Thread: Grayskull?

Grayskull?

Sorry to ask this question and if it is stupid but I was just watching season 5 last night of She-Ra and I'm up to episode 8 and really enjoying it. Anyways it got me thinking why does Adora say for the honor of Grayskull? Not sure if I have forgotten but has Grayskull been mentioned in this series? I know the original cartoon she is connected to Castle Grayskull and He-Man. But there has been no mention of Grayskull in this series that I can remember so why would she say Grayskull?
    Have I forgotten something as I haven't seen the earlier seasons since they were released?
    Also I LOVE She-Ras new design, what a MASSIVE improvement from the past 4 seasons.
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

Heroic Warrior
    they mentoined something called Rebel Squadron Grayskull. other than that, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    they mentoined something called Rebel Squadron Grayskull. other than that, I don't know.
    I don't remember that, it's odd that I have watched from the beginning and now I just thought of that. It's strange that she is honoring Grayskull but there is no connection to Grayskull or what or who Grayskull is in this series.
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Xena-She-Ra View Post
    I don't remember that, it's odd that I have watched from the beginning and now I just thought of that. It's strange that she is honoring Grayskull but there is no connection to Grayskull or what or who Grayskull is in this series.
    it was in the episode Return to the fright zone in that hologram. i guess Grayskull was a squadron name. although i think it could be possible that their stronghold was Castle Grayskull.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Grayskull is only ever mentioned as part of the transformation call “For the honor of Grayskull”, used throughout the series, and in the name Rebel Squadron Grayskull mentioned in episode 49 (S5E10) “Return to the Fright Zone”.

No background info or backstory whatsoever is ever given at any point during the full run of 52 episodes to explain what or whom it refers to. And this is just one of unfortunately too many world-building aspects, points and threads that Noelle and her team inexplicably decided to leave completely dangling and unresolved.

I had very high hopes that all these conworlding things were finally going to get an explanation, through flashbacks or whatever, at some point during the final season. These aspects were among my primary personal interests in the series (as I have next to zero interest in this somewhat adolescent-like obsession, that some younger part of the fandom seem to have, with “shipping” characters and watching romantic kisses on screen or forcing a happy-ending redemption arc for certain characters). So I have been left very disappointed by Noelle's total neglect in this respect.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Grayskull is only ever mentioned as part of the transformation call “For the honor of Grayskull”, used throughout the series, and in the name Rebel Squadron Grayskull mentioned in episode 49 (S5E10) “Return to the Fright Zone”.

No background info or backstory whatsoever is ever given at any point during the full run of 52 episodes to explain what or whom it refers to. And this is just one of unfortunately too many world-building aspects, points and threads that Noelle and her team inexplicably decided to leave completely dangling and unresolved.

I had very high hopes that all these conworlding things were finally going to get an explanation, through flashbacks or whatever, at some point during the final season. These aspects were among my primary personal interests in the series (as I have next to zero interest in this somewhat adolescent-like obsession, that some younger part of the fandom seem to have, with “shipping” characters and watching romantic kisses on screen or forcing a happy-ending redemption arc for certain characters). So I have been left very disappointed by Noelle's total neglect in this respect.
    Thank **** someone feels the same as me. I loved this show until this final season, which was a huge let-down. I get that it's a kids' show and perhaps I expected too much. But either way there were so many holes in the writing this final season.
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

I actually think this season was the best season, the past seasons were ok but I think the final was the best.
    I just finished watching the final episode. WOW so much WOW!
    I still wish though it was explained who or what Grayskull is in this series.
    Why is Adora calling out to Grayskull? Who is he or she? What is Gratskull?
    Yes I know who and what Grayskull is in other series and comics and stuff but in this show it was never explained and that's disappointing.
    There was so much backstory in this series but that question was sadly left out.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

We all know why Adora calls to the honour of Grayskull . It's part of the whole She Ra package .

Even if we did not , it would not matter . This is a super hero magic word . Some kid screams Shazam . Same diff .
    Sometimes the phrase makes sense and sometimes not . The important part is it helps to remind children of this hero if they have some fun , cool , wierd phrase to repeat .....and buy merchandise .

What is Grayskull ,what is Eternia ,where Adora come from , what is her origin, where Catra come from , what is her origin ,what is her race , where is is the lore ,where is the mytology of this series ?

A fantasy series is about relationships and mythology ,this series paid a lot of attention regarding the relationships (and it was great) and completely forgot about the lore ,the mythos.

At the end of the day it was all about shipping.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    What is Grayskull ,what is Eternia ,where Adora come from , what is her origin, where Catra come from , what is her origin ,what is her race , where is is the lore ,where is the mytology of this series ?

A fantasy series is about relationships and mythology ,this series paid a lot of attention regarding the relationships (and it was great) and completely forgot about the lore ,the mythos.

At the end of the day it was all about shipping.
    It's my understanding that Noelle wasn't allowed to elaborate further. Like, I remember her saying that she wanted to use He-Man, but all MOTU stuff was off the table. I imagine she wrote season one prior to being told that she couldn't do anything with the MOTU stuff (after season one, we stopped hearing about Eternia, and the only time Castle Grayskull was mentioned was during transformations; I suspect we were supposed to learn more about Eternia, Adora's past and family, etc. though Mara and her ship, but that couldn't happen), but was informed before she began on season 2.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    No connection to MOTU, in the end...

He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    No connection to MOTU, in the end...

https://i.imgur.com/G3bvZ7z.jpg
    Well ,at the end of the day that was standalone She-Ra . Now it's time to come back the MOTU mythology

MAJOR CONTINUITY PROBLEM REGARDING 'GRAYSKULL':

So we learned in Season 5 that Grayskull was the name of Mara's rebel squadron, and Noelle Stevenson has since confirmed on Twitter that this is all that the word Grayskull refers to, Adora just says 'For the Honor of Grayskull' to uphold Mara's honour, and previous She-Ras had nothing to do with Grayskull.

But...

In Season 2, Bow's dads showed us the history book which had the picture of the first She-Ra, whose name was Hera and fought in ancient times - Bow's dads said the book claimed "She fought for the power of Grayskull".

Explain that one Noelle? I'm thinking things got retconned somewhere down the line...

Widget
    I personally chalk it up to "LightHope" being a program and not being permitted to divulge information. I found it frustrating at times that Adora would pose a question to LightHope and it would be "dismissed" in a sense. Could be looked at an easy way to avoid having to make sense of the past or how things came to be.

I can understand the intent of the of that plot point. Since part of Adora's arc was not getting hung up on were she came from and that the life she's made for herself now, is what matters.

But it is still frustrating to bring up and not answer.

Anyway Grayskull.

Grayskull being the name of Mara's squad and the wider MoTU reference aren't mutually exclusive, since the squad could be named after Castle Grayskull, assuming Eternia is the home of the first ones.

Adora is one of many She Ra,s . Perhaps the first couple of She Ra,s understood exactly the origins of that funny activation code . How about schooling other She Ra,s and viewers before misunderstandings crop up ?

How could Adora not ask why she has to call upon the honour of the symbol death before she gets to transform into a little Valkyrie princess and toss tanks at enemies .

Children watching this for the first time , not born 40 years ago are also scratching their lil heads .

Its Mara,s old rogue squadron is a horrible explanation . Okay writers fine . Why did Mara call her rogue squadron...... a symbol of death ?
    Last edited by Lokus; May 20, 2020 at 05:19am.

Its a real shame He-Man, Castle Grayskull or the He-Man Lore were not allowed to be in this show.
    If they were we would of had more clear answers.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

It's perplexing. How does a rebel squadron even come up with the word "grayskull"? We don't even do it in real life (or maybe not?). People choose words that are common; "Rebel Squadron Tea Leaves".
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    It's perplexing. How does a rebel squadron even come up with the word "grayskull"? We don't even do it in real life (or maybe not?). People choose words that are common; "Rebel Squadron Tea Leaves".
    Exactly, the word Grayskull had to have come from somewhere. The only plausible explanation I've heard was that Grayskull may have been Mara's surname, which could leave the way open for her to be a descendant of King Grayskull or something. But it's a stretch to incorporate any of the familiar elements of MOTU lore into this show's universe.

(And apparently re: my post above about the original She-Ra being named 'Hera'... I've been informed I've actually misunderstood this and Bow's dads were talking about Mara and not the first She-Ra at all, and the name 'Hera' was a mistranslation that was supposed to be funny??? If so I stand corrected, but it's bloody lame writing.)

A variety of statements actually make the Hera story (Lance refers to her as "Her-Ra") open to interpretation, the first of which was the "accurate translations are hard to come by" line.

Her-Ra and the dragon are shown on what I believe to be the Elberon vase. Lance doesn't actually call it that in that scene, however, in a later one he's playfully arguing with George about the true age of the vase. The exchange goes:

George: "Serenia was the name of a mythical First Ones hero, although SOME of us think she was a real person."

Lance: "And SOME of us also think the Elberon vase dates back only one millennia!"

If you will recall, George also thought his First Ones writing tattoo said "Love", when in reality it was "Lunch"...lol

So, on the one hand, it's reasonable to think the vase may be from Mara's time as She-Ra. The artwork is very similar to what's depicted on Perfuma's ancient banner. (The She-Ra taming the beasts of Beast Island with a single word.) Although we never see Mara riding around on a dragon, consider that we only ever get to see a small slice of her time on Etheria. Perhaps she learned to tame a dragon on Beast Island after seeing how Madame Razz was able to get that creature from one of the episodes to stop in its tracks.

On the other hand, Perfuma says they've been telling those stories about She-Ra for thousands of years, which would make the vase from way before Mara's time. But then, it's also reasonable to think Perfuma and her people may have got it wrong, too.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    A variety of statements actually make the Hera story (Lance refers to her as "Her-Ra") open to interpretation, the first of which was the "accurate translations are hard to come by" line.

Her-Ra and the dragon are shown on what I believe to be the Elberon vase. Lance doesn't actually call it that in that scene, however, in a later one he's playfully arguing with George about the true age of the vase. The exchange goes:

George: "Serenia was the name of a mythical First Ones hero, although SOME of us think she was a real person."

Lance: "And SOME of us also think the Elberon vase dates back only one millennia!"

If you will recall, George also thought his First Ones writing tattoo said "Love", when in reality it was "Lunch"...lol

So, on the one hand, it's reasonable to think the vase may be from Mara's time as She-Ra. The artwork is very similar to what's depicted on Perfuma's ancient banner. (The She-Ra taming the beasts of Beast Island with a single word.) Although we never see Mara riding around on a dragon, consider that we only ever get to see a small slice of her time on Etheria. Perhaps she learned to tame a dragon on Beast Island after seeing how Madame Razz was able to get that creature from one of the episodes to stop in its tracks.

On the other hand, Perfuma says they've been telling those stories about She-Ra for thousands of years, which would make the vase from way before Mara's time. But then, it's also reasonable to think Perfuma and her people may have got it wrong, too.
    Thanks for clarifying. It's all down to clumsy writing and lack of consistency on the show's writers' part, so it seems. I had made the assumption that 'Hera' (or 'Her-Ra', whatever) was supposed to be the original She-Ra partly because I assumed it was a reference to 'He-Ra' which many fans know was the original working name for She-Ra, and has since been made into a character in her own right, as one of She-Ra's predecessors from ancient times in the MOTUC canon. Given how much Noelle took from the MOTUC canon it made sense to be that she had chosen that character to be the original She-Ra - the name 'He-Ra' of course came from the Greek goddess Hera, which I assumed was the reason for the pronunciation HERa.

Either way, IMO it would have been a lot more interesting had the vase been referring to the first She-Ra. The mention of 'the power of Grayskull' seemed to be pointing towards a MOTU connection as well, by alluding to He-Man's own catchphrase - Adora said something like 'that's obviously a mistranslation, it's the Honor of Grayskull' - but generally apparent 'errors' like that are used in works of fiction as narrative tools pointing towards a new twist or revelation further down the line.

Likewise it was very disappointing that the show did not devote any time to exploring previous She-Ras. Even though the first season made abundantly clear there had been hundreds of generations of She-Ras, the series treated Mara as if she had been the only previous She-Ra. The overall internal mythology of the show is one huge sorry mess, which presumably doesn't matter to Noelle and her crew because their little love stories are the real focus.