Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Board Game coming from CMON - Discussion thread

MOTU Board Game coming from CMON - Discussion thread

From CMON:

CMON has the Power!

When Eternia is threatened by Skeletor and his vile minions, the noble Prince Adam holds aloft the Sword of Power and proclaims, "By the Power of Grayskull, I have the power!", transforming into He-Man! These battles have raged endlessly in toy stores, living rooms, and playrooms, but soon, gamers will be able to recreate these epic struggles on their tabletops. CMON is proud to announce a licensing agreement with Mattel to create and publish Masters of the Universe: The Board Game in North America, South America and throughout Asia.

Michael Shinall, CMON's Design and Development Manager, and Developer Leo Almeida, veteran game-makers who have had a hand in designing and developing hit games like Bloodborne: The Board Game, and A Song of Ice and Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game are taking the designing reigns on Masters of the Universe: The Board Game. They are developing a new game system that will take advantage of the iconic setting and universe as well as bring in many of the setting's most beloved characters. The game will feature highly-detailed miniature figures of these characters, giving both gamers and collectors a thrill.

When asked about creating a game based on the groundbreaking toy line, Michael Shinall said, "Masters was a part of most of our childhoods. People of a certain age know all about it. Simply saying, 'I have the Power' is automatically said in one's mind a certain way because of it. Now, this game will bring an entirely new generation to Eternia and its many characters. Parents will be able to pass down their love for He-Man to their children, and that's amazing."

Since its inception in 1982, Masters of the Universe has been a cultural phenomenon transcending generations and igniting "the power" amongst fans around the world. Now, after more than 30 years, Mattel is bringing Masters of the Universe back and is setting out to create a global evergreen franchise with multiple content access points expanding the story and characters within the vast universe.

"As Mattel looks to unlock the power of its IP, partnering with CMON is the latest step to bring back one of the company's most famous contributions to pop-culture -- He-Man, Skeletor, and the Power of Grayskull from Masters of the Universe," said Janet Hsu, Chief Franchise Officer, Mattel. "This new game system will be sure to introduce fans to the most iconic characters through a fresh interpretation of Eternia as it has never been seen before."

Masters of the Universe: The Board Game will launch on Kickstarter in 2021.

Stay tuned for more exciting information as we approach the launch of the campaign.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

This is awesome, awesome news. I will definitely support this and can't wait to hear more details about gameplay. I hope it's an epic strategy game, but I'll get it no matter what it is.

I am confused as to why they're announcing a Kickstarter campaign that won't begin for at least seven months though. This means the game is still a long ways away, which means this announcement comes with a twinge of disappointment. IMO, an announcement just prior to campaign launch makes more sense and keeps excitement going.

Still... Yay! I hope it's a huge success.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    This is awesome, awesome news. I will definitely support this and can't wait to hear more details about gameplay. I hope it's an epic strategy game, but I'll get it no matter what it is.

I am confused as to why they're announcing a Kickstarter campaign that won't begin for at least seven months though. This means the game is still a long ways away, which means this announcement comes with a twinge of disappointment. IMO, an announcement just prior to campaign launch makes more sense and keeps excitement going.

Still... Yay! I hope it's a huge success.
    I'm in for everything!!!

My guess is the announcement is this early to build hype. CMON will likely have every render done and all artwork completed before they even launch. This early hype will drive their labors until the launch. They have an amazing track record, fantastic quality sculpts, top notch artwork and good game play. This will truly be something for collectors!

I will be using the minis for Kaiju Kaos: Guardians of Edin but I will definitely play the actual game as well.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

This is awesome news. I hope that it's not to complicate but has lots of replay value.

Also not sure which art style I would want it to be similar to, classics, 200x, etc.

Kickstarter makes most sense for a board game. I'm sure it'll be around $300 with all the extras. No way they could get that at a big retail chain or retail would have a place to sell a board game that expensive. At least it might be available at some local game stores.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

I'm hoping it's one of those crazy, massive games with about a zillion miniatures like Zombicide or the recent Might Morphin Power Rangers and TMNT games. My friends have all been picking those up and painting the miniatures, etc. Now it's my turn!
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

I felt like I was back at Power Con getting totally and happily blindsided by awesome announcements!

This is fantastic news! I can’t wait! (But I’m gonna have to)

Powerful news! Very exciting! Biggest downside (like the new animation underway and character guide compendium) is having to wait another year.

Sent from my Power Sword using the Force

Widget
    CMON is one of the biggest boardgaming companies around today, so this is huge news.
    Their Kick-starters raise millions, but expect the all in package to be expensive! That being said it's pretty much a given that you are going to end up with a huge amount of quality miniatures, which is exactly what you want for this franchise. I wonder how deep into the roster they will go?

For those unfamiliar with CMON their games are targeted at the 12-Adult crowd, so expect something more complex then the stuff you find at walmart (but normally not too complex.)

Their 'flagship' game is zombiecide, so google that if you want to know the kind of thing it will look like. Michael Shinall also made a CMON game called Rum and Bones (a pirate game) which kind of felt MOTU with all the characters in it, so give that one a google as well.

Awesome News! Can't Wait!!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

No Europe, which is disappointing.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    No Europe, which is disappointing.
    Same here! I live in Europe!

So i can't buy one I will not pay secundary market prices...

Argh!

Why does it always feel like whenever some newly licensed He-Man goodies are being developed, I'm a lifetime away from getting it?!!?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Argh!

Why does it always feel like whenever some newly licensed He-Man goodies are being developed, I'm a lifetime away from getting it?!!?
    Because when we were kids, we didn't know they were coming until we saw a TV commercial, a newspaper ad, or catalog... revealing they were hitting stores. Now we know when someone conceives an idea.

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Because when we were kids, we didn't know they were coming until we saw a TV commercial, a newspaper ad, or catalog... revealing they were hitting stores. Now we know when someone conceives an idea.
    That sounds right. We learn about projects immediately, and every step of the process is followed up on.

It takes the same amount of time, but because we’re aware of every single solitary step, it takes that much longer.

Awesome news!
    can't wait to hear more about this, hopefully a 3d adventure console videogame will follow this
    so funny
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    Awesome news!
    can't wait to hear more about this, hopefully a 3d adventure console videogame will follow this
    so funny
    Now you’re making me want things I can’t have, like an action game from Platinum Studios or the like.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm hyped. I love tabletop games, so this is really cool.

I love board games too, so this is super exciting news. I'm not generally into games with miniatures though (Scythe being an exception), and of CMON's games listed on their website, I've never played any, except Blood Rage which I didn't like - perhaps I didn't appreciate strategic depth, but it seemed that there was one surefire route to victory, and that whichever player got dealt a particular card would automatically win.

I'll almost certainly get this game because it's MOTU (it's absolutely amazing to get a board game based on this property!) - but I'm hoping the gameplay is enjoyable and stands up to repeat plays, and I'll probably be checking BoardGameGeek's reviews of it before committing because it sounds like it's going to be pricey. (And also possibly not available in Europe, so that might put the kibosh on my having it anyway.)
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

This is exciting news!

I hope the game allows for solo play and the style of the miniatures aim for more realism over the cartoony-vibe. But regardless I eagerly look forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    This is exciting news!

I hope the game allows for solo play and the style of the miniatures aim for more realism over the cartoony-vibe. But regardless I eagerly look forward to this.
    Agreed on the realism. Hope they pair perfectly with the TMNT Zombiecide minis I already own.

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

This is the only thing that gives me pause (from the press release Val quote in the initial post):

"This new game system will be sure to introduce fans to the most iconic characters through a fresh interpretation of Eternia as it has never been seen before."
    I don't think we need yet another fresh interpretation of the IP. There's too many as it stands now. Have to wait and see what CMON meant by this.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffcope View Post
    This is the only thing that gives me pause (from the press release Val quote in the initial post):

I don't think we need yet another fresh interpretation of the IP. There's too many as it stands now. Have to wait and see what CMON meant by this.
    That usually just means “not beholden to any one prior continuity”, as you do. Since it’s not mentioned as tying in to any specific production, a version of the characters and events would inevitably fall under “fresh interpretation.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    Now you’re making me want things I can’t have, like an action game from Platinum Studios or the like.

that would be awesome! Platinum Studios surely does good console games, honestly everything else could be better than that trashy 200x he-man videogame for playstation 2 with mediocre controls/ visuals

Board games? Yeah they're new for He-Man's franchise and very much needed, why does it took so long to get made one, so hyped!
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Widget
    "fresh interpretation" may mean that they will mix different continuities together (likely) and will use new artwork rather than recycled.