Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Origins - Minicomics Discussion Thread

Does anyone think we will see all of the vintage figures remade in this line? I feel like we are getting close. I don't see the line lasting much longer at retail. If that happens, I hope it becomes a Mattel Creations exclusive line with the made to order model.

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Does anyone think we will see all of the vintage figures remade in this line? I feel like we are getting close. I don't see the line lasting much longer at retail. If that happens, I hope it becomes a Mattel Creations exclusive line with the made to order model.
    I think there are other threads for discussing that.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 12/6/2022

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by timrollpickering2 View Post
    This one shows Hiss with a sort of harness:
    That looks to be just his regular human-disguise look based on the toy (no variant or additional harness)
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Just got a cheap, slightly beat-up Snout Spout from Amazon and read the mini-comic (I’m kind of behind)– I loved that one!
    Mostly because the group of heroes are kind of random , that’s the kind of comics I love for MOTU.
    Not just the newest wave, or MAA and Teela (no offense). Also nice to see Snout Spout basically a starring role here.
    A quick little adventure, with a great opening panel– excellent!

I still think they need some kind of “The End” at the end.
    Or like the signature of the creators, running up vertically. A ©. Just something 🤔

Not sure if the Local Comic Book Store regulars would support a monthly series like this… they like their superhero crossover mega sagas, more gritty helps.
    Maybe rather something for book stores, collections of chapters?

I’d support it in any way!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Just got a cheap, slightly beat-up Snout Spout from Amazon and read the mini-comic (I’m kind of behind)– I loved that one!
    Mostly because the group of heroes are kind of random , that’s the kind of comics I love for MOTU.
    Not just the newest wave, or MAA and Teela (no offense). Also nice to see Snout Spout basically a starring role here.
    A quick little adventure, with a great opening panel– excellent!

I still think they need some kind of “The End” at the end.
    Or like the signature of the creators, running up vertically. A . Just something

Not sure if the Local Comic Book Store regulars would support a monthly series like this… they like their superhero crossover mega sagas, more gritty helps.
    Maybe rather something for book stores, collections of chapters?

I’d support it in any way!
    The heroes used in the Snout Spout mini comic are the ones that came as "slime zombies" in the Eternian minis line.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 12/6/2022

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    The heroes used in the Snout Spout mini comic are the ones that came as "slime zombies" in the Eternian minis line.

Oh yeah, totally!
    It’s still a really nice selection. Spans a good range of heroes.

Snout Spout was several times prominently featured in such team adventures in the German Ehapa comics. (Since they came on the later side of the franchise). So this definitely hit a spot in me.

He-Man historian
    I really would like to know who the writer is and what kind of directive they get from Mattel.
    Mattel's Robert Rudman has been writing the minicomics.

But there is no info yet as to who the artist is...
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

An updated list of the the Origins mini-comics so far, for my own reference if nothing else really.

Rise of the Snake Men (Wave 11)
    Trial of Grizzlor (Grizzlor)
    Mind Over Matter (Wave 10)
    Legend of Space Sumo (Space Sumo)
    Lost Legend (Wun-Dar)
    Renegade Raid (Kol Darr)
    Night of Leech (Deluxe Wave 4)
    The Horrors of Pig-Head (Wave 9)
    Sun-Man Rises (Wave 8)
    Under Siege (Deluxe Wave 3)
    Challenge of Jitsu (Wave 7)
    Rock and a Hard Place (Wave 6)
    Horde Plague (Deluxe Wave 2)
    Sucker Punch (Wave 5)
    Sneak Attack (Wave 4)
    Battle Armor Reborn (Deluxe Wave 1)
    Dimensional Doom (Wave 3)
    Double Trouble (Wave 2)
    Beast Barrage (Wave 1)
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

anyone have the space sumo or rise of the snake men mini comics up for preview?

An updated list of the the Origins mini-comics so far, for my own reference if nothing else really.

Heart? of the Snake (Deluxe Wave 5) I'm not 100% the first word is 'Heart' as the cover is partially covered up
    Rise of the Snake Men (Wave 11)
    Trial of Grizzlor (Grizzlor)
    Mind Over Matter (Wave 10)
    Legend of Space Sumo (Space Sumo)
    Lost Legend (Wun-Dar)
    Renegade Raid (Kol Darr)
    Night of Leech (Deluxe Wave 4)
    The Horrors of Pig-Head (Wave 9)
    Sun-Man Rises (Wave 8)
    Under Siege (Deluxe Wave 3)
    Challenge of Jitsu (Wave 7)
    Rock and a Hard Place (Wave 6)
    Horde Plague (Deluxe Wave 2)
    Sucker Punch (Wave 5)
    Sneak Attack (Wave 4)
    Battle Armor Reborn (Deluxe Wave 1)
    Dimensional Doom (Wave 3)
    Double Trouble (Wave 2)
    Beast Barrage (Wave 1)

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    anyone have the space sumo or rise of the snake men mini comics up for preview?
    Only the covers have been shown s far.
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Minicomic glued to card in package

Just picked up Pig-Head from target and when I opened it, the back page of the comic was glued to the card and ripped even though I was careful opening it. I already had 200X He-man and Skelly from the wave so I'm not missing the comic, but if this was the only figure I'd picked up from this wave I'd be pretty unhappy. Has this happened to anyone else?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightOfGrayskull View Post
    Just picked up Pig-Head from target and when I opened it, the back page of the comic was glued to the card and ripped even though I was careful opening it. I already had 200X He-man and Skelly from the wave so I'm not missing the comic, but if this was the only figure I'd picked up from this wave I'd be pretty unhappy. Has this happened to anyone else?
    Happens all the time in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightOfGrayskull View Post
    About... A quarter of the time I buy figures online?
    Lost a couple of em that way.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.

I had wondered what that comic said - clearly I have the Int'l versions. Thank you SO much for sharing the actual story with us!

I really would like to know who the writer is and what kind of directive they get from Mattel.

I would assume the Space Sumo comic will have Sun Man but briefly, but I don't see He-Ro showing up with out an origins figure.

- - - Updated - - -

Wave 10 mini comic.

Quote Originally Posted by nealhyde View Post
    I had wondered what that comic said - clearly I have the Int'l versions. Thank you SO much for sharing the actual story with us!
    I'm happy to. I have been and will continue to post the mini comics here.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 12/6/2022

Regarding latest minicomic.

I can't say I loved this story. ROTS characters are starting to feel obstructive. When Wave 9 had Pig-Head and 2 200X characters, Mantenna naturally got a minor role for the sake of He-Man and Sun-Man vs Skeletor and Pig-Head. So obviously when Rise of Snake Men begins, with Snake Armor and 2 Snake Men main focus goes to...Bolt Man? Will next Wave have Skeletor in Snake Armor but any duel between him and He-Man will be derailed for Holographo? Doesn't help that Bolt Man is a full package, healing, fighting, offering wisdom, and even seeing somehow trough Snakes disguises. The idea of He-Man being poisoned is cool but that gets settled by the start of the second page so whatever.

Actual snakes appear briefly for a short inconclusive fight. I feel like writers are trying to make a bigger saga with this one, since Snake Men are played up as much more of a threat, without any comedic traits. But that means that the quality of this issue is dependent on the next story clarifying what's their plan.

Heroic Warrior Ultimate Sorceress's Avatar
    I follow the dude on social media who is writing the Origins mini comics. He seems like a massive life-long MOTU fan and is very passionate about He-Man and doing his dream job.

I think he's most probably been given an overall objective of incorporating the Rots characters in a substantial way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Regarding latest minicomic.

I can't say I loved this story. ROTS characters are starting to feel obstructive. When Wave 9 had Pig-Head and 2 200X characters, Mantenna naturally got a minor role for the sake of He-Man and Sun-Man vs Skeletor and Pig-Head. So obviously when Rise of Snake Men begins, with Snake Armor and 2 Snake Men main focus goes to...Bolt Man? Will next Wave have Skeletor in Snake Armor but any duel between him and He-Man will be derailed for Holographo? Doesn't help that Bolt Man is a full package, healing, fighting, offering wisdom, and even seeing somehow trough Snakes disguises. The idea of He-Man being poisoned is cool but that gets settled by the start of the second page so whatever.

Actual snakes appear briefly for a short inconclusive fight. I feel like writers are trying to make a bigger saga with this one, since Snake Men are played up as much more of a threat, without any comedic traits. But that means that the quality of this issue is dependent on the next story clarifying what's their plan.
    I want to know about this unseen fight between He-Man and King Hiss. Maybe that'll be covered in the Thunder Punch He-Man/King Hiss mini comic...

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 12/6/2022

Man, I´m really sick of all those ROTS character sucking all the spotlight Mini comic afer mini comic. Its Raise of Snake Men not The Rise of Bolt Man... Nah, it´s a lost fight...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorimir View Post
    Man, I´m really sick of all those ROTS character sucking all the spotlight Mini comic afer mini comic. Its Raise of Snake Men not The Rise of Bolt Man... Nah, it´s a lost fight...
    Totally agree.

Mattel, if you're reading, please move on from ROTS. They have nothing to do with MOTU and contribute nothing interesting to the Origins line or its minicomics.
    NEW WEBSITE - VAULTSOFGRAYSKULL.NET

Mattel definitely plans their toys at least a year in advance, likely more. The remaining 5 heroes are clearly already in making and there is no stopping that.

Heroic Warrior
    I've just realised that I wish Mattel had stopped at Pighead and Sun Man. I'm not sure I really want the rest of the crew outside Snake Mountain now.

in the last panel when he throw down the vile, is that just a smoke screen or does that vile some sort of posion that will slowly kill them, its a bit confusing. Rattlor says "remember then plan" , then the next panel, "you will die soon enough". Was the vile poison?

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    in the last panel when he throw down the vile, is that just a smoke screen or does that vile some sort of posion that will slowly kill them, its a bit confusing. Rattlor says "remember then plan" , then the next panel, "you will die soon enough". Was the vile poison?
    You'll have to but wave 12 to find out!
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 12/6/2022

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Mattel definitely plans their toys at least a year in advance, likely more. The remaining 5 heroes are clearly already in making and there is no stopping that.
    If thats true, thats too bad. It'd be amazing if Mattel could license some of the Remco stuff for Origins like Crystar, Warlord & Conan but I guess all that stuff is tied to Marvel and DC.