Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conan the Barbarian arrival thread.

Conan the Barbarian arrival thread.

Sculpted by the Four Horsemen
    On the MOTUC buck
    Released by Super 7
    Says MOTUC on the box

Three out of four ainít bad. Iíll roll the dice.

I quite enjoy this figure. But maybe thatís because I like to buy Mo-Larr and Zodac bucks and make mostly naked custom barbarians anyway. In the Super 7 tradition, they ruin several million lives with every figure release, so we will tally up the count. Lower is better. Each score is out of five million.

Sculpt: crisp and clean. On par with Movie He-Man, body wise. The head kinda looks like he has a shallow brain pan, but itís true to the artwork. The normal head looks like heís sleepy. The screaming head looks like heís yawning. But I imagine for Conan, slaying ogres is pretty boring. 2.5 million lives ruined.

Paint: Not much to speak of honestly. Heís mostly naked. I wish the ankle disc was in brown plastic to look like the sandal strap. The plastic isnít super shiny, so it has that going for it. Some people say he looks like he has eyeshadow on. To me it looks like shadows cast by the horns. You know how Ted Dansonís eyes are always in shadow, itís like that. 1 million and 1 lives ruined.

Articulation: Itís a MOTUC figure. Half a million lives ruined.

Accessories: They accomplish what they set out to do. The sword is plain. The spear is plain. Except the bloody ones, they are appropriately bloody. The necklace is kinda goofy but again, true to art. The little dagger that clips to his belt keeps falling off. I wish he came with a helmetless head, but maybe he never took it off in the comic. Heck if I know. 2 million lives ruined.

So we have 6 million and 1 (Ted Danson) lives ruined out of a possible 20 million. I think thatís a respectable score. Great job, Conan!

Last edited by hadley; June 3, 2020 at 07:06pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    On the MOTUC buck
    Released by Super 7
    Says MOTUC on the box

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3b8a785d74.jpg

I quite enjoy this figure. But maybe thatís because I like to buy Mo-Larr and Zodac bucks and make mostly naked custom barbarians anyway. In the Super 7 tradition, they ruin several million lives with every figure release, so we will tally up the count. Lower is better. Each score is out of five million.

Sculpt: crisp and clean. On par with Movie He-Man, body wise. The head kinda looks like he has a shallow brain pan, but itís true to the artwork. The normal head looks like heís sleepy. The screaming head looks like heís yawning. But I imagine for Conan, slaying ogres is pretty boring. 2.5 million lives ruined.

Paint: Not much to speak of honestly. Heís mostly naked. I wish the ankle disc was in brown plastic to look like the sandal strap. The plastic isnít super shiny, so it has that going for it. Some people say he looks like he has eyeshadow on. To me it looks like shadows cast by the horns. You know how Ted Dansonís eyes are always in shadow, itís like that. 1 million and 1 lives ruined.

Accessories: They accomplish what they set out to do. The sword is plain. The spear is plain. Except the bloody ones, they are appropriately bloody. The necklace is kinda goofy but again, true to art. The little dagger that clips to his belt keeps falling off. I wish he came with a helmetless head, but maybe he never took it off in the comic. Heck if I know. 2 million lives ruined.

So we have 6 million and 1 (Ted Danson) lives ruined out of a possible 20 million. I think thatís a respectable score. Great job, Conan!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...18dbdf2d0b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3c7c8da784.jpg

Awesome review! Thanks for the chuckle!
    Wanted in MOTUC: 1) Masks of Power Demons 2) Mini-Comics Tri-Klops 3) Hoove 4) Vintage Attack Trak 5) Leech (Club Grayskull)
    Like Shock Rock? Check out my band: www.reverbnation.com/massrejection

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Could you post some pics of the bloody weapons? I assume that is what is in the extra little box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    Could you post some pics of the bloody weapons? I assume that is what is in the extra little box.

Thanks
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The bloody weapons are still in their baggie, sorry, but there are shots of the packaging.

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    Thanks you for the images and review. Looks like another figure suffering from milky plastic syndrome. To be honest, at Super7's price range, this is unacceptable to me.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    On the MOTUC buck
    Released by Super 7
    Says MOTUC on the box

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3b8a785d74.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...18dbdf2d0b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3c7c8da784.jpg
    Thanks for the fun and straight to the point review.

Great job Super7 and 4HM for the awesome figure and nicely done packaging.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

This is also being discussed in the Other Forum thread here:

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...r-6-quot/page2
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Looks interesting, but i don't really see it as 'Conan'. To me, Conan is either the Arnold version (preferably Destroyer) or maybe the Frazetta novel covers... of the few books I read that was... but I never got into the comic so that head, that helmet and that necklace mean nothing to me. Kind of a cool barbarian i guess... but more of a Vikor than a Conan to me

The face/head sculpts are absolutely terrible. As much as I dislike the open mouth head it looks better than the other head.
    Aside from Mezco's One:12 hopefully Hasbro can make a real modern or classic comic Conan in Marvel Legends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Thanks you for the images and review. Looks like another figure suffering from milky plastic syndrome. To be honest, at Super7's price range, this is unacceptable to me.
    How does milky plastic compare to shiny plastic?

Got mine immediately made a custom out of him but that was the reason I bought him so makes sense, gotta say though, he is preatty cool

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Looks interesting, but i don't really see it as 'Conan'. To me, Conan is either the Arnold version (preferably Destroyer) or maybe the Frazetta novel covers... of the few books I read that was... but I never got into the comic so that head, that helmet and that necklace mean nothing to me. Kind of a cool barbarian i guess... but more of a Vikor than a Conan to me
    Funny enough, the Barry W. Smith depiction of Conan is the most accurate to his original descriptions....

In Robert E. Howard's stories, Conan is a muscular, yet lithe character who moves as fast as a panther. He is barbarian, in name only, due to the region of Hyboria in which he is born - but, throughout the serials and novels, Conan proves to be smarter than almost every "Noble Person" he ever comes across.

The Arnold and Frazetta forms were unique takes on the character by the casting director/artist. Subsequently, these proved to be very popular takes on Conan and thus, are the most well known.

(This is also why I think the Super 7 version is too buff...)
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Got mine a few days ago. I'm not a big fan of the character, but thought he would look good among the Preternia figures like Oo-Larr, Vikor, and Eldor.

I think the quality is outstanding. Super7 keeps improving on these, and it gives me real hope for the quality of the ThunderCats figures. This figure could stand alongside the best-quality Mattel MOTUC figures. IMO, there are no shininess or "waxiness" issues with the plastic at all. The plastic does feel a tad bit more rigid than Mattel plastic, but the overall finish and feel of the figure is high-quality. The paint is outstanding. The packaging is better than anything Mattel ever did with the MOTUC figures.

My only real complaint is -- and will continue to be -- the ridiculously huge window between pre-order and shipping. Super7 needs to stop over-promising until they can deliver more consistently.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Yeah Conan has so many iconic looks. I prefer the Sal Buscema version myself. Canít deny what Frazetta or Arnold did for the characterís iconic notoriety though.

Heroic Warrior
    Got mine the other day. No complaints from me. Great packaging, great sculpt and great paint apps. Love the added "bloody" weapons. Not really noticing milky plastic with mine.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Funny enough, the Barry W. Smith depiction of Conan is the most accurate to his original descriptions....

In Robert E. Howard's stories, Conan is a muscular, yet lithe character who moves as fast as a panther. He is barbarian, in name only, due to the region of Hyboria in which he is born - but, throughout the serials and novels, Conan proves to be smarter than almost every "Noble Person" he ever comes across.

The Arnold and Frazetta forms were unique takes on the character by the casting director/artist. Subsequently, these proved to be very popular takes on Conan and thus, are the most well known.

(This is also why I think the Super 7 version is too buff...)
    Momoa was probably about as close as we would get, granted Conan had a hairy chest.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Yeah Conan has so many iconic looks. I prefer the Sal Buscema version myself. Canít deny what Frazetta or Arnold did for the characterís iconic notoriety though.
    John was the one with the extensive Conan run. Sal was the Hulk artist.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Yeah, Sal's looks pretty good too.

I think it's the helmet that throws me off. I know i've seen the source material where this came from... but i never picture Conan wearing a helm like that. It's usually bareheaded that comes to my mind or maybe the headband from Arnold's movies. That or the necklace. I always remember my iconic Conan having that tooth necklace from Frazetta and Arnold.

Heís neat, but I canceled my preorder awhile back. Iím not to upset; I was freeing up a budget for the TMNT stuff.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Liberty, justice, peace. The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    The face/head sculpts are absolutely terrible. As much as I dislike the open mouth head it looks better than the other head.
    I got mine the other day, and I have to agree. I don't know what's up with the eye shadow and other changes.

I wanted these heads I pre-ordered.
    52983648_10102505326717123_945617288793423872_o.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I got mine the other day, and I have to agree. I don't know what's up with the eye shadow and other changes.
    I can understand that... in a lot of artwork, Conan has those deep sunk angry eyes. Not sure the 'eyeliner' works in the long run, but i can see what they were going for.

Conan_the_Barbarian_Vol_2_1.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, Sal's looks pretty good too.

I think it's the helmet that throws me off. I know i've seen the source material where this came from... but i never picture Conan wearing a helm like that. It's usually bareheaded that comes to my mind or maybe the headband from Arnold's movies. That or the necklace. I always remember my iconic Conan having that tooth necklace from Frazetta and Arnold.
    Where are you guys getting your info that Sal was a Conan artist? John was synonymous with the character second only to Frazetta.

He wears a horned helmet pretty frequently actually. In a lot of the Frazetta paintings as well as the iconic poster for the first movie. In the actual movie too, it's in the pit fighter montage and later on he's wearing the Gengis Khan style helmet, which is pretty popular as a meme these days.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    Where are you guys getting your info that Sal was a Conan artist?
    Google search. MJOLNIR mentioned it first, I did a search for 'Conan Sal' and I liked what came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    John was synonymous with the character second only to Frazetta.

He wears a horned helmet pretty frequently actually. In a lot of the Frazetta paintings as well as the iconic poster for the first movie. In the actual movie too, it's in the pit fighter montage and later on he's wearing the Gengis Khan style helmet, which is pretty popular as a meme these days.
    yeah, I've said before, I know that the horned helmet exists... and i've since seen the sources that they used to make the figure... so I know it's legit. However, as a fair weather fan who read a couple of novels and enjoyed the movies when i was a kid... and never actually read the comic... The horned look is not what my collective consciousness says is 'Conan'. There are some very iconic images that have buried itself into my mind... and that's not it.

No offense meant to 'better fans' who like it.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post

I wanted these heads I pre-ordered.
    Considering Super 7's track record it's no surprise the figure doesn't look like the prototype.
    The prototype face isn't perfect but it is vastly better looking.
    The prototype sculpt still doesn't really look like Conan but the paint apps help.
    The production figures bad paint just shows off how off the sculpt is.
    Last edited by Mark M; June 5, 2020 at 07:33pm.

For 8 years now I continue to be baffled at the standard some people hold these things to. Iíve never seen anything that looks just like the prototype.