats a nice story of never give up . Its a story of dont avoid risks , manage them .

2 She Ra toons . 80,s She Ra and Brokeback Mountain She Ra is not a failure . Its abandonment .

There is a market for this . I recall explaining HeMan riding a giant armoured tiger to a 7 year old karate student whose jaw dropped just imagining that awesome image .

Its a crying shame that living alien robots that can disguise as a pizza and mutant turtles that eat pizza are given more love and attention and are as famous as Mickey Mouse .
    10 to 15 other transformers series? That's kind of an exaggeration if we are going by the tv series, which only had two or three failures. The list get's bigger if we count the anime/comics/nostalgia bate web series. Bute even they had more success than failures.

Also why are you ignoring the other franchises I bought up? The Toei super hero trinity of Super Sentai/Power Ranger, Kamen Rider and Pretty Cure were all able to maintain a consistent success over a longer period of time than MoTU/PoP did (especially considering that two of those franchises are older than Motu).

There's also the Gundam franchise which predates Motu/PoP by a year or two and is still consistently successful today, in spite of the original series doing poorly in ratings back when it debuted (it doing well in toysales lead to the series being recut into a trilogy of movies that ended up being successful and acted as a launching point for the rest of the franchise).

And yes I'm sure MoTU would have done better than it did, in the long run if Mattel didn't give up at the first hurdle every time they took a shot at relaunching it, but I still think a lot of other franchises have ultimately had much better longevity than it and probably still would have even if Mattel had stuck at it.

I dont follow your point .....sorry . I watched lots of stinky transformers , my little bro is a fan . I watched 3 original japanese transformers , like super sentai and general anime the attraction is the unfamiliar culture tropes .

Gundam , super sentai and power rangers are successful and well known between generations because of the quantity produced usually most suck . Gundam is the exception , I would say maybe only one or three were stinkers . There was lots of horrible power rangers especially when disney took over for a while .

I only watched 2 Super Sentai so i cannot really comment on that . It was alien and different which made it interesting to me . I wanted to compare the Dino Sentai to original rangers and I watched Jetman .
    Last edited by Lokus; September 30, 2020 at 04:46am.

In regards to Transformers let's look at how successful they were, after G1.

Beast Wars was a big success and made a whole new generation of fans from 90's kids, Beast Machines not so much, RiD was a filler series but did well enough. As we move into the Unicron trilogy Armada started off weak but improved as time went on, Energon sucked, while Cybetron was generally fun. In spite of it's uneven quality the trilogy did it's job of garnering a new generation of fans. Then we move into the late 2000's and early 2010's were TF Animated and Prime were both good shows and sucsessful, it wasn't really until RiD 2015 and Cyberverse were the quality became consistently underwhelming.

There was only really one bad Power Rangers season during the Disney era (Operation Overdrive) the rest were decent and at worse mediocre. The real stinky era was the Neo Saban Era, were every season other than Dino Thunder sucked. Also can you be a bit more specific, there's quite a few Dinosaur themed Sentai/Power Rangers.

As someone who's watched a fair few Kamen Rider seasons in my day, I can safely say that the 70's era stuff has decent stories but the presentation has aged horribly and Kamen Rider Black from the late 80's was awesome. The 2000's were pretty uneven, as it was awkward phase of trying to figure out what they wanted the brand to be in the modern age, but the 2010's shows were for the most part consistently good, in spite of having a bit of an overload when it comes to items that exist to shill merch.

In regards to Precure/Pretty Cure, I've only seen a few entries so far, but what I've seen certainly backs up the assessment people have that they are generally good shows and that the better entries (more specificly Heartcatch Precure) are even great shows, with there only really being one stinker among the bunch, while the other lesser entries are at worst mediocre.

My main point is that even with the quantity of productions, they wouldn't survive without being able to at least consistently grab the next generations of fans and for the productions that succeed in it that regard to outnumber the ones that fail (because they wouldn't make enough money to justify said quantity if they didn't). And to be willing to take risks and change things up to suet the times.

In regards to MoTU/PoP, while the lack of trying in that regard (as I said Mattel have a bad habit of giving up at the first hurdle and not trying again for over a decade), but out of the three times they tried (New Adventures, 03 He-Man and Netflix She-Ra), Netlfix She-Ra was the only one that really had any success in that regard. The combination of the lack of trying on Mattel's part and the lack of success when they tried also created another problem. MoTU due to a lot of the goofier aspects that didn't age well, ended up turning the franchise into the but of a lot of jokes and that created a stigma around the brand that makes it hard to get the younger generations to see it as anything other than a joke. The other brands I mentioned managed to avoid this stigma, by having enough successful modern interpretations to avoid the originals colouring the younger generations perceptions of those brands.

Do you think this show will have a lasting impact for MOTU?

I think if anything it will have a negative effect.
    The original 80's cartoon stands up better even with the kids of today.

Kids tend to look up to older heros, the remake's characters are 5 to 10 years younger than the original.

Social politics really hamper the Netflix show.
    It seems more catered to adults that enjoy cartoons with an agenda rather than ones that are entertaining.

Any future POP remake attempts will end up scrapped before they start.

Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper View Post

Kids tend to look up to older heros, the remake's characters are 5 to 10 years younger than the original.

About the age thing. Netflix Adora is meant to be 17-18 while Filmation Adora was either in her late teens or early Twenties. Meaning Netflix Adora is only slightly younger than Filmation Adora. Frosta is the only one who seems to be significantly younger than her original version.

As for kids not liking younger heroes? There's a lot of popular kids franchises out there that had kids and teens as the main heroes. I mentioned Precure a couple of times in this thread in a discussion regarding long running franchises so I will use that as an example, all the main characters in that franchise are teenagers.

Of course aside from that we have stuff like Harry Potter, Avatar The Last Airbender, Ben 10, Spider-man, Tin Tin ect.

Not to say that kids don't enjoy stories with older characters, but if they didn't like stories with characters close to their age, none of the above would have been successful.

Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper View Post

Social politics really hamper the Netflix show.
    It seems more catered to adults that enjoy cartoons with an agenda rather than ones that are entertaining.

Any future POP remake attempts will end up scrapped before they start.
    I completely disagree with you, progressive, diverse and inclusive themes can only HELP a series or movie. That's what makes shows like this so brilliant.

People want to sit down and watch a tv show , to be entertained and forget about an unfair reality oversaturated with politics .

People want to sit down and watch a tv show , to be entertained and forget about an unfair reality oversaturated with politics .
    You absolutely can sit down and watch this show without any agenda being shoved in your face. If you think these characters being their natural selves as depicted in this show is an "agenda", that is your problem. This was an adventure animated series that happened to have LGBT characters in it; never was there any "oversaturation of politics;" not in one single episode.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    You absolutely can sit down and watch this show without any agenda being shoved in your face. If you think these characters being their natural selves as depicted in this show is an "agenda", that is your problem. This was an adventure animated series that happened to have LGBT characters in it; never was there any "oversaturation of politics;" not in one single episode.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Perfectly well-said Wayne-Klops, I completely agree with you!

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    I completely disagree with you, progressive, diverse and inclusive themes can only HELP a series or movie. That's what makes shows like this so brilliant.
    If pedophilia, bestiality and incest is your idea of progressive, diverse and inclusive.
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!