Thread: Names ending in "OR"

Heroic Warrior

Names ending in "OR"

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the OR thing. Was this something specific to MOTU or were there other characters from other lines of toys/series that also used this OR at the end of their characters' names? Is there more to it (like old folklore, or maybe it relates to mythic Gods or something like that?)

SkeletOR
    King RandOR
    WebstOR
    SpikOR
    NinJOR
    GrizzlOR
    RattlOR
    Tung LashOR

To me adding "OR" is just personification of general noun, adjective and verb, inclined to male gender to be a proper noun than common noun. Seems taking que to normal use of English noun.

Illustration/ illustrate to illustrator
    curate to curator
    war to warrior

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Stinkor sounds waaay cooler than Stinker .

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Stinkor sounds waaay cooler than Stinker .
    But Webster sound smarter than Webstor.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Court Magician
    I don't mind "or" names, except one...Fang-Or is the one name that I can't stand. There are so many other, more clever names they could have come up with for him.

Panthor at Point Dread Old Bolty-Neck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpi View Post
    Just wondering what everyone thinks about the OR thing. Was this something specific to MOTU or were there other characters from other lines of toys/series that also used this OR at the end of their characters' names?
    If you're asking whether any others exist in other toylines, sure -- Serpentor (GI Joe, 1986) and Devastator (Transformer, 1985) come to mind, but MOTU certainly leaned into that "or" suffix enough to help cement an association between MOTU and recurring names with "or" and the end, and sometimes "ar"

Is there more to it (like old folklore, or maybe it relates to mythic Gods or something like that?)
    Not to my knowledge.

I'm pretty sure that at the time I got into MOTU, Skeletor was the one and only character in MOTU with the "or" name-suffix.

In the commercial above, a young actor declares "Skeletor is his enemy", and I believe I saw this commercial at least once, because of the following weird little memory. I knew the character was named Skeletor, but my ears or my brain at age 7 must have had a problem parsing the spoken words "Skeletor" and "is," and I remember wondering to myself, why did that kid in the commercial say Skeletaurus? Because the character might have been new at the time, but they wouldn't air a commercial where the actor was misspeaking an advertised product's name, surely. Anyway, the name I thought the actor was saying sounded dinosaur-like, and, y'know, the image of fossilized dino skeletons came forth to further associate Skeletor with dinosaurs for a little while for me, way way back then.

Skeletor was of course a good profit-earning toy for Mattel, and he had a killer name which must have helped sales. MOTU is one of those properties where the earliest toys out of the gate got the best names, generally. Seems like the other "-or" names were of the try-to-imitate-what-worked-before type of pattern. Either that or it could be like how a lot of Superman supporting cast characters have the initials "L.L." -- the creators started with one, then another came along, and the team creating names saw the similarity and thought it would be a kick to continue adding to that list -- for funsies, for the lolz.
    Of course there are more important things than toys, cartoons, movies, comics, and so forth. That's obviously true. I assume this is an understanding shared by everyone here, and that therefore my participation in a discussion thread is not interpreted as a sign that I am lacking in the aforementioned understanding. Thank you for observing that courtesy.

My Mega Construx gallery

For MY ENTIRE CHILDHOOD I thought Faker's name was "Fakor," and I always pronounced it Fake-orr. When I finally saw a MOC packaging and saw that it was Faker, I was a bit disappointed. Fakor sounds like he would beat the crap outta Faker!

Heroic Warrior
    SkeletOR
    King RandOR
    WebstOR
    SpikOR
    NinJOR
    GrizzlOR
    RattlOR
    Tung LashOR
    StinkOR
    DragstOR
    EldOR

Quote Originally Posted by tpi View Post
    SkeletOR
    King RandOR
    WebstOR
    SpikOR
    NinJOR
    GrizzlOR
    RattlOR
    Tung LashOR
    StinkOR
    DragstOR
    EldOR
    KeldOR
    MosquitOR
    GwildOR
    StridOR
    TuskOR
    VikOR
    Mighty SpectOR
    GygOR
    PanthOR
    Fang-OR
    MegatOR
    NegatOR
    Last edited by depp76; May 19, 2020 at 09:59pm.

Heroic Warrior
    awesome!!! that gets our list up to:

KeldOR
    MosquitOR
    GwildOR
    StridOR
    TuskOR
    VikOR
    Mighty SpectOR
    GygOR
    PanthOR
    Fang-OR