Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Simpsons will no longer have white actors voice non white characters

The Simpsons will no longer have white actors voice non white characters

https://www.thewrap.com/the-simpsons...te-characters/

Let this show just die already! it hasn't been relevant in 20 years when it should had ended 20 years ago with Behind the Laughter then become a soulless shambling husk of it's former self known as Zombie Simpsons. Same for Family Guy and Spongebob as those need to die too.

I've been a fan of The Simpsons since i was 5 turning 6 when they debuted on Tracy Ullman and i was 8 when their own show debuted as a Christmas special and taped episodes from 1989 to September 2000. I remember Simpsonsmania in the 90s with the arcade games, the BK toys as a kid, a stuffed Bart i won in Vegas when i was 9 at Circus Circus, had some shirts, books, magazine, comic and all as Simpsons was glorious back then. Then after Season 11, i noticed the characters i know and love, no relatable characters, no soul, the humor was different and poor storytelling. I stopped watching The Simpsons in 2005 as it was getting stale/repetitive and sticking to Seasons 1 to 11 on DVD as in classic Simpsons when it had heart, satire, humanity, soul and excellent writing and smart sarcastic humor plus good characterization and memorable episodes. To me The last memorable episode worth a damn was Behind the Laughter and it should had ended there beautifully.

Let's face it, this show is no longer relevant in this century as it was in the 90s as the classic episodes still hold up nicely and are classics and excellent stuff. But not Zombie Simpsons (Seasons 12 to now) which needs to die. I mean today we have Bojack Horseman, Rick and Morty, F is for Family and more in the tradition of classic The Simpsons (not Zombie Simpsons) when it comes to quality adult cartoons. But even Bojack Horseman ended this year which i'm glad it did as it ended beautifully and so did King of the Hill, Futurama, Regular Show etc. as those shows knew when to quit before overstayed their welcome and become stale, repetitive corpses that are puppeted on strings (ala Weekend at Bernies) like The Simpsons, Spongebob and Family Guy. Call it quits Fox, Simpsons had a good run and had their time in the sun, now it's time to let it go.

The show is like a beloved childhood/teenhood friend who's been on life support for a long time, i come to accept he's gone and waiting for someone to finally pull the plug and end his life already so he won't suffer anymore.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

The actor that plays Cleveland in Family Guy is also no longer voicing the character.

Quite frankly I think this all pathetic.

Voice acting is about the voice of the character. Peoples race, gender, religion and politics should not make any difference when casting a role.

Studios hired a small number of talented actors who could do multiple voices to keep the cost low.
    If they started hiring numerous characters for every role it would just make the shows more expensive.

I would rather a character be voiced by a talented actor rather than just someone that meets the certain criteria of the character.

While we are on this there are lot of famous characters played by people that don't match their race or gender.

Surely though it won't just be white actors who will no longer voice certain roles and be issuing apologies.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    I won't be happy until actual cartoons do the voices for cartoons. #cartoonjustice

Arenít all Simpsons characters yellow anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    Arenít all Simpsons characters yellow anyway?
    No, only the white people are yellow. All other ethnicities are different colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    No, only the white people are yellow. All other ethnicities are different colours.
    Asians on the show are pale white like if a vampire sucked their blood.

On Futurama, i'm glad Caucasians have the right skin color
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    This is just getting ridiculous. The really sad thing is that most normal people don't even want stuff like this to happen. It's really a very vocal minority posting on social media expressing outrage over this stuff... and everyone (Hollywood, corporations, etc.) are completely giving in to them and giving them power as a result.

This isn't going to change until these shows, movies, and corporations push back and stand up for common sense.

The actor that plays Cleveland in Family Guy is also no longer voicing the character.

Quite frankly I think this all pathetic.

Voice acting is about the voice of the character. Peoples race, gender, religion and politics should not make any difference when casting a role.

Studios hired a small number of talented actors who could do multiple voices to keep the cost low.
    If they started hiring numerous characters for every role it would just make the shows more expensive.

I would rather a character be voiced by a talented actor rather than just someone that meets the certain criteria of the character.

While we are on this there are lot of famous characters played by people that don't match their race or gender.

Surely though it won't just be white actors who will no longer voice certain roles and be issuing apologies.

I've never been a fan of The Simpsons, but I can understand people being hesitant and apologetic about certain roles, especially in these racially-charged times we live in lately. I applaud being sensitive and compassionate about not appearing racist in these times, and commend the actors for doing all they can to avoid racist tropes of any kind.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Will the woman who voices Bart quit now too so we can get a white male actor to do his voice? It really isn't fair to the male actors that women are stealing jobs that men should have. That's completely sexist IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I've never been a fan of The Simpsons, but I can understand people being hesitant and apologetic about certain roles, especially in these racially-charged times we live in lately. I applaud being sensitive and compassionate about not appearing racist in these times, and commend the actors for doing all they can to avoid racist tropes of any kind.
    The problem is people are deliberately looking for things to be offended at and it's too easy for people on social media too label people as racist etc.
    What use is an actor being apologetic for a role they have played for 20-30 years and profited from. Not many are going to be sending their pay back to the studios.
    To me a voice is just a voice. It shouldn't matter who is doing the voice.

The problem is people are deliberately looking for things to be offended at and it's too easy for people on social media too label people as racist etc.
    What use is an actor being apologetic for a role they have played for 20-30 years and profited from. Not many are going to be sending their pay back to the studios.
    To me a voice is just a voice. It shouldn't matter who is doing the voice.
    See he doesn't get it like alot of things is this crazy world people only care about what concerns THEM and THEM only.

If we learned to focus on ALL problems instead of one or two but that isn't going to happen because people don't care they only want to appease certain people and screw everyone else....

On an aside, I get so jealous when I see animated shows like Spongebob somehow last for 20+ seasons while my beloved MOTU only got a paltry 2 (3 if you include POP)...just think of what a treasure trove of rich lore our favourite property would have by now if the show, toys, comics, etc had lasted at least a decade beyond initial launch. Everything since then, especially the ongoing Classics bios, are desperately attempting to fill the gaps and compensate for the lost opportunities resulting from premature cancellation and misguided reboot attempts.

Heroic Warrior
    This is good and all but they better not stop here. There are several Indian tribes that donít like the sports teams named after them. For some reason that is forgotten in this time of change you speak of.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    On an aside, I get so jealous when I see animated shows like Spongebob somehow last for 20+ seasons while my beloved MOTU only got a paltry 2 (3 if you include POP)...just think of what a treasure trove of rich lore our favourite property would have by now if the show, toys, comics, etc had lasted at least a decade beyond initial launch. Everything since then, especially the ongoing Classics bios, are desperately attempting to fill the gaps and compensate for the lost opportunities resulting from premature cancellation and misguided reboot attempts.
    Well.... He-man did a little better than that. We got around 65 episodes each season... where most shows only do about 22 or less. Total imdb lists 130 he-man and 90 She-ra... for a total of 220 episodes In fact it took Simpsons over 6 years to get as many episodes as He-man did. If you included She-ra in there, they didn't pass that episode count till season 10. Spongebob has been on the air since 1999 and only has 272 episodes listed. So we did pretty darn good comparatively.

People can mock the reused animation and cost cutting shortcuts that filmation used.... but they DELIVERED. 10 seasons of content in 3 years is not too shabby.

Shouldn't an actual sponge be doing the voice of Spongebob??

I always felt that Nickelodeon was being insensitive toward the sponge (and sea star) communities...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by j-manbp View Post
    This is good and all but they better not stop here. There are several Indian tribes that donít like the sports teams named after them. For some reason that is forgotten in this time of change you speak of.
    Frankly because there are also a lot of Indian tribes who love that sports teams are named after them and take pride in it. Our local CMU Chippewas have always worked with the school and have fought AGAINST changing the names.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

I always felt that Nickelodeon was being insensitive toward the sponge (and sea star) communities...
    Yes and heaven forbid when the animals are offended by having their names used for profit...

Then teams like the Chicago Bulls,Pittsburgh Penguins,Carolina Panthers,Jacksonville Jaguars and others will have to be re-changed.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Frankly because there are also a lot of Indian tribes who love that sports teams are named after them and take pride in it. Our local CMU Chippewas have always worked with the school and have fought AGAINST changing the names.
    I too have seen many cultures backing something like this it only seems like the people that are offended by these things are doing one of two things:

1.Putting their PERSONAL agenda first and NOT the right cause/reason
    2.Want to make themselves out to be a " s j w" even though they are not (Go to reason #1)

I just don't understand why people can't see that compassion and sensitivity toward others is a good thing all round.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

I just don't understand why people can't see that compassion and sensitivity toward others is a good thing all round.
    Compassion and sensitivity for others is great. Quite frankly I would fully support and agree with actors refusing and stopping voicing characters if the character was a hurtful racial stereotype that offended people. But as far as I know The Simpsons have new once did a racially offensive joke.

Family Guy on the other hand has made racial jokes. Although Cleveland and other African American characters were always portrayed respectfully by the actors and writers.
    As far as I can recall the only racial joke made towards black people were all done by Seth McFarlane. Family Guy was never that good but since it came back season 4-what ever number they are now has got terrible since Seth mostly uses the show and Brian especially to express his views.

Compassion and sensitivity for others is great. Quite frankly I would fully support and agree with actors refusing and stopping voicing characters if the character was a hurtful racial stereotype that offended people. But as far as I know The Simpsons have new once did a racially offensive joke.

Family Guy on the other hand has made racial jokes. Although Cleveland and other African American characters were always portrayed respectfully by the actors and writers.
    As far as I can recall the only racial joke made towards black people were all done by Seth McFarlane. Family Guy was never that good but since it came back season 4-what ever number they are now has got terrible since Seth mostly uses the show and Brian especially to express his views.
    I've never actually watched any of those types of shows, they just don't appeal to me. My favourite comedian has always been Bette Midler (I even have her comedy album Mud WILL Be Flung Tonight), but she has NEVER used racial sterotypes, misogyny or homophobia in her comedy). Her jokes are mostly sexual in nature (bawdy but funny) which I could never post anywhere but in the Tar Swamp.

No outrage for characters like The Flying Dutchman? It is well past time the living impaired were allowed to voice themselves. Reg Shoe would not stand for this.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

MOD NOTE:
    So far, so good, but this could easily be into Tar Swamp territory, so let’s all be sure to avoid that.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Just think how my dog feels knowing Frank Welker voiced so many animal voices. Why didn't these studios hire real animals to do those parts? Are you telling me no monkey was available to do parts for Abu? They couldn't find a real blue tang to voice Dory?

In all honesty, I dont think I ever really considered the race or sex of the VA when when it comes to the character. Its neat to see the person behind the voice, yes, and there are some tidbits that show up that are quite interesting such as with Wart from Sword in the Stone, but for me the voice belongs to the character. Especially in the instance where the character is good enough to have a life of their own.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

I've never actually watched any of those types of shows, they just don't appeal to me. My favourite comedian has always been Bette Midler (I even have her comedy album Mud WILL Be Flung Tonight), but she has NEVER used racial sterotypes, misogyny or homophobia in her comedy). Her jokes are mostly sexual in nature (bawdy but funny) which I could never post anywhere but in the Tar Swamp.
    I've never heard any of her jokes. Will have to watch one of shows some time.
    I like Richard Pryor, Billy Connelly, Joan Riders, Jo Brand, Ross Noble, Conal Gallen, Brendan Grace, Freddie Starr and Chris Rock and a few others.