Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Books Are You Eager To Add To Your Collection

Which Books Are You Eager To Add To Your Collection

Along with my CD's and DVD's, I am an avid book collector, mostly fantasy and science fiction, comics and graphic novels. I would love to get quite a few DC Comics Omnini (especially the Aquaman and Batman '66 books), as well as the rare and hard to find Hear The Roar: Thundercats book, Val Kilmer's memoirs I'm Your Huckleberry, Kathy Valentine's memoirs All I Ever Wanted: A Rock & Roll Memoir, the MOTU Toy Guide and World Guide & Character Compendium Supplement, and the She-Ra & The Princesses Of Power: Flower Of Truth novel.

I've also been collecting Power Rangers novels, I still need Mayhem From Moon Palace, Fish In Troubled Waters, and Mind Over Magic. I already have The Venomous Eclipse, Tournament Of Terror and All Fear The Pharaoh.

I'm also looking forward to getting the MOTU Uno Card Game and the new MOTU Board Game I've heard about. They should also create Princess Of Power and New Adventures Of He-Man editions for both.

I forgot to add I would also love to get The Art Of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Classic TMNT Little Golden Book as well as the Skeletor Little Golden Book.
    Last edited by Mikey; June 6, 2020 at 12:32am.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Actually waiting for them to do an 'Art of Magic The Gathering: Phyrexia/Mirrodin' book. Have all the other art books there (Ravnica is the best) but Phyrexia/Mirrodin seems like it would be fascinating.

Am trying to find a new set of World of Darkness, 7 door stopper novels I had in paperback ( they got burned up accidentally) that I'd love in hardback. Plus a few other. Sadly I haven't really found any new Sci-Fi to get me interested, which is a bummer.

I am thinking of getting into the Dresdin Files. Based on its reviews and summaries, it seems an interesting example of xenofiction.
    Last edited by Asher Tye; June 6, 2020 at 03:00pm.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

I would LOVE to get the beautiful Disney Art books by acclaimed artist Thomas Kinkade (his art is absolutely STUNNING), including the adult colouring books. He also does DC Comics art among other themes.

https://thomaskinkade.com/
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Y'know, I never really understood why people collected those art books for shows. I mean for me a book typically needs a story for me to be interested. Then I got my first one (Avatar The Last Airbender) and it started to make some sense. I actually have quite a few now, though the only Disney based one is Big Hero 6.

Right now, the only book I'm waiting for is book 11 of The Bad Guys. I know the book series is meant for a much younger age than I'm at (think Captain Underpants) in tone, but it's got this ultra-silly charm that I just can't help but like. Plus, with the DreamWorks movie coming out next year, I'm really excited for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Y'know, I never really understood why people collected those art books for shows. I mean for me a book typically needs a story for me to be interested. Then I got my first one (Avatar The Last Airbender) and it started to make some sense. I actually have quite a few now, though the only Disney based one is Big Hero 6.
    I LOVE art, so that's why I collect the art books, or at least that's why I want to. I love the feeling of "diving" into beautiful artwork and it really inspires me with my writing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootyCutie View Post
    Right now, the only book I'm waiting for is book 11 of The Bad Guys. I know the book series is meant for a much younger age than I'm at (think Captain Underpants) in tone, but it's got this ultra-silly charm that I just can't help but like. Plus, with the DreamWorks movie coming out next year, I'm really excited for that.
    A good book is a good book, doesn't really matter what its intended age group is. I'm still a fan of Mercer's Critter books.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I LOVE art, so that's why I collect the art books, or at least that's why I want to. I love the feeling of "diving" into beautiful artwork and it really inspires me with my writing.
    I like the notations they make explaining why they changed this or that about a character or place's design, or even explaining the meaning for some visual reference. Plus it can help me flesh out the character better when I'm using them in my own work.

I would also like to add more of the following DC Comics books from certain series to my collection:

DC Archives
    DC Showcase (Black & White 500 Page Editions)
    75TH Anniversary: A Celebration Of...[Insert Character]
    DC Rebirth

Ha, we're talking about this and I just got a note telling me "The Art Of Magic the Gathering: War of the Spark" is now ready for pre-order. Not Phyrexia, but I do like me some Nicol Bolas.

I am seriously thinking of checking out Chris Colfer's books The Land Of Stories and A Tale Of Magic, I love fantasy so these would really appeal to me.

I'm also intrigued by Disney's Twisted Tales books, an anthology series of books based around alternate "what-if" spins on familiar animated Disney films. They are written by Liz Braswell, Jen Calonita and Elizabeth Lim.

These books and the stories they are inspired by are as follows:

A Whole New World (Aladdin)
    Once Upon A Dream (Sleeping Beauty)
    As Old As Time (Beauty And The Beast)
    Reflection (Mulan)
    Part Of Your World (The Little Mermaid)
    Mirror Mirror (Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs)
    Conceal, Don't Feel (Frozen)
    Let It Go (Frozen)
    Straight On Till Morning (Peter Pan)
    So This Is Love (Cinderella)
    Unbirthday (Alice In Wonderland)

Another collection of Disney books I am fascinated by are the Disney Villains: Wicked Tales series by Serena Valentino, which are kind of like Twisted Tales, but told from the point of view of the villains:

Poor Unfortunate Soul (Ursula - The Little Mermaid)
    Mistress Of All Evil (Maleficent - Sleeping Beauty)
    The Beast Within (The Beast - Beauty And The Beast)
    Fairest Of All (The Wicked Queen - Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs)
    Mother Knows Best (Mother Gothel - Tangled)

*The Odd Sisters (*New Original Story)

- - - Updated - - -

The next lot of books I am eager to add to my collection are:

Little Golden Books:

80's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Masters Of The Universe (Skeletor)

Power Rangers Novels:

Mind Over Magic
    Fish In Troubled Waters

MOTU:

The Toys Of MOTU
    MOTU Character Guide & World Compendium Supplement

POP:

Flower Of Truth

I would LOVE to get the beautiful Disney Art books by acclaimed artist Thomas Kinkade (his art is absolutely STUNNING), including the adult colouring books. He also does DC Comics art among other themes.

https://thomaskinkade.com/
    Thomas Kinkade was a great painter...although A LOT of his art was not done by him personally and actually done by various artists that work for his studio.

There used to be an interesting video on Youtube actually showing Thomas paint one of his cottage scenes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    I have loads of art books and some for movies and TV shows and it is quite interesting reading about the inspiration and reasons for the creative process.
    I would quite like the art of The Rise Of Skywalker as it is supposed to contain a lot of concept art for the scrapped Duel Of The Fates movie which I think would have made a better Episode 9.

Another book I would like to read eventually is Stephen King's Cycle Of The Werewolf as I really like the movie Silver Bullet based on the book.

I would eventually like to track down and add the rest of the Trixie Belden books (written by Julie Campbell-Tatham and later a host of authors under the collective pseudonym "Kathryn Kenny") to my collection, I've read the books from #1 (The Secret Of The Mansion) to #34 (Mystery Of The Missing Millionaire), but I don't have the books from #35 - #39 which are:

#35 The Mystery Of The Memorial Day Fire
    #36 The Mystery Of The Antique Doll
    #37 The Pet Show Mystery
    #38 The Indian Burial Ground Mystery
    #39 The Mystery Of The Galloping Ghost

My ultimate favourite (and the first book in the series I ever read which introduced me to the rest) is #32 (Mystery Of The Whispering Witch). My favorite character in the series was Diana Lynch.

I would eventually like to track down and add the rest of the Trixie Belden books (written by Julie Campbell-Tatham and later a host of authors under the collective pseudonym "Kathryn Kenny") to my collection, I've read the books from #1 (The Secret Of The Mansion) to #34 (Mystery Of The Missing Millionaire), but I don't have the books from #35 - #39 which are:

#35 The Mystery Of The Memorial Day Fire
    #36 The Mystery Of The Antique Doll
    #37 The Pet Show Mystery
    #38 The Indian Burial Ground Mystery
    #39 The Mystery Of The Galloping Ghost

My ultimate favourite (and the first book in the series I ever read which introduced me to the rest) is #32 (Mystery Of The Whispering Witch). My favorite character in the series was Diana Lynch.
    I must look up Trixie Belden, never heard of her books before. I am a big fan and have almost all of The Three Investigators novels.

For our wedding day I bought my wife a gift. It was the first illustrated edition of her favorite book, Pride and Predjudice. This isn’t the the listing that I chose but this is the edition, it was a bit cheaper then, and this was the rare book seller that I used. The copy that I grabbed was in a bit better condition. From what I have read Jane Austin bought the illustrations out right and framed them throughout her home.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...srp1-_-title10

I want a first printing of my favorite book, Frankenstein. Recently I found a listing for a copy. It was one of the first 6 off of the press that was given to Mary Shelley from the printer. Inside the cover was an autograph and personal message to Lord Byron, whom she was with when she wrote it (the story was sort of a competition between the two while on a couple’s getaway). Legend says after Shelly read her story that Lord Byron ran of the vacation house in terror. I was willing to pay a lot for it, but the seller was asking 300,000 lb. Too rich for my blood, and frankly that belongs in a meuseum. But if I could have any book- it would be that exactly copy.

http://forreadingaddicts.co.uk/news/...-shelley/34751

That’s the edition, looks like it went a lot higher than 300,000 lbs after all.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; June 21, 2020 at 02:27pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Looking forward to the Marvel art of Savage Sword of Conan book coming out this August.

My Batman/Ninja Turtles 3 graphic novel arrived in the mail today!

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought the two Little Golden Books (Totally Turtles - TMNT) and I Am Skeletor (MOTU).
    Last edited by Mikey; October 12, 2020 at 06:50am.

I'm waiting for four books in the mail: two Power Rangers novels (Fish In Troubled Water & Mind Over Magic), a UK MOTU magazine, and a Shining Knight comic from DC Comics.

Disney is releasing a new entry in their Disney Villains book series (Evil Thing based on Cruella DeVil from 101 Dalmatians) and a new entry in their Twisted Tales series (Unbirthday based on Alice In Wonderland).

Another Disney Twisted Tale book is slated for a 2021 release, Go The Distance (based on Hercules).

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Go_th..._Twisted_Tale)

I'm looking forward to Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson coming out in November. It's the 4th book in the Stormlight Archive series.

My sister just bought me three more Disney Villains novels, The Beast Within (Beauty And The Beast), Poor Unfortunate Soul (Little Mermaid) and Mistress Of All Evil (Sleeping Beauty). I only need Evil Thing (101 Dalmatians) and the 9-book Disney's Twisted Tales book collection as well as the two new editions for Alice In Wonderland and Hercules.

I am also looking forward to Black Canary: Breaking Silence from the DC Comics Icons novel series.

I've got a BUNCH of Want-to-Read books on my Goodreads list, but I have to get through my TBR and Currently Reading pile first. I think I have about 14 titles I'm currently reading, including Caesar (Masters of Rome #5) by Colleen McCollough. My Kindle has about 152 titles on it right now, and that's after my most recent housecleaning.

Goodreads is SO dangerous. My friends and followers there keep adding to my TBR list.

I've started reading both the Disney Villains and Twisted Tales books, I've just finished Straight On Till Morning (a Twisted Tale based on Peter Pan) and Evil Thing (a Disney Villains book telling the story of Cruella De Vil from 101 Dalmatians). I'm buying Unbirthday this week which is a loose Twisted Tale based on Alice In Wonderland (and not part of the main 9 book set because it has only just been published).

- - - Updated - - -

I found three more fascinating books from Disney (they are not from the Disney Villains or Twisted Tales series), one is Aladdin: Far From Agrabah by Aisha Saeed and the other two are Frozen: Forest Of Shadows by Kamilla Benko and A Frozen Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...TV4DUTWQ&psc=1

http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1368043631/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...G83ECHGE&psc=1

I just bought Unbirthday the Twisted Tales version of Alice In Wonderland today, so I'm looking forward to reading that. Next on my list of books to add to my collection are DC Icons: Black Canary - Breaking Silence, the Disney Villains next release Cold Hearted (based on Lady Tremaine from Cinderella), and two more Twisted Tales based on Hercules and Tangled.

I still really want a collection of The Prydain Chronicles.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Master of New Adventures!
    Silly me, I thought someone would say "A first edition of The Old Man and the Sea", a leather-bound copy of A Tale of Two Cities or a signed copy of The Catcher in the Rye.