Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Board Game coming from CMON - Discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I had that same thought about this Q&A hitting on the same day as the new cartoon's trailer. Hopefully they get a lot of view after the fact, and a successful kickstarter.

I enjoyed the Q&A. I haven't played a board game in 20 years, so most of what they were talking about regarding play mechanics and what type of game it is, was over my head. But the Castle Grayskull piece looks awesome. Helena said it was almost 9" tall! That's a lot larger than I was thinking. I have no idea how much this kind of game would cost, but I would love to get it. The pieces I've seen so far look really great. I'll have to find out how to paint them though. I actually know how to paint pictures, but haven't had luck painting toys in the couple of attempts I've made. I guess you have to buy those fancy Warhammer paints? This is all new to me but I'm looking forward to the Kickstarter reveal.

I'm also glad to hear that you can play it solo, as that is what I'll probably be doing (if I play it at all).

Do you have any guess on what ballpark the price would be?
    I'm right with you on the game mechanics stuff. That all went WAY over my head, which is why I didn't even attempt to transcribe it. Lol It all looks fun, though! Just a lot of learning for me.

I also need to learn how to paint these. I saw a couple YouTube videos where someone showed how to paint the Archon He-Man on Battlecat and Skeletor on Panthor. It was cool because it showed the paints they used. I'm just unsure if they primed them first? That wasn't clear to me.

For cost, I agree with what everyone here has posted. I researched their past Kickstarters and it really varies. The most expensive one appears to be the Game of Thrones one. Buying all the optional stuff made it a crazy price. So crazy, I stopped adding and moved along. Lol I am hoping/guessing the most this one would be would be $250 with all the options. The basic, core sets seem to be about $100.

There are a few game players videos on YouTube today! It does look like a fun game!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Disclaimer, I have never bought or backed anything from CMON before, so this is all guesswork on my part. I did find their Cthuhlu game they did was some massive pieces and tons of minis for around $250 if I'm reading it right... My gut says that it may be a similar gameplan with this one? But again, "I know nothing'.

That said the giant Cthulhu is on Ebay now for around $500 Soooooo I really wish I HAD heard about that when it was live

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-death-may-die
    Ha ha Helena and the 2 guys on the stream mentioned that this Castle Grayskull would not be as limited as that Cthulu piece. They said they learned their lesson with that one. Reading between the lines, it was a major fiasco.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I'm right with you on the game mechanics stuff. That all went WAY over my head, which is why I didn't even attempt to transcribe it. Lol It all looks fun, though! Just a lot of learning for me.

I also need to learn how to paint these. I saw a couple YouTube videos where someone showed how to paint the Archon He-Man on Battlecat and Skeletor on Panthor. It was cool because it showed the paints they used. I'm just unsure if they primed them first? That wasn't clear to me.

For cost, I agree with what everyone here has posted. I researched their past Kickstarters and it really varies. The most expensive one appears to be the Game of Thrones one. Buying all the optional stuff made it a crazy price. So crazy, I stopped adding and moved along. Lol I am hoping/guessing the most this one would be would be $250 with all the options. The basic, core sets seem to be about $100.

There are a few game players videos on YouTube today! It does look like a fun game!
    Thanks for the info. I'll look up that painting video. If I have to buy$100 of paint on top of the game...ooofff. But I have a ton of acrylic paint now. I might go into the comic shop and see if I can buy a little figure and see if I can pull it off.

It's funny, I am building a custom Castle Grayskull. It's big and I can paint big no problem. Bit wherever I try to work with small items, its tough.

It does look like a fun game. Especially if I could find a couple other MOTU fans in the area and do a monthly game night or something.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I bet if I found another person here online who had the set, we could play on zoom. People play chess that way.

- - - Updated - - -

As expensive as that sounds I know a real quality game with nice pieces is worth it. You'll have it forever and it sounds like c'mon makes good games.

I've just spent so much this past year on motu. I bought up most of the vintage line too, except for the last 10 figures or so that are all $100+, and not counting the giants and dinosaurs and laser lights...

Thanks for the info. I'll look up that painting video. If I have to buy$100 of paint on top of the game...ooofff. But I have a ton of acrylic paint now. I might go into the comic shop and see if I can buy a little figure and see if I can pull it off.

It's funny, I am building a custom Castle Grayskull. It's big and I can paint big no problem. Bit wherever I try to work with small items, its tough.

It does look like a fun game. Especially if I could find a couple other MOTU fans in the area and do a monthly game night or something.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I bet if I found another person here online who had the set, we could play on zoom. People play chess that way.

- - - Updated - - -

As expensive as that sounds I know a real quality game with nice pieces is worth it. You'll have it forever and it sounds like c'mon makes good games.

I've just spent so much this past year on motu. I bought up most of the vintage line too, except for the last 10 figures or so that are all $100+, and not counting the giants and dinosaurs and laser lights...
    I used to work with a LOT of guys that painted miniatures. It's too bad I don't work with them anymore. They could have helped me. Lol

That's a GREAT idea about zoom! I know I won't be able to find anyone locally.

I hear you. MOTU Fandom can be expensive.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

I'm really interested in this, but I have NEVER played a game like this before.

How difficult is it to get the basics? Will I be able to learn with my 9-year-old daughter?
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post

How difficult is it to get the basics? Will I be able to learn with my 9-year-old daughter?
    Having never played anything like this myself, it was a bit confusing at first, but gets easier as you watch. They're figuring it out as they go too. Lol If you watch a video once it's final, it will be easier. Since this is a prototype, game play can be different from the final product, but it gives you a good idea of what it's like:

I think this game looks like it's easy to play after some practice.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 20, 2021 at 10:14pm.

I think this game will play brilliantly! The way they designed it will allow for a MASSIVE amount of customization and thus replayability! The ruleset and sandbox-esque design allows it to be VERY episodic! We can essentially recreate ANY MOTU episode we want (within the rules of the game) and even easily create some fan-made components (like terrain).

CMON is known for going over the top on the miniatures included so we have a VERY good chance of having an entire MOTU line in one swoop!

The miniatures look great too!

I'm all in!!!
    Last edited by Sllohcin; August 21, 2021 at 07:16pm.

I just watched the playthrough and I'm thoroughly impressed with the system they've put together for the game. It looks like it'll be a blast to play and it's relatively straightforward rules wise so teaching it to people won't be too difficult.

I was going to do the full pledge anyway just for the novelty of collecting, but now I'm excited to play the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post

It's a fairly complex system that'll take a few playthroughs to get into a rhythm. There are only so many things you can do on your turn, so that makes it easier to learn. I wouldn't think your daughter would have any trouble getting the rules down fairly quick. Worst case scenario you could probably even ditch the scenarios and just do 2v2 character duels for fun if your kid is struggling with certain aspects of the game. Not sure how balanced it'd be, but it'd be entertaining.

Posted some of our videos earlier, we got sent a prototype copy to look at (a first for us, so we're super excited!)

Here's our take of what's in the box:

We also have some quick videos highlighting the miniatures with a 360 view.

Evil Warriors

Heroic Warriors

We're really excited to be in a position where we can explore this game in such depth and we'd love to get another shot at talking with the designers. The first time, it was a lot of speculation and things they couldn't quite talk about yet. We're brainstorming a list of things to explore (beyond spoilers like "what mini is going to be revealed as part of the KS pledge?") - does anyone have things they'd like to see discussed if we can get them on to talk again?

I used to work with a LOT of guys that painted miniatures. It's too bad I don't work with them anymore. They could have helped me. Lol

That's a GREAT idea about zoom! I know I won't be able to find anyone locally.

I hear you. MOTU Fandom can be expensive.
    Once the game is out, maybe we can start a thread here to set up games. Hopefully that is allowed. Maybe there is a better way to do it but it would be cool to play with others here on the org.

Once the game is out, maybe we can start a thread here to set up games. Hopefully that is allowed. Maybe there is a better way to do it but it would be cool to play with others here on the org.
    After you mentioned it last night, I was thinking about it a lot. If there's a good turnout, after doing it for awhile, we could eventually do tournaments if there's interest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chase - OTTG View Post
    We're really excited to be in a position where we can explore this game in such depth and we'd love to get another shot at talking with the designers. The first time, it was a lot of speculation and things they couldn't quite talk about yet. We're brainstorming a list of things to explore (beyond spoilers like "what mini is going to be revealed as part of the KS pledge?") - does anyone have things they'd like to see discussed if we can get them on to talk again?
    One question I see asked frequently is what type of plastic the final minis will be made of.

I'm curious about the cards and dice. Some of the cards look fairly thin and flimsy. Will the final ones be thicker/sturdier, are those final, or were they just rushed for the prototype? An example would be all the cards for the controller board. They look single sided and in plastic sleeves.

Will the final dice have stickers on them or will the images be engraved/etched in?

That's all I can think of for now.

After you mentioned it last night, I was thinking about it a lot. If there's a good turnout, after doing it for awhile, we could eventually do tournaments if there's interest.
    I thought of that too. Hopefully there will be enough interest in the game to allow for lots of matches and even tournaments like you said. I'm not good with any of that tech stuff, but I'm sure someone will be.

We could have a thread for painting tips too, or to just share what we've all done. I'm already talking like I'm going to get it, but I probably will. It looks great and I'd honestly love the opportunity to talk motu with others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chase - OTTG View Post
    Posted some of our videos earlier, we got sent a prototype copy to look at (a first for us, so we're super excited!)

Here's our take of what's in the box:
    https://youtu.be/VrsagAdXglA

We also have some quick videos highlighting the miniatures with a 360 view.

Evil Warriors
    https://youtu.be/e8mtU9XUzQw

Heroic Warriors
    https://youtu.be/rnuMNvLw2Qg

I'm completely new to this. Are there any videos on your channel about painting these things? What type of paints to use? I know there are lots of videos about painting, but I'm guessing the paints needed might vary depending on what type of plastic is used on the pieces.

Here's a gameplay video with two people: one as the controller and one as the player.

I'm completely new to this. Are there any videos on your channel about painting these things? What type of paints to use? I know there are lots of videos about painting, but I'm guessing the paints needed might vary depending on what type of plastic is used on the pieces.

We don't have any painting tutorials, we're relatively new to all this ourselves, but you might consider checking out Mike Meeple's Painting Poorly Series. How to get good results with a range of paints without spending a lot of money. He's also on Youtube.

I REALLY hope CMON revisits the game board art itself (and the terrain tiles). It's just too bland as is (especially for it's size). Maybe the board is fine actually but the terrain tiles, etc. definitely need more character or something. It all just "looks" so boring...

Heroic Warrior
    I've never played a game like this one or Archon's before so it's all over my head but I'm all in on Archon and I'm planning to be all-in on this one, too. The one giant step-up the CMON game has for me is that hex-board and tiles. Even if I never play the game as intended those pieces can be used with the RPG much more than the Archon board.

Thanks again for the advice. I will decide and either buy through Kickstarter or not at all. I know enough of MOTU that relying on the secondary market is a mistake.
    If I may make a suggestion... On day 1 of the Kickstarter (which is September 14th), if there is any sort of "Early Bird" offering pledge for that and then use the remaining time of campaign to decide if that is what you really want or if you want anything at all. If you change your mind on anything then change your pledge before the ending deadline dropping it down to a level you actually want or just to a $1 to basically get out of it (not sure if you can cancel-out of a Kickstarter pledge completely, you might be...). If you want that castle you will need to pledge for it during the campaign, they aren't limiting the number to a pre-set number that they'll make but they are going to limit it to the number ordered during the campaign and pledge manager time. I do wonder how much the castle will cost, though. Archon's is 40 Euros as an add-on (roughly US$47) and it's a quarter of the size (well, maybe, they've said that they're going to scale theirs up before production but they have not said by how much).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    I've never played a game like this one or Archon's before so it's all over my head but I'm all in on Archon and I'm planning to be all-in on this one, too. The one giant step-up the CMON game has for me is that hex-board and tiles. Even if I never play the game as intended those pieces can be used with the RPG much more than the Archon board.

If I may make a suggestion... On day 1 of the Kickstarter (which is September 14th), if there is any sort of "Early Bird" offering pledge for that and then use the remaining time of campaign to decide if that is what you really want or if you want anything at all. If you change your mind on anything then change your pledge before the ending deadline dropping it down to a level you actually want or just to a $1 to basically get out of it (not sure if you can cancel-out of a Kickstarter pledge completely, you might be...). If you want that castle you will need to pledge for it during the campaign, they aren't limiting the number to a pre-set number that they'll make but they are going to limit it to the number ordered during the campaign and pledge manager time. I do wonder how much the castle will cost, though. Archon's is 40 Euros as an add-on (roughly US$47) and it's a quarter of the size (well, maybe, they've said that they're going to scale theirs up before production but they have not said by how much).
    Good advice. I'll keep allof that in mind once it starts.

August 27-28, CMON is having their Virtual EXPO.

Saturday, August 28, 12pm PT/3pm ET

Masters of the Universe: We Have the Panel!

An in-depth look at Masters of the Universe: Clash for Eternia

I am not amazing myself And Iíve only been painting miniatures for a year or so but painting minis can be relaxing and it is not too hard to achieve respectable results. I would say just follow some YouTube videos take your time and remember that you can fix any mistake. My kids and I will paint together and we have a blast. Have fun with it! I for one cannot wait for both boardgames to come out especially this one to have some he-man minis to paint and use in other board games, role-playing games and games like rangers of shadow deep and frostgrave.
    12 Step Rebels-Erie Americana Punk Rock/Psychobilly
    https://music.apple.com/us/artist/12...ebels/28428100

Quote Originally Posted by jakobinsane View Post
    I am not amazing myself And Iíve only been painting miniatures for a year or so but painting minis can be relaxing and it is not too hard to achieve respectable results. I would say just follow some YouTube videos take your time and remember that you can fix any mistake. My kids and I will paint together and we have a blast. Have fun with it! I for one cannot wait for both boardgames to come out especially this one to have some he-man minis to paint and use in other board games, role-playing games and games like rangers of shadow deep and frostgrave.
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate that you said respectable results are not that hard to come by. That puts me more at ease.

I guess my main concern is what paints to use. I would rather not have to buy a whole line of expensive paints for this, especially if this game will cost $200+ for the complete set. I have a ton of oil and acrylic fine art paints already, but I don't know if they are appropriate. I guess I really should just buy a figurine and try it out and see.

Heroic Warrior
    Sigh.... I wonder what the odds are of them offering a 'Just the mini's' pledge? Really don't think I'd ever find anyone to play the actual game... but really want the miniatures.

Heroic Warrior
    Play it solo.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Sigh.... I wonder what the odds are of them offering a 'Just the mini's' pledge? Really don't think I'd ever find anyone to play the actual game... but really want the miniatures.
    The vast majority of the cost is from the miniatures. Even if they did offer something like this you wouldn't save as much as you'd think.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate that you said respectable results are not that hard to come by. That puts me more at ease.

I guess my main concern is what paints to use. I would rather not have to buy a whole line of expensive paints for this, especially if this game will cost $200+ for the complete set. I have a ton of oil and acrylic fine art paints already, but I don't know if they are appropriate. I guess I really should just buy a figurine and try it out and see.
    What I did was get one or two packs of miniature paints from say army painter or vallejo or something similar and then just add the paints you need as you come across them. Plus you can mix paints to achieve what colors you need. It really is a hobby that you can start small and grow with as you need or feel you need them. And definitely grab some models to practice on first as you wait for the game. Then by the time the game comes you'll be ready to paint some awesome MOTU minis.
    12 Step Rebels-Erie Americana Punk Rock/Psychobilly
    https://music.apple.com/us/artist/12...ebels/28428100

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

As I sort of eluded to over in the Archon fields of eternia thread, this game is bittersweet to me.
    I will be all in on day 1, but the board itself looks basic, and the game play shown off so far could fit any generic property, I have yet to see something really stand out (Other than that castle sculpt!) I am all in, it will be a fine enough game, but the bittersweet part to me is that me and my game groups personal preference is a game more similar to Archon, and the fact that these 2 being announced/funded at effectively the same time makes it impossible to not compare the 2.

4v1 game play is a tough sell in my opinion. It causes more issues than its worth often in many groups, and you need the right group make up to really get it to work, at least that has been my experience. I love 4v1, I own multiple 4v1 games, most people however do not want to play them, so here is hoping the AI system is fleshed out and properly works. I already do not like the caveat the team keeps saying where "Some scenarios NEED a human as the 1" to me, that screams that AI is an after thought when some scenarios are designed with no AI as the 1. 4v1's also always tend to feel, cheapened, without a group of 4-5 players playing it. As of right now, based on the playthroughs I have watched, it doesn't seem like the 1 has a significant more power over the 4, so hopefully its not as bad as other 4v1's.

I will, again, be all in, I can use these minis else where such as in the RPG game even if I ultimately hate this game.

And on their own my 2 concerns would not bother me much, but with them paired up I do have some reservations regarding this game. If only the game board stood out more, it just doesn't scream MoTU or stand out enough, from the play throughs its just not.. attractive looking... as a game.. not like Archons board...

But then there is that 3D castle Grayskull terrain piece... and I have hope...

CMON does not disappoint with their miniatures, theyre typically great quality, large enough to see clear details, fun to paint.

And worst case scenario... I'll be busting out my heroscape terrain and custom building game boards
    It always takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to edit this signature

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!