Thread: Mosquitor and the Green Gun

Mosquitor and the Green Gun

Hello all,

Out of curiosity, I purchased a loose Mosquitor off eBay with a green gun, claimed to be vintage. I haven't been able to find any discussion of a green gun on this site (although I'm new and still learning how to search the forums). A green gun wasn't mentioned in the Battle Ram blog, either. I thought I would share some characteristics of the gun, and if it provides useful information to help other collectors, then great. If it's a fake, well, so be it.

The gun is sage green and made of a harder, glossier plastic then the standard purple version. Both guns are stamped Mattel 1986 with number 1191-2258. The purple version is marked with a number "1" while the green version is marked with a number "3". No COO.

The gun looks a bit brighter and limey in this attached pic, but in ordinary light it's more muted.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...&thumb=1&stc=1

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since I've been collecting since the '90s and never seen this variant, I'd say it's pretty unlikely to be vintage. It does appear to be a good mold, though.

Edit: I did find this on Pinterest. Don't know if it's vintage, either, and it appears to be a different shade of green. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/823455113103085920/
    Last edited by Universe; May 8, 2020 at 10:14pm.

This is the gun I purchased. The color in the photo I uploaded is distorted by the flash of my iPhone camera. It is actually the color on the pinterest photo - sort of sage green.
    I'm losing my edge, but I was there. LCD Soundsystem

Same thing for me, never seen one before.

For sure it is not a custom repaint? It is real plastic molded color?

I have uploaded a scan of the green and the standard purple. If the green is painted, it is hard to tell, but I am no expert at forgery. The only analogy I can make is that the purple has the same soft textural feel as a Skeletor sword, while the green feels more like the harder glossy plastic of a He Man sword.

I am happy to answer further questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm losing my edge, but I was there. LCD Soundsystem

It's also plausible that this is from another line of toys made after the MOTU line ended. We know Mattel re-used some molds for other lines, as did the companies they licensed MOTU to. In the early 2000s I found a line of "egg monsters" that were just Mattel's Meteorbs produced in different colors. I think they were Made in China, but the quality appeared to be fairly similar to Mattel production quality - just less detail in the paint jobs.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    It's also plausible that this is from another line of toys made after the MOTU line ended. We know Mattel re-used some molds for other lines, as did the companies they licensed MOTU to. In the early 2000s I found a line of "egg monsters" that were just Mattel's Meteorbs produced in different colors. I think they were Made in China, but the quality appeared to be fairly similar to Mattel production quality - just less detail in the paint jobs.
    Meteorbs were actually not a Mattel original thing. They're essentially redecos of a line of Japanese gashapon toys from the 60's. Towards the end of the line, presumably in an attempt to cut down on costs, Mattel seemed to buy a lot of tools from foreign toy companies. Another example of this is the unproduced Horde Robot. It was a redeco of an Italian robot toy from the 70's.

Very interesting, I haven't seen that before. Could be a bootleg of some sort? Or a custom.