Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Origins - Minicomics Discussion Thread

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    I think the only real problem is him and Ninjor are the only humans that emulate Asians and they are both bad guys.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    I agree, and I think that's why we're getting Space Sumo so early in the Rulers of the Sun subline, even though he's not one of the more interesting designs.

At least vintage minicomics had us covered with heroic Asian, native Americans and black people (well, Eternia counterpart of those) appearing in Wave 3.

BTW next comic is called "Night of the Leech"

An updated list of the the Origins mini-comics so far, for my own reference if nothing else really.

Renegade Raid (Kol Darr)
    Night of Leech (Deluxe Wave 4)
    The Horrors of Pig-Head (Wave 9)
    Sun-Man Rises (Wave 8)
    Under Siege (Deluxe Wave 3)
    Challenge of Jitsu (Wave 7)
    Rock and a Hard Place (Wave 6)
    Horde Plague (Deluxe Wave 2)
    Sucker Punch (Wave 5)
    Sneak Attack (Wave 4)
    Battle Armor Reborn (Deluxe Wave 1)
    Dimensional Doom (Wave 3)
    Double Trouble (Wave 2)
    Beast Barrage (Wave 1)
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylamug View Post
    Off topic, but the fact we don't have Blast Attak yet so we can finish the 1987 Evil Warriors (and recreate that comic you posted) is starting to irk me. Like, we got Scare Glow, Faker and Ninjor immediately, and then Blast Attak will probably be one of thr very last vintage guys thry do.
    ... finish? There would still be Saurod, Blade and Twistoid.
    Though I think I get your meaning: Blast Attak was treated as part of Scare Glow and Ninjor's wave by that Star comic and the newspaper comic arc "Ninjor Stalks by Night", with the movie trio being introduced later and not interacting with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    At least vintage minicomics had us covered with heroic Asian, native Americans and black people (well, Eternia counterpart of those) appearing in Wave 3.
    The problem is that the minicomic "Double Edged Sword" only gave us a heroic old man and heroic little boy. Not exactly exciting figures to sell.
    Mattel should just exercise a smidgen of creativity and create at least one brand-new Asian guy. Lego Ninjago basically started out as an Asian Eternia and look how far that grew.

Quote Originally Posted by MCX-Eternia View Post

... The problem is that the minicomic "Double Edged Sword" only gave us a heroic old man and heroic little boy. Not exactly exciting figures to sell.
    Poor Eldor.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2022

The new 'Night of Leech' mini-comic from the Deluxe Wave 4 features the Smile-Pit Buzz-Off and Zodac that were release as mini figures. Nice to have them featured as I always thought it was a bit odd to just randomly release Slime Pit variants of theses two characters.

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    The new 'Night of Leech' mini-comic from the Deluxe Wave 4 features the Smile-Pit Buzz-Off and Zodac that were release as mini figures. Nice to have them featured as I always thought it was a bit odd to just randomly release Slime Pit variants of theses two characters.

https://toywizards.files.wordpress.c...s_p2.jpg?w=250 https://toywizards.files.wordpress.c...s_p2.jpg?w=250
    Where did you see the inside of the mini comic?

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2022

I wish they were in order. I'll take a look when I'm at home and see if I can actually read it.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2022

Court Magician
    Jitsu is a tough one. If you draw him wrong he could end up looking like a very unfriendly WWII propaganda poster. I think the only real problem is him and Ninjor are the only humans that emulate Asians and they are both bad guys.
    It's also a bit curious the way Filmation (and later the 200X Staction figure) went down the route of making him East Asian, especially as at the time he still had the working name of "Chopper". The toy (and more toy accurate media) looks Central to Southern Asian and not so much of an uncomfortable stereotype. Perhaps if he'd had that look in the cartoon he would have been used more.

Wow, just as I finish my attempt at customising a He-Man figure into a Slime Pit He-Man (not the easiest when the torso and waist just won't take dye). Unfortunately I don't think Buzz-Off would be easy to dye/paint and Zodac is now very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by timrollpickering2 View Post
    It's also a bit curious the way Filmation (and later the 200X Staction figure) went down the route of making him East Asian, especially as at the time he still had the working name of "Chopper". The toy (and more toy accurate media) looks Central to Southern Asian and not so much of an uncomfortable stereotype. Perhaps if he'd had that look in the cartoon he would have been used more.
    I don't feel bad for this, but I can't tell one kind of Asian person for another, and I'm the same way with Hispanics and my fellow white folk.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2022

Heroic Warrior
    Mattel obviously intended for him to be Japanese, because "jitsu" (also romanized "jutsu") is a Japanese word meaning "art, technique". Sure he's not light-skinned like most Japanese people, but stereotyping him to Japanese martial arts was the whole point of the design.
    But that's an artifact of the mind-space martial arts occupied in the West in and before the early '80s. These days you could base him on Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Mattel obviously intended for him to be Japanese, because "jitsu" (also romanized "jutsu") is a Japanese word meaning "art, technique". Sure he's not light-skinned like most Japanese people, but stereotyping him to Japanese martial arts was the whole point of the design.
    But that's an artifact of the mind-space martial arts occupied in the West in and before the early '80s. These days you could base him on Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
    You could base him on any kind of person. Anybody can learn martial arts.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2022

I don't feel bad for this, but I can't tell one kind of Asian person for another, and I'm the same way with Hispanics and my fellow white folk.
    Ive managed to guess a person's race based on certain features, but they have to be really obvious, like how Brits tend to have very prominent chins and often longer faces.

Locally, I still can't tell Indonesians apart from most Malays until the person speaks.

I love racial stereotypes, personally; hamfisted as they may be.

Many stereotypes come from a (greatly exaggerated) grain of truth and it's this exaggeration and ridiculous nature that I find lends itself well to a character if done right.

Jitsu and Ninjor are some of my favourite character designs and when I read jitsu's voice I hear him with this throaty exaggerated Japanese accent.

Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    I agree, and I think that's why we're getting Space Sumo so early in the Rulers of the Sun subline, even though he's not one of the more interesting designs.
    Personally, I'd rather they didn't.
    Better to be represented by a snazz villain design than a dull hero.

The wife and I have been very tickled by the minicomics; so bad they're good. I'm sure there's a simpler way to tell a story in so few pages, but I feel they're an entertaining attempt, especially when jitsu's plan to draw out He-Man was to run around breaking terrain and attacking wildlife.
    Last edited by binkibonsai; May 28, 2022 at 06:06am.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.

Quote Originally Posted by binkibonsai View Post
    especially when jitsu's plan to draw out He-Man was to run around breaking terrain and attacking wildlife.
    Jitsu, evil ass puncher of lions.

Anyway...

The deluxe mini comic #4
    (Not my pictures.)

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2022

Court Magician
    You can't tell the difference between someone of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladesh/Sri Lankan ancestry and one of Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese etc... ancestry?

Or are we using "Asian person" differently? Here it mainly refers to people of south Asian ancestry and for people of east/south east Asian ancestry it's a bit of a minefield. "Oriental" was in general use here much later than the US but thanks to globalisation is increasingly discouraged; however the replacement US term simply isn't workable here leaving a gap that the acronym "Esea" (East and South East Asian) may struggle to fill.

Mattel obviously intended for him to be Japanese, because "jitsu" (also romanized "jutsu") is a Japanese word meaning "art, technique".
    True but that wasn't the original name. There doesn't seem to be much known about his development and I'm always cautious about assuming a single corporate intention given how many people worked on the toys and many didn't always think as much about this stuff as fans (look at the great debate over Scare-Glow's identity).

All I can say for sure is that he never struck me as obviously Japanese and it was a shock to see how changed he was in the original cartoon and how that brief appearance has contributed to his obscurity.

I really liked that comic since Snout Spout was pretty much the main character as he was written as a pretty cool hero despite his underdog powers. It's nice to see him taken seriously and not just give him the "I'm useless" arc. Also neat that they included his UK origin.

Leech looks kinda funny in a few panels, a bit like a dog. And on the cover, he looks like he has hair?

Even knowing why these two were chosen for this story, the inclusion of Zodac feels so random, especially since he doesn't do anything. Maybe Horde's presence on Eternia upsets balance so badly that he's allowed to join Heroic Warriors?

Side note, intended or not, it does feel like Hordak's attack from Under Siege has long-term consequences. First He-Man is cleaning up leftover Troopers, then we see Mantenna is still on Eternia, and now heroes "track last of Hordak's horde invasion". BTW, I'm wondering if Swamp of Gangoon is from something. Google doesn't help.

Is it normal that Slime Zombies can be cured with enough water? I only recall seeing one Slime Pit story where He-Man was cured by some kind of magic intervention from Rock People's Sun Rock.

BTW, I'm wondering if Swamp of Gangoon is from something. Google doesn't help.
    It was in "The Stone of Nimyar" in Issue 3 of the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe magazine, Summer 1985.

https://archive.org/details/he-man-m...ordak/mode/2up

You can't tell the difference between someone of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladesh/Sri Lankan ancestry and one of Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese etc... ancestry?

Or are we using "Asian person" differently? Here it mainly refers to people of south Asian ancestry and for people of east/south east Asian ancestry it's a bit of a minefield. "Oriental" was in general use here much later than the US but thanks to globalisation is increasingly discouraged; however the replacement US term simply isn't workable here leaving a gap that the acronym "Esea" (East and South East Asian) may struggle to fill.
    Yeah Aisa is a big place with a lot of diversity. Grouping all Aian people into one group is really unfair. Generally I try not to look at people as being from a place because untimely it doesn't matter.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2022

Court Magician
    And yet another take on Zodac - this time just a regular member of the Heroic Warriors. When will he ever get a permanently settled role in the franchise?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it normal that Slime Zombies can be cured with enough water? I only recall seeing one Slime Pit story where He-Man was cured by some kind of magic intervention from Rock People's Sun Rock.
    I'm not sure there's a great deal of fiction with Slime Zombies either from Mattel or licenced. In the Star Comics series the pit seems to be an elaborate way to drown people more than anything else and Adam escapes when he gets the sword and transforms into He-Man with the slime seemingly blown away by the transformation itself. The Classics bio for Horde Zombie He-Man suggests an initial cure similar to the vintage mini comic and a later re-zombification was cured by She-Ra's healing powers.

And yet another take on Zodac - this time just a regular member of the Heroic Warriors. When will he ever get a permanently settled role in the franchise?
    There's nothing here that says he's not a cosmic guardian.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2022

Court Magician
    There's nothing here that says he's not a cosmic guardian.
    No but there's a style to cosmic overlords and it isn't wandering around a swamp as part of a group on a search mission. Or getting easily taken down by a standard Horde parasite.

Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    It was in "The Stone of Nimyar" in Issue 3 of the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe magazine, Summer 1985.

https://archive.org/details/he-man-m...ordak/mode/2up
    Say what you want about the writer, he clearly knows his MOTU lore.

Now I'm really hoping the Kol-Darr comic will drop somewhere early. With only one established character, it could be about anything.

Though Wun-Dar minicomic should be pretty interesting, seeing that it will be the first story Wun-Dar will ever get (he was in Revelation but he wasn't really doing anything. It wasn't about him).

Say, I know comic just acted as if everything was normal when He-Man and Skeletor turned all 200x but if they ever get New Adventures toys, how do you think they'll justify it? Or will they just change clothes and weapons and go on about their business?
    Last edited by Bear; May 28, 2022 at 03:32pm.

Say, I know comic just acted as if everything was normal when He-Man and Skeletor turned all 200x but if they ever get New Adventures toys, how do you think they'll justify it? Or will they just change clothes and weapons and go on about their business?
    My hope would be that we get a Galicia Guardian and Evil Mutant in one wave with the mini comic being about their arrival on Eternia then the next wave would have NA He-Man and Skeleter with the mini comic showcasing they on Primus. I don't see the need to explain how they got their new looks just that they have them on Primus.

But I don't think we'll see any NA characters or looks until 2024 as they seem to be gearing up for the Horde and Snakemen.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2022

Say what you want about the writer, he clearly knows his MOTU lore.
    At the very least, the writer has a copy of Dark Horse's Character Guide and World Compendium, which includes an entry for the Swamp of Gangoon.