Thread: MOTU Origins Wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by DadStrong View Post
    Laser Light Skeletor
    Laser Power He-Man
    Wun-Dar (already have the tooling)
    Movie Characters
    Spikor
    Webstor
    Terror Claw Skeletor (already have the tooling for most of it)
    You for got Flying Fists He-Man.

Sadly movie characters are in a bit of a gray area with rights, not that I would mind some kind of work around to get something close to Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post

Sadly movie characters are in a bit of a gray area with rights, not that I would mind some kind of work around to get something close to Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella.
    Oh I know the movie is such a grey area but a man just wants to hope and dream! I may be crucified for this but I was never a fan of FF He-Man
    Instagram: dadhausen

Quote Originally Posted by DadStrong View Post
    I may be crucified for this but I was never a fan of FF He-Man
    I've never had one, but if you're going to have Terror Claws Skeletor... Also I like how his armor looks, and I'm hoping we can get the trifecta of metallic figures (Hurricane Hordak, Flying Fists He-Man, and Terror Claws Skeletor).
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

I just watched a Youtube video by ToyGuru a few days ago and it somewhat came across as a warning that the huge amounts of He-Man and Skeletor still left on the pegs at Walmart are a bad sign for the line. I'm seeing the exact same thing happening at most of my regional Target stores (although they've have only been on shelves for 12 days).

At this point, it seems like we are getting at least six waves, but I'm going to cross my fingers that we at least get the complete vintage line. Anything beyond that is fine with me, but I really don't want Mattel giving us a bunch of new figures or questionable(?) variants and the line tanks before we can finish the vintage set.

Tytus
    Megator
    Laser Power/Light
    Eternia Playset
    Rotar/Twistoid

Origins versions of their vintage counterparts are probably the highest on my priority list since they are ridiculously difficult to find for less than a fortune on the secondary market.

I've never had one, but if you're going to have Terror Claws Skeletor... Also I like how his armor looks, and I'm hoping we can get the trifecta of metallic figures (Hurricane Hordak, Flying Fists He-Man, and Terror Claws Skeletor).
    I can definitely get behind your logic... Just saying if they don't make him I won't lose sleep. If they do make him, I will of course buy him.
    Instagram: dadhausen

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    I just watched a Youtube video by ToyGuru a few days ago and it somewhat came across as a warning that the huge amounts of He-Man and Skeletor still left on the pegs at Walmart are a bad sign for the line. I'm seeing the exact same thing happening at most of my regional Target stores (although they've have only been on shelves for 12 days).

At this point, it seems like we are getting at least six waves, but I'm going to cross my fingers that we at least get the complete vintage line. Anything beyond that is fine with me, but I really don't want Mattel giving us a bunch of new figures or questionable(?) variants and the line tanks before we can finish the vintage set.

Tytus
    Megator
    Laser Power/Light
    Eternia Playset
    Rotar/Twistoid

Origins versions of their vintage counterparts are probably the highest on my priority list since they are ridiculously difficult to find for less than a fortune on the secondary market.
    I think I've be fine is the rest of the He-Man and Skeletor figures can in two packs, only.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

We have gotten, or will have gotten once all the announced waves have been released, through a surprising number of characters released in the original vintage 80s line. I think if we can finish out everything that was released in the vintage MOTU line, that's good enough for me. I'd like to see some popular characters not released in the 80s like Queen Marlena, Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, etc, but for Origins, I'm not really concerned about going off into the weeds with character selection. I prefer that to be kept in Classics. While I appreciate POP, NA, and 200x characters, I don't feel like we need all of them in this line. I'd be fairly surprised if this line goes beyond 2022.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    We have gotten, or will have gotten once all the announced waves have been released, through a surprising number of characters released in the original vintage 80s line. I think if we can finish out everything that was released in the vintage MOTU line, that's good enough for me. I'd like to see some popular characters not released in the 80s like Queen Marlena, Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, etc, but for Origins, I'm not really concerned about going off into the weeds with character selection. I prefer that to be kept in Classics. While I appreciate POP, NA, and 200x characters, I don't feel like we need all of them in this line. I'd be fairly surprised if this line goes beyond 2022.
    So my crazy wishlist thing for Marlena is that they give her a green, female version of the Jitsu armor so she pairs well with a toy style Randor.

Going with toy inspired aesthetics opens up new takes on characters like Marzo and Plundor. Classics went partway 200x or Filmation with some of these characters but I feel like their Origins versions wouldn't necessarily do that. Maybe Plundor would have more of a pink Kobald or Usagi Yojimbo look with the talon boots he probably would have had as a vintage toy.

Classics blended everything but Origins seems to ask more, "What would this look like as a vintage toy?" Maybe Marzo would have Triclops' chestpiece in black, for instance, and look like the 200x version filtered through 80s toy parts reuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    So my crazy wishlist thing for Marlena is that they give her a green, female version of the Jitsu armor so she pairs well with a toy style Randor.
    Plot twist Marlena is going to be the Castle Grayskull "space man"
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

Just to speak up, as usual, for all the POP, NA, and Filmation fans, without whose dollars this line wouldn’t exist (because it likely exists, at least in part, due to how well Classics did for so long), and say that we want ALL of those characters included, along with vintage MOTU.
    A Want List
    Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Just to speak up, as usual, for all the POP, NA, and Filmation fans, without whose dollars this line wouldn’t exist (because it likely exists, at least in part, due to how well Classics did for so long), and say that we want ALL of those characters included, along with vintage MOTU.
    I am a fan of all of those factions, but the reality is, Origins is not Classics. Origins has to rely on maintained, healthy, non-collector sales to keep going, and I just don't think it's going to be around for years and years like Classics was. Classics was entirely supported by adult collectors, and was able to expand so much beyond vintage because of that. I just don't see that happening with Origins. If it does, that's great, and I'll happily include POP, NA, Filmation, 200x, etc factions into the line. But realistically, unless they find a way to grab the attention of kids in this line; kids whose parents aren't already adult collectors of MOTU; kids who currently know nothing about MOTU and have no new media to explore to get them interested in the brand, I don't see a long life with a lot of expansion into various factions.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

I wonder if the lack of ab crunch will increase the odds of Flying Fists He-Man having the vac metal paint.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I am a fan of all of those factions, but the reality is, Origins is not Classics. Origins has to rely on maintained, healthy, non-collector sales to keep going, and I just don't think it's going to be around for years and years like Classics was. Classics was entirely supported by adult collectors, and was able to expand so much beyond vintage because of that. I just don't see that happening with Origins. If it does, that's great, and I'll happily include POP, NA, Filmation, 200x, etc factions into the line. But realistically, unless they find a way to grab the attention of kids in this line; kids whose parents aren't already adult collectors of MOTU; kids who currently know nothing about MOTU and have no new media to explore to get them interested in the brand, I don't see a long life with a lot of expansion into various factions.
    I think they could easily add a subscription based sub-line focusing on variants and more obscure characters. I guess that depends on if someone at Mattel is interested in doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I wonder if the lack of ab crunch will increase the odds of Flying Fists He-Man having the vac metal paint.
    I really hope so.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I think they could easily add a subscription based sub-line focusing on variants and more obscure characters. I guess that depends on if someone at Mattel is interested in doing it.
    I think store exclusives may be healthier than subscriptions. Target and Walmart are both in that game with Origins already. Amazon, EE, or BBTS might do well picking up Snake Men as a niche store line, maybe in two packs. The risk as I see it with Snake Men is that they look too same-y. They're harder to keep track of to shop for someone else like a kid so they'd probably need to be spaced out in different waves unless they were bundled in Amazon two packs with a theme and maybe a different character.

He-Ro vs. King Hiss.
    Serpent Claw Man-at-Arms (with vintage toy head) vs. Squeezeplay.
    Snake Armor He-Man vs. Kobra Khan.

You get the basic idea. They'd have more unique selling points.

I could see this line possibly morphing into that type of model. If it's selling well with collectors but not kids, the solution isn't necessarily to kill the line, but refocus on who you are selling it to, and cater better to that customer. Right now, the line seems to be sort of all over the place, wanting to say it's for kids and selling it in that area of the store, but mostly marketing it to collectors.

I could see this line possibly morphing into that type of model. If it's selling well with collectors but not kids, the solution isn't necessarily to kill the line, but refocus on who you are selling it to, and cater better to that customer. Right now, the line seems to be sort of all over the place, wanting to say it's for kids and selling it in that area of the store, but mostly marketing it to collectors.
    I would love to see both coexisting - the very basic "remember your old 80s toys" MOTU Origins line at retain, and a sub line ("MOTU Origins Collector" or something) that is based on a subscription model that caters to adult collectors seeking 200x, NA, POP, Minicomic, cardback art and concept design figures.

I would love to see both coexisting - the very basic "remember your old 80s toys" MOTU Origins line at retain, and a sub line ("MOTU Origins Collector" or something) that is based on a subscription model that caters to adult collectors seeking 200x, NA, POP, Minicomic, cardback art and concept design figures.
    This is the way to go. Keep the line in the toy isle with well know heavy hitters and have a "selects" type line with blue vest Adam, Green Trap Jaw and Anti Eternia versions of anyone and every one.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

Master of Hosting Events! JohnnyC's Avatar
    Haven't been able to find any info on this, but does anyone know if it's been said that there would be a Prince Adam on a single card? Not a fan of having to get the sky sled.... but a single carded Adam would be on my wish list for sure.

-Johnny C

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    Haven't been able to find any info on this, but does anyone know if it's been said that there would be a Prince Adam on a single card? Not a fan of having to get the sky sled.... but a single carded Adam would be on my wish list for sure.

-Johnny C
    The leak/rumor list did not have Prince Adam on it but nothing is impossible. Maybe in time, but he'd have to be different from the one that came with the Skysled.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

Heroic Warrior
    The leak/rumor list did not have Prince Adam on it but nothing is impossible. Maybe in time, but he'd have to be different from the one that came with the Skysled.
    The one on the Skysled was made extra tan to be compatible with the spare head from Battle Armor He-Man.

A singlecarded version likely wouldn't get a vintage headsculpt option.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    The one on the Skysled was made extra tan to be compatible with the spare head from Battle Armor He-Man.

A singlecarded version likely wouldn't get a vintage headsculpt option.
    A single carded Adman could come with a pink half sword, and maybe a scepter of some kind, maybe a new vest with a holster for the sword. I would like them to keep the skin tone consistent across all He-Man and Adam toys.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

A single carded Adman could come with a pink half sword, and maybe a scepter of some kind, maybe a new vest with a holster for the sword. I would like them to keep the skin tone consistent across all He-Man and Adam toys.
    I hope a single carded blue/gold vest Adam gets released.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    I hope a single carded blue/gold vest Adam gets released.
    I'd like that too, but it's exclusive territory, and let's not say it can't, because we are still very early in the line and we're already getting Keldor and Kronis. Maybe blue vest Adam and Miro?
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

While there are a lot of figures I'd like to get, Mekaneck, Buzz Off, Faker, Whiplash, Clawful, and Kobra Khan are the only must haves left for me. Everything else will be icing on the cake.

I'd like that too, but it's exclusive territory, and let's not say it can't, because we are still very early in the line and we're already getting Keldor and Kronis. Maybe blue vest Adam and Miro?
    I think anything is on the table. She-Ra was a Powercon exclusive and there's also a retail version, only difference being the head sculpt. Hypothetically, I could see them releasing a blue vest Adam with a plastic vest instead of the cloth vest.
    Last edited by FAKER II; January 19, 2021 at 11:45am.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal