Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 weight gain

Master of New Adventures!

COVID-19 weight gain

So I'll be the first one to confess that I've gained some weight during the pandemic. Between Kim's meatloaf, lasagne snd delivery pizza along with snacking on some other comfort foods, I've put on nearly ten pounds! I guess it was inevitable, since we were cut off from a lot of other activities for two months, that some of us take solace in deliciousness.

Anyway, my jeans are starting to get a little tight now and, despite my working out, I decided it's time for me to take the bull by the horns. So I popped for two months of Nutrisystem -- is it okay for me to mention them by name? -- to help get me back on track. I had good results a couple of years ago and dropped fifteen pounds and kept it off through exercise and healthy eating until this beast hit. Today's Day Two of Nutrisystem for me, and I'm glad I'm on this path.

Anyone else seen weight creep during the pandemic and are you going to do something about it?

I'm too afraid to weigh myself. I would guess I have gained 5 to 10 pounds. At the very least, I've probably lost some muscle mass if nothing else. I do go for jogs/walks daily and do sit ups, but not much else. The YMCA around here is supposed to re-open on June 1st.

We're the opposite.

We haven't had "restaurant food" since March. No delivery, no takeout, no curbside pick-up. So we're cooking a whole lot more than normal which means we're eating much healthier food and much smaller portions than standard restaurant fare.

My weight hasn't changed in 20 years, so it doesn't matter what I do. But my wife is normally around 105 pounds and is in "danger" of slipping into double-digits because of how healthy she's eating combined with how much more exercise she's getting since she can't play poker.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    We're the opposite.

We haven't had "restaurant food" since March. No delivery, no takeout, no curbside pick-up. So we're cooking a whole lot more than normal which means we're eating much healthier food and much smaller portions than standard restaurant fare.

My weight hasn't changed in 20 years, so it doesn't matter what I do. But my wife is normally around 105 pounds and is in "danger" of slipping into double-digits because of how healthy she's eating combined with how much more exercise she's getting since she can't play poker.
    Wait! Your wife is drop-dead gorgeous, from what I know she's a highly skilled poker player AND she cooks healthy?!!! What lottery in Heaven did you win?!

I've had less "junk food". I weighed myself last week, and I was pleased to see I'm the same as I have been for the past six years.

We panic shopped for non-perishable (read: highly processed) foods the first week of quarantine. And I think we panic ate it all that same week. I gained about 15 pounds and itís been stuck on me since.

Bums me out because I lost 100 pounds before all this and had plateaued. Donít want it to become a trend...hopefully when things can go back to normal I can get the dragon off my back and get things going in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Wait! Your wife is drop-dead gorgeous, from what I know she's a highly skilled poker player AND she cooks healthy?!!! What lottery in Heaven did you win?!
    She loves to cook. In fact, her mom went to culinary school, so she's picked up a bunch of things over the years.

And a VERY skilled player. She's been primarily a high stakes cash game player, but she's also 30th on the "Women's All Time Money List" for tournament play.

Heroic Warrior
    No weight gain here I think but, I've noticed people I haven't seen since all this started have gotten a bit more filled out and rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    She loves to cook. In fact, her mom went to culinary school, so she's picked up a bunch of things over the years.

And a VERY skilled player. She's been primarily a high stakes cash game player, but she's also 30th on the "Women's All Time Money List" for tournament play.
    I'm aware. Aside from being beautiful -- I love the occasional pics of the two of you together; you are a great couple -- she's a multi-faceted Renaissance woman.

There are some really fun, great Cardio Dance videos on YouTube that I've been discovering to avoid having this very problem LOL. Poke around online, find one with moves that aren't painful for you, and wiggle those pounds away!

Yeah, things are not good in this household. My husband bought food and well, he bought all the food we typically don't eat. I stay away from processed foods and sugar. Well, guess what he bought. And frankly I wasn't in a good state of mind, so I ate it. Needlesstosay, I have a lot of losing to do. Thankfully I have the entire summer to fit back into my work pants. I know with Keto I can lose it. Now I have to wean myself off the bad stuff and get back into keto
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

I have been carrying a bit of belly weight for some time now (before COVID-19).

I used to stay in the same shape no matter what I ate, and also did exercise regularly... but during the past couple of years I have put on 11 pounds and because I am quite lazy nowadays, I haven't been getting rid of that extra weight.

My spare time is usually only in the evenings, except for weekends, so I try to go for a run then.

I have just measured my waistline and calculated my BMI, which is 24.5, and according to the government health website, I am still "healthy". But I think I need to do some rigorous exercise, and because I tend to eat more during winter, I have been watching my meal portions a little more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    I have been carrying a bit of belly weight for some time now (before COVID-19).

I used to stay in the same shape no matter what I ate, and also did exercise regularly... but during the past couple of years I have put on 11 pounds and because I am quite lazy nowadays, I haven't been getting rid of that extra weight.

My spare time is usually only in the evenings, except for weekends, so I try to go for a run then.

I have just measured my waistline and calculated my BMI, which is 24.5, and according to the government health website, I am still "healthy". But I think I need to do some rigorous exercise, and because I tend to eat more during winter, I have been watching my meal portions a little more closely.
    Although cardio fans will disagree, imo resistance resistance training (free weights) is the best when it comes to weight control and there are tons of studies that support this. The reason is that with resistance training you build muscle mass and it takes more simply calories to maintain muscle than it does fat. Thus you are burning calories 24/7. My favorite is simple dumbbells. All it requires is a basic, inexpensive weight bench and a couple sets of dumb bells. Before my medical incident last Thanksgiving, I was using 50 lbs. dumbbells for 95% of my exercises and a pair of 25 pounders for a couple of them. I was on the bench for an hour three times a week and the results were impressive, both in strength and weight loss and maintenance.

Now fully recovered from my medical issues, I'm back up to 40 lbs. dumbbells and 20 pounders for my few minor exercises requiring less weight. I'm shooting for being back up to 50/25 three times a week by 4th of July as my doctors told me I need to take it slow.

We have an Echolon bike that I do ten miles on three days a week as well, but for losing and maintaining weight I really recommend resistance training. Lots of stuff on YouTube with great exercise programs you can knock out in half and hour or so.

One fun and delicious tip -- and you can look it up on the web -- you should take a whey isolate proteins shake, I like GNC's -- followed by thirteen gummy bears (!) after each of your workout. The sugar in the gummies puts the protein on an express train to your muscles.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; May 21, 2020 at 02:25pm.

I've actually lost a bit of weight. But I think it's just my limited muscle mass going through atrophy. I'm getting soft and mushy.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I've actually lost a bit of weight. But I think it's just my limited muscle mass going through atrophy. I'm getting soft and mushy.
    Didn't seem that way to me at Power-Con. You must carry it well. Having lost weight is a bonus if you decide to train because now you can build muscle mass without having to worry so much about losing flab. I know how busy you are, but if your car needed help you'd find the time to take it in. Try starting out with just twenty-minutes of resistance training three times a week. Dumbbells and a weight bencher inexpensive. You'll be amazed at the energy and focus you have after just two or three weeks if hitting the weight. There's a wonderful sense of accomplishment that comes with it.

I've dropped 8 lbs in the last 4 weeks and still going. With the gym closed, I've switched my focus to trimming fat over building muscle. I cut my carbs drastically, to the point of ketosis, and I've upped my cardio. I'm still lifting weights 4 days a week but my options are limited at home.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I've dropped 8 lbs in the last 4 weeks and still going. With the gym closed, I've switched my focus to trimming fat over building muscle. I cut my carbs drastically, to the point of ketosis, and I've upped my cardio. I'm still lifting weights 4 days a week but my options are limited at home.
    Understood and congrats on your accomplishment!

I get that it's tough to do resistance training at home, but there are a lot of resistance training routines and exercises that can be done with just your own body weight -- push-ups one of the best. Getting an inexpensive set of dumbbells opens up all sorts of avenues even without the cost of a bench -- shrugs, lunges, farmer's walk, overhead and sitting presses and curls, etc. Remember that muscle mass takes more calories to maintain than fat, so you're burning calories 24/7 with resistance training. Building muscle mass is great when it comes to losing weight. Don't get wrong. Cardio is so important when it comes to heart health. But for building muscle mass that helps with weight loss and maintenance, there's no contest when you compare it to resistance training.

Again, congrats for a great journey in just four weeks!

I live in a upper middle class condominium so most of my basic exercise is just walking up on the stairs from Floor 5 to the ground floor. starting from walking to running just to keep the endurance.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    I live in a upper middle class condominium so most of my basic exercise is just walking up on the stairs from Floor 5 to the ground floor. starting from walking to running just to keep the endurance.
    That's great. Consider adding a ten or twenty pound weighted exercise belt to add in some resistance training.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Although cardio fans will disagree, imo resistance resistance training (free weights) is the best when it comes to weight control and there are tons of studies that support this. The reason is that with resistance training you build muscle mass and it takes more simply calories to maintain muscle than it does fat. Thus you are burning calories 24/7. My favorite is simple dumbbells. All it requires is a basic, inexpensive weight bench and a couple sets of dumb bells. Before my medical incident last Thanksgiving, I was using 50 lbs. dumbbells for 95% of my exercises and a pair of 25 pounders for a couple of them. I was on the bench for an hour three times a week and the results were impressive, both in strength and weight loss and maintenance.

Now fully recovered from my medical issues, I'm back up to 40 lbs. dumbbells and 20 pounders for my few minor exercises requiring less weight. I'm shooting for being back up to 50/25 three times a week by 4th of July as my doctors told me I need to take it slow.

We have an Echolon bike that I do ten miles on three days a week as well, but for losing and maintaining weight I really recommend resistance training. Lots of stuff on YouTube with great exercise programs you can knock out in half and hour or so.

One fun and delicious tip -- and you can look it up on the web -- you should take a whey isolate proteins shake, I like GNC's -- followed by thirteen gummy bears (!) after each of your workout. The sugar in the gummies puts the protein on an express train to your muscles.

Good luck.
    Years ago I used to exercise in the company gym (fully equipped and free to use for staff, can't complain) after work. When I got thirsty after I'd usually down a carton of milk. Nowadays due to a busier schedule I've stopped going to the gym.

Thanks for your suggestions, I am thinking of taking up some weights again, but also want to focus on getting my flexibility and agility levels to what they were before (or as close as possible) . Some mornings I feel like a slug.

I weighed myself this morning. I have appeared to have lost 5 pounds rather than gained anything. I may have just lost some muscle mass. Not that I ever had tons of muscle, but I've always been more of a weights/station machines person than outdoor walking/jogging, so I may be affecting my body in a different way with that switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    Years ago I used to exercise in the company gym (fully equipped and free to use for staff, can't complain) after work. When I got thirsty after I'd usually down a carton of milk. Nowadays due to a busier schedule I've stopped going to the gym.

Thanks for your suggestions, I am thinking of taking up some weights again, but also want to focus on getting my flexibility and agility levels to what they were before (or as close as possible) . Some mornings I feel like a slug.
    If you go the milk route, which is good, I'd advise chocolate milk, which is acknowledged to be one of the best protein drinks there is.

I've gained about 15 pounds during quarantine even though I've been running more than usual, about 3-6 miles five times a week. Like Jack, my wife has been cooking at home more, a lot of good, hearty meals. We've also had some pizza deliveries. Also, beer. So I've been running more, but taking in a lot more calories, especially carbs.

I started a diet six days ago, but I don't think I can keep it up. It's weird that I find it easier to diet when I'm physically at work. While working at home I am just more hungry, and find it easier to snack since it's here. So I'm just going to stop dieting until quarantine is over. But I think I will cut out the beer at least.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I've gained about 15 pounds during quarantine even though I've been running more than usual, about 3-6 miles five times a week. Like Jack, my wife has been cooking at home more, a lot of good, hearty meals. We've also had some pizza deliveries. Also, beer. So I've been running more, but taking in a lot more calories, especially carbs.

I started a diet six days ago, but I don't think I can keep it up. It's weird that I find it easier to diet when I'm physically at work. While working at home I am just more hungry, and find it easier to snack since it's here. So I'm just going to stop dieting until quarantine is over. But I think I will cut out the beer at least.
    It is hard to stick to a meal plan when your house is filled with delicious carb filled stuff being eaten by other members of your family. It took me a long time to train myself to eat clean.
    Last edited by FAKER II; May 22, 2020 at 03:29pm.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post

There's no "at least" when it comes to the benefits of cutting beer and you're to be commended for thinking about making that decision. To motivate you, consider this: an average glass of beer contains 154 calories. Doesn't sound like a lot until you do the math. Three beers in a night comes out to 462 calories. Have three beers a day for a week and you're looking at a pretty incredibly extra 3,234 calories on top of what you normally eat. The average male requires 2,500 calories a day to maintain their weight. Since it takes about 3,500 calories to gain a pound of fat in a week, you'd be putting on a pound a week from those beers.

To put it another, more positive, way, if you cut those beers that's a pound of fat a week you won't gain!