Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mega Construx Unofficial Visual Reference

Quote Originally Posted by Lanace View Post
    Excellent work Rexerm🤩
    Do you mind if I share your bios on a French fan page?
    Thank you! Absolutely, plese share them!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahthatsme1973 View Post
    Amazing work! It really helps me set apart what in the world were the differences between all the variants so thank you for that!

Does anyone know if the Man-E-Faces came packed with anything but the human face showing?

For Zombie He-Man, the last sentence mentioning his power sword is missing the word with.

Can I ask what kind of camera youre using?

Great job!
    Yep, the main reason I made these was to help keep track of the variants. Very confusing after a while! I'm not sure on the Man-E-Faces question, as I only bought one myself and didn't pay attention to the face before opening it. Thanks for catching that error, also! Got the fix uploading now. I use a Canon Rebel T7 EOS 1500D camera for this .... which I barely know how to use, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by rexerm View Post
    Yep, the main reason I made these was to help keep track of the variants. Very confusing after a while! I'm not sure on the Man-E-Faces question, as I only bought one myself and didn't pay attention to the face before opening it. Thanks for catching that error, also! Got the fix uploading now. I use a Canon Rebel T7 EOS 1500D camera for this .... which I barely know how to use, frankly.
    Sorry for the late response but I bought 2 sets of the last wave of carded singles and they are still sealed. Both Man-E-Faces have their human face shown in the package. So hopefully, there is not a variant with a different face showing, as this wave was pretty much an Amazon exclusive in the US and the availability did not last more than a few months.
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

My Feedback Thread

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwavempl View Post
    Sorry for the late response but I bought 2 sets of the last wave of carded singles and they are still sealed. Both Man-E-Faces have their human face shown in the package. So hopefully, there is not a variant with a different face showing, as this wave was pretty much an Amazon exclusive in the US and the availability did not last more than a few months.
    I can add that the 3 unopened sets I have all have the human face showing (one has only half the human face showing, but I suspect it was jostled in transit).

Widget
    Thanks for this thread, it realy helps weeding out the bootleg figures found on ebay and chinese website. All those repainted Beastman, into mossman. It also helps out with collecting in general, since Mattel Europe/Mattel Benelux still refuse to import this line fully into the European mainland, leading to escalating prices on local versions of amazon and other e-stores, it still tries to sell skeletor heads for 69 euro........ Now we have a perfect list to keep track of things.
    I do wonder though, why is classics cited when a minifig seems to be based on the vintage version? for example, the mcx Hordak has a more white face without a silver line around the neck ridge (or whatever that thing is called). Nor has it the silver line around the arm openings in the armor. The crossbow is whitte instead of grey. It resembles the vintage toy more than the classics line or is that just me?
    Last edited by Casual euro fan; June 28, 2022 at 03:41pm.

Widget
    Pictures of snake mountain have been posted, it looks great!

strange, it seems to be missing 2 figures. A transparent he-man and prince Adam or were they just placeholders for something else. To be fair, i don't mind, There is already a Heman figure includes (and we have plenty of he-man figures already, even 2 Prince Adams, I personaly wouldn't mind an Orco, buzz off, Clawfull, whiplash, etc.
    The castle Grayskull set had many small parts to build the walls, this set however seems to have large&flat purple pieces to build the interior walls

Then again, i would love some more eleborate playsets fully realized instead of a skelettor (egg)head set XD

Pros:
    Trap jaw now has shoulder articulation in his mechanical arm, nice Ÿ™‚
    The outside looks spot on.
    It looks like the tentacle pit and table can be movedŸ‘! maybe the throne can be taken out too.
    webstor's first apearance
    Same for Ram-man/Krass, finaly!
    A somewhat hard to get version of Evil-Lyn, nice!
    A new version of skeletor, that might not be able to sit on that throne with that backpack (luckely we had plenty of other versions so far that hopely can sit on the throne)
    A new version of he-man in power armor.

Con's
    The throne level could use an extension so ol' bone-head can adress his minions seated around the table. (some smaller brick build chairs for them to sit on?)
    The 9 printed faces on the purple rock pieces didn't look so good Ÿ™ (8 inside and i spotted 2 on the outside)
    The box picture, looking up shows the"cave entrance" ceiling, it could have been coveres up better, maybe some vines?
    The "lava" looks weird, even in the picture taken from the side.
    All the angles of the shots look deliberate, almost like they try to hide the uglier parts of the build. Or is it just me?
    Where is the net?
    Last edited by Casual euro fan; July 2, 2022 at 01:14pm. Reason: found the rope

Quote Originally Posted by Casual euro fan View Post
    where is the rope for webstor?
    You can see it on the front of the box.

Widget
    thanks, found it. And another printed face, this time on the gate leading to the trap door.

Many of the initial images i saw were of the blurry kind, almost made me think they were fan creations. The backdrop on the box art and mono-tone purple of the walls in particular gave me the idea it might be a fan rendering.

Pictures of snake mountain have been posted, it looks great!

strange, it seems to be missing 2 figures. A transparent he-man and prince Adam or were they just placeholders for something else. To be fair, i don't mind, There is already a Heman figure includes (and we have plenty of he-man figures already, even 2 Prince Adams, I personaly wouldn't mind an Orco, buzz off, Clawfull, whiplash, etc.
    The castle Grayskull set had many small parts to build the walls, this set however seems to have large&flat purple pieces to build the interior walls

Then again, i would love some more eleborate playsets fully realized instead of a skelettor (egg)head set XD

Pros:
    Trap jaw now has shoulder articulation in his mechanical arm, nice 🙂
    The outside looks spot on.
    It looks like the tentacle pit and table can be moved👍! maybe the throne can be taken out too.
    webstor's first apearance
    Same for Ram-man/Krass, finaly!
    A somewhat hard to get version of Evil-Lyn, nice!
    A new version of skeletor, that might not be able to sit on that throne with that backpack (luckely we had plenty of other versions so far that hopely can sit on the throne)
    A new version of he-man in power armor.

Con's
    The throne level could use an extension so ol' bone-head can adress his minions seated around the table. (some smaller brick build chairs for them to sit on?)
    The 9 printed faces on the purple rock pieces didn't look so good 🙁 (8 inside and i spotted 2 on the outside)
    The box picture, looking up shows the"cave entrance" ceiling, it could have been coveres up better, maybe some vines?
    The "lava" looks weird, even in the picture taken from the side.
    All the angles of the shots look deliberate, almost like they try to hide the uglier parts of the build. Or is it just me?
    Where is the net?
    I think it looks great too. 2 things I'd change:
    The prisoner shackles look a little short. I wish they were a bit longer.
    I also wish they paint the eyes of the wolf bat whatever monster some color, so they stand out more.

Just when I thought I was out...

... they pull me back in.

Rexerm, I blame you. I just spent the last hour poring over your work. These fantastic pictures, including such precise detail about how the variants were inspired, has gotten me to get back into MOTU. I am currently selling my entire MOTUC collection and Castle Grayskull (along with other collections), but now I feel like I can "get it all back" at a much smaller scale (makes the girlfriend happy), and compatible with the only other collection I'm keeping - LEGO!

The only thing I would suggest / request for the guide is adding the original retail prices. As some of these are still available, it can help people know when they're getting a deal vs. when they're dealing with a scalper.

I am grabbing a bunch of this on Amazon today, and will be grabbing that Castle Grayskull soon.

I'd like to echo the requests throughout the thread for PDF versions of this (make sure you "sign" them so no one steals your work), because these reference guides are a delight and should be saved!
    =====================
    Castle Grayskull is my summer cabin.

Thanks for this thread, it realy helps weeding out the bootleg figures found on ebay and chinese website. All those repainted Beastman, into mossman. It also helps out with collecting in general, since Mattel Europe/Mattel Benelux still refuse to import this line fully into the European mainland, leading to escalating prices on local versions of amazon and other e-stores, it still tries to sell skeletor heads for 69 euro........ Now we have a perfect list to keep track of things.
    I do wonder though, why is classics cited when a minifig seems to be based on the vintage version? for example, the mcx Hordak has a more white face without a silver line around the neck ridge (or whatever that thing is called). Nor has it the silver line around the arm openings in the armor. The crossbow is whitte instead of grey. It resembles the vintage toy more than the classics line or is that just me?
    Sorry for the late reply -- did not see this one! Skeletor heads for 69 is *nuts*! To answer your question regarding Vintage vs Classics: generally, I assume MCX is intended to copy the Classics version unless there's good reason to think otherwise. For example, the figures that came with Battle Bones were definitely intended to be Vintage-styled, rather than Classics, which was part of what made it a special con-only release. With figures like Hordak (or Battle Armor Skeletor or Roboto), it's getting harder to tell the intent. So, I'll still default to Classics unless there's something that really calls out a different inspiration. The white crossbow does make me pause, but given that the rest of the figures in the set were definitely non-vintage-inspired, I went with Classics.

Quote Originally Posted by loolar View Post
    ... they pull me back in.

Rexerm, I blame you. I just spent the last hour poring over your work. These fantastic pictures, including such precise detail about how the variants were inspired, has gotten me to get back into MOTU. I am currently selling my entire MOTUC collection and Castle Grayskull (along with other collections), but now I feel like I can "get it all back" at a much smaller scale (makes the girlfriend happy), and compatible with the only other collection I'm keeping - LEGO!

The only thing I would suggest / request for the guide is adding the original retail prices. As some of these are still available, it can help people know when they're getting a deal vs. when they're dealing with a scalper.

I am grabbing a bunch of this on Amazon today, and will be grabbing that Castle Grayskull soon.

I'd like to echo the requests throughout the thread for PDF versions of this (make sure you "sign" them so no one steals your work), because these reference guides are a delight and should be saved!
    Yep, that's exactly what got me into this line: it's a great miniature MOTU collection that'll take up less space and still looks really cool. (though, if I owned MOTUC Grayskull... woo, I don't think I could part with it).

Adding in the original price is a great idea. Next time I update (likely, when the SDCC set arrives in the mail), I'll look into it. Prices are not something I've paid attention to, so hopefully I can dig that info out of the Internet.

For a PDF, I'm always a bit hesitant, given the.... complaints.... on Wakko's MOTUC Guide (people would spend a lot of money to print it, then he'd change things to update, and folks were upset). For sure, once the line is done, I will post such a thing. But, I am currently constantly tweaking things, even on old entries (and the price thing will be a great example of this). Plus, once Snake Mountain comes out, I plan to re-do Grayskull's pages at the same time. Not happy with those.

Yep, that's exactly what got me into this line: it's a great miniature MOTU collection that'll take up less space and still looks really cool. (though, if I owned MOTUC Grayskull... woo, I don't think I could part with it).
    I bought the MEGA Castle Grayskull on Prime Day when it dipped just below $250 again, and I have built the first two phases (drawbridge tower with Sorceress throne and right tower with dungeon, computer, and space suit), and it really scratches the itch. I wish I had my MOTUC Grayskull out to compare, but I carefully disassembled and reboxed long ago. I'm loving the MEGA build, since I largely am selling most of my collections to focus on LEGO, and this is close enough.

I'm particularly enchanted by those mini figures - the face paint on Sorceress is amazing! I've had the six minifigures set up in my build area so I can take pictures and pose them as the build progresses.

I also bought a few of the sets that were cheap during Prime day - got the Roton, Point Dread, and Battle Ram for super cheap. And of course I'm got MEGA Snake Mountain ordered, which is what really got me back in - I figured I could never do the MOTUC scale one, but this I can handle. That said, the MEGA Castle Grayskull is bigger than I expected, even though I'd seen it in person (good buddy has had it for a year or two now). I'll be getting the Monstroid and Land Shark and some of the collected mini figure packs once the cash reserves come back.

Adding in the original price is a great idea. Next time I update (likely, when the SDCC set arrives in the mail), I'll look into it. Prices are not something I've paid attention to, so hopefully I can dig that info out of the Internet.
    It's not easy to find, but I was inspired to ask by the website Bricklink which always lists the original retail price of LEGO sets. It helps to put into perspective the cost before dropping a ton on something.

For a PDF, I'm always a bit hesitant, given the.... complaints.... on Wakko's MOTUC Guide (people would spend a lot of money to print it, then he'd change things to update, and folks were upset). For sure, once the line is done, I will post such a thing. But, I am currently constantly tweaking things, even on old entries (and the price thing will be a great example of this). Plus, once Snake Mountain comes out, I plan to re-do Grayskull's pages at the same time. Not happy with those.
    Makes sense on the PDF... I'd just like some kind of visual guide that I could refer to offline or on paper, but I understand your hesitancy. You could always put a disclaimer that the PDF will be updated as new information becomes available - print at your own risk!

Thanks again for all this work!
    =====================
    Castle Grayskull is my summer cabin.

Use an app like MyCollections.
    I like all the figs, except the ones I don't.

My WANT/TRADE LIST