Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Origins - Minicomics Discussion Thread

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    seeing that comic that took 100 year in the past still squeezed Moss Man.
    Rob David has been guiding the MOTU storylines for years now. In Rob David's cannon, it's well established that Moss Man is really, really old, so he fits perfectly 100 years in the past (and would fit in even earlier than that, given that he's in the art for Camo Khan fighting alongside King Grayskull).

Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    Rob David has been guiding the MOTU storylines for years now. In Rob David's cannon, it's well established that Moss Man is really, really old, so he fits perfectly 100 years in the past (and would fit in even earlier than that, given that he's in the art for Camo Khan fighting alongside King Grayskull).
    I think he's saying it's odd to include a character that doesn't seem to be getting a toy while poor Mech-a-neck may get completely left out.

Although they could include him in the next deluxe mini comic with Thunder Punch He-Man and King Hiss.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/29/2022

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Wun-Dar's was also 10 pages.
    Minicomics really deserve to get atleast 10 pages to give a proper story. Hopefully more figures will get this treatment.

Thanks Smitty.81 for Kol-Darr's comic! Was a cool read!
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Fun read. Maybe it's lack of toys but it has very old-school feel like something from motu magazine.

He-Man vs Kol-Darr fight was odd because it was both main focus and it felt very short. They didn't even used their weapons.

But mostly I'm just surprised that writer got away with naming villain J' oeshoes.

Heroic Warrior
    But mostly I'm just surprised that writer got away with naming villain J' oeshoes.
    I came here to say the same thing

Fun read. Maybe it's lack of toys but it has very old-school feel like something from motu magazine.

He-Man vs Kol-Darr fight was odd because it was both main focus and it felt very short. They didn't even used their weapons.

I'm not even sure how to pronounce that name, so help me out here...
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/29/2022

They should have gone with Goobah, for the villians name. Pull something out of the vintage media, but thats just me .

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    They should have gone with Goobah, for the villians name. Pull something out of the vintage media, but thats just me .
    https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/...Images/007.jpg
    Is that the DC comic of the news paper comic? At any rate it's hilariously bad.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/29/2022

Heroic Warrior
    I assume this is a reference to this Joe Shoes? If so he knows.

https://twitter.com/TheJoeShoes/stat...37451734142980

(I have no idea who he is though.)

- - - Updated - - -

Is that the DC comic of the news paper comic?
    Neither. It's the Star/Marvel comic #7.

The Star comic does at times tame things down with both the Slime Pit and Blast-Attak being rather less scary than their basic components would suggest. (At the end of the run under a new writer things improve a lot and the final two parter is quite grim.)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by timrollpickering2 View Post

The Star comic does at times tame things down with both the Slime Pit and Blast-Attak being rather less scary than their basic components would suggest. (At the end of the new writer things improve a lot and the final two parter is quite grim.)
    Star Comic Blast-Attak is unironically my preferred depiction of Blast-Attak. A weird goon who splits in half and hops around on one leg to fight two guys at once is just the kind of silly fun I expect from this franchise, with its stenches of evil and guy who rolls around on his belly. "Guy who literally blows up" just never felt right to me.

Is that the DC comic of the news paper comic? At any rate it's hilariously bad.
    Its one of the marvels star comics from the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by Dylamug View Post
    Star Comic Blast-Attak is unironically my preferred depiction of Blast-Attak. A weird goon who splits in half and hops around on one leg to fight two guys at once is just the kind of silly fun I expect from this franchise, with its stenches of evil and guy who rolls around on his belly. "Guy who literally blows up" just never felt right to me.
    I originally thought he was supposed to be like a big steam kettle.
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Wave 9

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/29/2022

I hope Sun-Man won't be in every issue with Rulers of the Sun because his "Lol, I'm everything-proof" shtick gets old. Also this feels like the most anticlimactic ending to those comics yet. I know people criticised Leech story for sudden ending but at least Snout Spout saved the day by using his powers to cure zombies. Here Pig-Head runs off with ultimate powers, gloats about how mighty he is and one panel later "Impossible!". How is Sunny even using his powers without sun? Especially sad since rest of the story feels pretty good, like they took whole episode worth of team-up and successfully boiled it down to 6 pages until disappointing ending.

I hope Sun-Man won't be in every issue with Rulers of the Sun because his "Lol, I'm everything-proof" shtick gets old. Also this feels like the most anticlimactic ending to those comics yet. I know people criticised Leech story for sudden ending but at least Snout Spout saved the day by using his powers to cure zombies. Here Pig-Head runs off with ultimate powers, gloats about how mighty he is and one panel later "Impossible!". How is Sunny even using his powers without sun? Especially sad since rest of the story feels pretty good, like they took whole episode worth of team-up and successfully boiled it down to 6 pages until disappointing ending.
    Sun-Man's "indestructible beautiful brown skin" has always been too big a part of his power set. Aa for his power, maybe he's drawing them from the sun stone, and seeing as his powers don't even originate from Eternia's sun yet still work on Eternia I would assume any source of natural light could power him.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/29/2022

Unbreakable skin is one thing but it shouldn't fully negate concussive force. Unless he's built like Colossus with organic metal-like skin except it's built from adamantium.

It still feels like incredibly anti-climactic conclusion. If Pig-Head planned to backstab Skeletor, you'd think he had some kind of plan, instead, he's completely shocked that his nemesis actually followed him and shot him. I don't know what he expected. It just makes him look like an idiot.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by timrollpickering2 View Post
    I assume this is a reference to this Joe Shoes? If so he knows.

https://twitter.com/TheJoeShoes/stat...37451734142980

(I have no idea who he is though.)
    To be fair, I'm shocked at how many people did know who I was and reached out. But yes, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCafone View Post
    To be fair, I'm shocked at how many people did know who I was and reached out. But yes, I know.
    Haha that hilarious I was wondering about that name so did you write the comic , draw it, or design the figure, I guess I missed that part?

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    Haha that hilarious I was wondering about that name so did you write the comic , draw it, or design the figure, I guess I missed that part?
    None of the above actually. I am loosely associated with the Major Wrestling Figure Podcast and was invited to do some unboxing videos when the MOTU/WWE line was being released with Robert Rudman who actually does write the comics. I believe it was just him fitting that in because it certainly surprised the crap outta me when I was first made aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCafone View Post
    None of the above actually. I am loosely associated with the Major Wrestling Figure Podcast and was invited to do some unboxing videos when the MOTU/WWE line was being released with Robert Rudman who actually does write the comics. I believe it was just him fitting that in because it certainly surprised the crap outta me when I was first made aware of it.
    Hahaha that hilarious, so you actually had no idea he was going to do that and you randomly came across it when read the comic, it be like the best surprise in the world for me to be shoe horned the canon some way like, what a cool story!

Mod Note: I did some cleanup but in the future if you want to discuss the politics behind the race of a character or anything that is political, religious, or sexual in nature take it to the tar swamp. Thanks.

Heroic Warrior
    That Kol-Dar mini-comic was a fun read.

The cover for wave 10 mini.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/29/2022

The cover for wave 10 mini.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8708a82b84.jpg

Thanks I'll add that to the list.
    I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade who is a fan of the Sun-Man characters but I hope the mini-comic in every wave isn't going to feature a Sun-Man character. Cant we just get one cross-over issue that features them all and get them out the way so we can back to MOTU stories.

An updated list of the the Origins mini-comics so far, for my own reference if nothing else really.

Mind Over Matter (Wave 10)
    Legend of Space Sumo (Space Sumo)
    Lost Legend (Wun-Dar)
    Renegade Raid (Kol Darr)
    Night of Leech (Deluxe Wave 4)
    The Horrors of Pig-Head (Wave 9)
    Sun-Man Rises (Wave 8)
    Under Siege (Deluxe Wave 3)
    Challenge of Jitsu (Wave 7)
    Rock and a Hard Place (Wave 6)
    Horde Plague (Deluxe Wave 2)
    Sucker Punch (Wave 5)
    Sneak Attack (Wave 4)
    Battle Armor Reborn (Deluxe Wave 1)
    Dimensional Doom (Wave 3)
    Double Trouble (Wave 2)
    Beast Barrage (Wave 1)
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade who is a fan of the Sun-Man characters but I hope the mini-comic in every wave isn't going to feature a Sun-Man character. Cant we just get one cross-over issue that features them all and get them out the way so we can back to MOTU stories.
    They said we would get all 10 Rulers of the Sun characters in Origins.

1. Sun-Man
    2. Digitino
    3. Space Sumo
    4. Bolt Man
    5. Pig-Head
    6. Holographo
    7. Kikto
    8. Zap-Man
    9. Hypno
    10. Duplibot

We've already got three in regular waves and one in a three pack leaving 5 to get through and from the looks of thing we could be seeing two Snakemen per 2023 wave. With the potential for 10 Snakemen being...

1. Fang-Strike (Unreleased)
    2. Kobra Khan
    3. Rattlor
    4. Skeletor, Snake Armor
    5. Snake Trooper (Unreleased)
    6. Snappor (Unreleased)
    7. Tung Lashor
    8. Snake Face
    9. King Hiss
    10. Sssqueeze

By wave 14 they would be done with Snakemen and still have two more Rulers of the Sun figures to make, unless they do some more gift sets. I think the bigger question is who will they get from MOTU proper to fill those waves.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/29/2022