Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOTU Board Game coming from CMON - Discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    CMON is one of the biggest boardgaming companies around today, so this is huge news.
    Kickstarters from established companies always make me queasy. Unless something has changed with Kickstarter, the rule has always been that the service is not for product preorders. Given the circumstances, it really looks like thatís what this is.

But whining about that aside, this sounds really cool. Nobody in my sphere plays board games so Iíd probably only be getting this for the artwork and to support the brand, but thatís enough for me.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Kickstarters from established companies always make me queasy. Unless something has changed with Kickstarter, the rule has always been that the service is not for product preorders. Given the circumstances, it really looks like thatís what this is.

But whining about that aside, this sounds really cool. Nobody in my sphere plays board games so Iíd probably only be getting this for the artwork and to support the brand, but thatís enough for me.
    I think this is because they're unsure whether or not this will sell at all. I mean, to most people, MOTU is a joke property. Most people don't know what an Alcala is, or even that there was anything MOTU released between 1986 when She-Ra ended and 2018 when the She-Ra reboot began. So this is a fairly big risk.

But yeah, things like this are kinda funky. Also, I'll probably pick it up if it's under $150.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    I think this is because they're unsure whether or not this will sell at all. I mean, to most people, MOTU is a joke property. Most people don't know what an Alcala is, or even that there was anything MOTU released between 1986 when She-Ra ended and 2018 when the She-Ra reboot began. So this is a fairly big risk.

But yeah, things like this are kinda funky. Also, I'll probably pick it up if it's under $150.
    No, CMON do 90+% of their stuff through kickstarter, it's basically their business model. They probably pump 10 games a year out via kickstarter, they just did a marvel game like that, so I wouldn't see this as them not having faith in the brand. It's just the way they make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    No Europe, which is disappointing.
    I really hope that the lack of Europe in the announcement is simply because they don't have a distribution agreement set yet, and not that it will be unavailable to Europe. It's already hard enough getting Mega Construx stuff over here, missing out on kickstarter goodies will really suck

Heroic Warrior

Fun

Can't wait to hear more details about gameplay and characters that will be in the game, long shot but I'm hoping for Clamp Champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Kunle View Post
    Can't wait to hear more details about gameplay and characters that will be in the game, long shot but I'm hoping for Clamp Champ.
    Often kickstarter campaigns have stretch goals. Maybe Clamp Champ and other characters would be one of the stretch goals?

Heroic Warrior
    I just noticed that this is the first time we've gotten a really nice pic of the new logo.

I really like it.

I am definitely adding the new MOTU Board Game and UNO Cards to my collection!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    Often kickstarter campaigns have stretch goals. Maybe Clamp Champ and other characters would be one of the stretch goals?
    CMON do a huge amount of stretch goals & add-on's. I'd imagine Clamp Champ & every other known name will get a miniature. They even do vehicles, so we may get some Sky Sleds or something.

I did the basic pledge for Zombicide 2nd Edition recently...which gave us 167 minis! (multiples of each zombie) And there were heaps of add-on sets if you wanted even more characters!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...on/description

Oh, I thought it was like a D&D tabletop RPG type of board game.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

I just recently backed their Night of the Living Dead game, and I'm super impressed with all the updates they've been giving on the back of that, and you can be rest assured that with MOTU being in the hands of CMoN, we'll be very happy with the end result. I was pretty darn excited when I heard about this game coming out!!!

With D&D enjoying more mainstream popularity in recent years, I'll wager that a MOTU RPG game will come out at some point.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition - for one that will not cure, the other will!

Unapologetic TEELA fan.
    Check out some of my resin toys! some cool stuff coming soon! http://lordchaoscreations.bigcartel.com/
    This one goes up to 11... When Cannons Fade

Chris here...

Tabletop gaming has become my favourite hobby, so it goes without saying that I'm more excited for this than I have been for any MOTU product in years!! I will 100% be getting this when it comes out, hopefully some of my gaming group will be up for playing it, but even if not it will hopefully either have a solo play mode or failing all else I will have hours of fun painting the miniatures!

I do agree that a MOTU RPG game in the style of D&D would be amazing and my hope is that this is a success so that games companies will realise that this is a huge market to tap into amongst us fans who grew up with MOTU!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

Tabletop gaming has become my favourite hobby, so it goes without saying that I'm more excited for this than I have been for any MOTU product in years!! I will 100% be getting this when it comes out, hopefully some of my gaming group will be up for playing it, but even if not it will hopefully either have a solo play mode or failing all else I will have hours of fun painting the miniatures!

I do agree that a MOTU RPG game in the style of D&D would be amazing and my hope is that this is a success so that games companies will realise that this is a huge market to tap into amongst us fans who grew up with MOTU!

Take care...
    Always wonderful to see my best buddy Chris back on the forums, especially since I'm back too. I haven't had much experience in tabletop gaming, so you'll have to tell me how, Chris. It would also be awesome if we could play together (from opposite corners of the world). My old friend Kit's experienced in this, although he hasn't played in like forever, but we should coax him so we could have a three-way game!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

I love warhammer so the idea of this really appeals.

I have backed some mantic games kickstarters and was very happy with the results and am used to waiting what with all the figure pre orders these days.

make or break for me will be how they handle uk based.....I've spent the last couple of decades being bent over by international shipping, customs: vat and processing charges and am now really rather raw!
    Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

"everything will probably not be all right, but we have to try." V. Putin
    " sometimes it is necessary to be lonely in order to prove that you are right." V. Putin

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by clashfromjem View Post
    I love warhammer so the idea of this really appeals.
    I've also gotten into Warhammer in recent years, particularly the fantasy side with Age of Sigmar, so yes that's another reason that this really floats my boat. Good to find a fellow fan!

Take care...

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    The news that a new, modern, MotU miniatures tabletop game is (finally, at long last) in the making, to be released as part of the current golden-era renaissance of boardgames, is great!

The news that a very respectable miniatures- and boardgame-publishing company like CMON (responsible for some outstanding releases, such as the Arcadia Quest, Zombicide, Blood Rage, and XenoShyft series) is behind the project, is super great!!

The news that they are totally locking us European fans out of it, is A TOTAL INFURIATING DOWNER

apparently due to geographic distribution licensing limitations imposed by Mattel...
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    The news that a new, modern, MotU miniatures tabletop game is (finally, at long last) in the making, to be released as part of the current golden-era renaissance of boardgames, is great!

The news that a very respectable miniatures- and boardgame-publishing company like CMON (responsible for some outstanding releases, such as the Arcadia Quest, Zombicide, Blood Rage, and XenoShyft series) is behind the project, is super great!!

The news that they are totally locking us European fans out of it, is A TOTAL INFURIATING DOWNER

apparently due to geographic distribution licensing limitations imposed by Mattel...
    in these days of the modern global economy both Hasbro and mattel seem to look upon the European comsumer market the same way that people looked at the bit of the map that said "here be dragons" back in the 12th century!

- - - Updated - - -

Chris here...

I've also gotten into Warhammer in recent years, particularly the fantasy side with Age of Sigmar, so yes that's another reason that this really floats my boat. Good to find a fellow fan!

Take care...
    slowly getting started with age of sigmar...... gameboards and terrain made....just getting armies painted as within my circle of friends who are interested in playing i'm the only one with any arty talents. until the gaming can start i'm running a one man show!
    Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

"everything will probably not be all right, but we have to try." V. Putin
    " sometimes it is necessary to be lonely in order to prove that you are right." V. Putin

Heroic Warrior
    CMON?

Weren't they one of the scary 'KS warning stories' around KS? Taking money from one project and putting towards something else and people got screwed. Or taking too long... or not having any communications?

It seems like whenever people complain about Reaper Miniatures or one of the other very few KS i supported... the response was "At least they aren't like CMON'.... i never dug into the rumors... anyone else hear these?

I'd love to get some He-man miniatures... but i'm always hesitant to back a KS from people I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    CMON?

Weren't they one of the scary 'KS warning stories' around KS? Taking money from one project and putting towards something else and people got screwed. Or taking too long... or not having any communications?

It seems like whenever people complain about Reaper Miniatures or one of the other very few KS i supported... the response was "At least they aren't like CMON'.... i never dug into the rumors... anyone else hear these?

I'd love to get some He-man miniatures... but i'm always hesitant to back a KS from people I don't know.
    Sad but true. Here is a short video why:

In the end its up to you. Do you want to back it on KS ("Stretch Goals") or wait for the retail version? To be fair, if no one supports the project there will be no game at all but I am very sure it will not be canceled...

The video shows a personal opinion but I can feel him.
    Last edited by halopriest; June 25, 2020 at 07:51am.

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by clashfromjem View Post
    slowly getting started with age of sigmar...... gameboards and terrain made....just getting armies painted as within my circle of friends who are interested in playing i'm the only one with any arty talents. until the gaming can start i'm running a one man show!
    Whereas in my circle of friends it takes me the same time to paint one model as it does for them to paint a whole army, and theirs end up looking better!!

Take care...

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Chris here...

Whereas in my circle of friends it takes me the same time to paint one model as it does for them to paint a whole army, and theirs end up looking better!!

Take care...
    Same. Fortunately I have a very talented buddy who loves to paint and likes to paint mine for me. I keep buying, he keeps painting.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.