Thread: The Three Terrors, canon in filmation or not?

Heroic Warrior

The Three Terrors, canon in filmation or not?

Do we consider the Super7 Three Terrors cartoon canon in the original filmation series? i'm working on a timeline and not sure whether to add the 1000 year of King Heltor into it somewhere. Thanks

DO IT!

Admittedly, I only vaguely remember what Super7 put together for that little short (I think I watched a bootleggy version on youtube once or twice the year it came out?), but I own the action figures of them and always hoped that Super7 would've gotten the chance to make Classics versions of them with a little more "oomph" put into the sculpts. I say "legitamize 'em" and stick 'em in that timeline!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    When we wrote the Dark Horse 'MOTU: Character Guide and World Compendium', we gave 'The Curse of the Three Terrors' animated cartoon its own distinct canon designation.

I mean, it IS definitely an officially sanctioned and released animation, and it's set in the Filmation universe, so you could totally include it in Filmation's continuity from that perspective, BUT it wasn't actually produced by Filmation. None of the writers and production personnel from the studio were involved in it either, although it did include the voice of Alan Oppenheimer. We came to the decision that, while it is official and it is set in the Filmation world, it sort of stands apart as "its own thing."

Also, you'll note that 'The Curse of the Three Terrors' cartoon isn't included in James' 'Complete Guide to the Classic Animated Adventures'.

I guess, it's sort of like the Filmation universe being part of the DC 'Masters of the Multiverse' comic miniseries. Is that now also considered part of the Filmation continuity because a portion of the comic series was set in the cartoon world? Is the 200X portion considered part of the MYP storyline too? Etc?... I think it becomes a slippery slope, since all of that material happened well after the fact.

All this said, Wikipedia lists 'The Curse of the Three Terrors' as the 131st episode of the Filmation 'He-Man & the Masters of the Universe' series. I don't agree with that, however. I mean, it was made almost 30 years after the studio closed down. To me, it'd have to be Lou Scheimer and Hal Sutherland themselves who brought Filmation back, hired Rob Lamb, Tom Tataranowicz, Gwen Wetzler, John Erwin, Paul Dini, etc., and made a 131st episode. I think that's the only way I'd definitively consider it part of the events presented in the Filmation series.

Of course, none of this is to say you shouldn't include it in your timeline!
    Do it if you feel so inclined, of course. I'm just sharing my thoughts on this, as it made me raise an eyebrow when I noticed a few months ago that He-Man is now listed on Wikipedia as having 131 episodes instead of 130.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; June 3, 2020 at 06:51pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior
    Penny if you don't feel it's part of the canon then i won't include it, to me you're the go to girl for MOTU

The Three Terrors, canon in filmation or not?

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    Penny if you don't feel it's part of the canon then i won't include it, to me you're the go to girl for MOTU

Oh, gosh, I didn’t mean to discourage you from including it in your OWN timeline, if you wanted to have it there for your own enjoyment. The cartoon is official canon, but I simply consider it to be its own unique thing unto itself, and that’s the decision we came to for the Dark Horse guide’s canon designation as well. It’s set in the Filmation world, but distinct in that it wasn’t actually produced by Filmation and was made well after the studio closed down. It’s officially listed as ‘Super7 The Curse of the Three Terrors Cartoon’ in the Character Guide. Meanwhile, someone put it on Wikipedia as part of the Filmation series, so there’s that, but of course anyone can go in and edit/add to Wikipedia.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; June 4, 2020 at 09:47am.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Stuff like this or MOTU: Revelation I would not consider Filmation canon. If it were the same original company doing it it with the same original creative people then I might, but over 30 years later is pushing it. I'd call them a soft reboot, remake, or reimagining.

Panthor at Point Dread Old Bolty-Neck's Avatar
    The way I will tend to approach questions like this is to ask myself, "How would the makers of the actual canon material have treated this?" Meaning, let's suppose ... I know the following scenario could never happen, but I'm imagining just as a thought experiment ... that Filmation came back into full operation and started doing honest-to-goodness authorized He-Man cartoons now.

And they would have their new episodes treat the 1980s Filmation He-Man and She-Ra content as canon.

It seems to me that (in that imaginary scenario where Filmation comes back and resumes He-Man production) -- the makers of new content would have the choice to either include "Terrors" as canon or ignore it. To me, that's the key: I'm not saying they would include it, I'm not saying they would ignore it; what I'm saying is that the choice exists, and I hope that I'm explaining effectively. The existence of that choice -- "Terrors" is on the table to acknowledge or to leave it alone, whichever they feel like doing -- means it is not to be considered Filmation canon by us fans.

Long story short, I agree with the Character Guide classification. It's cool that a licensed professional company put together an animated adventure that has a Filmation look, but "Terrors" isn't canon.
    Of course there are more important things than toys, cartoons, movies, comics, and so forth. That's obviously true. I assume this is an understanding shared by everyone here, and that therefore my participation in a discussion thread is not interpreted as a sign that I am lacking in the aforementioned understanding. Thank you for observing that courtesy.

My Mega Construx gallery

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    I'm with Danielle on this. And not just because I remember discussions during the making of the Dark Horse Character Guide.

But since the cartoon is not a full episode (as in 21-min), by that alone I would not really call it as "131st episode" of 1983 show.

At best it would be a "special" in its own right. That harkens back to Filmation era.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I guessing am trying to fil the time in the mysterious age of sorrow and King heltors 1000year rule would have filled a chunk of that out. My timeline is currently using the filmation cartoon, vintage material, new adventures, 200x series and the classics/masters Mondays bios to create a narrative of of eternian history. I didn't myself think of the three terror story as part of that canon but was interested to see what other people thought

I guessing am trying to fil the time in the mysterious age of sorrow and King heltors 1000year rule would have filled a chunk of that out. My timeline is currently using the filmation cartoon, vintage material, new adventures, 200x series and the classics/masters Mondays bios to create a narrative of of eternian history. I didn't myself think of the three terror story as part of that canon but was interested to see what other people thought
    Ah, I thought it was a new timeline you were doing strictly for Filmation. Since it’s a hybrid timeline with different canons, it could certainly be included, in that case.
    We actually included the Three Terrors as villains in the Ultimates Ram Man bio for Classics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Heroic Warrior
    ah of course you did, a recall this now. Thanks Penny

Do we consider the Super7 Three Terrors cartoon canon in the original filmation series? i'm working on a timeline and not sure whether to add the 1000 year of King Heltor into it somewhere. Thanks
    To me, it's definitely He-man / Motu, but definitely not Filmation.
    How do you like that, hero!

I just saw this the other night and I thought it was awesome. Yes, I missed the old voices for Skeletor, Beast-Man and Mer-Man, but it was great how the Filmation animation style was brought back and the story and visuals were great. I wish it had been longer.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

For me it is, and it is so stand alone that it does not affect whatever episodes we got in the 80s.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I swear these figures were on clearance for ages. Then I read this thread and checked around online - Nope, now they're expensive collector's items. lol

Why would it be? It's done in a different format and the tone makes it more of a parody than anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    but it was great how the Filmation animation style
    There was zero rotoscoping involved.
    Even with the art style alone the dropped the ball.

Now if a certain Hollywood studio didn't ban a certain fan project - you would've seen how it's like when it's done properly...
    Last edited by Grimbot; June 12, 2020 at 01:54pm.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.