Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Board Game coming from CMON - Discussion thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MOTU Board Game coming from CMON - Discussion thread

Click here to donate to the Kickstarter before it ends on Fri, October 1, 2021 at 10:00 PM EDT

----------
    From CMON:

CMON has the Power!

When Eternia is threatened by Skeletor and his vile minions, the noble Prince Adam holds aloft the Sword of Power and proclaims, "By the Power of Grayskull, I have the power!", transforming into He-Man! These battles have raged endlessly in toy stores, living rooms, and playrooms, but soon, gamers will be able to recreate these epic struggles on their tabletops. CMON is proud to announce a licensing agreement with Mattel to create and publish Masters of the Universe: The Board Game in North America, South America and throughout Asia.

Michael Shinall, CMON's Design and Development Manager, and Developer Leo Almeida, veteran game-makers who have had a hand in designing and developing hit games like Bloodborne: The Board Game, and A Song of Ice and Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game are taking the designing reigns on Masters of the Universe: The Board Game. They are developing a new game system that will take advantage of the iconic setting and universe as well as bring in many of the setting's most beloved characters. The game will feature highly-detailed miniature figures of these characters, giving both gamers and collectors a thrill.

When asked about creating a game based on the groundbreaking toy line, Michael Shinall said, "Masters was a part of most of our childhoods. People of a certain age know all about it. Simply saying, 'I have the Power' is automatically said in one's mind a certain way because of it. Now, this game will bring an entirely new generation to Eternia and its many characters. Parents will be able to pass down their love for He-Man to their children, and that's amazing."

Since its inception in 1982, Masters of the Universe has been a cultural phenomenon transcending generations and igniting "the power" amongst fans around the world. Now, after more than 30 years, Mattel is bringing Masters of the Universe back and is setting out to create a global evergreen franchise with multiple content access points expanding the story and characters within the vast universe.

"As Mattel looks to unlock the power of its IP, partnering with CMON is the latest step to bring back one of the company's most famous contributions to pop-culture -- He-Man, Skeletor, and the Power of Grayskull from Masters of the Universe," said Janet Hsu, Chief Franchise Officer, Mattel. "This new game system will be sure to introduce fans to the most iconic characters through a fresh interpretation of Eternia as it has never been seen before."

Masters of the Universe: The Board Game will launch on Kickstarter in 2021.

Stay tuned for more exciting information as we approach the launch of the campaign.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

This is awesome, awesome news. I will definitely support this and can't wait to hear more details about gameplay. I hope it's an epic strategy game, but I'll get it no matter what it is.

I am confused as to why they're announcing a Kickstarter campaign that won't begin for at least seven months though. This means the game is still a long ways away, which means this announcement comes with a twinge of disappointment. IMO, an announcement just prior to campaign launch makes more sense and keeps excitement going.

Still... Yay! I hope it's a huge success.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    This is awesome, awesome news. I will definitely support this and can't wait to hear more details about gameplay. I hope it's an epic strategy game, but I'll get it no matter what it is.

I am confused as to why they're announcing a Kickstarter campaign that won't begin for at least seven months though. This means the game is still a long ways away, which means this announcement comes with a twinge of disappointment. IMO, an announcement just prior to campaign launch makes more sense and keeps excitement going.

Still... Yay! I hope it's a huge success.
    I'm in for everything!!!

My guess is the announcement is this early to build hype. CMON will likely have every render done and all artwork completed before they even launch. This early hype will drive their labors until the launch. They have an amazing track record, fantastic quality sculpts, top notch artwork and good game play. This will truly be something for collectors!

I will be using the minis for Kaiju Kaos: Guardians of Edin but I will definitely play the actual game as well.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

This is awesome news. I hope that it's not to complicate but has lots of replay value.

Also not sure which art style I would want it to be similar to, classics, 200x, etc.

Kickstarter makes most sense for a board game. I'm sure it'll be around $300 with all the extras. No way they could get that at a big retail chain or retail would have a place to sell a board game that expensive. At least it might be available at some local game stores.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

I'm hoping it's one of those crazy, massive games with about a zillion miniatures like Zombicide or the recent Might Morphin Power Rangers and TMNT games. My friends have all been picking those up and painting the miniatures, etc. Now it's my turn!
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

I felt like I was back at Power Con getting totally and happily blindsided by awesome announcements!

This is fantastic news! I canít wait! (But Iím gonna have to)

Powerful news! Very exciting! Biggest downside (like the new animation underway and character guide compendium) is having to wait another year.

Sent from my Power Sword using the Force

Heroic Warrior
    CMON is one of the biggest boardgaming companies around today, so this is huge news.
    Their Kick-starters raise millions, but expect the all in package to be expensive! That being said it's pretty much a given that you are going to end up with a huge amount of quality miniatures, which is exactly what you want for this franchise. I wonder how deep into the roster they will go?

For those unfamiliar with CMON their games are targeted at the 12-Adult crowd, so expect something more complex then the stuff you find at walmart (but normally not too complex.)

Their 'flagship' game is zombiecide, so google that if you want to know the kind of thing it will look like. Michael Shinall also made a CMON game called Rum and Bones (a pirate game) which kind of felt MOTU with all the characters in it, so give that one a google as well.

Awesome News! Can't Wait!!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

No Europe, which is disappointing.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Same here! I live in Europe!

So i can't buy one I will not pay secundary market prices...

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I really hope that the lack of Europe in the announcement is simply because they don't have a distribution agreement set yet, and not that it will be unavailable to Europe. It's already hard enough getting Mega Construx stuff over here, missing out on kickstarter goodies will really suck

Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    CMON is one of the biggest boardgaming companies around today, so this is huge news.
    Kickstarters from established companies always make me queasy. Unless something has changed with Kickstarter, the rule has always been that the service is not for product preorders. Given the circumstances, it really looks like thatís what this is.

But whining about that aside, this sounds really cool. Nobody in my sphere plays board games so Iíd probably only be getting this for the artwork and to support the brand, but thatís enough for me.
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Kickstarters from established companies always make me queasy. Unless something has changed with Kickstarter, the rule has always been that the service is not for product preorders. Given the circumstances, it really looks like thatís what this is.

But whining about that aside, this sounds really cool. Nobody in my sphere plays board games so Iíd probably only be getting this for the artwork and to support the brand, but thatís enough for me.
    I think this is because they're unsure whether or not this will sell at all. I mean, to most people, MOTU is a joke property. Most people don't know what an Alcala is, or even that there was anything MOTU released between 1986 when She-Ra ended and 2018 when the She-Ra reboot began. So this is a fairly big risk.

But yeah, things like this are kinda funky. Also, I'll probably pick it up if it's under $150.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    I think this is because they're unsure whether or not this will sell at all. I mean, to most people, MOTU is a joke property. Most people don't know what an Alcala is, or even that there was anything MOTU released between 1986 when She-Ra ended and 2018 when the She-Ra reboot began. So this is a fairly big risk.

But yeah, things like this are kinda funky. Also, I'll probably pick it up if it's under $150.
    No, CMON do 90+% of their stuff through kickstarter, it's basically their business model. They probably pump 10 games a year out via kickstarter, they just did a marvel game like that, so I wouldn't see this as them not having faith in the brand. It's just the way they make money.

Heroic Warrior
    This is fun! I've never been a part of something like this.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Heroic Podcaster
    Wow I jumped in for the whole $220 pledge before Webstor was unlocked yet and we are already closing on Extendar!

Rad!
    THE VINTAGE-TO-CLASSICS COUNTDOWN IS COMPLETE!!!

I'm loving these character announcements. Really didn't think we'd see Extendar!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    I'm loving these character announcements. Really didn't think we'd see Extendar!
    We got him.

$580K Blast Attack!

- - - Updated - - -

We got him!

$610K for boulders to replace the cardboard tokens.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Extender and Blast Attack being stretch goals makes me think that the Sorceress and other heavy hitters will be daily reveals.

I'm so happy it's doing so well right off the bat.

Heroic Warrior
    Boulders?!?! Yes!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crash109 View Post
    Boulders?!?! Yes!!!!!!
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3c4c558c03.gif

With the way these stretch goals are going, I'm REALLY curious if all the terrain pieces have a possibility of being plastic? That would be REALLY cool if only the game gameboard was cardboard.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Heroic Warrior
    Scareglow!

Quote Originally Posted by Crash109 View Post
    Scareglow!

You beat me to it! Lol

I'm really excited for Scareglow!