Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Origins - Minicomics Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vorimir View Post
    The Leech mini mini comic is fun but the ending is quite rushed, even for this kind of mini mini comics. And Zocad seems a odd choice for a "patrol" character. Man at arms should have fit better, and it would have been a nod to the Leech vintage cardback art when heīs defeating Duncan.
    Choice of side characters is based on MOTU Minis which hard Horde Zombies of He-Man, Buzz-Off and Zodac.

Ok, so it was a nod to Eternia Minis.

Looks like fisto is fighting the same Cyclops from wundars minicomic , is this a brand new character or a one off villain I'm not aware of ?

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk

New, like the skeletons.

Something I've been "wundaring " about , I understand the real life reason for wundar coming with the black zodiac armour , but what's the " canon " reason that he gets black armour and a ray gun , yet oolar gets the classic harness,axe and shield ? In my head canon I might make it that wundar has to find those items but what's everyone else's take ?

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    Something I've been "wundaring " about , I understand the real life reason for wundar coming with the black zodiac armour , but what's the " canon " reason that he gets black armour and a ray gun , yet oolar gets the classic harness,axe and shield ? In my head canon I might make it that wundar has to find those items but what's everyone else's take ?

I was hoping the mini-comic was going to finally explain this, but... nope. I was hoping there'd be some Zodac connection, but whoever's writing the stories here didn't go that angle. In my version, it's Zodac who's giving him these weapons and means of defense, rather than the Goddess.

You have the power to master your universe how ever you want.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/5/2022

Heroic Warrior Ultimate Sorceress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I was hoping the mini-comic was going to finally explain this, but... nope. I was hoping there'd be some Zodac connection, but whoever's writing the stories here didn't go that angle. In my version, it's Zodac who's giving him these weapons and means of defense, rather than the Goddess.
    That would've been a more original take on it. Like the Lanterns, Zodac conscripts Wundar because he's aware of the threats to Eternia. Btw. Is there a general timeline of what/who appears and when?

I'm not very familiar with the lore. Does Preternia and King Grayskull predate Wundar?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Sorceress View Post
    That would've been a more original take on it. Like the Lanterns, Zodac conscripts Wundar because he's aware of the threats to Eternia. Btw. Is there a general timeline of what/who appears and when?

I'm not very familiar with the lore. Does Preternia and King Grayskull predate Wundar?
    In the canons that he turns up in , I think so . Some say king grayskull was 10,000 years ago , revelation has him at 500 years ago ,(preternia is like heaven in revelation so all dead heroes are there including grayskull and wundar , I'm not sure how long ago revelation wundar lived )and 200x might be 1000? But wundars normally 100 years ago I think

Last edited by davelove81; July 25, 2022 at 07:24pm.

Widget

The beauty of MOTU since the early story inconsistencies (between the first mini-comics and the filmation cartoon) it is a world inside each one of our imaginations. I still tend to think of the "stories of old" being told in some Eternian tavern, when a story's action and conflict are more important the silly character/timeline continuities.

So for me, I try to wedge it all in somewhere. Wun-Dar was a Power Sword Protector (at least one half of the sword) but he did eventually leave that role to join the Cosmic Enforcers. Then the Oo-Larr/Jungle He-Man (and in my world he was the first to go by He-Man) story comes in. And that Skeletor was Skeletor after the blending of Keldor and Demo-Man, coming back through a time portal to capture the power of Grayskull when it temporarily did not have a Protector.

And two King Grayskulls? Yes, Great-Great-Grandpa Grayskull from Thousands of years ago when Preternia was the physical world of Eternia, and then Revelations Grayskull is still part of the lineage, but the Preternia of the past has become the "setting" or "spiritual design" of the "Protectors' Heaven during the time of Prince Adam.

- - - Updated - - -

Other note:

When Matty Collector was trying to blend all of the stories over the years, couldn't Oo-Larr have kept the name He-Man (that we first read in the first mini-comic)? Couldn't he just be part of the avatar that Adam calls upon when he gets power from Grayskull.
    Revelations plays on the power sword being split. And it in the first mini-comic it started split into two swords. So the power of King Grayskull was split up: the Power Sword (in two pieces) and his mighty/loyal fighting spirit in the castle. And since Oo-Larr was from a time of the split sword, he didn't need to go through a transformation (or couldn't directly call upon Grayskull), he was already a He-Man. I don't know if he needed to be a descendant of Grayskull for it to really matter. Oo-Larr just got boosted from his weapons/equipment.
    Later the power gets taken from the combined swords and stored in the castle, and that is what leads to the Adam transformation. Now the Power of Grayskull can only be borrowed from Grayskull by the current protector/champion.

Quote Originally Posted by 1moreMOTUfan View Post
    The beauty of MOTU since the early story inconsistencies (between the first mini-comics and the filmation cartoon) it is a world inside each one of our imaginations.
    That's what I've been saying, and that was part of the point back wen MOTU first started.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/5/2022

ÖI still tend to think of the "stories of old" being told in some Eternian tavern, when a story's action and conflict are more important the silly character/timeline continuities.
    In my head, this is an awesome setting for a episodic live-action MOTU show. I can see an older Man-At-Arms sitting in the tavern, telling tales and spinning yarns through flashbacks as the story of the Masters and Eternia are revealed. Occasionally, someone like Stratos stops in and more secrets and stories of their heroics are revealed. Maybe in the vein of Vikings or V:Valhalla. I donít knowÖI can see it in my head and itís not as cheesy as it sounds. Itís very epic.

Iím ready to direct, Mattel. I have a vision.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstor View Post
    In my head, this is an awesome setting for a episodic live-action MOTU show. I can see an older Man-At-Arms sitting in the tavern, telling tales and spinning yarns through flashbacks as the story of the Masters and Eternia are revealed. Occasionally, someone like Stratos stops in and more secrets and stories of their heroics are revealed. Maybe in the vein of Vikings or V:Valhalla. I donít knowÖI can see it in my head and itís not as cheesy as it sounds. Itís very epic.

Iím ready to direct, Mattel. I have a vision.

That is a spot-on visual for me, with Man-At-Arms. I am seeing it too.

An updated list of the the Origins mini-comics so far, for my own reference if nothing else really.

Legend of Space Sumo (Space Sumo)
    Lost Legend (Wun-Dar)
    Renegade Raid (Kol Darr)
    Night of Leech (Deluxe Wave 4)
    The Horrors of Pig-Head (Wave 9)
    Sun-Man Rises (Wave 8)
    Under Siege (Deluxe Wave 3)
    Challenge of Jitsu (Wave 7)
    Rock and a Hard Place (Wave 6)
    Horde Plague (Deluxe Wave 2)
    Sucker Punch (Wave 5)
    Sneak Attack (Wave 4)
    Battle Armor Reborn (Deluxe Wave 1)
    Dimensional Doom (Wave 3)
    Double Trouble (Wave 2)
    Beast Barrage (Wave 1)
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

That is a spot-on visual for me, with Man-At-Arms. I am seeing it too.
    Iím glad someone else can see it! I canít get it out of my head now

So Magistrate J'oeshoes is the fat guy on the cover, interesting story here, i like the way they depict Shadow Master in the minicomic, although don't love the illustrations 100%, the style is a bit off for me, but cool to finally see Kol-darr in some other media. Adds to his back story!

Heroic Warrior
    Has anyone posted the kol-darr or space sumo mini comics?

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    Space Sumo isn't out there yet. But I saw Kol-Darr comic.

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    I should have Koldar on Wednesday, so I'll get some good scans up by the end of the week.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/5/2022

Lol darrs mini comic is EXACTLY what I want out of an origins mini comic interesting story , good world building , simple well executed concept and something a bit different to the standard he man v skeletor plan of the week . I hope these all get collected in a book one day with the card back and box art included

Heroic Warrior
    Kol-Darr's mini comic is a little longer than other minicomics, it's actually 10 pages, which was nice. Just be careful removing it, the right side of mine appeared to be taped to the package. Luckily I didn't tear it much, but lost a sliver of cover page at the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Kol-Darr's mini comic is a little longer than other minicomics, it's actually 10 pages, which was nice. Just be careful removing it, the right side of mine appeared to be taped to the package. Luckily I didn't tear it much, but lost a sliver of cover page at the edge.
    Wun-Dar's was also 10 pages.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/5/2022

Funny that a single character gets more room to breathe than 4 characters who get basically 1,5 page for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Funny that a single character gets more room to breathe than 4 characters who get basically 1,5 page for them.
    The Wun-Dar mini comic does a lot of world building, establishing Origins as its own universe. It also introduced Mossman and Sherella, so the focus is not 100% on Wun-Dar. Also, we're paying $2 US more than retail figures.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/5/2022

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    The Wun-Dar mini comic does a lot of world building, establishing Origins as its own universe. It also introduced Mossman and Sherella, so the focus is not 100% on Wun-Dar. Also, we're paying $2 US more than retail figures.

No, we're paying much more than that to Uncle Scalper.

I'll admit, I am a tiny bit disappointed that Kol-Darr didn't had any vintage characters seeing that comic that took 100 year in the past still squeezed Moss Man. Especially since Mekaneck isn't getting his own comic so he either squeezes in or will miss out.