Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Jason Olson - fellow He-Man fan

RIP Jason Olson - fellow He-Man fan

I still don't want to believe this is true.
    I got a cryptic message yesterday via Facebook saying Jason Olson (nope42 here on the forums) had passed away. The account owner disappeared before I could read it so I had no idea who sent it. I was hoping this was not true.
    But, James Eatock said he spoke to Eric Olson who said it was true.
    I can't fathom how this happened. I don't know any details and have been trying to find out all morning. Jason was only 39 years old.

I can't remember if I met Jason for the first time at Wizard World Chicago in 2003 or 2004. But, he was a regular face at fan gatherings and also at Power-Con. From the get-go, I joked about how he looked like Robert Kirkman. And ever since then, I'd always yell out "Robert Kirkmannnnnn!" when I'd see him for the first time at a show.

Jason was a quiet, very friendly guy. He was always a pleasure to be around, and I never heard anything but a kind word pass his lips.
    He always carried around a 2 litter of soda which became a running gag for as long as I knew him. Fans who hung out with Jason also remember how he took a Sylvester Stallone toy with him and would pose it doing funny things at whatever destination Jason traveled to.

Losing one of our own... I'm not sure how to take this. It's not the first time we've lost members of our community, but this was a fellow fan I had a closer relationship with.

I'm sure all of you who met Jason felt the same way about him. Not being able to spend time with him any more is a huge blow. It's a big reminder of our mortality and how we should strive to enjoy the time we have with friends and family as we never know when that may be the last time we see one another.

Jason will be missed.

Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

What?!? Oh my gosh. I can't believe this. I wish somehow this was untrue info, but I know you wouldn't have posted then, Val. So shocking, and terrible.

I just replied to a message from him about a week ago (and hadn't yet heard back... now I guess I won't.)

Jason was an absolute great guy to hang around with, and he was a bit of a goof, but so fun and had such a heart.

After Teela's trip to Power Con with me, he made and sent her a 200X-inspired Power Sword box with a flashdrive of photos/videos he'd taken of us all from the trip. After Kylie's turn, he made and sent her a custom Manta Ray toy flash drive with photos from our trip (in which he'd gone to the aquarium with us.)

Jason was usually one of the first we'd run into upon arrival at Power-Con, and would share much of the fun with us. I cannot wrap my head around this. I'm crying.

Val, if when you find out more, please let me/us know. So sad.

IMG_4631.jpg
    Last edited by kevin; May 10, 2020 at 01:27pm.

I'm shocked. I just texted him back and forth some Friday when Power-Con was canceled. It had to be something pretty sudden. He hung out with my family and I the Friday before Power-Con last year a lot and was one of the people I talked to the most there every year I went. Infinite sadness. .

I’m shocked and sorry to hear this news. Jason was one of the first people I met at Power-Con back in year two and we’ve been friends ever since. He was a great guy, always kind and a pleasure to be around. He was one of the first faces I would look for at PC and always one of the first I’d see.

A few of us dubbed him the “Wiscy Ripper” because he won the Road Ripper Race in 2012. I can’t believe he’s gone, and will always remember the fun times we had at the con. My condolences to his friends and family, he’ll be missed.

IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg

Eric
    Last edited by NorthCoast; May 11, 2020 at 04:32pm.
    Snake Mountain, FINALLY!!!

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    This is such sad news and it hurts the whole extended family (he-man.org and Power-con)

R.I.P Jason.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

I'm so sad to hear this. I've been thinking about it since I heard this morning. He was such a great guy, and absolutely everyone he met loved him. He'll be missed and leave a big hole in the next Power-Con.

Heroic Warrior
    Tragic loss. All my best to his family and friends.

I traded with Jason many a time over the years and always loved talking toys with him. A great member of this He-Family that will be sorely missed.

Man, this really hurts.

I talked with him a bunch.

Every Powercon I knew I was going to sit down and have a great chat with him at some point. We even arrived together to the con a couple of times.

He was just a really nice guy, never negative, and always just fun to be around.

I am sorry for his family for their loss.
    cogito ergo doleo

Very sad news indeed! Even though I've only been coming out to Power-Con the past four years, Jason has been one of those ever present, friendly, welcoming folks that you could easily strike up a conversation with and make you feel comfortable and at home while at the con. He will be missed!

Sent from my Power Sword using the Force

So sorry to hear. My condolences to his family and friends. He looks so young in those photos.

Turbo Orangutan Kosmic JimPansen's Avatar
    Im shocked. Wish I could've met him again. Good journey buddy!

Sad news indeed. I never met Jason but he seems to have been a nice guy.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

I didn't know him other than a few interactions, but I was saddened to learn this yesterday on IG. Take care of yourselves and love your life, gang. You never know when your time may be up.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

So sorry to hear this and my condolences to the Olson family, his relative and his he-man org friends. May he Rest in Peace.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    A few of us dubbed him the “Wiscy Ripper” because he won the Road Ripper Race in 2012. I can’t believe he’s gone, and will always remember the fun times we had at the con. My condolences to his friends and family, he’ll be missed.
    Maybe, the con could do something like a Jason Olson Memorial Road Ripper Race in his honor at next year's con on Friday or Saturday night. I missed seeing the race since I've only been to the last four cons, but that race sounded cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Maybe, the con could something like a Jason Olson Memorial Road Ripper Race in his honor at next year's con on Friday or Saturday night. I missed seeing the race since I've only been to the last four cons, but that race sounded cool.
    Sounds like a great idea!
    Snake Mountain, FINALLY!!!

Oh man this blows.

What did he die of? i hope it's not the damn virus.

39? too young
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I haven't heard a definitive cause, but from what I have heard, it was sudden, and not the virus.

Here is his obituary: https://www.tributearchive.com/obitu...on-Cliff-Olson

where you can post a tribute on the Tribue Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Maybe, the con could do something like a Jason Olson Memorial Road Ripper Race in his honor at next year's con on Friday or Saturday night. I missed seeing the race since I've only been to the last four cons, but that race sounded cool.
    That's a FANTASTIC idea, and even if it isn't "officially sanctioned" by Power Con programming, we fellow fans still MUST make it a reality!

Here's a photo of Jason with his medal, having just won the race in 2012!:
    103.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    Here is his obituary: https://www.tributearchive.com/obitu...on-Cliff-Olson

where you can post a tribute on the Tribue Wall.
    Thank you for posting this!

Yes, thank you, Iluvart! I posted a tribute. I think Iíll make a post on IG, too.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

One of his family members just posted that the autopsy report is in. He had a blood clot in his leg that let loose and went to his lungs.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Jason always seemed like such a gentle soul. He was a quiet guy, but would always come over to say hi and chat a little bit at Power-Con every year. I remember he always had that funny Sylvester Stallone figure with him. I was stunned to hear this news the other day. My deepest sympathies go out to Jason's family. Power-Con will never be the same without him there.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Master of New Adventures!
    I never had the pleasure of meeting Jason, but the words and thoughts expressed in this thread are a tribute to him and the quality of his character.

No man is an island,
    Entire of itself.
    Each is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.
    If a clod be washed away by the sea,
    Europe is the less,
    As well as if a promontory were,
    As well as if a manor of thine own
    Or of thine friend's were.
    Each man's death diminishes me,
    For I am involved in mankind.

John Donne, For Whom the Bell Tolls