Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 126

Thread: MOTU Origins - Minicomics Discussion Thread

  1. #101
    Court Magician Joker CK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Shepshed, United Kingdom
    Posts
    35
    Since international fans are missing out on the text in the printed versions of the comics, could mattel not give them the option to download a pdf version with translated dialogue? That way it avoids printing costs and I'm sure it would be fairly easy to edit the text in the speech balloons.

  2. #102
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker CK View Post
    Since international fans are missing out on the text in the printed versions of the comics, could mattel not give them the option to download a pdf version with translated dialogue? That way it avoids printing costs and I'm sure it would be fairly easy to edit the text in the speech balloons.
    That's not a bad idea. But that would still require having someone translate them into every language where the toys are sold then paying someone to upload them to the right server. Then there's the possibility that some this may have to be changed for various cultural reasons. Like I said it's a good idea but Mattel does not seem to think it's worth the effort. Not when we'll do it for them.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2021

  3. #103
    Court Magician Joker CK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Shepshed, United Kingdom
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    That's not a bad idea. But that would still require having someone translate them into every language where the toys are sold then paying someone to upload them to the right server. Then there's the possibility that some this may have to be changed for various cultural reasons. Like I said it's a good idea but Mattel does not seem to think it's worth the effort. Not when we'll do it for them.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

    That's probably the reason why they won't do it. I'm sure for the English speaking countries it wouldn't be a major issue though surely? I'm in the UK, so whilst I understand the reasoning behind making the comics 'universal' by removing the text due to it being part of multilingual Europe, I would like the option to read the original. As you say though, so long as awesome people in the He-Man community are willing to share scans with fellow fans, Mattel are unlikely to bother.

  4. #104
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    8,550
    A list of the the Origins mini-comics so far, for my own reference if nothing else really.

    Horde Plague (Deluxe Wave 2)
    Sucker Punch (Wave 5)
    Snake Attack (Wave 4)
    Battle Armor Reborn (Deluxe Wave 1)
    Dimensional Doom (Wave 3)
    Double Trouble (Wave 2)
    Beast Barrage (Wave 1)
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

    Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

  5. #105
    Heroic Warrior Horde Cadet Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    81
    I really feel like the new minicomics are lacking in the gravitas the vintage ones possessed. The vintage ones, even when they adopted the Filmation continuity seemed to focus on worldbuilding. Even the later Classics comics seemed to want to create an epic scope to the story. These new ones just feel more...slice of life. Yeah, there's conflict, but there's also a smaller page count. Maybe I'm clouded by nostalgia, not sure, but the new ones just feel like they lack a certain something.

  6. #106
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Horde Cadet Kyle View Post
    Maybe I'm clouded by nostalgia, not sure, but the new ones just feel like they lack a certain something.
    It's called page count.
    In six pages, they can't fit in much more than "Here's where CHARACTER lives. Skeletor/Hordak has a scheme. OTHER CHARACTER(S) arrive from LOCATION. Fighting happens. Heroic Warriors win."

  7. #107
    Heroic Warrior Cosmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    190
    I have all the available mini-comics so far and find the one with Ninjor the best, but really I like them all.
    The Battle Armor one feels like it lacks a proper ending (I think they should put a “End” at the end, or the artists’ signature, small tricks like that can help).

    Overall I’m just so happy they are doing them, even if they are a bit short (and the international versions without text are really hard to understand).

    Producing / printing a little comic-book with your toy is a significant extra effort, and I’m just so happy Mattel is doing it. The mini-comics were an integral part of my Motu experience back in the day!

    I’m looking forward to the next ones, and I would looooove for a little longer story with a deluxe figure or vehicle... pretty please Mattel? ��

  8. #108
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Horde Cadet Kyle View Post
    I really feel like the new minicomics are lacking in the gravitas the vintage ones possessed. The vintage ones, even when they adopted the Filmation continuity seemed to focus on worldbuilding. Even the later Classics comics seemed to want to create an epic scope to the story. These new ones just feel more...slice of life. Yeah, there's conflict, but there's also a smaller page count. Maybe I'm clouded by nostalgia, not sure, but the new ones just feel like they lack a certain something.
    It doesn't really have the "charm" of the old minicomics, with all those wonderful art, dialogues and narrations. The art of the Origins minicomics are nice too but seems to be lacking in "personality" which is understandable. The Origins stories are also nice and more coherant than the old minicomics for obvious reasons. Still nice to have these new comics and hope it can be collected in book form too.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  9. #109
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    8,550
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Still nice to have these new comics and hope it can be collected in book form too.
    Yeah I was think once Origins is finished it would be nice to have them all collected including the comic art from the SDCC 2-pack and PC She-Ra packaging.
    The 2016 SDCC She-Ra doll also had a mini-comic that hasn't been collected anywhere so it would be great to have that included in a modern mini-comics collection as well.
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

    Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

  10. #110
    Heroic Warrior Horde Cadet Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    It doesn't really have the "charm" of the old minicomics, with all those wonderful art, dialogues and narrations. The art of the Origins minicomics are nice too but seems to be lacking in "personality" which is understandable. The Origins stories are also nice and more coherant than the old minicomics for obvious reasons. Still nice to have these new comics and hope it can be collected in book form too.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Well, I'm reading the Dark Horse omnibus of classic minicomics, and each feels like a complete story. They're not deeply interwoven plots that tell an overarching narrative, but they're good little bite size chunks. But one thing they do, is build out the world. We get things like Procrustus, the Goddess, Strongor and tons of other cool characters that never existed anywhere else (until Classics). And it was fun. It was different enough from the cartoon that it felt special, and a little smarter than the toon (especially since in the comics, the characters had the ability to hit each other). It kind of felt like the Big Kids version of MOTU.

  11. #111
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Yeah I was think once Origins is finished it would be nice to have them all collected including the comic art from the SDCC 2-pack and PC She-Ra packaging.
    You and me both. Let's hope for that.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  12. #112
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Yeah I was think once Origins is finished it would be nice to have them all collected including the comic art from the SDCC 2-pack and PC She-Ra packaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    You and me both. Let's hope for that.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    At this point I have everything scanned except for the exclusive stuff. If I can keep up with the line I might look into getting them out there maybe even work on some translations.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2021

  13. #113
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    At this point I have everything scanned except for the exclusive stuff. If I can keep up with the line I might look into getting them out there maybe even work on some translations.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    That would be great sir

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  14. #114
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    That would be great sir

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    This is assuming that Mattel would be cool with it. In my head I'd message Pixel Dan and he would get me in touch with Mattel, who would then get me in touch with the writers and artists for interviews then it would get put together in a book like the ones that Darkhorse has put out. Worst case would be Mattel says they're already going to do it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Wave 5


    Hey kids buy more Fakers!

    Deluxe 2

    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2021

  15. #115
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    This is assuming that Mattel would be cool with it. In my head I'd message Pixel Dan and he would get me in touch with Mattel, who would then get me in touch with the writers and artists for interviews then it would get put together in a book like the ones that Darkhorse has put out. Worst case would be Mattel says they're already going to do it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Wave 5

    https://i.imgur.com/o96XMrp.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/e67GHPu.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/ACjdEv7.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/cex32Ox.jpg
    Hey kids buy more Fakers!

    Deluxe 2

    https://i.imgur.com/Ul3dWUJ.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/SWxtU5l.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/WBNiXs4.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/c9Beik2.jpg
    Thank you again for the effort to post these here.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  16. #116
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Thank you again for the effort to post these here.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I hope the next wave wraps up what ever story they have going on or we learn about some new wave soon. At this point there's only one more mini comic that's confirmed maybe two or three if there's a wave with Grizzlor and a new deluxe mini comic with the Horde Trooper.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2021

  17. #117
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Thanks. I hope the next wave wraps up what ever story they have going on or we learn about some new wave soon. At this point there's only one more mini comic that's confirmed maybe two or three if there's a wave with Grizzlor and a new deluxe mini comic with the Horde Trooper.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    I did not like the ending with Fisto arc though, when in the end an army of Faker when shown. Faker is a unique character on its own and having him as an army kinda diminished his uniqueness. He is not merely a robot/android generic fodder IMHO, he is more special than being portrayed as such.

    Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  18. #118
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,211
    It was Faker in those Landshark promotional photos all along!

  19. #119
    Council Elder zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    15,573
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how the comic explains the Green Goddess in the next wave.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

  20. #120
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how the comic explains the Green Goddess in the next wave.
    Yeah, that should be interesting.

    I just thought about it after reading your post, but the Sorceress hasn't been depicted at all in the mini comics yet, either, has she? I think she was referenced, but not shown.

    I wonder if LOP Beast Man's appearance in the mini comic will just be regular Beast Man, or if they'll have some explanation for the different look. Evil Lyn v2 and LOP Mer-Man could easily go either way and it would make sense to me, but LOP Beast-Man looks like a completely different character.

  21. #121
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I wonder if LOP Beast Man's appearance in the mini comic will just be regular Beast Man, or if they'll have some explanation for the different look. Evil Lyn v2 and LOP Mer-Man could easily go either way and it would make sense to me, but LOP Beast-Man looks like a completely different character.
    The Wave 5 comic only depicts Evil-Lyn and Mer-Man on the last page, and they're still yellow and not distinctively LoP. So the artist might just draw regular orange Beast Man with Skeletor on Page 6 after a 5-page adventure of He-Man rescuing the Green Goddess from Webstor's bondage and Stinkor's smell.

  22. #122
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by MCX-Eternia View Post
    The Wave 5 comic only depicts Evil-Lyn and Mer-Man on the last page, and they're still yellow and not distinctively LoP. So the artist might just draw regular orange Beast Man with Skeletor on Page 6 after a 5-page adventure of He-Man rescuing the Green Goddess from Webstor's bondage and Stinkor's smell.
    Yeah, I forgot we already had their comic. Evil-Lyn doesn't look yellow to me, but she doesn't really look like the v2 toy either. But yeah, Mer-Man definitely looks v1/non-LOP.

    Green Goddess, Webstor, and Stinkor seem like such an odd trio to try to do a story around.

  23. #123
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,018
    Horde Plague is surprisingly dark and scary compared the the largely jovial minicomics we've gotten so far. That panel with Mosquitor sucking the blood of some woman in the shadows would have definitely scared the **** out of me as a kid.

    That's not saying it's bad, though. I really like that and hope this means if we get a Fright Zone playset, it'll be more technology based.

    Also, the Fisto comic is cute. I might end up picking up two to four Fakers because I like the idea of Skeletor having an army and idk if we're gonna get Skelcons or hover robots in this line. I also really hope we get a Snake Mountain playset soon (I hope it has like a full dungeon with like a door as well as an opening grate on top).

  24. #124
    Heroic Warrior xTIMMYxCOREx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Horde Plague is surprisingly dark and scary compared the the largely jovial minicomics we've gotten so far. That panel with Mosquitor sucking the blood of some woman in the shadows would have definitely scared the **** out of me as a kid.

    That's not saying it's bad, though. I really like that and hope this means if we get a Fright Zone playset, it'll be more technology based.

    Also, the Fisto comic is cute. I might end up picking up two to four Fakers because I like the idea of Skeletor having an army and idk if we're gonna get Skelcons or hover robots in this line. I also really hope we get a Snake Mountain playset soon (I hope it has like a full dungeon with like a door as well as an opening grate on top).
    Iím hoping hover robots are soon. But likewise I think Iím grabbing some extra fakers. And let the Leo Faker lead them.

  25. #125
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    idk if we're gonna get Skelcons or hover robots in this line. I also really hope we get a Snake Mountain playset soon (I hope it has like a full dungeon with like a door as well as an opening grate on top).
    Why wouldn't we, though? Hoverbots were in the Clamp Champ/Ram-man minicomic and Skelcons would be quick and easy reuse of the Skeletor buck. I'll be more surprised if we DON'T get them in Origins than if we do.
    Let's see a Deluxe Dylamug in MOTU Origins!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •